UK- why have Pull-Ups Night Time and DryNites 3-5?

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I’m curious as to why in the UK you can buy Pull-Ups Night Time pants 5-6T and also DryNites age 3-5 when they have exactly the same weight range of 16-23kg for the child wearing them.

Does anyone know the reason?

The only reason I can fathom is that the Pull-Ups Night Time are “aspirational”, that is to say that the child is “trying” to be dry, whereas the DryNites are for those resigned to the fact that the child will almost definitely be wetting themselves that night.

Does anyone know the reason for sure?

I'm sure it's basically very in-depth thought out marketing by Huggies: they'll have a customer "journey" (horrible word!) from nappies, into Pull-Ups and then (for the majority) no more protection. Dry-Nites I'd guess are another product aimed at different markets.

I imagine a marketing guru would explain it better than I could guess at though!

billybobtombo said:
I'm sure it's basically very in-depth thought out marketing by Huggies: they'll have a customer "journey" (horrible word!) from nappies, into Pull-Ups and then (for the majority) no more protection. Dry-Nites I'd guess are another product aimed at different markets.

I imagine a marketing guru would explain it better than I could guess at though!

That kinda makes sense.

I’d have thought it was cannibalising the market, but I guess they must know what they’re doing?

billybobtombo said:
I'm sure it's basically very in-depth thought out marketing by Huggies: they'll have a customer "journey" (horrible word!) from nappies, into Pull-Ups and then (for the majority) no more protection.
I'd agree, espescially given the Pull-ups have the wetness indicator when the DryNites don't, so there's an expectation that, one morning, they might dry.

I know here in the US, some products qualify for food stamps/welfare/Medicare and others don’t, like Pull Ups don’t qualify but Goodnites do. Idk if it’s a similar situation there though.

PaddedBrony said:
I know here in the US, some products qualify for food stamps/welfare/Medicare and others don’t, like Pull Ups don’t qualify but Goodnites do. Idk if it’s a similar situation there though.
That would explain this, but also to some 5-6 yrs old kids that may need them at night, the Pull-Ups are for babies, while Goodnites may fit into something else in their mind, even if we all know they're basically pull-on diapers, the marketing is different.

Aren't the two companies autonomous or at least semi-autonomous? If both products are profitable, then it would make sense to have both. Only if they are stepping on each other's toes too much would one bow out. Seems like here in the US they don't overlap because most kids in that age range still just wear regular diapers to bed and there isn't enough demand for night training pants to make both products profitable.

My guess is all to do with marketing. It could very well be a case of survival of the fittest. See which sells the best, and the other goes extinct. It is very common for companies to test out products and product changes with little to no announcement…. The numbers speak volume.

CodyBaby said:
That would explain this, but also to some 5-6 yrs old kids that may need them at night, the Pull-Ups are for babies, while Goodnites may fit into something else in their mind, even if we all know they're basically pull-on diapers, the marketing is different.
Also very true. Perception is everything to kids.

Also, my blurb was a first thing in my head and pre-coffee thought this morning 😅

It's basically the same in the U.S. with the 4t-5t pullups overlapping the XS and even into the S/M range for Goodnites. The basic idea is they target different markets, at least onstensibly. Pull-Ups are for kids who are still potty training. Goodnites/Drynites are for kids who are potty trained but still wet the bed. Some kids might be sensitive to the difference, too. I personally wasn't quite aware of the difference until a bit later in childhood.

Riddy said:
It's basically the same in the U.S. with the 4t-5t pullups overlapping the XS and even into the S/M range for Goodnites. The basic idea is they target different markets, at least onstensibly. Pull-Ups are for kids who are still potty training. Goodnites/Drynites are for kids who are potty trained but still wet the bed. Some kids might be sensitive to the difference, too. I personally wasn't quite aware of the difference until a bit later in childhood.
What about using Pull-Ups for those that still need to wear diapers without having to use tapes, but are not potty training?

Last edited:
bigtoddler96 said:
What about using Pull-Ups for those that still need to wear diapers without having to use tapes, but are not potty training?
Many parents do this, and when it comes time for real potty training, they get confused and parents wonder why, for the last 6 months they would just check and change their Pull-Ups as needed and ignore their request to go potty (I've seen this a few times more than I would have expected, use your Pull-Ups its there for that), than suddenly they want the child to go potty and avoid wetting or messing their Pull-Ups

bigtoddler96 said:
This is my first time hearing of someone doing that with their kid.

Back