Trying out modern cloth nappies

toddler

I love wearing cloth nappies and plastic pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I am trying out modern cloth nappies find out what they like. I have two Inserts one is a microfiber cloth nappy and other one is a bamboo cloth nappy.

Reactions: AmberNZ, OldTerry, Furrytum and 3 others

todderhr

Toddler in Hampton Roads, VA, USA
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
  4. Little
I can't wait for the review.

Reactions: AmberNZ

AmberNZ

Kiwi girl from NZ
Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Carer
toddler said:
I am trying out modern cloth nappies find out what they like. I have two Inserts one is a microfiber cloth nappy and other one is a bamboo cloth nap
Do you have a link of what you’re currently trying out?

I’m only starting out my own diaper journey and love reusable diapers. So far I have tried an all-in-one diaper cover with inserts and training pants. I’m still trialing them to know if I need to wear protection pants - if anyone knows if I should be, please let me know?

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
toddler said:
I am trying out modern cloth nappies find out what they like. I have two Inserts one is a microfiber cloth nappy and other one is a bamboo cloth nappy.
Have fun exploring, If you have any questions regarding cloth nappies or want any recommendations for what to try, how to care for them etc. Feel free to ask, I have a pretty good amount of experience.

AmberNZ said:
I’m only starting out my own diaper journey and love reusable diapers. So far I have tried an all-in-one diaper cover with inserts and training pants. I’m still trialing them to know if I need to wear protection pants - if anyone knows if I should be, please let me know?
do you know which, can you link them?

Generally an all in one is not considered a "cover" but a complete system, while inserts can boost them, they can function well on their own, if what you tried requires inserts to be absorbent it my be more of a pocket than an AIO.

What gets listed as adult "training pants" from a lot of places are more for fun than function, they look cute and can absorb a little bit but usually don't have any water proof covering so if you do wet them it will escape onto clothing/furniture you need protective cover (pants or a wrap of some kind) to keep the wee inside.

Like with a toddlers non waterproof training pants they are not meant to stop and contain wee but to allow the toddler to feel and see when they've wet so they can learn while hopefully soaking up enough that they don't leave a big puddle on the floor. This works for children since they pee less, it will make their trousers wet, maybe down to the ankle but hopefully stops them leaving a big puddle.

Waterproof training pants on the other hand for children and adults are designed to keep wee inside and leave clothing dry but they generally aren't made to hold much more than a little leak as a warning/reminder that you need to go, so you make your way to a toilet to do it.

Cloth pull ups on the other hand are different in that they tend to use more layers and a more absorbent fabric either with a waterproof outer or to be used with plastic pants they are also often designed with space to be able to add in boosters and can be used more like a diaper, though they often stil won't hold as much as a diaper will.

toddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I always do research into the nappies i want to buy first. I will buy 1 to try out.

toddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
todderhr said:
I can't wait for the review.
I have been very happy so far.

Reactions: todderhr

Soooooflauschig

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Belarin said:
Have fun exploring, If you have any questions regarding cloth nappies or want any recommendations for what to try, how to care for them etc. Feel free to ask, I have a pretty good amount of experience.

do you know which, can you link them?

Generally an all in one is not considered a "cover" but a complete system, while inserts can boost them, they can function well on their own, if what you tried requires inserts to be absorbent it my be more of a pocket than an AIO.

What gets listed as adult "training pants" from a lot of places are more for fun than function, they look cute and can absorb a little bit but usually don't have any water proof covering so if you do wet them it will escape onto clothing/furniture you need protective cover (pants or a wrap of some kind) to keep the wee inside.

Like with a toddlers non waterproof training pants they are not meant to stop and contain wee but to allow the toddler to feel and see when they've wet so they can learn while hopefully soaking up enough that they don't leave a big puddle on the floor. This works for children since they pee less, it will make their trousers wet, maybe down to the ankle but hopefully stops them leaving a big puddle.

Waterproof training pants on the other hand for children and adults are designed to keep wee inside and leave clothing dry but they generally aren't made to hold much more than a little leak as a warning/reminder that you need to go, so you make your way to a toilet to do it.

Cloth pull ups on the other hand are different in that they tend to use more layers and a more absorbent fabric either with a waterproof outer or to be used with plastic pants they are also often designed with space to be able to add in boosters and can be used more like a diaper, though they often stil won't hold as much as a diaper will.
Do you have experience with the different kinds of cloth diapers/Trainers/pullups?

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I wear pocket cloth nappies , you can buy a LG size from Amazon and I stuff it with a varying mix of boosters
Some are better than others
But I find a pocket nappy more comfortable than a plastic disposable also I get less hot even with PUL pants over the top

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I used cloth on and off for a while didn't get to try too much as I bought a whole bunch of the leak master ... Some all in ones some Velcro tabbed briefs and some pul ones without the pul backing and some prefolds. Then my wife got out her sewing machine and made me a few more. But as my IBS has gotten bad and my bowel ic has gotten worse they just became more work...😐 So now I wear the pullon all in ones over my disposables to bed or on long car trips.... whenever a leak is possible really.... especially when I fly after a bad experience. .

• Sad
Reactions: parcelboy2

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Raven801 said:
I used cloth on and off for a while didn't get to try too much as I bought a whole bunch of the leak master ... Some all in ones some Velcro tabbed briefs and some pul ones without the pul backing and some prefolds. Then my wife got out her sewing machine and made me a few more. But as my IBS has gotten bad and my bowel ic has gotten worse they just became more work...😐 So now I wear the pullon all in ones over my disposables to bed or on long car trips.... whenever a leak is possible really.... especially when I fly after a bad experience. .
I to would think twice about cloth if I had IBS , luckily it’s my bladder that’s the misbehaving thing

Forced

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
For those that like a more ‘traditional’ cloth nappy I can recommend these from UK company Cosyndry.
Nanny Margaret will make them to size.

I have issues with the modern pocket style nappies so these are perfect for me.

Attachments

• FFA4FFD8-080B-4C0E-9717-C1773DDC6809.jpeg
    FFA4FFD8-080B-4C0E-9717-C1773DDC6809.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Chrissie and Belarin

Soooooflauschig

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Raven801 said:
I would Love to make some of them myself, especially trainer pants. Did she just upsize childrens sewing patterns to your size or how did she do the sewing?

Reactions: Belarin

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Forced said:
For those that like a more ‘traditional’ cloth nappy I can recommend these from UK company Cosyndry.

Those look good for night time ,
Pocket suit me for day time wearing , no go for night as I flood out the top 😩

Raven801

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
parcelboy2 said:
I to would think twice about cloth if I had IBS , luckily it’s my bladder that’s the misbehaving thing
Yeah I actually miss my cloth the one thing cloth does better than anything is for side sleepers..... I would take some terry boosters and wrap my hips . It didn't matter how much I drank sleeping on one side all night ... No problem. That and it was nice to get to switch it up as I wore disposables to work but at home It was cloth even when my bowel issues started getting bad at night and early morning. Put a sprayer on the toilet not too big of a deal but as it became multiple times a day it just became less manageable....😐 However if I was in a situation where I was going to be stuck in a loaded diaper for a bit of time ..... Cloth is the way to go because it holds the odor in better and doesn't leak. But changing while out and about especially when poopy is a big deal.... I'm currently going back to school for graphic communication so I can work from home ....then I'll probably go back to cloth here and there just as It's nice to switch it up and your skin appreciates it.

parcelboy2

Padded Truck driver
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Reactions: Belarin

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Soooooflauschig said:
Do you have experience with the different kinds of cloth diapers/Trainers/pullups?
I would have to say yes.
With premade (store bought), I have tried:
  • 3 different brand/style AIO's. with and without different inserts.
  • 3 different brand/style AI2's with various kinds of covers including PVC, PEVA, PUL, Wool and Nylon as pull on, snap on and hook and loop in various shapes with/without inserts.
  • 2 Pockets, with different inserts.
  • 4 different brand Training pants (both with and without built in waterproofing).
  • 3 Different brand pull ons.
  • Various different materials of flats, contours, and prefolds.
  • Several different type and designs of insert/booster.
With my own home made items I have built and tried.
  • 1 AIO (not a fan of AIO's due to washing and drying time).
  • 2 different styles of AI2's.
  • 2 pocket pull up, (one with built in absorbency one without any).
  • 1 Training pants (with waterproof wet zone only).
  • 3 Pull ons including my own variation on a pull on GDiaper.
  • My own PUL waterproof pants in various incarnations to get shaping right.
What is it you would like to know? 😜

Forced said:

These are actually quite good I have tried them myself. Definitely worth considering.

Raven801 said:
Yeah I actually miss my cloth the one thing cloth does better than anything is for side sleepers.....

Put a sprayer on the toilet not too big of a deal but as it became multiple times a day it just became less manageable....

😐 However if I was in a situation where I was going to be stuck in a loaded diaper for a bit of time ..... Cloth is the way to go because it holds the odor in better and doesn't leak. But changing while out and about especially when poopy is a big deal....
Definitely better for side sleepers couldn't agree more there.

I still want to get a sprayer, is awkward to fit on my toilet though. Would also lead to questioning from visitors/family which I could do without. I've been looking around for a system that can attach to a faucet on the sink and would therefore be removable if I didn't want it seen.

They are good at holding in odors, changing out and about isn't too bad if you can find the right place, no worse really than a disposable just maybe takes a little longer. The worst part of it would be changing a dirty one and then having to carry that around with you the rest of the day.

parcelboy2 said:
Look at Little onion cloth has patterns you can buy https://littleonionincontinencepatterns.com/
Great site, I've half inched inspiration from them. Prefold2fitted also has a good collection of sewing patterns available and Arfy makes has a great youtube channel with tutorials.

Last edited:
Reactions: todderhr

Soooooflauschig

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
Belarin said:
I would have to say yes.
With premade (store bought), I have tried:
  • 3 different brand/style AIO's. with and without different inserts.
  • 3 different brand/style AI2's with various kinds of covers including PVC, PEVA, PUL, Wool and Nylon as pull on, snap on and hook and loop in various shapes with/without inserts.
  • 2 Pockets, with different inserts.
  • 4 different brand Training pants (both with and without built in waterproofing).
  • 3 Different brand pull ons.
  • Various different materials of flats, contours, and prefolds.
  • Several different type and designs of insert/booster.
With my own home made items I have built and tried.
  • 1 AIO (not a fan of AIO's due to washing and drying time).
  • 2 different styles of AI2's.
  • 2 pocket pull up, (one with built in absorbency one without any).
  • 1 Training pants (with waterproof wet zone only).
  • 3 Pull ons including my own variation on a pull on GDiaper.
  • My own PUL waterproof pants in various incarnations to get shaping right.
What is it you would like to know? 😜

These are actually quite good I have tried them myself. Definitely worth considering.

Definitely better for side sleepers couldn't agree more there.

I still want to get a sprayer, is awkward to fit on my toilet though. Would also lead to questioning from visitors/family which I could do without. I've been looking around for a system that can attach to a faucet on the sink and would therefore be removable if I didn't want it seen.

They are good at holding in odors, changing out and about isn't too bad if you can find the right place, no worse really than a disposable just maybe takes a little longer. The worst part of it would be changing a dirty one and then having to carry that around with you the rest of the day.

Great site, I've half inched a few ideas from them. Prefold2fitted also has a good collection of sewing patterns available and Arfy makes has a great youtube channel with tutorials.
How difficult would you say was it to sew them yourself? I'm like not really experienced with my sewing machine but i'm really crafty and stuff.. Could it work?

Did you try something with the zorb stuff as absorbency?

Which waterproof trainers did you Like most?

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Soooooflauschig said:
How difficult would you say was it to sew them yourself? I'm like not really experienced with my sewing machine but i'm really crafty and stuff.. Could it work?
Considering I only took up sewing at the beginning of the year, not really all that hard. The hardest part is making or adapting a pattern to suit your needs, the top of your legs, crotch, hips and bottom are the hardest part of the body to design for but thakfully with a nappy you're not really going for stylish form fitting clothes which makes it easier. Upscaling is a little more difficult I'd say as a baby's proportions are a little different but not by a lot.

If you are craft minded, a little creative and capable of thinking things through fully drafting a pattern is not hard nor is apscaling a baby nappy pattern. there's really only a few measurements you need to consider: Waist, Hips, thigh circumference and rise (from the waistband on the back through the legs and up to the waistband on front).

whether you are going from scratch and drafting your own pattern what might help is getting a large doll with as realistic proportions as you can and try making some for that so you don't use a lot of material until you understand how it all comes together.

Soooooflauschig said:
Did you try something with the zorb stuff as absorbency?
I have used Zorb (the pre sandwiched 3d stuff) with somewhat mixed results. It's easy enough to work with but I'm not 100% convinced it's as good as they say. I've recently done some serious testing for the Threaded Armor inserts and for a laugh I tested a rectangular double layer of Zorb using a little bit that I had left.

Bareing in mind it was thrown together last minute as a "well I have all this stuff out already so why not" thing and therefore it did not have any wash cycles to "prime" it, but it did not fare well (didn't even absorb close to the 300ml of water from the 1st test). Stuff I've made a while back seems to fir better so I will give this pad a couple more wash cycles and test again.

Soooooflauschig said:
Which waterproof trainers did you Like most?
Gotta probably say the Baby Pants ones, more for look than function though. They are soft and comfy with a few prints and 2 thicknesses, not amaingly absorbent though but training pants are not meant to be soaked.

toddler

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
AmberNZ said:
Do you have a link of what you’re currently trying out?

This is a Direct Link where I am getting my nappies from call little aussis monster: