UK people: do you think Tesco should do adult size nappies?

boredofwheelchair

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
So Tesco have been doing larger nappies for kids/teenagers under their 'Tesco Health' brand for a few years, they seem to be successful as the lines still seem to exist, I know they do two sizes in Junior and Junior Plus, I imagine they are equivalent to Extra Small and Small, I believe they are manufactured by Ontex but I was wondering should Tesco more sizes in this line such as a Medium and a Large possibly for adults?

I know this might seem a bit niche especially as the market might not be big enough but then again I wasn't sure that the Junior and Junior Plus products would have been successful but there does appear to be a market as these lines do still exist after several years, so who knows especially when you consider we have a ageing population demographic.

What do you think?

boredofwheelchair said:
So Tesco have been doing larger nappies for kids/teenagers under their 'Tesco Health' brand for a few years, they seem to be successful as the lines still seem to exist, I know they do two sizes in Junior and Junior Plus, I imagine they are equivalent to Extra Small and Small, I believe they are manufactured by Ontex but I was wondering should Tesco more sizes in this line such as a Medium and a Large possibly for adults?

I know this might seem a bit niche especially as the market might not be big enough but then again I wasn't sure that the Junior and Junior Plus products would have been successful but there does appear to be a market as these lines do still exist after several years, so who knows especially when you consider we have a ageing population demographic.

What do you think?
I’d buy them, and I think it would fill a gap in the market.

Tesco do have Free Spirit pull ups, but they are as bad as you think they will be :D

Short answer, YES.

Like comfy said they currently do pullups, but there range of pullups is slightly strange.
'Discreet' ones for women,
Recently launched blue ones for men, but in 2 nearly identical absorbencies,
Then big bulky unisex ones that seem a bit redundant now.
I think they are all manufactured by ontex so the same as ID brand, just like the junior nappies.

I'd like to see the unisex ones, which I think are basically ID pant super, replaced with slip super, just the normal cloth backed ones, being realistic.

I think the XL pullups would still be a good idea to keep as the others are only medium and large.

PCS said:
I’d buy them, and I think it would fill a gap in the market.
I think there's definitely a gap in the market for a tape on style nappy to be available in brick and mortar retail in the UK, yeah there is Boots stay dry but if there was a product easily available in supermarkets it would probably be a easier sell IMHO as people are more likely to come into a supermarket in a car,

I know Asda do (or did?) Tena Slip in some but not all stores but these were generally in the pharmacy section and annoyingly you couldn't order them with your online food shop which could have been convenient for some

There seems to be a big enough market for online sales and you can see how much pull ups have become pretty ubiquitous in supermarkets and places like Wilko in the last decade or so

There is 100% a market for these, it just needs someone to lead the market.
Consumers have been lead to believe they want pullups, discreet fashionable pullups, when really a more absorbent product, like a nappy, would be far more useful.
But instead there are 2 brands trying to make the thinnest most knicker like pullups, then the supermarkets selling similar products, so in most shops there are 5 or more varieties of women's pullups, but nothing suitable for actual incontinence.

Asda did do tena slip, but I only ever found them in a large, so no use to me, there also £20 a pack.

Boots stay dry haven't been a 'reguar' nappy for many years now, there elastic sided, and you need about a 36" waist for the medium not to instantly fall down.

It would also be nice if some supermarkets and/or pharmacists could stock adult size plastic pants.

yfront said:
It would also be nice if some supermarkets and/or pharmacists could stock adult size plastic pants.
I think you can get them from most mobility places, or if your near an age concern charity shop they tend to stock that sort of thing

HappyNappin said:
I think you can get them from most mobility places, or if your near an age concern charity shop they tend to stock that sort of thing
Well I've asked a few places locally and they don't do plastic pants, just disposables.

Nope, and there is 100% not a market or the supermarkets would already be doing it.

People with genuine incontinence will be getting their products through the NHS on prescription. The tiny bit of the IC market not covered by this get theirs from mobility stores or online like us.

Lidl tried it for a few months with their Siempre tape on slips which tbf were a lot better than what Boots were selling, but they didn't continue with it.

Surprisingly good instructions for getting a good fit on the Tesco website, could have been written from someone here!

Preparation and Usage​

• Stretch the nappy and fold in half lengthways, run your hand along the back of the nappy which will position the leg cuffs for better leak protection. Pass the nappy between the legs, ensuring the end with the tapes is at the back. Fix the bottom tapes in an upward position to give a secure fit around the legs and the top tapes in a downward or horizontal position for a secure fit around the waist. Check for comfort and fit, the tapes can be adjusted and re-fastened if needed.

T
blob said:
Nope, and there is 100% not a market or the supermarkets would already be doing it.

People with genuine incontinence will be getting their products through the NHS on prescription. The tiny bit of the IC market not covered by this get theirs from mobility stores or online like us.

Lidl tried it for a few months with their Siempre tape on slips which tbf were a lot better than what Boots were selling, but they didn't continue with it.
There's been a big surge in the NHS the last few years NOT to use disposable products. I can no longer get them instead being offered boxers with a cup and tube to a bag type thing. I no longer bother with the incon nurse as its a complete waste of my time.

HappyNappin said:
Consumers have been lead to believe they want pullups, discreet fashionable pullups, when really a more absorbent product, like a nappy, would be far more useful.
But instead there are 2 brands trying to make the thinnest most knicker like pullups, then the supermarkets selling similar products, so in most shops there are 5 or more varieties of women's pullups, but nothing suitable for actual incontinence.

Asda did do tena slip, but I only ever found them in a large, so no use to me, there also £20 a pack.

Boots stay dry haven't been a 'reguar' nappy for many years now, there elastic sided, and you need about a 36" waist for the medium not to instantly fall down.
Boots ruined an okay adult nappy, they now have no wings and therefore feel awful on.
-
WE
PP (and more)

Reactions: Forced
HappyNappin said:

See I think there might be a market but I think it would be interesting, I am surprised that Essity/Tena haven't even tried the children's market with a retail release of their Tena Slip Junior product or extra small and small products,

I suppose one of the bigger barriers is that for retailers shelf space is precious and having a bulky product on shelves that might not sell is a bit of a no go.

Must admit it would be interesting to see what market research/focus group sort of thing would say to the idea, I do think that sometimes that we need to be careful on a board such as this we we are already predisposed to the idea of diapers that we need to avoid groupthink because others might be more adverse to the idea but also helps those that might be embarrassed to seek help

blob said:

See I would agree with you but also I would have thought that those who the Tesco Junior and Junior Plus nappies are intended for would hav e also have gotten products from the NHS too and tbh the internet market is probably bigger than though as there does seem to be a few suppliers they must be doing okay otherwise they wouldn't exist

Stevepw said:
There's been a big surge in the NHS the last few years NOT to use disposable products. I can no longer get them instead being offered boxers with a cup and tube to a bag type thing. I no longer bother with the incon nurse as its a complete waste of my time.

I'm a bit like you @Stevepw I gave up with the incontinence service a few years ago, because I didn't like the product I was getting which was cloth backed with sticky tabs which is useless, I tried to explain this but I don't think the nurse understood so I just buy my own using my mobility allowance which is what is intended for really

blob said:

I see plenty of situations where even if someone was getting products supplied there are alot of advantages to being able to buy a reasonably priced product off the shelf.
Go into any Aldi and they are almost always sold out of medium, or more often large adult pullups.
Proof if you market a good product at a good price it will sell.
If Tesco sold packs of 10 adult nappies for say £5 I'd probably buy them as my normal day to day nappies, if the price was higher I'd probably still buy them if I was in a pinch, like I am currently, I thought I had plenty of nappies with me for this week but I'm probably going to need to get some Aldi pullups, or face the horror of toilets.
Lidl siempre where only a week long special, I'm sure if they had been stocked property and marketed they might have done better.

Reactions: boredofwheelchair
HappyNappin said:
I see plenty of situations where even if someone was getting products supplied there are alot of advantages to being able to buy a reasonably priced product off the shelf.
Go into any Aldi and they are almost always sold out of medium, or more often large adult pullups.
Proof if you market a good product at a good price it will sell.
If Tesco sold packs of 10 adult nappies for say £5 I'd probably buy them as my normal day to day nappies, if the price was higher I'd probably still buy them if I was in a pinch, like I am currently, I thought I had plenty of nappies with me for this week but I'm probably going to need to get some Aldi pullups, or face the horror of toilets.
Lidl siempre where only a week long special, I'm sure if they had been stocked property and marketed they might have done better.
The Aldi Pull-Ups do seem to go very quickly when they’re in stock.

They’re Made in Italy and seem to be one of the few Pull-Ups that will invariably take a full flood without leaking.

No, because they will be probably more expensive and probably they will keep on shelfs some low quality brands and types.

wearforsafety said:
No, because they will be probably more expensive and probably they will keep on shelfs some low quality brands and types.
That's not how it works here, basically the options are tena, or the shops own brand product, almost always made by ontex.
A bag of tena pant super is around £13, and store brand £8 both for 12 pants, a diaper type product is much cheaper to produce than a pullup, and far more user friendly.
I'm sure a market is there, rather than having 2 identical products they could offer something a bit different and give customers more choice.

It's hard to muster the courage and when they don't sell them it's so embarrassing

Back