Ubuntu (Linux) and IRC chat problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have a problem with Ubuntu (currently 7.10, but should be 8.04 tomorrow). The IRC chat directions listed do not match what Gaim Instant Messenger requests. Can anyone provide directions for a very new Ubuntu user to set up the IRC for #ADISC? Also, what software is recommended for Linux IRC?

Thank you for your help.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Also, you might consider using xchat. Pidgin is great, but not my favorite for IRC.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
Also, you might consider using xchat. Pidgin is great, but not my favorite for IRC.
From what I'm seeing xchat is made for Fedora, it may easier for someone who is new to just get Pidgin from the repositories.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
What? Where are you seeing that? It's not for any particular distribution, or even specific to Linux :p.

Code:
sudo aptitude install xchat
Not trying to force it on you or anything, though. If pidgin works fine for you then then works too.

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
What? Where are you seeing that? It's not for any particular distribution, or even specific to Linux :p.

Code:
sudo aptitude install xchat
Not trying to force it on you or anything, though. If pidgin works fine for you then then works too.
Eh, I only looked at their main site, to each their own

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Guys, s/he said s/he's new. Hasn't become shell-savvy yet. ;-)

Jeremiah - you can get a command line (aka shell, terminal, prompt, etc.) by pulling up Applications > Accessories > Terminal. If you use apt-get to install nautilus-open-terminal, you'll also get a convenient "open terminal" entry in your desktop right click menu. Remember that "sudo" means "run this command as the administrator" and that sudo is, in most cases, specific to Ubuntu.

--Danny :ninja:

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Thank you very much for your help!

I got onto the IRC just now.

I have both installed and working now. Thanks again for the help.

I would have closed the thread, but I could not find the option under thread tools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.