Tykables Vs. ABU?

BabyLink9

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
So recently with Covid coming around and diapers for me being really hard to get a hold of. I have decided that when I run out I'm going to take a break for a little while. My favorite diaper so far being the Cloth-Back Preschools, but looking around at other brands has me curious, when I end my hiatus on diapers. I want to try the cloth-backed play dayz, and tykables waddle cut. Made me realize that Tykables and ABU really get close to each other in terms of competition. So do you have a favorite? Does one brand do something you like more than the other? Does one brand not do something you want to see?

For me personally being a late 90s baby, I wanna see them both make a cloth-backed hook and loop diaper already. But that still gets pushed aside. Along with tykables to make a early 90s remake of the plastic backed pampers. I think I probably wore those when I was very very young so I have a strange soft stop with them.

Personally I prefer the diaper range from abu because I tried Tykables but wasn't overly impressed with the over all absorbancy and qualulity of their products, no offence.

I just prefer something that reminds me of my childhood back in the 1980's and that inevitably means plastic backed not cloth and all white without print/wetness markers.
and so it was to that end recently I bought a pack of abu simple ultra diapers.

Which thakfully arrived and where much needed by myself as I have a problem with urinal incontinance and these where just the ticket in terms of overall absorbancy as they absorb 6,500mls of fluids and are very comfy and yes they do remind me of the old pampers baby-dry range from when I was a child.

Read my full review for more info if you want to know more.

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888.

I prefer ABU prints. Space is one of my favorite diapers ever. They also have amazing fit, and quality, and the capacity of most is great, with one outstanding example.

Tykables waddler cut line is a functionally better diaper. Higher over all capacity, higher usable capacity, better able to lock in wetness so less press-out, much wider crotch area, Thicker when dry, More swelling when wet, outstanding odor control, stronger plastic shell, better tapes, etc, etc, etc. They also sometimes have some quality control issues with the first runs right after a new product release. I had a bag of Waddler Overnights that faintly smelled a like glycol when they first came out. (sometimes used as a drying agent for SAP in during manufacturing.) I had a bag of Camos that had an ink issue when wearing lotion. I read posts of others with similar issues, but they were minor problems. I still enjoyed them. I've been wearing various Tykables most every night, have been through many cases of them over several years, and had no other issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerDL and Ebabyboy12
I think both brands have there strong and weak points, I like abu's peekaboo line because they are soft and the stick tapes hold real well, plus they are as advertised, hold a ton and don't fall apart easily. The abu kiddo's are prob the best single tape diaper out there to me anyway, the cut is almost perfect for my sized body.
Tykables are fantastic to, they have really in my opinion pioneered the whole hook and loop hybrid scheme, and there quality is great.
Rearz is also another great co, they have come a long way with offering a wide range of products that have little defects, its also good to note that they are the big player for our friends in Canada.
I think we should refer these companies as the "big 3" in the adult diaper world, since they seem to be fairly aggressive with offering new products to us. I remember a time when really it was only medical and Bambino Co that offered consistent products, so its really nice to see how things evolved literally in 10yrs time.

Reactions: TigerDL
My two cents:
I have used both brands and like both. ABU has a larger selection and with different designs, absorption rates, backing (plastic and cloth) and carries other items which is a plus. I personally leaked out of ABU space, and peek-abu. That doesn’t make them bad diapers they just didn’t fit me great. They were very comfortable and held up great. They do sag a lot. The one thing I remember is they are very thin which left me feeling insecure.
tykables are pretty different in my opinion. They are offer a lot of different designs but they all use the same diaper capacity. I really like the hook-in-loop design for easy removal if I can make it to the bathroom for BMs. (Bladder incontinent). The waddle cut for me is perfect as I have no control and I feel very confident knowing I can feel the diaper and know I can trust it to do its job. I also like the prints better from tykables better. I’m a little also so I like more baby style prints.
Overall both make good diapers and you won’t go wrong with either one. It comes down to personal preference. Not all diapers fit the same and you need to find the ones that do so you don’t leak if you use them. I always say it’s better to have a bulky noticeable diaper on then pee my pants or worse poop them and leak. Been there done that and it sucks.
Good luck

Back