Not open for further replies.

Maux

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I refuse to buy anything with the "breathable" label attached to it. It is always a waste of money. They're always terrible, and it's just awful that so many in the industry are switching to it. Completely awful and terrible.

TheOriginalSomeThing

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Other
I'm very disappointed by this news - I do have a modest stash of the current 2007-2013 model of Tena Slip Maxi at my UK address, but I've run out here in the US - I guess I'll invest in buying up the rest of Bambino's stash of Tenas.

I'm also surprised no-one in this thread has brought-up Tena's Slip Ultima product. It's based on the same basic design as the current smooth-plastic Slip Maxi, but the main backing material was a nice, high-quality cloth-like material (that feels the same as 2002-2004 EU Pampers, I'll note), and it has a plastic landing zone with adhesive tapes, rather than doing the no-landing-zone+velcro-tapes that the other manufacturers have gone with (Abena, Lille, Depend, etc).

Tena Slip Ultima is amongst my favourite diapers all-around, and is my current #1 for comfort and absorbency, so I assume Tena will keep the same great cut and construction in this new refresh (rather than the truly awful cut and construction of Tena USA, blegh!), but this does mean I have high-expectations about the new Slip Maxi - I expect it to be the same as Slip Ultima, but with less capacity - if this is the case then I can live with it. But if they're going with velco tapes then we're doomed.

Tena's backing material was unique and I've grown to appreciate its soft texture, so I will miss it. Though I hope eventually the ABDL diaper manufacturers will adopt better-quality backing materials and construction techniques (e.g. no more pad-backing separation please!). Maybe Bambino et al. could license the production techniques from SCA?

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
..... "family jewels". (slightly more appropriate)
or 'crusties' :biggrin:

Maurepas said:
I refuse to buy anything with the "breathable" label attached to it.
no scuba-diving for you, then ;)

i agree with tiny's point about the stretch/give/structural-failure: i use Indaslip regularly and the 'give' has to be the one major fault with them; and given that Indaslip are still smooth plastic between the legs, i think i'll be bothering with Tena far less.

Bigessexdl

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I find it funny that I am like one of the few abdls that hates plastic pants xD. I don't know why I hate them. They just look ugly/creepy to me and seem like they would get annoying. :laugh: No offense to anyone.

Regardless like PrincessLilyLuna said, we should not be fighting each other over this. If anything both abdls and IC people need to be screaming at the companies to give us the choice. It should be up to us to pick what we want, not the companies.

I agree, but for me nothing feels or looks the same as just a plastic backed happy

Luckyfish

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Please dont hate, but im happy about this.
The Tena flex Maxi is a wonderful product let down by a scratchy belt and a narrow behind fit.
The Slip Maxi has super smooth plastic and is wide but the plastic makes me sweat and gives me bumps over where i word the diaper and sweated profusely.
Its like my loins are running a fever!

BrattyPrincessSophie

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
If you prefer cloth backed, more power to you. But ultimately, I have to say this is bad news and no one should be happy about it because it removes consumer choice from the equation which leads to a lose/lose situation for both the consumers and the businesses. I would much rather have a choice in what type of backing I want I want than to have one dominate the other. In fact, I think a little call to arms would be effective. I say we as consumers should use our power and vote with our wallets and give our monetary support to companies who give us a choice and lock away our wallets in Fort Knox away from the companies who instead insist on making choices for their consumers rather than giving them the choice. Isn't it better to band together and stand up for consumer choice than to fight amongst ourselves and be happy about news of one type of diaper phasing out the other? I know I would rather have a choice of what products I use then be limited to whatever options companies see fit to provide me, though I only speak for myself and not the entire IC community, but I do hope I'm not the only one who sees the value in consumer choice. With choice everyone gets what they want and thus, everyone wins, as the market should be. The best way to achieve this is to show the market that customers want choice.

Starchild

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
This is devastating news to me, Tena slip maxis were my first adult nappies and I have only ever used them, the plastic is very important to me, no, it's vital! I think this could mean no more nappies for me. I will have to start stocking up but its going to be hard keeping those nappies aside because I enjoy wearing them so much. I wonder if theyare able to tell when they are going to make the changes I shall send them an email as I need to talk to them about returning some faulty nappies, the lady on the phone said I just have to send one back plus the pack it came from, but on the website it says to send 3 pads back, I want to know what is correct so I will ask about the breathable ones as well. I tried some Ultimas last week, got them of ebay, I was curious just top see if I could get on with cloth feel nappies, I didn't enjoy it. I also invested in my first pair of plastic pants recently because I have been wanting to experiment with terry towelling nappies as that's what I wore as a baby. I wore the plastic pants over the ultima and it was better but still not right, its not the same feel. next week I shall get my first ever towelling nappy, I hope I enjoy it because it might be soon my only option :-( Thank you paddedpuppy for the heads up, even if it is bad news)

Soakingboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Hello All.
I certainly prefer the plastic backed products, as for me the sound and feeling of them is wonderful. However, I do still also buy products that are cloth backed, as they do have advantages of being more comfortable in warmer conditions and also a little less obvious to the outside world.
The news of Tena Slip moving to the breathable "cotton feel" doesn't surprise me, but is a bit disappointing.

Now, I have not read all 7 pages of messages on here, so not sure if this has been mentioned already.. but, I think it is quite interesting to follow the trends a little bit. I'm mostly based in Europe, and get most of my diapers here. I tend to use Save Express in Germany. What I have noticed lately... not only has ID SLIP who had moved their products to the breathable fabric variety now returned with plastic backed diapers, also Abena AbriForm M/L4 has made a return in our beloved plastic-backed guise! To me that tells me there is the desire for plastic. Manufacturers have not completely given up on it. Perhaps this is not the end...!

Take care friends
A.

sambus

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hello All.
I certainly prefer the plastic backed products, as for me the sound and feeling of them is wonderful. However, I do still also buy products that are cloth backed, as they do have advantages of being more comfortable in warmer conditions and also a little less obvious to the outside world.
The news of Tena Slip moving to the breathable "cotton feel" doesn't surprise me, but is a bit disappointing.

Now, I have not read all 7 pages of messages on here, so not sure if this has been mentioned already.. but, I think it is quite interesting to follow the trends a little bit. I'm mostly based in Europe, and get most of my diapers here. I tend to use Save Express in Germany. What I have noticed lately... not only has ID SLIP who had moved their products to the breathable fabric variety now returned with plastic backed diapers, also Abena AbriForm M/L4 has made a return in our beloved plastic-backed guise! To me that tells me there is the desire for plastic. Manufacturers have not completely given up on it. Perhaps this is not the end...!

Take care friends
A.

I love positive notes like this!

zer0

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
fortunately, other companies are focusing more on the ABDL community. Plus, the ABDL community is growing. I truly love the tena slip maxi and all its plasticy goodness. It's also surprisingly quiet. I'm going to be living in germany soon and hope to get a few cases before they switch over. The worst part about this is, America just started carrying the euro style tena. It's a damn shame.

MrCarter

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Not sure what I want to do. Maybe stock up.

I do like Bambino and ABUniverse (especially since ABUniverse adds a scent). I also really like ABUniverse's products because they use a single tape. Same with Cuddlz (although I don't think Cuddlz looks as good in terms of graphics). I don't mind the baby-ish graphics at all. I would rather have some graphics than none. My least favourite are definitely the TotalDry in that area (plus those are, in my preference, too thick).

I do really really like the Tenas plastic backed though despite having 2 tapes and not having a scent. Something about them and how comfortable they are.

Starchild

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Got a email from Tena today, i was enquiring about returning some faulty nappies (pads as i call them when speaking to the Tena staff) and i slipped in a question regarding the breathable cover Tena slips and she confirmed they will be introduced next year but did not say when, maybe they dont know for sure. I didnt doubt this info from Paddedpuppy but I just wanted some extra confirmation, well i kind of wanted her to say the info was incorrect! So its happening, I'm being forced to say bye bye to my nappy of choice or the last 15 or so years, that's customer loyalty for you, well they will be loosing my custom next year :-( not that they will care. Now i have some choices to make, do i stock up or just use up my remaining supply I will probably get another box, that's 3 packs of 24, before the end of the year so i will use them up and then go cold turkey, but I am going to try terry nappies I might like them but am doubtful, if i am wrong and i do like them then at least thats good news for the environment, i do feel bad when i think of 15 years of my nappies, that's a huge amount of nappies sitting in some landfill. If i do not like them i think its the end of me being a AB, although its not just something i can just switch off, I'm always going to have some AB tendencies, thats just how I am wired, like I'm never going to not cuddle of with my teddy and dragon and I will probably never loose that desire to be babied.

MrCarter

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Perhaps your diaper of choice, but I think you should look into the others that are still plastic-backed and if you like baby-ish ones you really should try Bambino, Cuddlz, and Fabine (if you can get them at any decent price).

I too will probably order a pack of 72 (really as back up, and I know it might be the last of the bit).

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Carer
  5. Other
Is this for real??? :(

My first delve into the ABDL world and they're already taking away my favourite nappies! Gah! :(

Anybody have suggestions for diapers that are good alternatives to tena slip in the UK?

bambinod

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I wonder when Bambino USA will run out...

run out of what? You mean go clothlike? That won't happen with them. The others are going clothlike because that's what they think the majority of their customers want. Bambino specifically caters to the AB/DL market. For them, IC are their minority customers. I don't think we have to worry about them changing or going away anytime soon.

Starchild

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I have tried Bambino, they are hard to get in the UK and damn expensive. i have also tried Cuddlz and Fabines but the simple fact is they dont fit me well, for some reason Tena are the only nappies that fit me proper.

CharliePup

Mommy's puppy
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
  2. Incontinent
  3. Carer
  4. Other
run out of what? You mean go clothlike? That won't happen with them. The others are going clothlike because that's what they think the majority of their customers want. Bambino specifically caters to the AB/DL market. For them, IC are their minority customers. I don't think we have to worry about them changing or going away anytime soon.
I think he meant when will Bambino run out of their stock of Tena Slips :p

ade

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Anybody have suggestions for diapers that are good alternatives to tena slip in the UK?

as far as function is concerned? apart from a very few, like Abena (can't vouch for them as i've never tried them), the best performer will be a good ol' trad terry-towelling nappy and placky pants; of course, you lose convenience, there.

for form, and apart from Abena, Indaslip are a good alternative (and one of my regulars) and are available at mobility shops and online from bmsupplies.co.uk.
Attends 10s are also not bad, but it's advisable to get the 4-tape version, unless you like bits of stiff plastic velcro jabbing your hips.

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I am going to be rather unpopular with a vast majority of you here.. but I prefer cloth backed diapers. I like plastic backed diapers too, but prefer cloth backed. I can't really explain why though, but I suppose I prefer a cottony feel to a diaper instead of a smooth plastic.

I welcome this decision for TENA to make a new cloth backed diaper.. But it is very important to note that the vast majority of this generation (pre-1997ish) were brought up with plastic backed diapers, including myself.

The next generation of Diaper Lovers will have used cloth-backed diapers as children, so the balance may tip towards this spectrum in the near future.

Excellent perspective RouteLeader. As an older AB/DL, who spent his infancy in folded Birdseye cloth diapers covered by Gerber Plastic Pants, I found that I had to develop a liking for disposable diapers as an adult; so the covering material by now is a moot point to me.

Other older ADISC members that are my age prefer the actual cloth diaper and plastic pants. If I was going to go that route (probably due to my self diagnosed OCD) they would be replete with diaper pins, diaper pails (for soaking), the Dreft Detergent (and Purex Bleach?) laundering and clothes line drying reminiscent of the 1950s - 60's. If I really wanted to go all out, I'd get a vintage Maytag Wringer Washer- pure heaven!!! (I do however, own several antiique glass washboards and a galvanized wash basin).

Any diaper (or combination of boosters, cloth or disposable that I use/wear is covered by plastic pants (Salk Sani-Pants) as they offer good leak protection, as well as a familiar, nostalgic and accurate look and feel that harkens back to my infancy in the 1950's.

From a practical stand point, cloth backed disposable diapers are superior to plastic backed when it comes to attaching and repositioning of "tapes". The velcro/cloth system is vastly superior in my opinion. In 20 years when cloth backed adult disposable diapers being currently manufactured (2013) are being sold as "vintage" on ebay or it's equivalent, these velcro "tapes" will not have degraded or become unusable as many of the the adhesive plastic backed tapes on 10-30 year old adult disposables that I currently find and use. My obsessive purchases of packages (or cases) of discontinued versions of adult disposable diapers offer a grab bag of possibilities; if the tapes are unusable, they become useful boosters/stuffers after simple skilled modifications. I welcome any and all comers to my plentiful stash! This is one expense that my wife will never have to bear if I should become unable to diaper and care for myself out of an actual need or disability.

Cloth backed adult diaper disposables are also my preference when it comes to modifying for use as boosters or doublers. I am able to acquire/purchase about any disposable product of any size for this purpose. Plastic backed disposables can have a tendency to slip around if modified and used in a multi-diaper booster system (THE SYSTEM that I both employ and enjoy daily). Long live any kind of diaper; I will make them all work for my pleasure and enjoyment!

Status
Not open for further replies.