💖🧸🍼Daddy’s precious little prince🍼🧸💖
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
  4. Little
  5. Other
Hi everyone, this may seem like a silly question but could I mix toddler formula with something to make it taste better and use it as an iron supplement? I tried google, but I only got answers for toddler iron deficiency. I know y’all aren’t doctors but I just wanted to throw the question your way before asking my actual doctor.

That would be a very expensive way to get extra iron ...

• Sad
Reactions: LilxFawn
Short answer: Yes

Longer answer: Why? As @KitsuneFox says, the cost of formula would be a lot more than taking iron pills.

• Sad
Reactions: LilxFawn
Go see your doctor, get a blood test done to check your ferritin levels and then take what he prescribes. The amount of iron in formula is not going to be any where near what you will probably need. By the way, taking iron has a tendency to make your poo black, so don't panic.

I only asked about this because I absolutely /hate/ pills. I feel dumb for even asking tbh.....I feel like I’m being treated like an idiot for asking a simple question... I didn’t say it would be cheap, I was just wondering if it would be a good once a month supplement if y’all can catch my drift... I don’t want to take iron pills because I’m scared of getting too much iron and well I hate pills, so I thought it might be a good way to get a little more iron in me without getting me sick. Guess I should’ve asked my doc, she wouldn’t‘ve treated me like I’m stupid 🙄🙄🙄. How do I delete a thread? I feel like I’m going to keep getting harassed 😒

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is harassing you, we are just stating the obvious. The range of hematocrit (iron) that a 12 month old toddler needs is 30 to 36% the maximum amount a 12 month gets from formula is 12% or less. An Adults hematocrit should be in the range of 35.5 and 44.9% for a woman and 38.3 to 48.6 for men. If you think you are iron deficient then you can make dietary changes. Calf liver is an excellent source of iron as well as Vit A,
Spring greens, cabbage, lettuce, (basically any green leafy veg that you can eat) will also help with iron intake

There are NO silly or stupid questions, this one included.

Since none of us know you, we can only answer based on what you say in your post. Knowing that you hate taking pills supplies some needed clarification to your question. Although I do not know anyone that hates taking pills, I do know several people that have trouble taking pills and would rather not.

The bottom line is that we are trying to provide you with answers and background information on why we feel that way. As PCBaby says, I don't think anyone is harassing you (I can assure you I was not and I apologize if my post sounded that way).

I'm not a doctor but I would think using formula once a month is pretty acute, you need a steady supply of minerals to maintain balance, eat veggies and beef, or drink a v8 (I love the stuff)

Beef doesn't supply a lot of iron better off with calfs liver and lots of leafy green, especially spinach, but if you do eat spinach, just wilt it in hot water for 3 or 4 minutes.
have a look at:- https://www.dailyiron.net/iron-inhibitors/
as some food stuff even high in iron can actually inhibit the amount of iron you can absorb. milk, coffee and tea are all listed.

Back