Too Old for Videogames?

I lost interest maybe 20 years ago because they started to be too much of a time sink, as this place can be if I let it.

FWIW, Mrs. Maxx puts a lot of hours on her XBOX. I'm not sure what games she plays, but I gather it's mostly first person shooters and some roleplay. Yes, she is an official senior citizen. I believe I've seen cases with things like "Skyrim" and "Assasin's Creed" laying around. There was some apocalypse related game too a couple years ago.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dogboy and ShyBoo81
ShyBoo81 said:
Not trying to bash on anyone 25 and older who still play videogames. But is there anyone here who used to be a gamer, but dont play anymore because you’re too old for videogames?

I ask this because I used to think I’d be a gamer well into my 30s, but nowadays Im NOT into them anymore (and Im only 27!) I fear this is a sign that Im beginning to lose my youth, and that Im getting old 🙁 Just hoping Im not the only one…
I still play , but not much.. it all got boring... The most I played was Yu-Gi-Oh. Which I love , very clever game and always evolving. But I became to addicted to the game so I stopped.. nowadays I play Nintendo switch randomly but not often . Everything just seems 2 dimensional and lacking in any real emotional involvement... And I just lose interest...

Reactions: ShyBoo81
MaxxH said:
FWIW, Mrs. Maxx puts a lot of hours on her XBOX. I'm not sure what games she plays, but I gather it's mostly first person shooters and some roleplay. Yes, she is an official senior citizen. I believe I've seen cases with things like "Skyrim" and "Assasin's Creed" laying around. There was some apocalypse related game too a couple years ago.
Wow thats pretty cool Mrs. Maxx plays Xbox as a senior citizen! I hope to still be into hobbies that young people generally like when I grow old 😌

Last edited:
I play games from time to time but I play the same ones. I want to do new games but rarely do. I'm just getting to that age where there are other things to do. Plus babies don't play PC games :)

"Too Old for Videogames?"
never
never too old to be a streamer of games on top of things, as this example shows

• Love
I agree you’re never too old for video games. In fact some studies have shown that the playing of some video games (brain training, monopoly and trivial pursuit electronic versions) can actually decrease the risk of developing issues like dementia and Alzheimers. So playing video games is actually good for the older generation. Depending on the game of course I can’t see my grandmother whose in her 90s playing Assassins Creed or Halo.😁 Just to add something my grandmother has a IPad and does play games like Sudoku and word games on it.

• Love
Reactions: Sidewinder, ShyBoo81 and Kittyinpink
I'm 43 and play warezone about 20hrs/week

Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Kittyinpink
There's no such thing as being too old for video games. Like any other hobby or pastime, it's just a question of having the time to play or not. Having a wife and a child has certainly impacted my time spent playing games, but I still find the time here and there to play. If it's something you enjoy doing, then you're never too old to do it. I mean, come on, you're talking to abdl's here, lol.

Reactions: BlueDude and ShyBoo81
Never too old for games!!!!

And I will die on this hill!!

Reactions: Kittyinpink, amiincon and ShyBoo81
I don't Majorly online game anymore as much, not because I got older there are people older than me that do it.

But because to me Online gaming becomes a chore after a while, I want a nice relaxing experience not "Hey let's play this Now let's play this, NOW OVER TO THIS!!" it's a headache to me I just wanna do my own thing.

I'd probably stop playing video games at 65.

Too old for video games? Maybe if you're older than 60-70, and you already have arthritis.
A lot of adults will still play games that are suited for kids. Pokemon, Mario, Sonic, Zelda. Then there are games that are meant for adults, Doom, Bioshock, Halo, Half Life, Bayonetta, Wolfenstein.
I'm 25, I play all kinds of games, except sports, and I'm still gonna play as long as I can, but maintain a life while at it.

To say you're too old for video games is like saying you're too old for reading fantasy books.

Games are another media for stories to be told, to say they're all childish is the most narrow minded and foolish assumption that could ever be said.

That's Millions of stories you are now signing away saying "I'm growing out of video games."

That's beautiful music you are passing up because you think there's an age range to playing a game.

Take for example Kan Gao's games, they're beautiful stories about accepting the way you've lived your own life while you go through the life of another and see their hardships and how In the end Everything's Alright. You only get this single life no matter how many times you want to live it over again wondering what you would have done differently.

Would you still end up here in the end?

You would willingly say that coming to terms with your life as it is now is a childish theme?

I pity those who missed these stories because they thought they couldn't stop and smell the flowers every once in a while, afraid that if they did they'd never want to leave.

Games are a gift to us all, and they should never be taken for granted.

Reactions: ShippoFox and ShyBoo81
While I don't think I'll ever stop playing video games, I will say my friend and I have been enjoying board games more often lately. I mean, I could see myself really enjoying Warhammer at some point. Not the stupefying costs of acquiring an army, but the game itself, lol.

While I don’t really play much new video games. I still enjoy playing some of the older games on SNES and N64. But I usually stay busy traveling and in my downtime I rather watch some anime then play video games.

Reactions: Saltedcaramel64
You can never be too old, it just so happens that as we age we have less and less free time. I make it a point to enjoy my free time, I don’t have a family so I can do whatever I want on my days off.

I grew up playing video games on Atari and Nintendo. My parents never played and I only met one adult who played Nintendo back then.
Fast forward 30 years and I still play video games. Now I play them with my kids. Its a great way for us to have fun together and bond. We talk games and strategy and story line and we compete with each other online or against each other at home. I hope to one day play games with grandkids.
If you are too old for video games thats like being too old for tv and movies.

I am 28 and I play them, Not as much as I used to but still do and I still call myself a gamer.

Saltedcaramel64 said:
I grew up playing video games on Atari and Nintendo. My parents never played and I only met one adult who played Nintendo back then.
Fast forward 30 years and I still play video games. Now I play them with my kids. Its a great way for us to have fun together and bond. We talk games and strategy and story line and we compete with each other online or against each other at home. I hope to one day play games with grandkids.
If you are too old for video games thats like being too old for tv and movies.
I used to play video games with my kids too, even in the early days. The boys, now adults, still play.

Reactions: Saltedcaramel64
For me it's less about my age and more about the fact that I have an extremely addictive personality. If I'm playing anything other than chess, then the best case scenario is that I get bored with the game very quickly. Otherwise my husband becomes a video game widower.

The last game I really got into was Endless Sky, which is the Escape Velocity update we all knew we needed. I've been thinking about One Hour, One Life, which someone demonstrated on Youtube and now I'm kinda interested in.

Reactions: ShyBoo81 and Saltedcaramel64
Back