• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

TV Remakes of Classics. Not sure yet on this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Ok, I am a HUGE fan of V. V was a TV miniseries in 1983, and 1984 followed up by a TV series on NBC in '84'-'85. I have all of that on DVD. ABC TV recently announced their remake. And I have to say I am a bit OK with this remake, but the original was a classic. Especially the first two parts, as I appreciated the World War II allegory.

YouTube - ABC "V" TV SERIES PILOT PROMO TRAILER

That's the preview for the remake. Just not sure yet. UGH. Remakes, like Hollyweird has nothing else to do.

WildThing121675

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
There are always remakes...Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, cartoons such as TMNT. So many shows get remakes. Just remember that not too many remakes last that long.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
Well, it's got Elizabeth Mitchell, and the special effects look great, so I will definitely be tuning in to this.

MilesBabyhound

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Remakes are good and bad...look at Battlestar Galactica for example! It all depends on the director and writers responsible

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
As long as there's none of her classic head turning that I SOOOOOOO very much hate I may watch it. She is a good actress though she said the music on Lost helps fill the scene.

The head turning I am talking about is nearly every time she turned her head in lost she has to do a step by step process in order to do it.

1. she has to close her eyes during the full turn.
2. she has to turn as slowly as possible but still at a reasonable pace, thus they have already wasted maybe 3 mins of run time in Lost just on her inability to actually turn her head.

I'd love to find a video of it, one day I might just make a montage of nothing but her turning her head. Sort of like the montage of "What" from lost, within the first 3 seasons they said What so damn much it was funny.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I've seen a few good remakes... both on TV and at the movies... but it sucks that Hollywood is apparently running out of new ideas for entertainment.

I think it's a sign of the times when "reality TV" and "game shows" like Idol or Dancing or Millionaire are the hottest things around.

Have we no creativity anymore?

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I've seen a few good remakes... both on TV and at the movies... but it sucks that Hollywood is apparently running out of new ideas for entertainment.

I think it's a sign of the times when "reality TV" and "game shows" like Idol or Dancing or Millionaire are the hottest things around.

Have we no creativity anymore?
Well "Lost" "Weeds" "Dexter" and "Breaking Bad" all say "Hello".

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Amen for Breaking Bad. I like that show. Yeah, it makes you wonder about the creativity of Hollyweird. I even have tried to write a pilot for a TV show that would have featured the LAPD, CHP, and LA County FD. It would have kinda been like Third Watch, but I doubt it would sell.

Should be interesting to see how the remake of V comes across. My friend Cami and I were discussing the remake on Friday night briefly at the bar when I popped over for a quick beer before I went home. I am kinda ok with it, as she is. But we are holding judgment on it til we see it.

WildThing121675

Role
Private
Ok, I am a HUGE fan of V. V was a TV miniseries in 1983, and 1984 followed up by a TV series on NBC in '84'-'85. I have all of that on DVD. ABC TV recently announced their remake. And I have to say I am a bit OK with this remake, but the original was a classic. Especially the first two parts, as I appreciated the World War II allegory.

YouTube - ABC "V" TV SERIES PILOT PROMO TRAILER

That's the preview for the remake. Just not sure yet. UGH. Remakes, like Hollyweird has nothing else to do.

WildThing121675
Someone else knows about V.

This is a good thing.

LunaCat

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby
I dunno... it depends. IMO, they should have not remade the original Office. It was pretty good it's first iteration, and I haven't seen that it's been made better in its numerous remakes.

However, Battlestar Galactica is leaps and bounds better than the original IMO. Granted... I think the term they used, "re-imagining", was more apt than "remake"... but still. BSG. Awesome.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Well "Lost" "Weeds" "Dexter" and "Breaking Bad" all say "Hello".
I see your shows and raise you
"The West Wing," "Mad Men," "Entourage," "Extras," "Southland," "The Sopranos," Deadwood," and "Heroes." And "The Wire" gets its own special mention.

HBO and more recently AMC proved there is a market for dark, smart, character-driven shows which challenge the viewer. The mass market has fragmented; and many platforms compete where TV used to be king, and Movies before that. When you combine the choice out there with the ability to pvr, it is more and more apparant that a hardcore niche audience is worth catering to, rather than pretending there are three networks vying for market share in one timeslot. Plus residuals from future merchandise and syndication of those niche shows with a loyal and ardent fanbase will pay off in the long run. Twenty years from now the West Wing will be watched.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
From what I've heard Heroes and Lost have issues with the writers having no clue from one week to the next of where the story is headed.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
I think you guys missed my point. These shows may be popular... but they've all been done before in some way, shape, or form. I haven't seen a really original idea in a long time.

Lost: "Hey! Let's do a show about people stranded on an island by a plane crash."
West Wing: "Political drama!"
Deadwood: "Western"
Heroes: "Alien abductees return with strange powers, and the govt. is out to get them."

I watched the first several episodes of Entourage on DVD... and I didn't thing it was that entertaining at all. "Let's do a show about some guys spending money, getting high, and messing with chicks." Right... sure.

Knight Rider (the original), MacGuyver, Star Trek (again, the original), and etc. were all great shows because they did something different and new and exciting. By now everything on TV is a remake or an offshoot of something that was done years ago.

Has human creativity reached its limit here?

Role
Private
Has human creativity reached its limit here?
No.

There's an excellent quote from around 1896 that is ascribed to the head Patent Officer for the US Patent Office. It went something like, "everything that can be invented has been."

Human creativity has not reached its limit.

However, if we tie this power to fiscal forces (e.g. demanding a return on investment for each show), then it becomes a much closer call. I'd still say no, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.