Tips on fecal containment needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

InconScot

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
I've been having some issues recently with fecal containment. I'm quite active and sometimes don't have the opportunity to change immediately but I never leave it more than say a half hour. The longest maybe being an hour as I was driving. I find the bm is not contained by the leg gatherers and has leaked out onto my clothes. I use Tena slip Maxis and Id expert maxis and used to never have an issue except very rarely. Now it seems to be happening every other day. Have they maybe changed the designs?

What are BM's? Seriously though, if it is poop, then you should change quickly or you will get a rash.

How long are you in the brief for before a BM occurs? I ask this because after a few hours in the same diaper(messy or not) the elastics in my M4s start to break free from the standing leak guards, so this happens to me somewhat often. But I'm not sure how Tena slip Maxis and Id expert maxis hold up to constant movement and dampness.
If it's not the standing leak guards you're talking about then it might just be the plastic has bee stretched slightly since first applying the brief or your last few "movements" have just been more substantial than usual.
If this problem persists and you're afraid of getting caught and don't feel like delivering the "It's a medical issue" speech(I see your listed as IC), I would highly recommend picking up a pair of plastic pants or an equivalent type of diaper cover to keep any leakages, blowouts, or smelly smells a little better contained if you don't have one already.
Just a suggestion though, get a few. Wearing the same one over and over again will significantly reduce the life of the cover.
And sizing is everything, research and measure for appropriate fit around the thigh(most important fit on a cover).
You also said you are quite active, so I would recommend the GaryWear Active Brief covers, pretty comfortable, not really crinkly or loud, come in a few different colors, and the material is slightly less stuffy than just flat vinyl or pvc pants. They are a little on the pricey side though.

And if you don't feel like doing that, well.. might be time to switch up your choice of brief. Get something with better fit and more robust standing leak guards.

Well I hope this helps and you iron out this little issue you're having and the leakages are managed. Soiled pants and stains aren't fun >~<
If you have any further questions, feel free to message me and I'll try to get to answering them as soon as possible.

If your willing to try something different try Wellness Superio. They seen the best at keeping messes in. I have tried Dry 24/7, Abena M4, Molicare Super+, Tena Slip Maxi, Seni Quattro, and Northshore Supreme. The Wellness were the best at keeping in messes.

InconScott,

If you are fecal incontinent, never, never go out of the house without wearing plastic pants! I prefer Gary Activewear PUL briefs available from many vendors.

You should not be having leaks almost every day. That suggests that the fit is seriously wrong for your anatomy or your taping needs to change. With fecal incontinence you want those internal standing leak guards to make contact with your skin. That calls for a snug, but not tight, fit.

Before you put on the diaper fold it lengthwise with a soft fold (not a hard crease). This will create a small depression that will help keep stool away from the leak guards.

Please note that once you have experienced a bowel accident, sitting down will push stool against the leak guards. If you have to sit down, do so very slowly.

For those of us who are bowel incontinent our world has changed and some new rules apply. You must make the time to change after a bowel accident. One reason is to avoid accidents. The other is to avoid leaks.

--John
(double incontinent; wearing diapers 24/7)

Dude for fecal containment rubber or plastic pants over your diaper is a must have item.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Angelic said:
What are BM's? Seriously though, if it is poop, then you should change quickly or you will get a rash.

It stands for "bowel movement" and refers to both the act of defication and the result. It should really only refer to the act but it's nice to have a more neutral way of describing it.

Hmmm, I would probably second the plastic pants suggestion. I, personally, haven't been using them as much as I used to. My Abena L4s tend to do the job pretty well in that regard, but due to my spinal problems I'm not nearly as active as I used to be either.

wellness diaper work great, or like me i use Tranquility TopLiner Contour Adult Diaper Booster Pads inside my cloth diaper that has fitted leg cuff and velcro closures, topping them off with plastic pants. this make cleanup a lot easier as well as keeping the cost down. lifelong fecal and urine incontinent.

While my main go-to diaper is the ConfiDry 24/7, I have had great success with the Unique Wellness Superio Signature diaper. It has what appear to be the tallest and firmest internal standing leak guards in the business. For anyone who is bowel incontinent, that is a very important characteristic in choosing a diaper. I probably have pooped over 30 times in a Wellness diaper and only had one leak (but I was wearing plastic pants).

--John

I am bowel incontinent as an older cerebral palsy adult.
Yes, never sit in a poopy diaper very long.
the enzymes in poop will cause a nasty spell of diaper dermatitis.

Thanks to everybody for all the help and advice. I wish I could bring myself to wear plastic pants but I tried them before and hated them. Although I do appreciate they would semi solve my problem. Unfortunately most of the nappy choices are not available here in the Uk and I doubt the NHS would help me get them. They dont supply me enough as it is. I tried a fews sample of lille supreme fit this week and they seem to work better for me. Time will tell I guess

You tried Plastic what about rubber or Polyurethane?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I would recommend waterproof pants of some sort. I wasn't into them when I was continent, but as an incontinent person they have been very helpful in all ways.

Incidentally I don't know what diapers I would recommend for incontinence but I would recommend strongly against Molicare Super Plus. Molicares in my size are extremely snug over my butt, which increases the chance of press-out.

PUL is short for polyurethane. It's not like classic plastic pants at all. It's quite soft and ultra quiet.

I wear cloth and disposables with plastic pants and so far never had a problem .I used snap plastic pants
when I was in a rehab hospital for 8 weeks.

InConScott, I'm not sure you realize that PUL "plastic pants" are "polyurethane laminate" and are not the same as vinyl pants. They are breathable. They have a thin permeable (breathable) membrane laminated on a fabric and so are quite soft and silent. The breathability also helps to reduce the occurrence of diaper rash. They also last longer than most traditional plastic pants.

--John
(double incontinent and wearing 24/7; cloth at night)

"Renew Inserts"... a special plug for your bottom to reduce the likelihood of accidental bowel leakage. Helps you keep in control so you can sh@t when you need ordinarily

If you know you won't be able to change right away and this is a frequent thing, you may want to get some tablets like nullo or another oral deodorant, you also may want to wear incontinence pants over your diaper, you want a diaper with alot of room in the seat. You will want to put on a barrier cream completely covering the areas covered by the diaper especially your rump and crack. Unless Absolutely necessary you don't want to sit and if you must before you can change... make it as short as humanly possible... you should not spend more then 20 minutes in a messed diaper, 30 at max it isn't doing your butt any favors, or your nose. When you do change... wipe the area thoroughly clean, reapply the barrier cream, add some powder and make sure your taped up good... also make sure your vinyl pants are covering the whole diaper and dry when reapplying.

First, a disclaimer. I am not incontinent, in either way.
I do however, occasionally "fully use" my diaper, and have suffered leaks as well.
I haven't tried this personally, but I've heard of people wearing regular briefs under their diapers before, just to contain such leaks. Obviously this leads to the problem of cleaning them though. So if you don't mind some messy soaking and hand washing, it could work. Or, if cost isn't an issue, purchase cheaper generic briefs that you don't mind throwing away afterwards.

If anyone has tried this before, please comment, as I'm interested to know the effectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back