UK disposable nappy nostalgia 80s/90s

Status
Not open for further replies.
ade said:
What a difference a year makes!
I say because I found,
(Scroll down to the bottom for the albums)

The 1976 compared with the 1986 is interesting for the differences and more expansive choice of the later one, with the catalogue doubling in size/offerings, whilst traditional cloth nappies vanish.

Oh, and not a hint of the neverending 'sales' for which Argos are nowadays infamous.
Argos sold nappies!
Different times!!!!!!!!!!
-
BW

W3NTBOTHWAY5 said:
That second bag is the packaging style used by Cuddlz and ABU, don't know if that's deliberate because it's baby-ish!!!!!!!!!!
-
BW
Is that bag you're talking about?

bl_pants_no7_goldenribbon_21_v2_21_night.png

Mega has updated their product page since the pull-ups are now unisex and suitable for overnight use.

BabyTweetyBird said:
Is that bag you're talking about?

bl_pants_no7_goldenribbon_21_v2_21_night.png

Mega has updated their product page since the pull-ups are now unisex and suitable for overnight use.
Babylino yes but not that style. It seems both infant and adult nappies come in two types of packaging: There's what I'd call traditional and that's how you have packaged: Every infant brand in the UK, Tenas, iDs, Molicares, UK Attends and most likely still Abenas though who's honestly buying them now they're just cloth-backed? Anyway traditional packaging is usually openable via packaging areas (?) you tear along a dotted line and that's good.
Then there's the milk carton look (or the Capital A fastening), nappies that are packaged like this: Cuddlz, Aidapts, everything from ABU except the Kiddos, Rearz as well - it's a design that's either quite synonymous with America or it was pioneered there - and finally most adult nappies from China and Japan are also packaged thusly.
I dislike the milk carton style packaging as it is really NOT easy to open.
-
BW

W3NTBOTHWAY5 said:
Babylino yes but not that style. It seems both infant and adult nappies come in two types of packaging: There's what I'd call traditional and that's how you have packaged: Every infant brand in the UK, Tenas, iDs, Molicares, UK Attends and most likely still Abenas though who's honestly buying them now they're just cloth-backed? Anyway traditional packaging is usually openable via packaging areas (?) you tear along a dotted line and that's good.
Then there's the milk carton look (or the Capital A fastening), nappies that are packaged like this: Cuddlz, Aidapts, everything from ABU except the Kiddos, Rearz as well - it's a design that's either quite synonymous with America or it was pioneered there - and finally most adult nappies from China and Japan are also packaged thusly.
I dislike the milk carton style packaging as it is really NOT easy to open.
-
BW
Oh, I see what you mean.

You're talking about the red cardbox with the little crawling boy. This was a marketing move to compete with P&G and other major diaper manufacturers. When Viopharm implemented the changes made by P&G in 1984 value packs came in the form of regular plastic bags.

Fluffydoves said:
I had superdrug ones for my dolls and they were similar to this. This was around 1998/9. I believe Peaudouce had a factory in France which produced nappies for all UK stores in the late ‘90s

This factory was based at Linselles, a city situated in the North department a couple of miles away from the French-Belgian border. Essity shut it down a decade ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 53140
Fluffydoves said:
They went cloth backed the year after this, 1998 if I remember correctly from what I found online.
All baby disposable nappies become cloth-backed as of 2000. P&G was among the first major manufacturers to made the switch from plastic to cloth-like backing.

Reactions: Deleted member 53140
BabyTweetyBird said:
All baby disposable nappies become cloth-backed as of 2000. P&G was among the first major manufacturers to made the switch from plastic to cloth-like backing.
Certainly most did, including most own-brands but many budget brands remained plastic backed for over a decade longer. The last plastics I saw in the UK were Wilko nappies bought in 2014.

Reactions: Deleted member 56273 and sambus
PCS said:
Certainly most did, including most own-brands but many budget brands remained plastic backed for over a decade longer. The last plastics I saw in the UK were Wilko nappies bought in 2014.

Linette's Nannys nappies were plastic-backed until 2012. The Cypriot manufacturer has already made the transition to cloth-like backing as of 2003 before abandoning the plastic backing the following decade.

Only their Self Care adult briefs are plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fluffydoves said:
I found some boots own brand pics and they were from 1999

It may have been 1999 for the UK, all the Peaudouce nappies produced for supermarkets I found had dates of 1998/9 on the bodies of the nappies.

1998 was a transitional year since P&G started producing Pampers Premiums with cloth-like covers.

The following year the Cincinnati-based company sold Attends to Paper-Pak and temporarily quit the adult incontinence business until the introduction of their Always Discreet pull-ups in 2013.

BabyTweetyBird said:
The following year the Cincinnati-based company sold Attends to Paper-Pak and temporarily quit the adult incontinence business
I wonder if that was a condition of sale, non compete for 15yrs.

Fluffydoves said:
i only know the benneton-diapers size 6/ <30kg in red.
They where bigger than a Pampers and/ or Huggies size 6.

BabyTweetyBird said:
1998 was a transitional year since P&G started producing Pampers Premiums with cloth-like covers.

The following year the Cincinnati-based company sold Attends to Paper-Pak and temporarily quit the adult incontinence business until the introduction of their Always Discreet pull-ups in 2013.
I know that in the UK, initially Premiums were cloth backed while Baby Dry remained plastic for a time.

Fluffydoves said:
i only know the benneton-diapers size 6/ <30kg in red.
They where bigger than a Pampers and/ or Huggies size 6.

1619614462112.jpeg

This is a US as, but we used to get those Baby Fresh wipes in the UK in the exact same boxes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back