Threaded Armor full review.

Belarin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Warning very long three part review ahead 1st post contains the summary...

Threaded Armor protective briefs
Review

This review will be split into three parts to make it easier to organise the information and find what you need.
  1. Description of the product, company review and a summary of findings.
  2. Controlled testing, showing effectiveness of the inserts under ideal conditions.
  3. Real world usage, showing effectiveness overall in every day life.

Part One
Description

Here is the link to the Threaded Armor website, the company also produce Super Undies which are the childrens and teens equivalent. The super undies site currently has Threaded Armor adult products but apparently from January they will be removing that from the page so that the adult stuff is only listed on the Threaded Armor website.

I will include images as best I can but to kick things off here is the video Laura Woj at Threaded Armor made to introduce their Protective Briefs.

This is their flagship product for adults though they also offer:
  • A snap on version which is basically the same but with snaps on each side at the front, the waist is stretchy and could be pulled on and off with the snaps functioning as an easy access option.
  • The Lounge briefs which are the same but with the waistband elastic encased in leece to match the legs for comfort.
  • The Basic briefs/training pants, these differ slightly in that they do have 2 layers of built in absorbency and are still compatible with the step up inserts if more is needed.
They are available in 6 sizes from small to 3XL for waist sizes from 25" to 60" and they have a pretty good chart system for finding the right size for you. I am unlucky enough to be exactly on the middle ground between the medium and large sizes so, worried that the medium may have been too tight on me I went with large. While they do fit and hold up well and I have no fear of them falling down under the wet weight I would like them a little bit tighter, this is the bane of being in between sizes though.

They also have a wide range of colour choices and a collection of fun and cute prints which changes over time as stocks of a print allow, if you enjoy that.

When you buy them each Protective brief comes with an insert set that consists of 1 Hero insert and 1 Step up insert.
  • They can currently be bought individually for $64 (£55, 60 Euro).
  • Super Undies used to do packs of 3 (which come with free exra soaker bombs) for $179 (£149, 168 Euro) but I don't know if this will carry over to the Threaded Armor website when they move.
  • In sets of 5 (which come with free extra soaker bombs) for $317 (£263, 298 Euro). With the packs you can choose colours or select masculine/feminine and let them choose for you,
  • You can also join a monthly subscription service where each month they send you a new brief (different colours each time). This also gets you early access to new prints. and a few other features.

They use their own insert system which comes as 3 different types.
  1. The larger Hero insert which has the snaps to connect it to the briefs, 3 layers of microfiber terry and a top layer of athletic mesh for wicking and dry feel, the mesh is only sewn to the terry layers along the sides not the ends allowing you to feed the step up booster or soaker bomb inside to keep it all together and prevent bunching/twisting and to prepare changes ahead of time so you are not messing around with multiple inserts when you need to.
  2. A smaller Step up Booster with 2 layers of microfiber and the same athletic mesh on one side, these are sewn all round and fit into the Hero insert, multiple Step ups can be used in one Hero to reach the absorbency level you need (up to about 4 comfortably).
  3. The Soaker Bomb is a small rectangle with 3 layers of microfiber, these can easily be placed inside the hero for more absorbency and are a little smaller then the shaped Step up booster.
The Step up boosters and Soaker Bombs can be placed in the Hero insert flat using their full length or folded in half and only placed in the front if you need more absorbency there, you can also use other boosters or maybe a small flat or prefold, folded up if they fit. The way these pieces all come together along with the different outer briefs make the whole system very customizable to suit an individual's needs.

Now for some pics.

Front: The large size briefs measure approx 52cm at the hips, and 34cm waist to crotch, the leg cuffs are surrounded in a nice soft fleece and the wide (4cm) boxer style waistband is quite comfortable, no irritation or marks left by it yet. Both the central blue and the white side wings are waterproof PUL.
20221228_155029.jpg 20221228_155057.jpg

Back: Has a larger coloured or patterned piece and same measurements.
20221228_155118.jpg

Inside: Front (left) showing the surrounding gussets and leak guards (turned in on these pictures to get it flatter). Back (right) has a larger gusset.
20221228_155201.jpg 20221228_155218.jpg

The gussets front and back go all the way to the waistband and hide the snaps on little ribbons, they are also made of PUL to keep any moisture trapped in where the inserts sit.

Additional.
(left) The insides of the side PUL wings are lined with fleece like the leg cuffs. (center) The boxer style waistband. (right) Inside the back gusset to show the snaps.
20221228_155243.jpg 20221228_155301.jpg 20221228_155325.jpg

Inserts will be shown in the testing section as there is a 10 file maximum.

Company
The staff at the company are usually pretty quick to answer any questions and are very polite and helpful with any questions. They have a reward point system to get discounts and a few ways to earn them besides purchases. Delivery was quite quick considering it was international and close to christmas (with postal strikes over here). They have a newsletter that goes out with regular discount codes.

Overall I was happy with the service, there were two issues I had after the briefs arrived but these were well resolved through emails.

• The first was that the box had the invoice on the outside with the full list of what I had purchased, prices, company name and my contact details.
    After speaking with their rep about this I learned that this is due to the oversea's shipping system, nationally that invoice is not needed so can be delivered more discreetly, but to ship internationally it has to be there, when they send it out they put it face down with nothing visible but as it goes through customs the operators there may not have the same concern for discretion when replacing it.
    They offered me an apology and a decent discount on the next purchase and listened to my suggestions to add a note to this effect on the international delivery info on the FAQ's page. I can understand this not being their fault but a lack of courtesy from couriers and customs officers.
  • The second point was that on one of the briefs one of the snaps on the ribbon broke off after the first use, now this is not a problem for me as I make my own stuff and have spare snaps and pliers, This is not a fault of their construction but something that can happen to plastic Kam snaps sometimes. They offered a return and replace (which would have been quite costly) but when I said I had fixed it myself offered another discount code as appology and said they would look into it to see if there is a way to improve the fastening.
I was satisfied by their responses enough that I would consider buying more and recommending them to others.

Summary
Overall I have been very impressed with these protective briefs, The construction quality is excellent and the design is well thought out. With a few layers of inserts you can definitely feel a little bulk between the legs but this is not too bad, they also cover well under trousers with no obvious bulges or bumps. If they do happen to peak out from a waistband it would not be immediately obvious what you are wearing as they look mostly like normal underwear, They are also very quiet with little to no audible rustle and are built with a quality that feels very durable and long lasting materials.

They are remarkably easy to change the inserts out, normally with a pull up you would need to remove trousers to take off and replace a pull up, with these you can simply pull them down, unsnap and remove the insert, put a new one in place, snap it in then pull them up and go. This is easiest to do sat on a chair or the toilet. If the briefs are wet inside because the insert was saturated it's easy to just wipe out before replacing. It takes a little getting used to getting them centered in the gussets this way but not much.

The briefs themselves can be used multiple times before needing to be washed as long as you change often enough that they don't wick onto the outside (can happen with not enough layers of inserts) when washing the outer briefs you can also use a fabric softener as there is no built in absorbency to worry about, this means you can throw them in with a regular clothing wash and do the inserts (which you can't use softener on) seperately, they dry very fast as do the inserts.

I have not tried and am not sure I would want to try messing in these as I can imagine they'd be a pain to clean out because of the gussets however I could also imagine them being very effective at keeping it contained due to that reason.

The athletic mesh on the inserts is excellent, normally in a diaper I would use microfleece as a staydry layer which I have found can get a little itchy after a longer time being wet, the athletic mesh does not have the same itchyness even after 8+ hours and does feel very good against the skin, enough so that I have bought some to replace my current liners with.

I would highly recommend these for people with mild to moderate incontinence for daytime wear, for heavier incontinence they should still be good if you can work out how many inserts you would need. For nocturnal enuresis I'm not so sure, they may work great for some people but not for others. For the AB's and DL's out there who don't expect a diaper to hold 6 gallons these are also very good, lots of color choice/prints, comfy and effective if you manage how much you release in one go or change sensibly. They would also make good training pants for "older littles" who can use the toilet but may need a little backup for accidents or for those who like the feel of a diaper but don't really use them much.

For those looking to try cloth instead of disposables they are also a good 1st step, being easy to change the smaller insert system is also faster and easier to wash and dry than other full cloth diapers. They also take up much less storage space as the briefs fold quite thin and the inserts are smaller than an average AIO/AI2 or adult flat/prefold.

I would like to see them offer Bamboo alternatives on the inserts especially after my first round of testing, as these are better at holding moisture when compressed.

They are also not exactly a cheap option but you do pay for high quality and with even the tiniest bit of skill and access to a sewing machine (or better yet a serger/overlocker) you can easily and cheaply make your own inserts, (I made 4 for £70, $84, using a more expensive bamboo terry and with fabric left over which works out about 2/3 their sales price).

At the end of the day the main questions are:

1. Would I buy them again?
    Yes I would but only if they open a store here or find a UK retailer. £58 for shipping plus a £60 import fee was more than half the product cost.
  2. Would I recommend them to others?
    Yes, maybe not to everyone (if you are looking for a super soaker 9000 they are not for you) but for a lot of people they would be a good investment. The money you spend on them up front may be saved over time with not buying disposables.
  3. Do they do the intended job?
    Yes, they are aimed at inconinent users who need a reliable product and are sensible about managing their changes and don't plan to spend all day in the same diaper until they might as well go swimming. But they would still be a good product for a DL or AB who just wants something they can use sensibly.
  4. Are they good for bedwetters?
    Probably not, the company claims they are good for it but from my experience they are best suited to active day wear.
  5. Will they work for you?
    That depends on your individual needs and wants, hopefully this review will help answer that but they are very customizable for each user and have something to offer for a lot of people.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: alpacad, Throwawaw11, WillFord384 and 3 others
Part 2
Testing
Lets begin with some images of the Insert sytem they use.

(left) The larger Hero insert measures approx 61cm long and has 4 snaps on one side to attach it and a stay dry athletic mesh on the other, the smaller Step up is a little shorter and thinner. (right) The Hero's back end is about 30cm wide and the front (not pictured) is about 18cm.

20221228_155453.jpg 20221228_155531.jpg

(left) A Step up going into the Hero insert. (right) A close up of the athletic mesh layer.

20221228_155601.jpg 20221228_155628.jpg

(left) Three hero inserts stacked flat, 3cm high. (right) One Hero insert folded in thirds lengthwise was about 2cm high.
20221228_155913.jpg 20221228_155959.jpg
There would be little point in comparing the thickness when wet as other disposable reviews have since cloth does not really expand when wet in the same way a disposable does the Step up inserts are slightly thinner (by mm's) as there is one less layer of terry in them.

The Tests
I will be carrying out 3 different tests on the inserts to determine their absorption speed, max capacity and compression capacity.
All three tests will be carried out on the inserts individually and they have all been through a full wash cycle and dried completely. They will be laid flat in a deep tray to add water from an accurate measuring jug using these guidelines.
  1. Absorption speed: Using a wide tube (3 inch opening either end) held in place on top of the insert in about the center lightly enough not to prohibit wicking but enough not to spill out, 300ml of water will be poured inside in one go. I will record the time it takes for all the water to be drained from the tube and absorbed into the insert.
  2. Max Capacity: With the insert flat in the tray I will slowly pour water onto it 100 ml at a time until the surface is visibly saturated and no longer absorbing. The insert will then hung up with the smaller front end downwards in the measuring jug and left to drain. When it is no longer dripping any water that was left in the tray will also be added to the measuring jug and this figure deducted from the original amount poured to determine how much is still in the insert.
  3. Compression test: Using the maximum amount from the second test I will round up to the nearest hundred and slowly pour that onto the flat insert to cover the whole surface. The insert will then be folded in half and the tray lifted to an angle that it may drain towards one end. Even pressure will then be applied across the insert to squeeze out the water, this water will be collected back into the measuring jug and deducted from the initial poured amount to determine how much an insert may hold after pressure is applied (i.e. being sat on).
    Once this is recorded the insert will be picked up and wrung out with stronger pressure until no more water is released through squeezing and twisting, again this will be deducted from the original amount to give a rough minimum amount they should hold.
I will also carry out these tests on a set of inserts made to the same dimensions and number of layers that I have made using bamboo terry and athletic mesh rather than the microfiber that the Threaded Amor uses.

Of course these results are under lab conditions where the inserts are not contained inside the waterproof briefs, In real life if the inserts reach their max capacity and you apply pressure the liquid is hopefully contained within the waterproof briefs and able to move around so that after the pressure is removed that liquid could be reabsorbed by the inserts. Also the pressure is likely only applied to a small area not evenly across the whole insert at once, therefore in real use you would hope that the max figure is a reliable guide.

However while the pressure is there and the liquid is not held and moving around that is a higher chance it will escape the containment and leak out so it would be better to take the middle or lower measurement for reliability.
Also they would not be laying completely flat while absorbing or hung vertically while worn for gravity to draw the liquid to one end, this means depending on the position of the wearer and activity level liquid may be dispersed more evenly acorss the surface and able to hold a little better.

Results
The results of these tests were as follows.
Insert TypeTest TypeAmount PouredMicrofiberAmount PouredBambooDifference
HeroSpeed300ml1:29300ml0:460:43
Max Capacity700ml465800ml49025
Compression500ml440500ml48545
Wring340460120
Step upSpeed300ml1:22300ml0:490:33
Max Capacity400ml270500ml28010
Compression300ml240300ml27030
Wring21026555

Conclusions
This is only a first round, I intend doing this again a couple more times to get more of an average view once I have used and washed the bamboo more to even it out. But from this we can see and estimate a few things.

The first thing I noticed, the speed test REALLY surprised me, from everything I've read microfiber is supposed to be one of the fastest absorbing fabrics but on both inserts it took almost twice as long as my bamboo inserts. This may be because the bamboo is unused and has only been through one wash and dry cycle while the microfiber has been used had a few washes all month, but washing is supposed to make them work faster and hold more over fresh fabrics.

It could also be the particular microfiber that Threaded Armor uses making that difference in time, I would have to buy some microfiber terry and make some more inserts to test that out. It may even be due to an uneven amount of pressure used to hold the tube in place which can easily be fixed by using a measured weight to hold it in place.

Threaded Armor's Microfiber.
The company states on the product page that a large protective brief with 1 Hero and 1 Step up should hold 710ml. My results here seem to be perfectly in line with that claim.
The combination of 1 Hero and 1 Step up inserts (5 layers) should hold a max of around 735ml or 680ml under pressure and 550ml minimum.
The combination of 1 Hero and 2 Step up inserts (7 layers) should hold a max of around 10005ml or 920ml under pressure and 760ml minimum.
The combination of 1 Hero and 3 Step up inserts (9 layers) should hold a max of around 1275ml or 1160ml under pressure and 970ml minimum.

My Alternative Bamboo.
From research and previous experience I would expect bamboo to hold more overall but be slower to soak.
The combination of 1 Hero and 1 Step up inserts (5 layers) should hold a max of around 770ml or 755ml under pressure and 725ml minimum.
The combination of 1 Hero and 2 Step up inserts (7 layers) should hold a max of around 1050ml or 1025ml under pressure and 990ml minimum.
The combination of 1 Hero and 3 Step up inserts (9 layers) should hold a max of around 1330ml or 1295ml under pressure and 1255ml minimum.

Here we see that Bamboo by layer holds around 40-60ml more at max, 75-135ml more with pressure and 175-285ml more with heavy pressure.

The difference between the two fibers for 1 Hero and 1 Step up inserts shows us that:
Microfiber can lose 185ml from its max.
Bamboo can lose 45ml from its max.
And with 3 Step ups:
Microfiber can lose 305ml from its max.
Bamboo can lose 75ml from its max.
This is a 121% difference making bamboo 21% better under heavy pressure than microfiber, that's Almost 4 times more effective at retaining liquid.

We can also see that for both fibers it only takes two step ups inside a Hero to reach a 1 litre maximum capacity but even with 3 step ups microfiber has trouble holding a litre under heavy pressure.

Extensions
As stated I will return to these tests in the future once the bamboo has seen more use and washes.
I would also be curious to test the inserts as they are intended, one inside the other rather than separately maybe even testing each with multiple step ups. I wonder if having them like this would help with compression since as it is pressed out from one part there is more fabric there to soak it back up before it runs off.
It may be worth getting some microfiber terry to make some inserts to compare with Threaded Armor's just in case it is their fabric that is causing the speed drop.
I will also be making some Zorb boosters and once they have had a few washes it will be interesting to see how they compare, especially if tested inside the Hero as stated above. Maybe even making a Hero insert that sandwiches Zorb between Terry cloth.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: WillFord384, Woncrinklz, Kittyinpink and 2 others
Part 3
Real World Usage

To set the stage I have been using cloth diapers for quite a while now and I'm used to the feelings and can guage how wet they are, I've also taken some time to measure how much I pee at a time and how many times in a day. I can generally tell quite well when they are reaching a point where they will not hold any more.

I am not incontinent so my bladder tends to hold on until I have a pretty big wee stored before I really NEED to go this usually comes first thing in the morning about 7:00 and around about 2:00PM at work and 9:00 at night. Once I let that out I will be feeling the need to go much more often with smaller amounts for a few hours, if I continue to hold it these little urges they fade until much later, hence my morning wee at 7:00 ish triggers 2-3 hours of small feelings then nothing until 2:00 which again gives 2-3 hours of small urges until 9:00 ish. You can almost set your watch by my big needs to wee.

Anyway, onwards... I ordered a three pair set of the protective briefs as well as 3 extra insert sets in large size.

Early Experiments and Observations.
They arrived on the 28th Nov. After an initial wash and dry (the inserts do dry very fast) I tried them at home for a few days to get a feel for them.
I already own several 4 layer microfiber inserts which I know are quite good, these are about 2 inches too wide for the Hero insert so they curl up along the sides at the thinner section but it's not too bad and that curling makes them feel a little bulkier which I like.

So I have been preparing the inserts using one Hero, next inside that is one of my large 4 layer inserts and then a Step up inside on top. They are very comfy to wear and there is a definite feeling of being padded which is nice.

I learned quite quickly that letting one of my big wees out into the Protective briefs does not work too well, it is too much too fast, I can control it and let it out in smaller spurts but that takes concentration and time and I would rather just go when I need without thought.

Having now done some tests I wonder if it would work better with the bamboo inserts I made since they seem to be faster for some unexplainable reason, but I can also see that wetting like this is putting out more wee than that amount of padding can actually handle (easily 700-900ml in one go).
I discovered that if I "break the seal" and let that larger wee out in the toilet or a diaper more capable of taking it and then just keep letting the smaller wees out every 20-30 minutes they do the job very well indeed.

I also learned that if I am moving around the house or sat in a chair I could allow these smaller wees to just keep coming for several hours before the inserts were wet enough that I need a change, which is what I would like to achieve, regular small wees throughout the day and night just emptying the bladder as soon as there is some ready.

but the downside... when I am laid in bed they have leaked almost every time.
Now this is likely due to not using enough absorbent layers and me weeing too much (as I have learned from the tests), or perhaps becuse I am laying on my side when I wee so it runs off to the side rather than staying in the middle section, they do seem to work better if I am laid down on my back watching a video.

Because of this I do feel that these are not the best choice for those with heavier overnight incontinence. They could be fine for it under the right circumstances (small frequent amounts or non side sleepers) but for me I wouldn't trust them to keep my bed dry.

All Day Use.
Taking what I'd found that first week, from the 5th dec I began wearing every day.

Using the insert setup above I would wake in the morning and empty my bladder when ready to get up (either in a night diaper if I had one on or the toilet if not) and at about 7:00 -7:20 AM I would put on one of these before leaving for work making sure I had a second set of inserts already prepped in a wet bag ready to go.

I should also mention I walk to work and back which is about a 20 minute power walk, and I try to drink about 700-800ml of water by 12:00 and 700-900ml in the afternoon before I finish work at 6:00 PM.

For the first week I would use the toilet again for a wee around 9:00 to make sure I wasn't going to flood. So from 9:00 I would proceed to wet through the morning any time I felt a even a little need trying to let out smaller amounts at a time (maybe 100-200ml) with short times in between, I tended to make sure I was stood up for this as I knew that worked best.

I get an hour lunch break but it's not at a set time, I usually get out at 11:00 or 12:00 but sometimes it can be as late as 2:00. I decided I would change my inserts at the end of my lunch break as I always go over the road to the shop and then tend to sit outside so I can have a vape and some peace, thus my backpack is always with me at the end of lunch therefore no one will question me coming back into the building and going in or out of the toilet with my bag. ;)

Doing this the earliest I would change is 12:00 and the latest would be 3:00.
This went really well the briefs held everything I gave them with no leaks, no discomfort from being wet for hours even on the times where I was already quite wet and worried that if I let more out it would leak, They held. They held well enough that after a week I noticed that my morning inserts were actually still quite dry (not like dry to the touch, they were wet but it was clear they could have held more).

So from the 12th I stopped using the toilet at work before 9:00 and just trusted the briefs would hold up. which they did, on a couple of days where I had been very busy and not weed a lot in the morning I would go while sat outside on my lunch break and even sitting on a hard bench like that in a short time they held.

There were a couple of incidents on my walk home from work, where I would already be in a wet brief and decided to stop and wee some more on the journey (it's dark at this time of year and the route I take is generally empty of other people so leaks wouldn't be seen) and I knew I let out way more than the inserts would hold. This was my fault for pushing limits, but even those leaks were not too bad and didn't leave much more than a 2 inch wet spot on my trousers. The outside of the briefs were wet though and if I'd sat down there would probably be a puddle.

I have continued this routine every week day through december up until the 25th where I was visiting family (unpadded) and have since been busy running tests on the inserts and making more of my own. Some days I would get home after work in a wet brief and stay in it till maybe 8:00 wetting slightly more other days I'd take it off right away. On the weekends I continued wearing two insert setups a day (one change) but for longer times and with more experimenting on how much I can go and also with wetting in bed (sometimes leading to leakiness).

Regular Use Observations
Some things I have learned over this period besides things already mentioned are.
The outer briefs themselves can definitely be used a few times if only wetting, I found that when changing the inserts if I wiped out inside with one of my reusable wet wipes (which I soak in a scented, soapy water with coconut oil) and same again when I got home and took them off, then turned them inside out to air overnight there would be little to no smell left in the morning. So I could get away with using the same briefs for 2 maybe even 3 days, I think 3 would be a max though before washing.

I did find that while the snaps hold the Hero in place front and back perfectly and the Hero keeps other inserts from bunching up and moving around, if I had been especially active or running around a lot the middle ot the insert set right in the middle where my nuts are could turn a little. I don't think it would be enough to affect absorbency as it was all still in the gusets, but is was enough to be a little uncomfortable and needed adjusting (a simple trip to the toilet to put them back, flat, in place).

You can very quickly get used to changing out inserts without removing any clothing, just pull em down, sit down (for me it's on the toilet at work) unsnap, wipe, snap a new one in, position it and pull em up. But for those with limited dexterity this might not be so easy as it does take a bit of practice getting them in the right place in the front and back while they are on and getting the snaps in.

While nobody seems to have noticed (they've not said anything and I've not noticed any funny looks) I do feel quite self conscious wearing them and keep feeling the back to see if it's bumpy. This is probably because I don't normally wear to work and it's just a new scenario to get used to. Otherwise they do seem very discreet.

Getting the number of layers for inserts right is going to take experimenting for each individual but there is plenty of room for them.
The fleecy leg cuffs are lovely and soft but are quite possibly the biggest cause of wicking, if they slide up high on the thigh to where they reach the elastic of the inner leg guards they can pull moisture out and pass it on the the outer layer of the PUL and then possibly onto clothing if you're wet enough. It can generally be felt before it's a problem and the fleece begins to feel wet if you are paying atention to it, this may also be fixable by treating the fleece with some fabric waterproofing (like fabseal here in the UK which is used to re-proof tents) but I don't know how this would affect the softness of them.

They work best when standing up, you can wet them sat or laying down but may need to pay more attention and control it a little.
Overall I do recommend these but they may take some trial and error before you find the right level of padding for you.

I do hope this review helps some of you who may be considering these or even just considering cloth in general, I know I have seen questions about them pop up in the past. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask here or in PM and I'll do my best to answer you.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: EcoIncon, diaperdude, WillFord384 and 4 others
I do have a question: Will a GMD Cloth-Ease prefold diaper work with these as an insert instead of having to use the micro-fiber ones that are provided? The extra-large GMD pre-fold diaper measures approximately 19" long and about 14" wide and is diaper-service safe. I seriously doubt that the inserts provided for the Threaded Amore product can survive a diaper service cycle, but my GMD prefolds have proven to be extremely rugged and reliable. It would be nice to find a cover that can work for them, because my current job is demanding the use of disposables rather than a GMD inserted in a standard brief. Thanks for the review.

Honeywell6180 said:
I do have a question: Will a GMD Cloth-Ease prefold diaper work with these as an insert instead of having to use the micro-fiber ones that are provided? The extra-large GMD pre-fold diaper measures approximately 19" long and about 14" wide and is diaper-service safe. I seriously doubt that the inserts provided for the Threaded Amore product can survive a diaper service cycle, but my GMD prefolds have proven to be extremely rugged and reliable. It would be nice to find a cover that can work for them, because my current job is demanding the use of disposables rather than a GMD inserted in a standard brief. Thanks for the review.
You'd probably have to fold it in half lengthwise, if you were using it inside a Hero insert the width in the thinest part is about 6 inches. On its own it would still need to be folded (the thinnest part of the briefs are maybe 7-8 inches wide).

a 19 inch length should fit though 19 inches is just over 48cm and the Step up is longer than that, the Hero insert is 61cm (24 inches), you wouldn't be able to snap them in without the hero insert but if you are fine with it being loose. It wouldn't stretch from front to back but if that''s not a problem that's fine, you could also use more than one to get the full rise.

of course that's going by the measurements for a large size brief, a smaller one may fit it better. you'd probably be better off just finding a good wrap though or a cover designed for them if you didn't want to use the provided insert system.

Reactions: Blekyss and Honeywell6180
Holy moly, what a review. Excellent and comprehensive work. Hmm. Trying one of these was down my priority list a ways, but I think it just got a promotion. :) I’m enjoying the thought of making my own inserts as well.

@willnotwill, can this be considered for an article?

• Love
Reactions: Blekyss and Belarin
Well done!!! My goodness that took a lot of work. I read every bit of it. I really appreciate you doing this for us!!!

I’m building my stash of Threaded Armor (Super Undies) too.

I love the ”protective brief” snap-in insert feature. The “lounge brief” AIO with the built in pads seems weird to me. I would love these to have the four snaps as well so if you do want to add another insert you can do so and keep it secured. I’ll keep experimenting and reporting back what works.

I will try adding Kins (Babykins) inserts and prefolds as well. So I like that idea!

I will find a way to use them in bed sleeping on my side and have them not leak. There must be a way and I will find it. I did try wrapping the terry inserts around the sides as stuffers and that was okay, but I need more absorbency on the sides apparently. I will also try point down (I’m a male) like I have to do with disposables when I sleep. Likely that will work with increasing side absorbency with more stuffers.

Stay tuned for follow-up on these revolutionary products and my experimenting with them as an IC.

Reactions: EcoIncon and WillFord384
Great review! I have recently bought 2 pair of the threaded armor myself, one lounge brief and one protective brief. I really like the performance of both of them and enjoy wearing them as they are very comfortable. I don't wear them at work but at home and overnight I've been beyond satisfied with them.

Cottontail said:
Holy moly, what a review. Excellent and comprehensive work. Hmm. Trying one of these was down my priority list a ways, but I think it just got a promotion. :) I’m enjoying the thought of making my own inserts as well.

@willnotwill, can this be considered for an article?
Thanks, not sure it conforms to the rules for an article but maybe put it in the diaper review forum.

huggiesthick said:
Well done!!! My goodness that took a lot of work. I read every bit of it. I really appreciate you doing this for us!!!
thanks! yeah that was a bit of work (like just over 6 hours typing and formatting + prep time, testing...) it is quite a lot to read through thats why I tried to break it into parts.
huggiesthick said:
I’m building my stash of Threaded Armor (Super Undies) too.

I love the ”protective brief” snap-in insert feature. The “lounge brief” AIO with the built in pads seems weird to me. I would love these to have the four snaps as well so if you do want to add another insert you can do so and keep it secured. I’ll keep experimenting and reporting back what works.
Yeah I thought similar, I don't like the idea of the Basic briefs having built in absorbency, one of the Pros toward these are the fact the outer brief is seperate and just a cover so could even be used (to a point) over diposables. I would like to try the snap version though but delivery import duty to UK is crazy high.

huggiesthick said:
I will try adding Kins (Babykins) inserts and prefolds as well. So I like that idea!
They should work well enough, if they'll fit in the Hero, I've made a few straight rectangular bamboo inserts today with 4 layers that are a bit smaller than the 4 layer microfiber ones that I already had and a double layer Zorb 3d insert, drying now ready for testing too.

huggiesthick said:
I will find a way to use them in bed sleeping on my side and have them not leak. There must be a way and I will find it. I did try wrapping the terry inserts around the sides as stuffers and that was okay, but I need more absorbency on the sides apparently. I will also try point down (I’m a male) like I have to do with disposables when I sleep. Likely that will work with increasing side absorbency with more stuffers.
I've actually been considering this problem for a while (before I even bought the Threaded Armor). I have a basic theory on how to solve the problem with side sleepers leaking with disposable and thinner/less surrounding cloth diapers.

It is still just an idea I had and I would need to work out sizes and shaping but I think I can make something that should help but maybe not everyone who has issues leaking when on their side would want to use.

huggiesthick said:
Stay tuned for follow-up on these revolutionary products and my experimenting with them as an IC.
You say as an IC, May I ask what level of IC you have? I would be quite interested to hear experiences from people with varying degrees of IC who have used these for a bit to see what they think of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: WillFord384
Belarin said:
Thanks, not sure it conforms to the rules for an article but maybe put it in the diaper review forum.

thanks! yeah that was a bit of work (like just over 6 hours typing and formatting + prep time, testing...) it is quite a lot to read through thats why I tried to break it into parts.

Yeah I thought similar, I don't like the idea of the Basic briefs having built in absorbency, one of the Pros toward these are the fact the outer brief is seperate and just a cover so could even be used (to a point) over diposables. I would like to try the snap version though but delivery import duty to UK is crazy high.

They should work well enough, if they'll fit in the Hero, I've made a few straight rectangular bamboo inserts today with 4 layers that are a bit smaller than the 4 layer microfiber ones that I already had and a double layer Zorb 3d insert, drying now ready for testing too.

I've actually been considering this problem for a while (before I even bought the Threaded Armor). I have a basic theory on how to solve the problem with side sleepers leaking with disposable and thinner/less surrounding cloth diapers.

It is still just an idea I had and I would need to work out sizes and shaping but I think I can make something that should help but maybe not everyone who has issues leaking when on their side would want to use.

You say as an IC, May I ask what level of IC you have? I would be quite interested to hear experiences from people with varying degrees of IC who have used these for a bit to see what they think of them.
Quoting myself here…

DL since literally when I was a potty trainer. Mom would find me having stuffed my blanket in my underwear during potty training and just let me do it. That led to seeking out diapers and wearing them when alone. Then to puberty and admittedly finding sexual pleasure from them. Then adulthood with hiding it, binges, purges, then BPH finally caught up with me. Slight dribble at first, now more volume, more often and bedwetting. Wife actually encourages any and all diaper wearing now. She always accepted it (DL) since we spoke about it and agreed on acceptance prior to wedding.

So far no cancer! I work hard a staying in shape and keeping fit to stave cancer off as much as I can.”

Volume wise I’d say I leak 50 to 500ml while sleeping and probably only 200ml during the day on average. Every once in a while though it can be a lot more. During the day I use the restroom on a regular basis so I usually only have to contend with excessive dribbling after I void and everything relaxes or opens up.

Belarin said:
Yup! That's what I was referring to.

We need more cloth diaper reviews. This would be a good precedent. (A few tweaks to the prescribed review procedure are probably due as well. Aspects like laundry aren't addressed at all, and as you pointed out the swelling isn't really a thing with cloth.)

Cottontail said:
We need more cloth diaper reviews. This would be a good precedent. (A few tweaks to the prescribed review procedure are probably due as well. Aspects like laundry aren't addressed at all, and as you pointed out the swelling isn't really a thing with cloth.)
I would love to do more cloth diaper reviews, might do one for the Dotty Diaper Co. Cloth AI2's as I have a few of those, and I can do the Drylife Terry Flats (might be a bit harder to test a flat like this) I also have a contour from Changing Times some Baby Pants trainers and what I want to say was Leakmaster trainers but I could be wrong on that since no label and I've had them for years. I've had others in the past but that is the most recently bought available.

The trouble with it would be getting them. Cloth diapers are not cheap and shipping + import fees can get expensive. I'd love to do it thoughas I am a strong proponent for cloth and reusable products.

Might even see about writing an article for how to care for them, wash properly, strip them, what to look for, sttyles, materials etc. I know there are specific guidelines for the articles forum but it's been empty for so long, there needs to be something in there and it may help cut down on some of the regularly repeated posts.

You're right the review procedures for cloth would need to be a little different but not by much.

Reactions: Blekyss and Cottontail
Belarin said:
I would love to do more cloth diaper reviews, might do one for the Dotty Diaper Co. Cloth AI2's as I have a few of those, and I can do the Drylife Terry Flats (might be a bit harder to test a flat like this) I also have a contour from Changing Times some Baby Pants trainers and what I want to say was Leakmaster trainers but I could be wrong on that since no label and I've had them for years. I've had others in the past but that is the most recently bought available.

The trouble with it would be getting them. Cloth diapers are not cheap and shipping + import fees can get expensive. I'd love to do it thoughas I am a strong proponent for cloth and reusable products.

Might even see about writing an article for how to care for them, wash properly, strip them, what to look for, sttyles, materials etc. I know there are specific guidelines for the articles forum but it's been empty for so long, there needs to be something in there and it may help cut down on some of the regularly repeated posts.

You're right the review procedures for cloth would need to be a little different but not by much.
I have the Cuddlz 60” flat and they’re nice and soft

Encouraged by this review, I finally went ahead and ordered one of these. It arrived yesterday, a few days ahead of schedule. I haven't had much time to spend with it, but it's been washed a few times and used once. I have to say, these are really comfortable. The fit is nice and secure, the fleece leg cuffs are soft and feel great, and the supplied padding is enough to remind you that Mommy doesn't trust you and makes you wear training pants--er...uh, I mean "Protective Briefs," heh. Really, this thing ticks all the right boxes for washable training pants except for one: The appearance. The available prints are few, and not especially kiddish. No surprise there though, as they're meant to be a serious product for managing incontinence. (I got the blue polka dot print, which I deemed to be the most "little" of what was in stock in my size.)

Anyway, more later. I'm usually only diapered during my workweek, but when curious new diapers arrive I often can't wait.

Last edited:
They so have only a few prints at a time it seems, though the polka dots seem to be a standard the rest seem to be released as a limited run, I have seen comic stuff, construction vehicles, boats, animals, and others but it seems they buy an amount of printed fabric make what they can and then get different prints next time. this is where the subscribe feature gets it's worth in that you can pre access these before their main release.

The prints are also slightly hidden away (not exactly hidden) under the "Playful Prints" page on the site Here. This address link for this funily enough has the ending page named as "abdl-cloth-diapers" so it would appear as though the company at least recognises the ABDL scene, whether they are supporting of it I don't know but this suggests they at least accept that ABDL people may be interested in their product and that's good to me.

I'm so glad to see such a thorough review of a Threaded Armor product. I'm surprised more people don't talk about them.

I own the lounge brief and a set of inserts, because I wanted a more environmentally freindly replacement for disposables. My first impressions are that while they're not a perfect replacement, I like them enough to keep using them, and I'm going to pick up a protective brief as well to compare. It's unclear from their website what the exact difference is. One thing which I learned after receiving the lounge brief is that it does *not* have the snaps for inserts, which is a bit unfortunate. It has a pocket for inserts and you can use the hero insert, but there are no snaps to keep it in place.

The medium size on me is also definitely not as tight as a disposable. Unfortunately, I'm right on the edge of small and medium (140lbs / 5'10"). I'm a male and the way they fit doesn't make me feel certain that a pee will be contained to the absorbency unless I make sure my penis is pointing down first. Maybe I should try a small.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I appreciate the scientific methodology and detailed report.

Snowfriend said:
I'm so glad to see such a thorough review of a Threaded Armor product. I'm surprised more people don't talk about them.

I own the lounge brief and a set of inserts, because I wanted a more environmentally freindly replacement for disposables. My first impressions are that while they're not a perfect replacement, I like them enough to keep using them, and I'm going to pick up a protective brief as well to compare. It's unclear from their website what the exact difference is. One thing which I learned after receiving the lounge brief is that it does *not* have the snaps for inserts, which is a bit unfortunate. It has a pocket for inserts and you can use the hero insert, but there are no snaps to keep it in place.

The medium size on me is also definitely not as tight as a disposable. Unfortunately, I'm right on the edge of small and medium (140lbs / 5'10"). I'm a male and the way they fit doesn't make me feel certain that a pee will be contained to the absorbency unless I make sure my penis is pointing down first. Maybe I should try a small.

Anyway, keep up the good work. I appreciate the scientific methodology and detailed report.
Thanks, there have been a few queries on them here in the past but not a lot. They are actually a pretty decent product just rather expensive though you get what you pay for here definitely.

There are basically 2 differences between the lounge and protective brief versions, one you already know (no snaps to hold the inserts in place) the other is basically just that the waistband elastic is cased in fleece like the leg elastics are, in theory making them more comfortable but I don't notice any bother from the elastic anyway so I prefer the protective.

I can give a Minor update here in that I have now been wearing these daily since before Christmas (will be getting close to 3 months soon).
They have been doing their job well I have not had any "unplanned" leaks (had a few in the beginning when I was really pushing to see how wet I could get them before leaking) and after so many washes and uses are actually holding up better when led in bed, still not sure if I'd fully trust them for overnight IC but a little more confident with them.

They seem to be lasting me a good 5-6 hours at work but I am cautious when I use them and they are definitely easier to change inserts than many designs. I have done a couple extra absorbency tests on their inserts and my own now they've been washed a few times and maybe next weekend will do another round of complete testing on all the inserts I use so I can get a good average and add the figures here.

Last edited:
Belarin said:
They so have only a few prints at a time it seems, though the polka dots seem to be a standard the rest seem to be released as a limited run, I have seen comic stuff, construction vehicles, boats, animals, and others but it seems they buy an amount of printed fabric make what they can and then get different prints next time. this is where the subscribe feature gets it's worth in that you can pre access these before their main release.

The prints are also slightly hidden away (not exactly hidden) under the "Playful Prints" page on the site Here. This address link for this funily enough has the ending page named as "abdl-cloth-diapers" so it would appear as though the company at least recognises the ABDL scene, whether they are supporting of it I don't know but this suggests they at least accept that ABDL people may be interested in their product and that's good to me.
Yes, Threaded Armor cloth diapers are available in fun playful prints for adults. I bought these about two months ago and love them. Super soft waist band and legs bands made of fleece over the elastic.

47B7C2EA-3B45-47DE-A80C-F9449ABE0C2B.jpeg

I like the chameleon undies more :p

Yeah, me too. I just got a promotional email from SU with this new print. I love it!!!
3C6D30D6-7075-41D6-8978-1F288B63B788.jpeg

Back