Torrents

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

So, I haven't really tried torrents all that much and I wanted to know what the deallio with them was. Anyway, I wanted to watch House and I thought:

"This would be a great time to see what a torrent can do!"

So I get all my shit taken care of and I download something called "Bit Torrent" and I get to work.

I find the House episode that I was looking for and I click download. I was really excited at this point thinking that I was going to get to watch House soon. So I go to my Torrent to see where it's at and it read:

"1 1/2 days"

And it was still fluctuating between times, which usually happens with Limewire and then it dies down to like...minutes.

So I put it off to the side and come back in a few minutes:

"3 days"

I was like...wtf, so I come back in a few more minutes:

"5 days"

Was this getting longer or was it just me?!?

"7 Days"

And now I was just thinking that the Ring was out to get me and I would die before my torrent was finished and I could even take a glimpse at the awesomeness of Hugh.

Now that it is at 10 days though I am giving up before it goes to like 17 or something.

If you do the torrent thing...I just want to know...wtf?

FullMetal

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I have only torrented a few times, but from what I know the speed of the download depends on how many others are "seeding" it... as in, how many other people are offering to upload to you, what you want to download.

But don't quote me on that.

If you are looking to just watch House, let me know. I know a few sites that have almost all seasons available to watch (youtube esque sites).

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've tried the torrent thing...And I managed to download something in like an hour or so...But I had no clue how you play it...I thought it was too confusing...I'll stick to watching videos without downloading

Altric

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I used to use torrents in the past, but because of recent events in the news and lawsuits surrounding the use of torrents, I don't really use them anymore.

Anyways, torrents' download speeds are regulated by many factors:

1. The number of Seeders - People with the complete files that they keep online to share with others.

2. Number of Leechers - People who are downloading the files, but do not have the complete files to be counted as a seeder yet.

3. Your bandwidth speed - Both Uploading and Downloading Speed. The faster your internet connection, the faster the speeds of both.

4. Active Programs on your computer - The more things that you have open on your computer, the longer the download will take.

Whenever you download the torrent, download one with a high seed count. Also, I recommend downloading the torrents at night while you are asleep, that way your usual computer activity won't interfere with the speed/time it takes to download the files. I would also recommend something other than bittorrent as your downloading client. The ones that I have heard most people use are either utorrent or azureus. One last thing, for the sake of others downloading the files, please wait a while before you remove the torrent from the downloading client. Even if there is a high seed count, the more people with the files, the faster others' download speeds will be. Just be courteous. Others were kind enough to seed for you, so you should reciprocate (at least until your download to upload ratio it 1:1)

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Carer, Other
1. Go to thepiratebay
2. Type in the episode
3. Sort by seeders
4. ????????????
5. Profit!

How many seeders and leachers were on that torrent?

Also, try using µTorrent , it's a different client and may give you different speeds.

Last edited:
E

Error404

I used to use torrents in the past, but because of recent events in the news and lawsuits surrounding the use of torrents, I don't really use them anymore.

1. The number of Seeders - People with the complete files that they keep online to share with others.

2. Number of Leechers - People who are downloading the files, but do not have the complete files to be counted as a seeder yet.

3. Your bandwidth speed - Both Uploading and Downloading Speed. The faster your internet connection, the faster the speeds of both.

4. Active Programs on your computer - The more things that you have open on your computer, the longer the download will take.

Whenever you download the torrent, download one with a high seed count. Also, I recommend downloading the torrents at night while you are asleep, that way your usual computer activity won't interfere with the speed/time it takes to download the files. I would also recommend something other than bittorrent as your downloading client. The ones that I have heard most people use are either utorrent or azureus. One last thing for the sake of others download the files, please wait a while before you remove the torrent from the downloading client. Even if there is a high seed count, the more people with the files, the faster others' download speeds will be. Just be courteous. Others were kind enough to seed for you, so you should reciprocate (at least until your download to upload ratio it 1:1)
From one computer geek to everyone else: Take my word on this.

Don't touch Azureus. utorrent is fine. I use BitComet (Not the best, but it supports awesome stuff and is lesser monitored.)

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
Utorrent i found to be the best torrenting program. Also if anyone want a demonoid invite drop me a pm.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't touch torrents. My connection speed is just too bad for me to bother. If I am downloading something then I want it, now! If it takes more than a few hours I am afraid I just can't be bothered.

Sawaa

Est. Contributor
Role
Sissy
utorrent is pretty gross; it's lost touch with its roots.
My preference is for Azureus on Windows, Linux or Mac. It's just the most fully featured - not to mention *fast* torrent (as little as that term means, with torrents) client I've used; and I've been using BT since its inception.
If you want speed, though, usenet is far better~

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I talked about torrenting games once here and was pretty much told off for it and yet this topic still hasn't had anyone say "Hey wait a second we don't want you to talk about this stuff here!"

Also Spore, CoD4, Mass Effect and Assassins Creed are all cool.

Role
Diaper Lover

Whenever you download the torrent, download one with a high seed count. Also, I recommend downloading the torrents at night while you are asleep, that way your usual computer activity won't interfere with the speed/time it takes to download the files. I would also recommend something other than bittorrent as your downloading client. The ones that I have heard most people use are either utorrent or azureus. One last thing, for the sake of others downloading the files, please wait a while before you remove the torrent from the downloading client. Even if there is a high seed count, the more people with the files, the faster others' download speeds will be. Just be courteous. Others were kind enough to seed for you, so you should reciprocate (at least until your download to upload ratio it 1:1)
Yea, he got it pretty much right on the head. I torrent quite alot, and it really is, how good the seeders are. And once you download something, its 'proper' and 'courteous' to seed for a day or so. Kinda ironic considering you stealing...

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I've always found Azureus to be bloated and bulky. Why use a java based torrent program when on windows? utorrent is amazingly quick, lightweight, and has a ton of features. I've been experimenting with RSS feeds (eztv has a good one). It will automatically download the new episodes of my shows when they're out! So cool :D

Anything over 50 seeders for new shows, or over 5 seeders for not-so-new stuff, and you should be fine :) Make sure the port that Azureus/utorrent is requesting has been opened on your router (TCP packet). Also make sure to limit your upload- TCP/IP (the protocol the internet uses) has an issue where if you saturate your upload (max out your upload speed) it will cause your download speed to suffer. Set it at around half of what your max upload will go to.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Personally I use ktorrent for all my torrenting needs. But yeah, it's going to have to do with the seeds. If it's taking a really long time, you may have found a torrent where the whole torrent is not available (that is, there are chunks of the file which no peer has). This means that your download can't proceed until someone who does have it joins the torrent.

Status
Not open for further replies.