Urodynamic Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinlove4

Contributor
Has anyone done it?
Any advice? What happens during it? Will I have to go infront of them? How long does it take? Basically tell me everyone!

The best course of action is to go in blind. They will probably give you something to relax you. The less you know the better

Reactions: eastcoastdl
jasonm03 said:
The best course of action is to go in blind. They will probably give you something to relax you. The less you know the better
Like relax me as anxiety wise or meds to relax me to use the bathroom?

Thinlove4 said:
Like relax me as anxiety wise or meds to relax me to use the bathroom?
The less questions you ask, the better. It'll be fine, don't worry about it.

To expand on my previous post - don't worry as the doctors should make you feel comfortable while they do the procedure.

Done it twice. Search for it online and in this forum. Using a catheter and sensors, the main objective is to find out your bladder capacity, muscle nerve impulses (or lack thereof), control (or lack thereof) and post-residual volume. It doesn't last long. Breathe slow and easy and it will fine.

Yes, at some point, you will release the water solution they pump into your bladder. A pad will soak it all up. This is a very important test if you have urge incontinence. Good luck.

There are three major urological tests, the first is normally urodynamics. This involves arriving at the appointment with a full bladder. you will have a very small sensor attached just inside the rectum and then you will be allowed to relieve yourself into a special container, this monitors how much pressure you are using to empty yor bladder it will also measure the strength and duration of your flow. After that you will be catheterized and your bladder will be filled with saline water until you start to feel pain. This gives your total bladder capacity.

2nd test, usually done on a separate day is a simple ultrasound. Again you will have to arrive with a full bladder, an ultrasound is done, you are then allowed to relieve yourself and a 2nd ultrasound is done. This shows whether or not your bladder is emptying completely.

3rd test is a cystoscopy which is having a thin flexible camera (slightly larger than a catheter) inserted into the urethra and then into the bladder so the technician can check for any abnormalities. this is done under a local anesthetic and the only really painful part is when the camera has to pass through the interior sphincter at the neck of the bladder.

eastcoastdl said:
The less questions you ask, the better. It'll be fine, don't worry about it.
Ok but I am worried about it and want answers. I am going to do it but I personally want to know what it will be like so I won’t be as anxious. That’s why I asked on this.

Spaz said:
Done it twice. Search for it online and in this forum. Using a catheter and sensors, the main objective is to find out your bladder capacity, muscle nerve impulses (or lack thereof), control (or lack thereof) and post-residual volume. It doesn't last long. Breathe slow and easy and it will fine.

Yes, at some point, you will release the water solution they pump into your bladder. A pad will soak it all up. This is a very important test if you have urge incontinence. Good luck.
Not sure if you know but at any part during the test will I have to go number 2, given meds to relax my butt (not sure another term) or if I have an accident with number 2 what happens?
Thank you for your reply! It’s very helpful!

no need to be worried, for the most part it's embarrassing as there will be both male and female staff present, however they are used to dealing with people with continence issues so even if you have an accident it will be dealt with, although you may have to spend an extra hour or so in clinic whilst you drink gallons of water or they may give you a new appointment. You should no that most urology tests are inconclusive and you may need other non-invasive tests such as an MRI. Also about 10% of urology tests are negative, but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem. Also some incontinence has a physiological and psychological component and can be the result of various types of stress.

Not normally Urodynamics is to do with the kidneys, ureter, bladder and urethra. If you were to have such an accident make sure you have a fresh pair of underwear or nappy with you and wet wipes, normally the nurses would help with any clean up.

Thinlove4 said:
Not sure if you know but at any part during the test will I have to go number 2, given meds to relax my butt (not sure another term) or if I have an accident with number 2 what happens?
Thank you for your reply! It’s very helpful!

You shouldn't have to go #2 unless you also have bowel incon. And, they don't give you meds to relax your butt. However, if you do have an accident, it's no big deal.

Update: the test went fine but was slightly painful. They diagnosed me with dysfunctional voiding. The most embarrassing moment was when they took out the little catheter in my butt I accidentally did poop on the floor which she cleaned it up. Other than that it was fine!

Thinlove4 said:
Update: the test went fine but was slightly painful. They diagnosed me with dysfunctional voiding. The most embarrassing moment was when they took out the little catheter in my butt I accidentally did poop on the floor which she cleaned it up. Other than that it was fine!
Uuugh, I remember the anal catheter. It's actually a weakly inflated balloon (which you may not had even noticed), that measures how much your muscles in that area are contracting while trying to void (conversely it can also measure abdominal pressure in relation to bladder pressure). Still, it's better than the old version which used a long needle they stick in you between the scrotum and anus. Newer test machine versions don't need either the anal balloon or needle though. You never know which machine they will be using on you till you get there though.

Didn't know about the needle, don't like the sound of it at all, here in the UK they use a soft probe just inside the rectum.

PCBaby said:
Didn't know about the needle, don't like the sound of it at all, here in the UK they use a soft probe just inside the rectum.
Don't get me wrong here, the needle was used with the urodynamics test like 20+ years ago, and even this it was probably old tech at the time. My first few tests were done at an old military hospital, then at the VA. Neither were well funded so that's what they had. I doubt any old-ish or semi-modern facility anywhere would still use them today. I'd guess the anal probe is probably the most common right now, and the majority of my 20+ urodynamics test all used the probe. But my last uro test was about 3 years ago at the Mayo clinic in Florida. They stay really modern and on the cutting edge, and did not need or use even the anal probe with their machine. It was "nice" as far as any urodynamics test can be.

Nice isn't the word I'd use especially for the cystoscopy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back