Twisting hair and biting nails

ItsTimmyTime

Est. Contributor
Messages
69
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've twisted and played with my hair for as long as I can remember, the nail biting probably became a thing when I was a teenager. I never really thought of these things to being a method of self soothing until I googled this morning, nor did I realise it's also another way to relieve anxiety. I don't class myself as an anxious person.

I've always been into abdl since I was little but I haven't always been able to act on it. I think it just goes to prove that subconsciously we find other methods to self soothe when we can't have all the lovely abdl things which are so dear to us.

Any thoughts guys?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Cottontail, LaLoneDigi and Jorelaxed

Jorelaxed

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,152
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
The human body finds ways to help heal itself,
Being abdl helps the mind cope.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ItsTimmyTime

Kayleigh

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,407
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Sissy
I have always been a nail biter. Never thought of connecting it to my diapers but I guess they both provide a level of comfort.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ItsTimmyTime and Jorelaxed

ItsTimmyTime

Est. Contributor
Messages
69
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Kayleigh said:
I have always been a nail biter. Never thought of connecting it to my diapers but I guess they both provide a level of comfort.
Definitely makes a lot of sense doesn't it!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Kayleigh

Nowididit

Est. Contributor
Messages
1,432
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have this thing for twisting things like my belt loops and fabric edges like my shirt tails and the flat sheet on our bed. I'll twist these things to a pointy tip then push that point into my thump, sometimes with enough pressure that it actually hurts. I'll also fold paper to a pointed tip and use that.
It's definitely a coping mechanism and I've been doing it for as long as I remember.
I find that this behavior increases more while I'm stressing or I'm without diapers for an extended period of time. The more stress and the longer without diapers the more pressure I use pushing that pointed tip into my thumb.
As a young child when I was still sucking my thumb I used to wad up the front of my shirt and rub it against my nose while I sucked my thumb.
After I no longer sucked my thumb I believe I replaced the shirt wadding with the twisting of fabrics and pushing it into my thumb.
 
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ItsTimmyTime

ItsTimmyTime

Est. Contributor
Messages
69
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Nowididit said:
I have this thing for twisting things like my belt loops and fabric edges like my shirt tails and the flat sheet on our bed. I'll twist these things to a pointy tip then push that point into my thump, sometimes with enough pressure that it actually hurts. I'll also fold paper to a pointed tip and use that.
It's definitely a coping mechanism and I've been doing it for as long as I remember.
I find that this behavior increases more while I'm stressing or I'm without diapers for an extended period of time. The more stress and the longer without diapers the more pressure I use pushing that pointed tip into my thumb.
As a young child when I was still sucking my thumb I used to wad up the front of my shirt and rub it against my nose while I sucked my thumb.
After I no longer sucked my thumb I believe I replaced the shirt wadding with the twisting of fabrics and pushing it into my thumb.
That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing! 😁👍
 

YakuiAndOzoi

#1 (diapered) Playboi Carti fan (probably)
Est. Contributor
Messages
143
Age
24
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Other
ItsTimmyTime said:
I've always been into abdl since I was little but I haven't always been able to act on it. I think it just goes to prove that subconsciously we find other methods to self soothe when we can't have all the lovely abdl things which are so dear to us.

Any thoughts guys?
I'm a huge stimmer, and also a nailbiter and several other similar habits. I certainly do them less when I feel secure and relaxed in any way, but also diapers don't at all stop my nailbiting, nor do they stop my humming (vocal stimming), my hair chewing, my finger flicking, my foot kicking, my teeth grinding, my desire to chew on random objects, or my hand flapping. All of those require conscious effort!

Some of these habits are just wholly good for me, like the hand flapping. It makes me feel happy and the worst thing it does is generate social disapproval, so I have no desire to stop it since I can maintain it in a healthy way. Nailbiting is something which is a destructive habit I'd like to stop. However, they're both self-soothing / stimming, and the only relationship they have to diapers for me is that diapers make me feel relaxed and sometimes being relaxed slows the desire to do them.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: Cottontail, ichinyan and littleph0enix

ichinyan

Est. Contributor
Messages
43
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I’ve been a fidgety person for as long as I can remember, too! I primarily move my feet/flex my toes, play with pens or whatever interesting object in my vicinity (I need to buy fidget toys!) and chew on my fingers.

I had a bad nail biting issue when I was younger, to the point where my poor fingertips stung. I still bite them today but I can usually stop myself before I do too much!

It’s hard for me to pay attention since it’s something that’s normal for me, but I’m pretty sure I still fidget when I’m in diapers! Like what @YakuiAndOzoi said, being padded helps to relax me and probably eases my stimming a bit! I don’t think my fidgeting is wholly a result of not being able to do little stuff, though!
 
  • Like
Reactions: YakuiAndOzoi

LaLoneDigi

Est. Contributor
Messages
239
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
  5. Carer
I used to be a bad nail biter, and would bleed sometimes. I used to chew on pencils and other object too. Grew out of it in Highschool.

I still have some light stimming behavior related to anxiety, but I think most of it just helps me focus and burn off excess energy. I bounce my legs, and fidget with my fingers and knuckles. I scratch myself (Used to be bad. I'm much better about this now.). I jazz scat etc..

Life is full of stressful situations. It's good to find non destructives ways of soothing ourselves. I stress eat sometimes, but have always managed to keep a healthy weight and diet. I've occasionally struggled with too much weed and alcohol, but I'm currently good about it.

Diapers and ABDL activities are pretty damn safe and tame compared to other things we could be doing.
 

LilFox

Est. Contributor
Messages
55
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I to twist and play with my hair all the time. My other self soothing quirk is i tuck my thumbs between my index and middle fingers. I used be a really bad thumsucker and i think its a coping mechanism for that. Funny thing is, i never noticed i did it untill my wife pointed it out a year or two ago. The subconsious mind can be fascinating sometimes.
 

YakuiAndOzoi

#1 (diapered) Playboi Carti fan (probably)
Est. Contributor
Messages
143
Age
24
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Other
LilFox said:
I used be a really bad thumsucker and i think its a coping mechanism for that. Funny thing is, i never noticed i did it untill my wife pointed it out a year or two ago. The subconsious mind can be fascinating sometimes.
Yeah I never noticed exactly how prevalent my stimming was as an adult until my mom pointed it out (I was also home/online schooled until college, and there people have more tact about pointing these things out).
ichinyan said:
t’s hard for me to pay attention since it’s something that’s normal for me, but I’m pretty sure I still fidget when I’m in diapers! Like what @YakuiAndOzoi said, being padded helps to relax me and probably eases my stimming a bit! I don’t think my fidgeting is wholly a result of not being able to do little stuff, though!
Yeah agreed with all of that. I stim because I have autistic and ADHD as well. I imagine there's overlap in the sense that my diaper interest is probably influenced by the autism, but I don't think my desire to stim and my desire to wear diapers are really related outside of the connection to my autism.

Now, with that said, I do think diapers are nice for sensory stuff! They feel far my bulky than normal underwear and almost feel like I'm getting hugged by a really soft touch. That makes for a weighted blanket type effect (I fully reccomend weighted blankets to all, by the way. I stack two now and it's heavenly and helps with sleep and anxiety loads!).
 
  • Like
Reactions: ichinyan

ichinyan

Est. Contributor
Messages
43
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
YakuiAndOzoi said:
Yeah agreed with all of that. I stim because I have autistic and ADHD as well. I imagine there's overlap in the sense that my diaper interest is probably influenced by the autism, but I don't think my desire to stim and my desire to wear diapers are really related outside of the connection to my autism.
I’m actually undiagnosed with anything, myself! But I’ve been working on getting an evaluation because I’m thinking I have ADHD and/or autism too!
YakuiAndOzoi said:
Now, with that said, I do think diapers are nice for sensory stuff! They feel far my bulky than normal underwear and almost feel like I'm getting hugged by a really soft touch. That makes for a weighted blanket type effect (I fully reccomend weighted blankets to all, by the way. I stack two now and it's heavenly and helps with sleep and anxiety loads!).
You described the feeling perfectly for me! Feeling the soft material and bulkiness of a diaper is like a warm hug! It makes me feel so comfortable and safe! 😊
 
  • Like
Reactions: YakuiAndOzoi

Cottontail

Silly wabbit!
Est. Contributor
Messages
6,954
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Sissy
  6. Little
I bite my nails often. It drives my wife nuts, so I do my best to wait until she's not looking. Over the years, I've made a few timid attempts to break myself of the habit. No luck. Maybe if somebody could watch me and give me little rewards whenever I go a day without biting, it would work. :)

YakuiAndOzoi said:
nor do they stop my humming (vocal stimming)
Ha ha, there's another one that drives people bananas about me. I'm also a compulsive hummer, whistler, beatboxer, finger drummer, ... I'm noisy. I try to be respectful of others, but occasionally I'll have to be told to knock it off.
 
  • Like
Reactions: YakuiAndOzoi
Top