• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Twittering Teen dies in Tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Messages
3,676
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Teen Dies While Tweeting In Bathtub - WPIX

Apparently a Romanian teen was electrocuted when she dropped her laptop into the bathtub.

Remember kids... electricity and water don't mix... just because it runs on batteries doesn't mean it's safe to play with in the tub.

Darwin Award anyone?
 
A

aj1983

Guest
Ouch, that's why all bathrooms should have a GFCI to prevent electrocutions :thumbsup:

I can rest assured knowing if i was dumb enough to drop any electrical devices in my tub i'd be OK, in theory anyways :smile1:
 

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
Messages
757
Role
Adult Baby, Little
From the news article it sounds like the was actually out out the bath and was electrocuted by using a plug with wet hands, so she didn't drop it in the bath.

This just re-iterates the point that you should NEVER handle anything electrical with wet hands.

Not worthy of a darwin award I don't think and even so we shouldn't really laugh and should feel sad for the family.
If MJ had died in that way you wouldn't all be laughing.
 
E

Error404

Guest
From the news article it sounds like the was actually out out the bath and was electrocuted by using a plug with wet hands, so she didn't drop it in the bath.

This just re-iterates the point that you should NEVER handle anything electrical with wet hands.

Not worthy of a darwin award I don't think and even so we shouldn't really laugh and should feel sad for the family.
If MJ had died in that way you wouldn't all be laughing.
I would.
 

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Messages
2,203
Role
Adult Baby, Other
Ouch, that's why all bathrooms should have a GFCI to prevent electrocutions :thumbsup:
Good point! If you live in a home built before GFCI outlets were required by the electrical codes in force at time of construction, you should have them changed out in bathrooms for safety sake. Kitchens too, if there's an outlet in proximity to the sink.

~Pramrider
 

Darkfinn

Banned
Messages
3,676
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Actually I don't think GFCI would prevent electric shock from a battery powered device coming in contact with water. Though I'm not going to go drop my lappy in the tub and find out.
 

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Messages
10,934
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Did the teen at least get "Currently dying" up on their twitter account?
 

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Messages
5,919
Role
Private
Was the laptop plugged in? I don't think a laptop battery has enough power to electrocute you, at least not into death. I think most laptops need like 15-24 Volts and around 3 Amps. Or something like that
 

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Messages
10,934
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Was the laptop plugged in? I don't think a laptop battery has enough power to electrocute you, at least not into death. I think most laptops need like 15-24 Volts and around 3 Amps. Or something like that
I am thinking the person plug the cord into the socket and the end hung over the tub the person climbed in and promptly got electrocuted/killed. That or the teen filled the tub with water after plunging the laptop in and some how the cord came out of the laptop and splashed into the tub. Either way a easily avoided death it was.
 
Messages
3,351
Role
Private
Was the laptop plugged in? I don't think a laptop battery has enough power to electrocute you, at least not into death. I think most laptops need like 15-24 Volts and around 3 Amps. Or something like that
Heh.

300mA is enough to stop your heart. That's 0.3Amps. More will burn and make everything all crackly and black, but 300mA is a fairly good threshold value to have.

Actually, people have been killed by distant lightning strikes, as the heart has a tiny ultra-vulnerable window that opens and closes with each beat.

But, yeah. 3Amps is PLENTY to kill you.
 

Darkfinn

Banned
Messages
3,676
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I was gonna say... it's not about voltage... you can take 500 volts all day provided there isn't much amperage behind it... it's all about the amps. Lethal threshold is below half an amp.
 

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Messages
5,919
Role
Private
My bad then. Googling "Amps to kill" gave me things talking about voltage...And I'm always getting conversions wrong :3
 

Corri

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,257
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
The (average) survivable threshold is .12amps across the heart or 12mA. However, in most cases shock does not cross the heart. I have taken at least 1amp before, my father took enough to shatter a ground block and walked away. It all depends on the path the shock takes through the body, you can be badly burned but not die from a shock (The Green Mile anyone?). This article seems.... far fetched. Considering the nature of the components we are dealing with here it would be very difficult for this girl to do what she did. Unless she touched BOTH hands to either side of the AC connector as she plugged it in. Dropping a laptop in water will fry it yes, but it wont kill the person in the water, unless it was there for a while. Water wont penetrate the laptop fast enough to create a circuit through the water.
 

WoodlandWanderer

Est. Contributor
Messages
757
Role
Adult Baby, Little
The (average) survivable threshold is .12amps across the heart or 12mA. However, in most cases shock does not cross the heart.
Sorry to seem pedantic but 0.12A is actually 120mA not 12mA, tiny difference in some cases but enough to kill you in this context.
You are however correct about the crossing the heart thing. There are many accounts of people surviving lightning strikes due to an event called flashover, this means it travels over not through your body. Gives you severe burns but crucially it avoids your heart.

btw does anybody know the resistance of a human body because assuming that 100 000 V from a Van de Graaff generator can pass through you and not exceed 300mA then you must have at least a resistance of..... (dons nerd cap)
R=V/I R=100 000/0.3 R=333K?

I would be interested to know, obv in this case it wasn't enough....
 

Darkfinn

Banned
Messages
3,676
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
"A rough value for the internal resistance of the human body is 300-1000 Ohms." Depending on height/weight/body fat percentage/etc.

Source: van.physics.illinois.edu
 

PetPuppyAlex

Est. Contributor
Messages
371
Role
Private
I'm laughing uncontrollably right now. But not because its funny, more because its so freaking stupid.
 

Darkfinn

Banned
Messages
3,676
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Amazing the common sense things they don't teach kids anymore.
 

WoXxY

Est. Contributor
Messages
452
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent
Wait, so water + electricity = BAD????
OMFG, get the president on the horn! ASAP!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top