TSA and diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memphistoj

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Has anyone gone through the body scanners with a diaper on yet? I am heading down to Dallas for a business trip and i am concerned about it, because i have heard some horror stories about people being taken into another room and strip searched because they were wearing a diaper.
I am personally not a fan of the TSA, because i believe they constantly violate peoples unreasonable search and seizure rights.
All that being said, what do y'all think?

B

Butterfly Mage

Nope. The TSA looked through my carry-on bag once and said nothing about it containing diapers.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
erm i wouldent wear the diaper i mean put them in a bag or something prob what ur gonna do i just wouldent take the risk x.x

ShortGuy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
I thought the strip/body searches was when you opted out of the scanning...

Seamuis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
well the TSA has the right to do a full body search if they feel its necessary regardless of wether you go through the scanner or not. I fly often, and I'm getting ready to take another trip to the philippines in april. suffice to say, I have a lot of experience with the TSA and diapers, as a 24/7 wearer. probably 8-9 out of 10 people that go through security will not have to face a body scanner or a full body search. (this does not include the standard metal detector or hand wand scanning that all security checkpoints have) if your airport does have the full body scanners (read:backscatter X-ray scanners) and you opt out of going through it, you WILL be searched by a TSA agent, and you could miss your flight. despite the horrible news all of us US citizens have heard about the elderly and the TSA believing it a threat to national security that they were wearing a diaper (yes I despise, loath and honestly downright hate the TSA and the entire DOHS) the reality is, if you go through a security checkpoint and you are requested to do a full body scan (note, not all airports have these) and you opt-out, you are really unlikely to have to remove your diaper. as bad as the incidents are that we have heard about, they are extremely isolated when you take into account how many people per day, the TSA screens at airports. its far more likely that wearing a diaper will have no impact on you getting through the security checkpoint. if its obvious you are wearing one, they will take note of it. if you have extra diapers in the carryon you are bringing through security, they will take note, and most agents have enough common sense to realize you are wearing a diaper and handle your screening appropriately.

I have not had to go through one of these scanners, as I have not been through an airport that has them, at least not that I have noticed. so I have not had to deal with the choice of opt-out or not. But I have had a full search done on me once. I don't really know why, maybe it was because I was visibly aggravated with the way the TSA agents were yelling and treating everyone, and I had just got of a 14 hour flight from tokyo and I despise washington-dulles airport, so the screener decided to make my day more miserable? regardless, she pulled my aside and told me that she needed to do a full search. I complied, despite having very little time to get to my departing terminal (did I mention how much I hate washington-dulles?) I was taken to a room just aside from the security area and a full body search was done. I did not have to remove my diaper, it wasn't even requested. but I can't say that all agents will follow this level of common sense.

all in all if you do have to face a full body scanner and you opt-out, be prepared to be held up and probably treated crappy for it, but I would think its unlikely that you will have to remove a diaper should you be wearing one, especially now after the embarrassments that the TSA has suffered (more than once!) over diaper related body searches. so I wouldn't worry too much about it, and you won't be pulled aside just for wearing a diaper. thousands of people go through the security checkpoints daily, wearing diapers.

some important points to remember:

1.you do not have to be taken to a private room, you CAN request to be screened in the open if you feel more comfortable that way (if you refuse either you will not be able to fly)
2. if you are requested to do a full body search, ALWAYS make sure to agent changes their protective gloves before screening you. if you see they didn't. absolutely request that they do.
3.if you are traveling with someone they can be with you, even in a private room for a full body screening.

this link may be helpful, even though it doesn't mention anything specifically about diapers or incontinence garments specifically.

TSA: Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

Last edited:

happydl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've gone through the TSA full body scanners a number of times now while wearing diapers. They have never said anything to me about it. I have only had one comment from a TSA agent in years of travelling. It was during a hand search (for toothpaste in my bag!) and the comment was "are you travelling with a baby?" to which I answered No. :)

P

PaddedPuppy

I was asked to change out of my diaper into one that had went through their security scanners before, But I have never been through one of the body scanners before, my local airport has only just got them. Other times I have had no problems with diapers in my bag going through airport security.

Even when I was asked to change, They weren't rude about it or anything, and let me use a room where I was left alone. Still wasn't too happy about it though. Suppose it could have been worse if it was in a US Airport, where every time I go through they treat me like a criminal.

Anyway, as people above have said, the searches were replaced by the scanner, and will only happen if you say no to being scanned. The chances are you won't even got stopped for any of that.

Siddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I went through the scanner just last month. not one problem at the airport at San Jose, CA. just dont be so nervous looking as you do then they can think your hiding something besides padding.

anna s

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Um? TSA and Diapers. Once you have checked your case in, sadly its still not safe from their searchs. I returned from the US to the UK on Tuesday, checked my case in at the desk adn thought nothing of it. My case has one of those built in combination lock thingies.

When I got back to my house all jet lagged and tired as hell I just went strait to bed. In the morning I decieded to start to unpack my stuff. When I unlocked it, I opened the lid, contained inside was a slip of paper saying something along the lines of "your bag was searched by the TSA bla bla bla and your bag was locked and the lock may have been damaged". So they obviously searched my out the back after I checked it in. I have no idea how they managed to get in because my lock was fully functional and was fully secure when I picked it back up in London. On closer inspection of the lock, I noticed a key hole type thing, so one must assume that they have a kinda universal key to get into peoples bags?

Anyway, back to the subject of TSA and diapers, I had no nappies in my case. But if they did find any, they couldnt do a thing.

Siddy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
I noticed a key hole type thing, so one must assume that they have a kinda universal key to get into peoples bags?

Did it have the TSA 003 or 4 if it has that then they can open it.

anna s

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Did it have the TSA 003 or 4 if it has that then they can open it.

I just had a look and it says nothing about TSA at all. And I purchased my case in the UK. So Im guessing it must be one of these locks you mentioned?

beachboy42

Banned
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I don't think they can do a thing about you wearing diapers.

But don't show up wearing pull up for children. That's a dead give away.
When wearing adult diapers or carring them in a backpack or suitcase, you should be in the clear.

I think they might not even ask why you are wearing diapers. But I live on the old continent, not in the US.

zippyboy

Rep for CosyDry
Company Rep
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
No scanner for me - I am worried about the radiation long term effects. Google it and you will see so are some TSA agents. Anyway. Every time I travel I have no issue whatsoever but have had pat-downs and hand scanners and so forth. They were more embarrassed than I was and apologized a few times for the search of my bags and the pat down. A bag full of nappies and wipes got a through search but I noticed his face was red while doing it. Almost felt bad for him.

Honeywell6180

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
What about someone with Goodnites, because they are more discrete? I personally don't like any of the Depends pullups.

JDCH

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I've gone through the backscatter x-ray wearing a semi-wet pull up. The agent in the control room radioed to the agent at the machine to ask me if I had any medical issues "in the pelvic region". I confirmed that I did. The agent, discreetly, asked what it was or if I would prefer a private room. I told her I have a slight incontinence problem due to an accident. The only issue is English was not this agent's first language so I had to explain what incontience was. Once she understood, she radioed back the the control room and I was on my way. No real problem.

Seamuis

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Um? TSA and Diapers. Once you have checked your case in, sadly its still not safe from their searchs. I returned from the US to the UK on Tuesday, checked my case in at the desk adn thought nothing of it. My case has one of those built in combination lock thingies.

When I got back to my house all jet lagged and tired as hell I just went strait to bed. In the morning I decieded to start to unpack my stuff. When I unlocked it, I opened the lid, contained inside was a slip of paper saying something along the lines of "your bag was searched by the TSA bla bla bla and your bag was locked and the lock may have been damaged". So they obviously searched my out the back after I checked it in. I have no idea how they managed to get in because my lock was fully functional and was fully secure when I picked it back up in London. On closer inspection of the lock, I noticed a key hole type thing, so one must assume that they have a kinda universal key to get into peoples bags?

Anyway, back to the subject of TSA and diapers, I had no nappies in my case. But if they did find any, they couldnt do a thing.

I believe the TSA's rules regarding combination or padlocked checked luggage is that the TSA has the right to break open your lock (at your expense) to do a baggage check. If you have a nonTSA approved lock you are pretty much asking to have your luggage opened and checked. If your case has a TSA approved lock, they will have a key. If you purchase a lock for your luggage, it would be in your best Interest to make sure it's a TSA approved one, to avoid any problems, because if they break your lock, all they willl do is put a hard plastic zip tie on to resecure it. I don't use a lock, because I feel it's pointless when so many people essentially have a key. The real ugliness of it all is that the TSA bullies other countries into adopting their policies, so a TSA approved lock will mean that security (and who knows how many other people) in many other countries also have a key. (this is likely why your lock wasn't damaged, even if bought in the UK, because its likely TSA approved) There are two security measures approved by the TSA. The locks and a zip tie. I Color coordinated zip ties which I mark with a sharpie, when I travel with camera equipment in checked luggage.

Foley

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
well the TSA has the right

No, they just think they do.

They actually don't. Being a federal agency they have to follow the constitution.

The Fourth Amendment said:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

But just because they don't have the right doesn't mean they won't use force to do whatever they want to anyhow.

As for the OP question; Honestly, if you're traveling with people you know, there's way too much risk of exposure. I carried a diaper through in a backpack and that was fine, but i wouldn't wear one through security. Be absolutely sure there's nothing in your bag that shouldn't be there. Wouldn't want them taking the diaper out to make room to search the bag and setting it in pain view. You're not allowed to touch your belongings during a search.

Teekabell

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
I have never been through one of the scanners (never checked in at an airport with one). I have never been patted down searched either. I just put everything I can through the x-ray machine and walk through the medal detector. Once I have had the hand scanner used. Never has the issue a diaper in my carry on luggage or on me come up.

I do give you one suggestion. Be in a dry diaper when you go through the checkpoint, and have a diaper change in your carry on bag. Almost all the reports I have heard of TSA and diaper incidents were concerns over a wet diaper. They are really leary about gel and liquid, and a wet diaper is full of gel and liquid.

abdl86

Playing whit leafs
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Little
I have never been through one of the scanners (never checked in at an airport with one). I have never been patted down searched either. I just put everything I can through the x-ray machine and walk through the medal detector. Once I have had the hand scanner used. Never has the issue a diaper in my carry on luggage or on me come up.

I do give you one suggestion. Be in a dry diaper when you go through the checkpoint, and have a diaper change in your carry on bag. Almost all the reports I have heard of TSA and diaper incidents were concerns over a wet diaper. They are really leary about gel and liquid, and a wet diaper is full of gel and liquid.

Good id you have here.

Traemo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Diaperfur
  5. Carer
No, they just think they do.

They actually don't. Being a federal agency they have to follow the constitution.

The key word you're overlooking is Unreasonable. The current legal standard is these are reasonable searches in the interest of Public Safety.

Personally, I think a better solution is requiring that all ammo taken aboard be frangible, or the weapon must be checked. Sure, sniff for high explosives in luggage, but holding me up to try and preclude me from taking dangerous items through security? Either completely immobilize me or accept that you can't stop me from being dangerous on the other side of the check point.

I never did much work with TSA, but keep in mind they're just people trying to do a job. All the abuse and hate that gets heaped on them definitely isn't helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.