• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

To reverse a common question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Since when are you a bedwetter/incontinent? Last time I heard, you were happily wetting the bed on purpose to get diapers.
Funny you should mention that... I was thinking the exact same thing.

Role
Incontinent
If they had a pill that would eliminate the need of diapers for me I would take it. I can't imagine any side effects that could be much worse than the current condition.

Role
Diaper Lover, Other
No. I'm quite fascinated and I feel 'special' with my urinary IC. It'll never be something i'll be ashamed of, and it's not a public hassle. Even at my new job it doesn't come up. Fact is, the only person it'll matter to is the person who has to deal with it, and if he/she isn't bothered by it, then why take the magical pill?

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Incontinent, Carer
I'd say no. Its not that I enjoy my dribbles and occasional bed wets.
It makes life interesting. I hate being boring and vanilla.
Altho, I haven't had a massive soaked pants and set socks accident in months. I get a little bit of a dribble now and then. Occasionally a wet bed. (when I am REALLY stressed, or wear a particular par of PJs) If i still was having massive accidents yes.

D

daria7483

On the subject of side effects, and this is SOMEWHAT related to incontinence...awhile back I went to the doctor about always having to pee and the term "urge incontinence" came up, although I don't have accidents. Anyway, my doctor decided I have an overactive bladder and prescribed medication. One of the side effects of the med that I experienced was dry mouth. Horrible dry mouth that resulted in me constantly drinking water. What's the point in taking a med to make me not have to pee so much if I then have to put more water in my body as a result of a side effect, causing me to produce more urine? It aggravated what it intended to destroy. I quit taking the pills after 3 days.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
gotta love modern medicine... the side effects are worse than the problem the drug treats...

Chillhouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
LOL. That's actually a really smart point. I've heard of pills for bedwetters and such that actually worsen it sometimes if too much is taken...so maybe possible.
Take new InconPro! The ultimate pill that gets rid of all incontinence and bedwetting!

WARNING: Taking InconPro may cause sneazing, coughing, drowsiness, headaches, vomiting, hic-ups, explosive diarrhea, gynecomastia, an unusual urge to gamble, baldness, hirsutism, bleeding from the eyes, the meazles, HIV, depression, alien hand syndrome, and incontinence

mm3

Est. Contributor
Role
Carer, Other
I wouldn't/wont take any pill or nothing. I like being who I am, and all the different 'features' that make me who I am.

Being a bedwetter / occasional IC (not since 4 weeks ago, but still...), I like things that make me special.

CuddlyMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
The classic 'wonder cure' question, in it's many forms has sparked many debates. I was once asked, "If there was a no side effect 'cure' for aspergers if I would take it?" My answer was "hell no," follow up quession was the enavitable "why?" I just wrote down two words 'morphine clinique'

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Oh no... :coverears: not the dreaded "aspergers" again. :deadhorse:

There can be no cure for something that does not exist.

Aspergers is simply society trying to put a label on people who aren't 100% normal by their wierd sense of the word. Trying to cure a problem that doesn't really exist. :heiscrazy:

If you look at it that way... Ohmygosh! We've all got the horrible Infantilists Syndrome! We need drugs and psychiatric treatment immediately! :laughing:

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Aspergers is simply society trying to put a label on people who aren't 100% normal by their wierd sense of the word. Trying to cure a problem that doesn't really exist. :heiscrazy:
:
Aspergers is a real disease.
It is mild autism. It can grow more severe as time goes on.

CuddlyMonster

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Thank you drew, I apressiate the defence. Darkfinn thanks for the belittlement, but that's not the point. The point I was making was that:
A. this quession is as old as dirt.

B. wonder cures tend to be anything But.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Aspergers is a real disease.
It is mild autism. It can grow more severe as time goes on.
Aspergers is only a "real" disease b/c some know-it-all doctor somewhere decided to define it so he could make a buck... like ADD and half of these other "syndromes" that kids these days get slapped with. It's a way for the schools and medical system to get more money from parents by designating certain kids as special.

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's there was no such thing... if you were constantly acting out you got the paddle or the belt... if you were a bit shy... introverted... and geeky... you were a nerd. The vast majority of kids turned out to be fine productive members of society without any form of counciling or drug therapy. The medical community is making all of these special diagnoses so it can get money... that's all its about. There's nothing wrong with the kids... except maybe a lack of discipline and respect. There's more wrong with the parents.

So stop thinking of yourself as having some form of disability. It does nothing but bring you down and let you make excuses for yourself.

Corri

Est. Contributor
Role
Aspergers is only a "real" disease b/c some know-it-all doctor somewhere decided to define it so he could make a buck... like ADD and half of these other "syndromes" that kids these days get slapped with. It's a way for the schools and medical system to get more money from parents by designating certain kids as special
Not trying to defy your opinion, however...
Aspergers is a CHEMICAL as well as Physical defency of the brain that lessens the ability of the patient to function socially, regardless of therapy, and attempts to "socialize" the patient. This has nothing to do with the kid being geeky, sheltered or what ever.
ADD is a chemical imbalance that causes the brains attention centers to focus on everything, instead of one thing; or just the opposite, hyper focus on one thing, and impossibly cant focus on another. I do believe that ADD/ADHD is over diagnosed. However, both disorders are found on both the chemical and physical level.
Aspergers has been around since 1979..... just to let you know.
I am only 6 years younger then you, these disorders have been around much longer then us

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I'm a bit surprised you'd say that Darkfinn.

Asperger's is misdiagnosed just as often as ADD is, since there is very little evidence to support its existence, at least medically. I don't think there is any physical difference in either of them, and the chemical difference between autism and Asperger's is so minute that one could just classify it as the former and leave it at that. ADD is the same way.

I wouldn't go as far as to say it doesn't exist, but I think that many people who think they have it, don't.

Darkfinn: I know Drew said this, but I hope you don't think that just because it wasn't around while you were growing up, it's not there.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Aspergers is only a "real" disease b/c some know-it-all doctor somewhere decided to define it so he could make a buck... like ADD and half of these other "syndromes" that kids these days get slapped with. It's a way for the schools and medical system to get more money from parents by designating certain kids as special.

When I was growing up in the 80's and 90's there was no such thing... if you were constantly acting out you got the paddle or the belt... if you were a bit shy... introverted... and geeky... you were a nerd. The vast majority of kids turned out to be fine productive members of society without any form of counciling or drug therapy. The medical community is making all of these special diagnoses so it can get money... that's all its about. There's nothing wrong with the kids... except maybe a lack of discipline and respect. There's more wrong with the parents.

So stop thinking of yourself as having some form of disability. It does nothing but bring you down and let you make excuses for yourself.
No disrespect, Darkfinn, but you're only four years older than I. What 90s did you grow up in? Sure, some kids got spanked (including me). But no one I knew got 'the paddle or the belt.' True, being shy, introverted, or geeky doesn't signify emotional or genetic problems, but there's a difference between being shy and being unable to associate with people at all. Realistically, it's hard to determine whether this generation has turned out to be productive members of society--the eldest people born in the 80s are barely 28, but the youngest born in the 90s are only 9--that's a huge span of ages to make such a generalisation about. And when I was in elementary school, the overdiagnosis of ADD/ADHD etc was already beginning--I knew kids on ritalin and prozac at nine or ten. I agree that some things are overdiagnosed, and that very few, if any, children need psychotropic drugs.

There's nothing special about having Asperger's--from what I understand it can be a crippling affliction, if not as bad as autism. There is a world of difference between a serious illness and misbehaving children who aren't made to mind. FWIW, the DSM-IV recognises it as an autism-spectrum disorder: Wikipedia article. Sloppy to cite Wikipedia, I know, and I wouldn't do it in a term paper, but the article does cite a variety of peer-reviewed medical journals.

Finally, how can you paint an entire generation (which you essentially belong to) as lacking respect or discipline. Do you work with young children? I feel the same way myself sometimes--a lot of kids in the street seem to have no manners at all. But I think your explanation is reductive and simplistic.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Okay... lemme take this in parts.

First... perhaps the 80's/90's in Scotland was just a bit different from the 80's/90's in the southern USA. All of the kids I grew up with were physically punished by either the school system or their parents. We were paddled by the principal if we acted out in school up until the 5th grade... then we got it again from our parents when we got home. In 6th grade and beyond the schools switched to "detention" but you can rest assured that until the day I turned 13 my father would beat me with his belt anytime I screwed up.

As far as my "generation" goes. I only refer to people born in the 80's. Something about parenting changed when we hit that 1990 line... and believe me, you can tell. Using ADD/HD and "Aspergers" as a crutch for kids did definately start in the 90's... but it has grown exponentially in the past 10 years. I just find it strange that it's rising coincided with a sharp decline in parenting.

I have several friends who are parents... and I see young kids around all the time. The classic "kid throwing a tantrum" in wal-mart never ceases to amaze me. The parents either try to talk to, or simply ignore the kid. If I had acted out in public like that when I was young it would have meant a beating on the spot, then another one when I got home. Many parents these days love nothing more than to pawn the kids off on the school system during the day... and ignore them when they come home. You end up with a ungrateful, ill mannered, idiotic wild child. It's not all the kid's fault... they are born ignorant... and someone has to teach them right from wrong.

As far as Aspergers itself goes... if it is bad enough to where the child cannot physically interact with other people... needs special attention and classes in school... and has to be cared for 24/7 I'd call that autism. My cousin has autism... he is unable to socialize... is afraid of a lot of things... and is generally awkward. I doubt he will ever be able to function normally enough to get a decent job or live on his own. It's a tragic thing for sure. However other people who claim to have "Aspergers" seem to be doing well enough in the world. They may not have any friends and may think their home lives are torture... but guess what... it's all part of growing up. They don't need drugs... they need to wake up and realise that the real world is hard... and leaning on their "disability" isn't going to get them any special treatment outside of their school. Odds are it's going to make it even harder for them to get jobs when they graduate.

My explanation may be "reductive and simplistic" as you put it... and I am certainly not trying to tar everyone with the same brush. I realise that there are people in the world who legitimately need help. I just think that the vast majority of folks are taking advantage of the system... and it's going to bite them in the ass soon enough.

So... kids... grow up... get a job... and get on with your life. Please don't be the nerdy 20+ year old living in mommy's basement. There's a big world out here... and while it might be scary at first... you'll come to the realization that you can make it just fine on your own.

Mingus

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Okay... lemme take this in parts.

First... perhaps the 80's/90's in Scotland was just a bit different from the 80's/90's in the southern USA. All of the kids I grew up with were physically punished by either the school system or their parents. We were paddled by the principal if we acted out in school up until the 5th grade... then we got it again from our parents when we got home. In 6th grade and beyond the schools switched to "detention" but you can rest assured that until the day I turned 13 my father would beat me with his belt anytime I screwed up.

As far as my "generation" goes. I only refer to people born in the 80's. Something about parenting changed when we hit that 1990 line... and believe me, you can tell. Using ADD/HD and "Aspergers" as a crutch for kids did definately start in the 90's... but it has grown exponentially in the past 10 years. I just find it strange that it's rising coincided with a sharp decline in parenting.

I have several friends who are parents... and I see young kids around all the time. The classic "kid throwing a tantrum" in wal-mart never ceases to amaze me. The parents either try to talk to, or simply ignore the kid. If I had acted out in public like that when I was young it would have meant a beating on the spot, then another one when I got home. Many parents these days love nothing more than to pawn the kids off on the school system during the day... and ignore them when they come home. You end up with a ungrateful, ill mannered, idiotic wild child. It's not all the kid's fault... they are born ignorant... and someone has to teach them right from wrong.

As far as Aspergers itself goes... if it is bad enough to where the child cannot physically interact with other people... needs special attention and classes in school... and has to be cared for 24/7 I'd call that autism. My cousin has autism... he is unable to socialize... is afraid of a lot of things... and is generally awkward. I doubt he will ever be able to function normally enough to get a decent job or live on his own. It's a tragic thing for sure. However other people who claim to have "Aspergers" seem to be doing well enough in the world. They may not have any friends and may think their home lives are torture... but guess what... it's all part of growing up. They don't need drugs... they need to wake up and realise that the real world is hard... and leaning on their "disability" isn't going to get them any special treatment outside of their school. Odds are it's going to make it even harder for them to get jobs when they graduate.

My explanation may be "reductive and simplistic" as you put it... and I am certainly not trying to tar everyone with the same brush. I realise that there are people in the world who legitimately need help. I just think that the vast majority of folks are taking advantage of the system... and it's going to bite them in the ass soon enough.

So... kids... grow up... get a job... and get on with your life. Please don't be the nerdy 20+ year old living in mommy's basement. There's a big world out here... and while it might be scary at first... you'll come to the realization that you can make it just fine on your own.
I grew up in Virginia (dual citizenship, I go to university in Scotland), so not actually as far removed from your experience as you might think. Never got hit with a belt, though--my mother spanked me if anyone did. I'm pretty sure it was illegal for teachers to hit students in the US by the early 90s, at least in public schools, although I guess enforcement was pretty sparse. Especially true in the South, where it seems the attitude is 'Don't come home and tell me you got a beating at school, I'll just give you another one here.'

I definitely know what you mean in feeling like people take advantage of the system. You see lots of beggars on the street here, but there's a fairly extensive welfare system, and most of them aren't mentally ill or physically handicapped--they're just junkies. And I know what you mean about kids, too--the tantrum in Walmart (or anywhere else phenomenon) is irritating, but I hate more when parents are obviously just letting their kids do whatever they feel like.

So, sorry to sound somewhat accusatory before. I feel the sentiment, just wanted to suggest that for some Aspergers is a real problem (my grandfather probably has Aspergers--he's not full-on autistic, but he's always been better with machines than with people. Never been diagnosed, though). Be nice if people actually raised their kids instead of dragging them up...

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Be nice if people actually raised their kids instead of dragging them up...
I'm with you 100% on that.

Look at it this way too. Society wants to make everyone socially normal. That's not a good thing. If everyone was normal we'd have no more Beethovens... or Einsteins...

Normal people don't change the world... different people do. Sometimes it takes a recluse to make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.