• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Unable to browse 'away' members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I found myself wondering whatever happened to a certain member on the forums here (who I haven't seen much of lately), but when I go the Members List section and browse for him, he's not there - presumably because his member status is 'away'.

Why is it that members who are away don't show up in the list, but members who are banned do show up?

...or is there a setting or or other section that I just don't know about :confused:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
It's supposed to be that way. It only lists active users. Lurkers / people who are away don't really deserve to be called "members" of the forum until they become active again.
As for banned members: Leaving the bad examples of people we do not want here visible to everyone does serve a purpose too.

Peachy

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
You should note that you can still see these users' profiles by manually building the link:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/members/<username>.html

That's what I had been doing to see how long people had been gone.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
It's supposed to be that way. It only lists active users. Lurkers / people who are away don't really deserve to be called "members" of the forum until they become active again.
As for banned members: Leaving the bad examples of people we do not want here visible to everyone does serve a purpose too.

Peachy

Really? So if I was gone for awhile (long enough for my status to become 'away') you would no longer think of me as a member? Even if I had been quite active up until that point and would continue to be upon my return? Ouch.

chevre said:
You should note that you can still see these users' profiles by manually building the link:

http://www.adisc.org/forum/members/<username>.html

That's what I had been doing to see how long people had been gone.
Problem is...what if I only remember part of the username (or don't remember the exact spelling?)

IncompleteDude

Est. Contributor
Role
Private

Peachy
Do you purge old banned members eventually? Because otherwise the member list will slowly become filled with them, which may not be the best image to have.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
It would be nice to have a list of away members somewhere, like we have the list of banned members.

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent

Peachy
How can you consider banned members "members" and not away or inactive people "members"? Doesn't make sense to me :detective3

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Members whose names don't appear in the member list can still be browsed. If they're in your friends list, their profile can be accessed that way. Otherwise, navigate to a post they made and click on the username there.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
How can you consider banned members "members" and not away or inactive people "members"? Doesn't make sense to me :detective3
I consider banned members bad examples that should be displayed for everyone to learn from. And the member list's functions seems to show the active members of the forum - those you could send a PM and expect a reply from within a reasonable time frame.
Maybe the criteria for inclusion in the members list need refinement to show people with a long-standing history as an active member who are away for a while, but I see no point in listing hundreds of lurkers who've created an account just to never to return again.

Peachy

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
We go through this problem with our church membership, haha. We have a process for dropping them from the church roles. We try to contact them for three years, etc. If we get no response after that time, and usually they've been sent letters, etc., they get dropped. It's not something we like to do, but they give us a false sense of being larger than we really are, and we have to pay an apportionment to the conference for each member. I wonder if there is a procedure here for dropping long ago members who've shown no activity say two or three years from now?

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
I consider banned members bad examples that should be displayed for everyone to learn from. And the member list's functions seems to show the active members of the forum - those you could send a PM and expect a reply from within a reasonable time frame.
Maybe the criteria for inclusion in the members list need refinement to show people with a long-standing history as an active member who are away for a while, but I see no point in listing hundreds of lurkers who've created an account just to never to return again.

Peachy
I agree, listing all the lurkers who posted 1 thing then disappeared would be pointless, but what if anyone who had over 100 posts and 0+ rep was also listed? Or it listed 'away' members but not lurkers....

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Newbies that sign up and then forget everything about the site are also away users.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
It would be nice to have a list of away members somewhere, like we have the list of banned members.
As a moderator on a couple Yahoo groups, I've seen where they are set up in a similar way - one queue for active members and a separate one for banned members. I've both banned spammers and also un-banned users who wanted to make amends for their mistakes which got them banned. Of course, I'm not dealing with people banned for the reasons they're banned here, except maybe for spammers.

~Pramrider

MrE

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I wouldn't mind being available on the memberlist.
I know I hardly ever post but.......it would be nice to be there if someone in the TB/DL community was looking for me.
(I've been a member on ADISC/TBDL for a loooong time)

Edit: Oh I'm classed as a regular again. Well there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.