To Powder Or Not To Powder

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
When going out in public do you use baby powder? It was bothering me a bit wondering what people would think if they happened to catch a whiff of the powder I used in my diaper and plastic pants. But then I was watching The Big Bang Theory and Amy said she couldn’t help being excited by Sheldon because he was wearing extra baby powder that day. I guess if it shows up in a sitcom it could be considered part of average everyday life. And then another case for powder was my wife. She used to use baby powder for feminine freshness which caused me some embarrassment when we were engaged and later when we were first married. It seems that my mind associated that baby powder smell with where my wife was applying it and I would find myself getting quite aroused when I would smell it. This could prove to be rather embarrassing when I found myself in the vicinity of babies being diapered. It did subside soon after we had our first baby and hasn’t reoccurred since. Unfortunately she was using the J&J talc baby powder and she ended up passing away over 3 years ago from cancer that may well have been caused by the asbestos in the talc. So back to the question at hand, do you ever get strange looks when someone catches a whiff of the baby powder you’re using?

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Diprs2 and Edgewater
First very sorry for your loss, good friend!
Nothing on the market today has talc, so that is not an issue!
FYI: most off brands has a different smell than J&J.
Yes, I use J&J everyday!

Reactions: PaddedRita, BlueCollarBoi, Zeke and 1 other person
So sorry for your loss! To answer your question… I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable. I’ve learned this first hand. No one is watching you. They’re too much in their own business. And who cares what strangers think! 💕

• Love
Reactions: Edgewater, BlueCollarBoi, PaddedRita and 1 other person
Thank you both, Edgewater and DBabygirl2, for you condolences, but it’s not as bad as it could’ve been. My wife sought and received a divorce in the Fall of ‘91 and it was granted in the Spring ‘93. Neither of us remarried or went out with anyone right up until she passed away in October of 2018. I hadn’t realized that it had been that long since she passed until I looked at her obituary again. After 25 years the bitterness that surfaces when going through a divorce had subsided and we were beginning to talk again so her passing was sad, but probably not as bad as if we had still been together when this happened. The kids are telling me that they think that I should find someone now that mom is gone, but that was a year and a half ago when they told me that and I still haven’t started looking. I’m over 2/3rds of a century old, been living by myself since Fall ‘91 (if you don’t count the dogs and cats over the years) and I’m not sure that I can find a woman willing to put up with me (especially if I don’t look!). I’m afraid that I may be just a little set in my ways.😳

Last edited:
DBabygirl2 said:
So sorry for your loss! To answer your question… I think you should do what makes you feel comfortable. I’ve learned this first hand. No one is watching you. They’re too much in their own business. And who cares what strangers think! 💕
Watching is one thing, but smelling is a whole different animal. I try to make sure no one smells my wet and/or dirty diapers, but the smell of baby powder may draw unwanted attention. It doesn’t bother that much what people think, but I try to fly below their radar as much as is practical.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edgewater and Diprs2
You're a young 66, try being 75! Hey, 90+% of the fun is the looking! Being a pain in the but, old guy and knowing it gets you honest fast! It is always worth looking around. After all, there is just so much crap on TV that it has merit in getting out and about!

Hey, you are not suppose to dump it on! Just enough to keep the boys comfortable. FYI: if someone is really close enough to smell the load, I would rather they smell the J&J. But that is just me!!

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, PaddedRita, Diprs2 and 1 other person
I was like that one time until I found out they thought it was just my perfume or my deodorant on hot humid sticky day ! Even had one gal ask me where I got perfume from ! I would worry to much about it because smell will subside in a few hours.....

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Zeke, Edgewater and 1 other person
Edgewater said:
You're a young 66, try being 75! Hey, 90+% of the fun is the looking! Being a pain in the but, old guy and knowing it gets you honest fast! It is always worth looking around. After all, there is just so much crap on TV that it has merit in getting out and about!

Hey, you are not suppose to dump it on! Just enough to keep the boys comfortable. FYI: if someone is really close enough to smell the load, I would rather they smell the J&J. But that is just me!!
“All things in moderation”, I had no idea that this applied to baby powder in my crotch as well as other things! It looks as though I’m going to have to change my daily activities a bit to allow more access to possible candidates for dating. Just typing “dating” made me feel a bit strange since it’s been well over four decades since the last time I was involved in this activity. One thing that marriage taught me is that if you want to remain married don’t stop dating your wife. Maybe I take the Wide Glide out this summer and survey what’s available in the mate market. Your right about there being nothing worth watching on TV. I’m finding myself watching shows from the ‘50s, ‘60s, and ’70s that I wasn’t that excited about the first time they aired simply because they don’t preach the woke ideology of their screenwriters quite as badly as they do with the crap on TV today.

• Love
Reactions: BlueCollarBoi and Edgewater
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have mixed feelings about using talc due to the safety concerns. Around the house I always use Sudocrem after changes but out and about I use powder as Sudocrem sticks to everything and gets everywhere so unless I have help it tends to go over all my clothes and go on the tapes.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Zeke and Edgewater
Some people use baby powder in their hair to keep it from being oily (usually if they skip a shower). My wife does that.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi and Zeke
I don’t care what someone thinks if they smell baby powder on me .
It keeps things much more comfortable down there regardless if I’m wearing or not.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Zeke and Edgewater
InconLifer said:
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have mixed feelings about using talc due to the safety concerns. Around the house I always use Sudocrem after changes but out and about I use powder as Sudocrem sticks to everything and gets everywhere so unless I have help it tends to go over all my clothes and go on the tapes.
What safety concerns?? Baby powder is only made from Cornstarch, nowadays! Talc is only available from the black market.
So, its safe to use Baby powder.. Pour it in and enjoy!!

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi and Zeke
I use Gold Bond powder. No detectable scent and it keeps me from chafing.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, stinkape, Zeke and 1 other person
I use a light sprinkling of powder over the entire inside of the diaper before I put it on.

Being in SoCal, it gets warm and it helps me feel fresh, mask odor, reduce rashes and reduce chaffing or pressure sores.

I use the lavender scented J&J powder. Nobody has commented, but I also wear cologne.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Diprs2, Zeke and 1 other person
I will use some if I get itchy, stingy and/ or a rash. It happens really infrequently now though as my skin seems to be used to constant contact with urine. I’ve never worried about the powder smell. Some guys use baby powder for jock itch, so “that guy is must be wearing a nappy” probably won’t be the first thing that goes through someone’s head if they smell it.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Diprs2, Zeke and 1 other person
I use the Rearz branded baby powder, as it contains bentonite clay rather than cornstarch, and cornstarch can easily lead to a yeast infection. Unfortunately though, it's unscented. But I still enjoy using it. Besides, My deodorant and body wash are powder scented anyway

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: PaddedRita, Diprs2 and Edgewater
I wear the Tena Slip Maxi Active Fit 24/7. I use Johnson's Baby Powder when I change into a dry nappy in the morning and at night. During the day I use Johnson baby lotion when I change because the powder goes everywhere!

Sorry for your loss. To the powdering. I'm in diapers 24/7 due to health problems. And when I need to change befor I put a fresh diaper on I all ways powder my self front and butt. I all ways use pamper baby fresh wipes. And J&J baby powder. Then I'll put some baby magic lotion on after words. It makes me smell like a baby. So I say I don't care what people think if they get a wiff. Thank you.

So sorry to hear about your lost Zeke !!

I wouldn't go a day with out any baby powder !
Have had a few girls ask what kind of perfume I was wearing !! LOL

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi, Pamperdiaperslover53, Zeke and 1 other person
I don't use anything at all. As well my daytime diapers (Attends Flex) as also my nighttime diaper (Tena Proskin) are cloth-backed, so my skin can "breathe" without problem. I've never had any kind of skin irritation yet, so I see absolutely no need to use any kind of cream or powder as long as this is the case.

Reactions: BlueCollarBoi
Back