Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggles

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi guys.
My Gp wants to send me to urologist for urodynamics study.
Is it as horrible and unpleasant as I think it will be. I actually feel quite anxious and don’t want to go.
Would like to here of your experience with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sucks! They put a 8fr catheter in your penis. They attach electrodes into your anus, like piercing into the skin. It hurts at first, then just feels awkward after. They fill your bladder and see how much it can take. Then at the end they put another catheter in to see how much residual urine you have. Good luck haha! I did it twice, never again.

You might ask if they can check the residual urine by ultrasound. It give a ball park figure but can vary. Not sure how accurate this needs to be but I wanted to share that option.

I had it done a few months back and it was a little uncomfortable but wasn't bad. Got me they had me urinate first and then put a Cath in to make sure their was no residual and then put another Cath in for filing the bladder and then a diff Cath in the anus that has sensors to measure pressure and a couple of electrodes

Yeah, it's not horrible bad, just uncomfortable enough to be unplesant. They don't stick needles in you anymore either. That's the old tech. So is inserting a second catheter. Now they just record how much goes in, and how much you pee out. Simple really.

You start with an empty bladder and they ultrasound scan you to see how much residual is left. Then they will insert a small catheter, slowly fill your bladder up and record your sensations. When you really can't hold anymore they stop and let you pee out the catheter. The worst part is having a bursting full bladder, but that's it.

You should also know this is just about the only diagnistic tool urologists have for diagnosing bladder problems. Without it, you are almost guaranteed to not get any further help. As such it is really important to go through with the test, and doubly important you finish the test too. Don't let them stop the test no matter how uncomfortable it may be. Otherwise I can just about guarantee you'll eventually be back for a retesting later on.

I agree that the procedure is somewhat unpleasant, but not terrible.

I had this done last year -- the catheter they use is really thin. It feels bizarre at first, but it's honestly not that bad.
In the world of medical tests, it's really not bad at all.

I've had multiple urodynamics and cytoscopes done. I'm not a fan, but these tests are essential to checking out the function and potential diseases of the bladder. Just remember to breath deeply during the test, report what you're feeling and it will be over before you know it. Good luck.

Catheters are not that bad at all. If it's really only an 8fr as described earlier, you most likely won't even feel it going in. I was catheterized for 3 years 24/7 and changed out an 18fr-26fr weekly myself. Posters (here and elsewhere) need to stop scaring others when it comes to catheters.

I had one done, it involved 3 catheterizations, each one more painful than the last. I had read here that it was no big deal, so I wasn't mentally prepared for something that literally had me almost screaming at the end.

I guess everyone's experience is different.

Relax and breathe it’s uncomfortable towards the end. The VA ultrasound for residual urine and gave me the results with in a few hours. Don’t know how long it may take with regular dr

Whether this test is painful or not I think depends a lot on two things:

1. Do you think it will hurt or not.

2. Your tolerance for pain.

Since these are not absolutes and everyone is different, everyone can have the same procedure and report different results (as to the amount of pain).

The procedure itself isn't bad its mostly just awkward and the unpleasantness of the catheter. I had one done and to me awkwardness with the damage to my ego was the worst part as there was a female nurse and my wife present.

Had two. Try to relax. It is not painful unless you tighten up or fight it. If you relax it will have minimal discomfort. You may fill a brief burning when the catheter enter the blather and that is about it.
Then they test for flow rate and when you sense that you need to empty blather.

As mentioned, having the catheter inserted is probably the worst part, or possibly having a bursting full bladder. That will vary for everyone though depending on if you have a sensitive urethra and catheter insertions hurt, or if your urges are severe. Either way, it's probably not going to be any worse than the worst you've already experienced.

Thankyou all so much for your help, it can be such a valuable source of information and I am greatful for all of your assistance. I will talk it through with my Gp and see where it goes before I make appointment with urologist,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some tests are unpleasant, but I couldn't avoid all.

I just had one. It isn't pleasant. But I have an overactive bladder, which means that sometimes I urinate as much as 20x a day. I plan my activities around this; urinating before meetings, movies, or getting in the car; avoiding fluids when I am going to be traveling by air, etc. The possibility that this might help the doctor pinpoint and treat the cause seems worth it, though I haven't had a follow up with the doctor yet.

Mine involved urinating into a funnel to measure flow rate, and inserting one catheter. That was probably the most uncomfortable part. There was one sharp pain (I think when it entered the bladder). Then, I stood over the funnel, and the bladder was emptied via the catheter. After that, they filled my bladder with saline solution until it was quite uncomfortable. I had a probe/sensor in my anus to measure abdominal pressure, and sensors attached to the skin around the anus. The technician described that as being like an EKG for your butt. That was not uncomfortable, though he told me the used to insert needles, which made it more uncomfortable. After I reached my bladder filling discomfort threshold, I emptied through the catheter. Following that, the tech measured my urethral pressure. That seemed to involve slowly removing the catheter. That was a bit uncomfortable, but not horrible.

After the procedure, urinating was a bit uncomfortable for a couple of hours. But I've had UTIs that had worse symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back