• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Top 5 Favorite Albums of 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triscuit

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
We're just over a week into the new year and I'm itching for some new music. I do, however, want to solicit some feedback from everyone on their top 5 (or 6, 7, or 8) records of 2008. It's inevitable that I missed some great stuff, and I want in on it all before 2009 becomes flooded with new music! :detective3

I personally thought 2008 was an amazing year for some of my favorite artists and I'll list my favorite 5 records of 2008:

1.) Delays - Everything's The Rush
2.) Keane - Perfect Symmetry
3.) The Killers - Day & Age
4.) Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
5.) M83 - Saturdays = Youth

Honorable Mention:
6.) Shiny Toy Guns - Season of Poison
7.) Leona Lewis - Spirit
8.) Lady GaGa - The Fame
9.) Kings of Leon - Only By the Night
10.) The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

There it is! Anyone else share an interest in my favorite music of 2008? Now share YOURS!! :D

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
We seem to have a similar taste in music...I don't really buy albums though, and I'll end up just getting like one or two songs...So I don't really have a top 5...

These are in no order

1. Hard Candy - Madonna
2. Viva la Vida - Coldplay
3. Want - 3OH!3
4. Day & Age - The Killers
5. Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie
6. Thriving Ivory - Thriving Ivory
7. The Fame - Lady GaGa
8. Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
9. One of the Boys - Katy Perry
10. Circus - Britney Spears

Although I love these artists, I found some of their newer albums disappointing...Such as the Keane one the OP mentioned, and I found the Killers one disappointing, although they are my favorite band

Triscuit

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
We seem to have a similar taste in music...I don't really buy albums though, and I'll end up just getting like one or two songs...So I don't really have a top 5...

These are in no order

1. Hard Candy - Madonna
2. Viva la Vida - Coldplay
3. Want - 3OH!3
4. Day & Age - The Killers
5. Narrow Stairs - Death Cab for Cutie
6. Thriving Ivory - Thriving Ivory
7. The Fame - Lady GaGa
8. Oracular Spectacular - MGMT
9. One of the Boys - Katy Perry
10. Circus - Britney Spears

Although I love these artists, I found some of their newer albums disappointing...Such as the Keane one the OP mentioned, and I found the Killers one disappointing, although they are my favorite band
Pojo! We DO have similar tastes in aural candy :)

Shame on me for forgetting MGMT -- I had it on repeat for weeks in the car!

I am not surprised that you didn't like the Keane record, it took me a little bit to get into it, too. I really loved the title track right off the bat though. "Holy truth? Brother, I choose this mortal life - Lived in perfect symmetry. What I do, that will be done to me." I love all things symmetrical and even - when I first heard the song, it reinforced the values that I hold in my life - thoughts of karma and "do unto others." I also feel like it addresses the corruption of mankind these days.

Dream

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer
1.) Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone
2.) Gun & Roses - Chinese Democracy
3.) AC/DC - Black Ice
4.) Nightmare Revisted
5.) Buckethead - Enter the Chicken

I can think of more but that the only once I can think of right now, because most of the band I listen to had album that came out in 07.

Last edited:
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
1. Panic at the Disco - Pretty. Odd.
2. Katy Perry - One of the Boys
3. Mindless Self Indulgence - If
4. Lady GaGa - The Fame
5. The Kooks - Konk

Most of my other favorites are from 2007 :O

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Shu, I definitely agree with MSI. At first, I despised the new album, but it grew on me over the course of a few good hours, and it's barely been out of my CD player since the release date.

I also agree with the Viva La Vida sentiment! What a great, great album!

As for anything else? I haven't bought an actual new CD in awhile -- I've been nit-picking with songs here and there from offline... so I don't think I'm a reliable source of opinion!

Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
Shu, I definitely agree with MSI. At first, I despised the new album, but it grew on me over the course of a few good hours, and it's barely been out of my CD player since the release date.

I love MSI's originality. And their lyrics make me laugh. It's hard to put them in one genre - and I really like that. What's your favorite song?

I like Viva La Vida. I have my favorites on that album: Violet Hill and Strawberry Swing.

Triscuit

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Agreed! the Prospekt's March EP is a great listen, as well! 'Life In Technicolor II' is everything and more than I expected.

I'm glad that GaGa is getting some major <3

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
:bunny: Haven't figured out how to use my ipod - I've had it over a year. Got a new album (CD) last January for my birthday: Raising Sand: Allison Krause and Robert Plant. Being as I like bluegrass and Led Zepplin, this was fun for me. :bunny:

Last edited:

Mawile

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Sissy
I dont think i got any new CDs cept one ._.

1. Dir en grey - Uroboros

the rest are older ones >.<

Role
Diaper Lover
For me it would be...

1.- Thrice - Alchemy index Air and Earth.
2.- Trivium - Shogun.
3.- Ayreon - 01011001.
4.- Metallica - Death Magnetic (at least I liked it...).
5.- Guns and Roses - Chinese Democracy (supposedly being the most expected album of all time).

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Eisbrecher- Sünde
In Extremo- Sängerkrieg
Metallica- Death Magnetic

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
:bunny: Haven't figured out how to use my ipod - I've had it over a year.
Download Itunes and use that as your music player and then sync your Ipod to it. It's really not that hard. <_>

But if you still don't want to use it I'll trade you your Ipod for mine. Assuming yours can play video and is at least 20 gigs (18.5 gigs)

Mine is a 4th gen Ipod Photo. "20" gigs but its really 18.5

Role
Private
Strangely enough, only two albums came out this year that I actually wanted to get.

M83 - Saturdays = Youth ... (great band that I had the pleasure of seeing live in early '08)
Autechre - Quaristice (+ versions)

Triscuit

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
5.- Guns and Roses - Chinese Democracy (supposedly being the most expected album of all time).
I know that I've definitely been waiting since the mid-1990's. Strangely enough, the very first record I ever remember holding was Appetite For Destruction. GN'R has a permanent place in my heart. Chinese Democracy is definitely listenable; I really like the melody in the verses on "Better," it's very Axl-ish!

Since it made your top 5 list, I guess you really liked it too! Are you a fan of any other Guns stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.