• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Thread closure -- where to draw the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Two situations:

One - A thread with ten different pages, wherein the posts gradually deteriorate from opinion, to disagreement, to argument, and then to downright insulting and flaming. Everybody's lost their direction; they're arguing for the sake of arguing, and they're not even doing that well enough. Feelings are getting hurt; people are being belittled.

Two - A thread with ten different pages, wherein the posts never really mean anything. They are a product of a rather "pointless" thread-beginning -- rhetoric, chuckle-worthy, humor that isn't quite on the level of being a game. The posts are rapid, equally mindless, but never degrade into insults, flame-wars, or arguments. There is simply no substance to the posts, except perhaps to those who take their few seconds to slap up a quick and hopefully humorous response.

Two threads. These are descriptions of several different threads I've seen lately, and the commonality is that both of these threads have seen eventual closure. In fact, I've seen that thread closure has become quite common lately. In many cases, the closure of a thread is extremely important, especially if it seems similar to my first description.

In a few situations, however, I've found that a thread -- similar to my second description -- gets closed as well. I sigh when I see this, and a little part of me wonder why. The posts within don't necessarily violate any of the defined rules of the board -- they are not disrespectful, are not full of fury, and are not even useless (because humor, even if some aren't amused, is still purpose). Yet, a closure still happens, and a thread is fossilized.

Why?

Perhaps I'm the only one who notices the trend, but I find lately that ADISC has been pumping a extreme amount of seriousness-gas into itself. Let me disclaim by saying that I'm not directly attempting to say, "zomg, ADISC IS NOT THE SAME AS IT WUZ WEN IT WAS ANOTHER NAME," because I'm still happy with the quality of this community.

I fear, however, that lately, it's striving for way too much quality. I see threads of back-and-forth banter being closed; I see people being reduced in their ability to express themselves, even if that form of expression is not directly constituent to logical responses or retorts. What I see is a censorship based off of what feels like the following:

1) A desire for the moderators to qualify what kind of threads belong even if they don't seem in direct violation of any rules;

2) A desire for moderators not to want to bumble through several pages of posts because they don't feel as though they have time;

3) A desire to illustrate a specific regiment of quality to the posts.

I emphasize "feel" because, not being a mod, I don't necessarily see all the decisions that are made in thread closures, but I have seen what appear to be fast, seemingly baseless decisions in doing so. I can only base my theories on conjecture, in that case.

What I fear, as a somewhat frequent contributor to the forum, is that this desire to constantly encourage quality may work unfavorably against the way the forum desires to operate. With a lack of threads that exists solely for humor, fun, or aimless horseplay, I fear that we come across as a community so serious, so intent on quality, that we don't know how to have a single lick of fun while doing it. That's not inviting to newcomers, I don't think -- in fact, it doesn't even seem like inviting to anyone who doesn't hold a teacup with their pinky-finger out. The recent updates of the rules, though I understand them, seem to reach just a little too far over the line of expression and begin delving into rules that bar members from expressing themselves.

A contributors, it's impossible for forum-members to be consistently 1) nice, 2) logical, or 3) purposeful. It is possible for them to always be respectful, but disagreements, differences in humor, and criticism are always going to be present and should, I imagine, always be invited. Otherwise, we lose a sense of community, individuality, and even cohesion.

In a nutshell: Is it me, or has it felt stifling and serious around here lately?

To strive for quality is one thing; to strive for quality and balance it out with constant seriousness seems counter-productive. I can think of some things that are very serious in life: heart attacks; plane-crashes; sucking, gaping wounds; gunshots to the stomach. None of those things are very good ... yet, there's been what feels like a censorship of non-combative threads and posts to keep things more serious. I see, likewise, members who strive on humor lashing back out with their own expressions. It doesn't make for a very good balance.

I post this in administrative stuff because, to me, it does seem like a fairly big issue on a level that could potentially limit the forum's function. Now I'm curious: Where does the line exist, between what's acceptable, and what's not? Is the line blurred only to me, or is it blurred to anyone else? It feels as though rule-definitions are, at times, being flexed beyond a level where contributors -- experienced and inexperienced, old or new -- are left to question whether or not they should even post.

What are your guys' feelings, members and mods alike?

Role
Diaper Lover
Wow, man, great, great thread!! I have really been noticing it alot too lately, and its REALLY frusterating!! Just because a mod thinks that the conversation isnt perfect, they decide to close it. An example that I can think of, is the 'Hospitalizationalized' by EpicPie. There were some VERY good arguements (mind you, very legitimate), that I wanted to get answers, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, its closed the next time i check on it. I may be out on a limb, but I feel that some mods are a little too power hungry.....

Point

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little
With a lack of threads that exists solely for humor, fun, or aimless horseplay, I fear that we come across as a community so serious, so intent on quality, that we don't know how to have a single lick of fun while doing it. That's not inviting to newcomers, I don't think -- in fact, it doesn't even seem like inviting to anyone who doesn't hold a teacup with their pinky-finger out.
Ahh, I think that analogy is pretty racist and uhh, doesn't anyone else think so? Can we please close this now?

Yes! Some people talk about it with me. "Why did this thread get closed?" "Lame. My Ring Ring thread got closed." Things like that. I'm posting more nowadays than I did when I came back from my summer departure because there are lots of things that are fun to post in. Well, okay, Shodai makes a good deal of these threads, but still, fun stuff. And then to find it closed the next day because two people started arguing, or it got "out of hand" when all that happened was people started saying stupid things is just a creativity-killer.

I also don't think that closing threads is the answer. After all, what's stopping them from making another thread the next day, or minute the old one gets closed?

Good thread Rance. I was considering posting it but figured I couldn't be the only one, and there are plenty more verbose people than me to explain. :thumbsup:

F

FullMetal

Well, I did not read the whole thing (because I am doing homework...'doing homework') but I think I got the gist. I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at a recently closed threads. I'm not trying to say that Mod action is not being enforced properly, but I think a better approach to certain threads can have a greater affect. I am not sure if I can define a line myself to what is appropriate for this forum and what is not, but I think that this is just a forum, and people put too much thought into 'The proper way to run ADISC' and not just let it run on it's own.

FullMetal

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i couldn't possibly agree more strongly. like point, i've also been considering opening a thread like this. kudos to rance for coming out and saying what everyone's been thinking.

trying to prevent interweb drama is like trying to make a banana disappear by squeezing it in your fist. it's going to come smushing out somewhere or other. if people have something to say they should be allowed to say it, even if it's in the context of an argument. if you stifle people by closing threads, you'll just frustrate them, and that frustration will find a way of expressing itself in other less healthy places.

it's particularly depressing for me to see threads being closed because they've gone "off-topic." i think that going off-topic is one of the most wonderful things that can happen to a thread -- it means that people are engaged in the discussion and responding to one another. otherwise a thread winds up sounding like a telephone survey, with everyone giving their own boring responses to the same question in the OP.

i certainly think that some threads DO need to be closed, but try thinking hypothetically about what the forum would be like if no one ever closed a thread. some threads would turn into shitstorms, it's true, but in general life would go on. it's worth thinking long and hard before closing a thread about whether it's actually going to solve any problems or whether it's just going to take away people's opportunity to express themselves.

Role
Private
I do have the ability to lock threads and kick posts into moderation, but despite that, I am still just a chat mod, so I'll focus on that. My rule of thumb when it comes to forum duties and damage control is that I'll only take action if:

1). It clearly belongs on the request forum, or as a Private Message, or...
2). It's [blatantly] in need of immediate attention and no other mods are around.

Of course, both of those are up to my discretion, so opinions about what threads should and shouldn't be locked will vary. I'm really not surprised by the appearance of this thread, I've been having that feeling creep up the back of me for the past few weeks now.

To see how this came about, the best thing to do is figure out why it started. My personal belief is that some people have taken the "immaturity" issue to whole new level. I'm certainly not denying the fact that lately there have been a few who've completely and disrespectfully gone against the established system that rolled over with the users who came from TBDL. At least to me it seemed liked this place had a certain culture to it, one that is now being stamped out in way of an unabated new-user base who bring with them their own ideals and an unwillingness to respect not only the long-standing members of community, but also convention and tradition.

That's not hurling a big "**** you!" to all the newer people here, but merely pointing out that some people have been irritated (and actually left this site) because there was a total change in dynamic to this forum - and we cannot refuse to believe that this place has changed. I don't have any reservations about wanting this place to go back to the way it was, but keep in mind that I do understand that things were bound to change eventually. I'm not complaining about it, I'm just saying that you cannot deny that there used to be a certain order to things.

The problem was developed further when people started vocalising themselves against those certain few who, quite frankly, contributed nothing substantial to this forum, both from a quality and an interpersonal, communal aspect. Naturally, those people feel they had done nothing wrong and were simply enjoying themselves, which is a completely justified sentiment. The issue with that was they failed to consider the impression they left on other members (both new and old) and the overall impact their behaviour was having on the vibe of this forum. ADISC was always a forum you could go to to have a both light-hearted and heated discussion. That's what added "quality" to the place, not those mindless threads that lack depth and insight. These days it's a rarity to find a thread where you can actually add substance to your reply.

Since this has been brewing over the past few months, it's prominence is well-founded. The conceived notion that some people here are just "too immature" is what's damaging the forum, not censorship, which is merely a by-product of all the ****ing bullshit that is going on here lately. It seems any thread can turn into a shitfest, so if you're wondering why the frequency of threads getting locked is rising, it's because we've become more cautious in knowing that threads nowadays can turn quickly and unexpectedly into a bit steaming pile of manure. (That's just from my perspective anyway, I can't speak for the rest of the mod team). Even if it doesn't eventuate into anything, I'm not going to risk having people letting their retarded side off the leash and harness.

The mentality of this forum has shifted from respectful and considerate fun, to selfish and mind-numbingly superficial blabber. I feel my own posting standard has dropped because there's literally nothing I can reply to. As the forum grows and we get a larger array of people and opinions, then things will only get worse. It's a no-win situation really - no matter the course of action, there are always going to be people who get their egos hurt. As mods, we try to exercise best judgement, but it backfires when someone from the crowd complains, which is always the case. Of course not everyone is going to agree with our actions, but that's the role we signed on for.

Last edited:

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
There's no rulebook about closing threads. The only rule we have is that threads get closed when they have been inactive for a month. Other than that, it's up to the moderator's discretion. And as always with human, that involves the personal opinion of the moderator(s) - they may think a thread is in need of closure when you (or other people) may think it's one of the best threads ever.

Generally, threads should be closed when the discussion has strayed so far off-topic that no effort can bring the thread back on topic, when drama has unfolded or is about to be unfolded, when the original poster has been hurt/offended/insulted or is about to receive those kinds of feelings. I think the latter, Rance, equals what you called "Thread Type One". I feel that some people abused the freedom they had here to bully around other members. I consider ADISC a place where you can turn to with your problems, but recently, some threads are basically like going to the doctor with an acne problem, just to be called "moon face" and the doc and his assistant poking fun of you with cruel moon jokes until, in the end, they're talking among themselves about cheese (because Wallace&Gromit think the moon's made of cheese) and you're sitting there hurt and feeling worse.

As for your thread "Type Two" - I dunno which thread you're referring to (send me links via PM, if you wish), but even those seemingly "pointless" threads can include rude remarks, drama or potential drama. I, as a mod, don't have the time to go through 10 pages of totally pointless sillyness that has accumulated in 3 hours and to decide whether or not the thread is worth keeping. It's a spur-of-the-moment decision, I'm afraid, and may thus not always be right. It doesn't exactly help that some of those thread are posted in the RegularsOnly-forum when they are, essentially, spam and only add to the post count of people who spam in it. Personally, I'm all in favor of renaming the "ThreadGames"-forum to "Games&Fun"-forum, where all those threads can be posted without adding to people's thread count. In the ThreadGames forum, moderation should be less strict, because everyone knows that there's only fun and sillyness to be expected.
Ultimately, sillyness and joking are an essential part of our lives. But surely, you understand that those things have no place in certain areas of adult life - you wouldn't crack jokes at a murder trial, for instance. So I'm all in favor of separating the serious topics from the random sillyness, and threads where a serious topic is derailed into total randomness just don't work well in that regard. I mean what kind of image do newbies get when they open a thread about "Buying diapers at the Thanksgiving Sales" and end up seeing a thread filled with "Yo Momma"-jokes? :confused:

Peachy

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Personally I'm glad some of the lame "Ooh look at me posting in all caps with stupid pictures." threads are being closed. I'm tired of seeing garbage threads made by people just to get their post count up.

I'm also sick of being neg-repped for calling a thread stupid and pointless to have a mod come along an hour later, agree that it is stupid and pointless, and close it.

Go read the "OMG ADISC I NEED YOUR HELP" or what the crap ever thread and you'll get my meaning.

I realise that there are some juvenile people, and people with juvenile attitudes here... but give me a break. I post on this site because I appreciate the sense of maturity and common decency here. If you want to post lame crap and memes... save it for 4chan or wherever. This site isn't your high school... and it isn't a place for "OMGWTFBBQ POPPY DIPER" either.

Let's grow up a little... eh?

Reactions: Moo

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I agree with the first part of this (and I certainly sympathize with the neg rep issue you've come up with). I will say that all of my internet friends have a certain intelligence to them, and with that, a certain humor. I believe humor can be nonsensical, but still have a smart (not smart-ass, just...I don't know..."educated") wit to it. I see threads like that all the time in the "lounge" of BigSoccer, my other big internet hangout. BS is full of well educated folks like I see in here, and it really makes things fun.

The thing is, where do you draw the line? I know where I would draw the line if I were to host a place like this, but I don't necessarily have the same concerns or sense of humor, or boundaries, as anyone else here. To truly understand someone's thought processes, you need to be them. And I can only be me.

Yes, I've run into situations where I have felt a bit wanting for mutual respect by mods and others, but when I slow down a bit, sometimes I can get where they, or any of you, are coming from.

I do miss the TBDL days, but circumstances have changed, and I realize that.
On the other hand, as is being implied in this thread, things can continue to change. We all just maybe need to slow down and try to understand eachother a bit.

I agree with the gripes that started this thread in motion, but I also understand the mods and respect them as long as they can (in a mutually respectful manner) articulate why a certain decision or another has been made.

Viva democracy!

Personally I'm glad some of the lame "Ooh look at me posting in all caps with stupid pictures." threads are being closed. I'm tired of seeing garbage threads made by people just to get their post count up.

I'm also sick of being neg-repped for calling a thread stupid and pointless to have a mod come along an hour later, agree that it is stupid and pointless, and close it.

Go read the "OMG ADISC I NEED YOUR HELP" or what the crap ever thread and you'll get my meaning.

I realise that there are some juvenile people, and people with juvenile attitudes here... but give me a break. I post on this site because I appreciate the sense of maturity and common decency here. If you want to post lame crap and memes... save it for 4chan or wherever. This site isn't your high school... and it isn't a place for "OMGWTFBBQ POPPY DIPER" either.

Let's grow up a little... eh?

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Can you post some examples of threads that have been closed, that probably shouldn't have? (I've been pretty busy so I've probably missed them (and I will feel very stupid if they're threads that I've closed :p)).

Generally I don't like closing threads, I only really do it when I a see an argument (as in the bad, "STFU!", kind) going on. And even then I like to post in purple a warning beforehand.

I think the line is pretty clear... if I see a thread that I deem to be utterly pointless, then I move it into the thread games forum. :p

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm really glad everybody -- mods and regular members alike -- has been putting their two cents in. :) It helps to have different opinions and angles from which to see things!

As for your question, Charlie, the quickest example I can recall was the thread that Shodai made with the facetious question about the survey. There have been a few others, I believe, but that's the one that sticks out most vividly in my memory. I would gladly link, but I'm at work, and WebSense likes to not give me access to the Off Topic section.

I can see where the argument would be made that it should have been closed -- there was a lot of nothing (nothing bad, nothing good) going on except for a few members having some fun back and forth. It was a thread that was closed because of a similar situation to one that Peachy described by saying, "I, as a mod, don't have the time to go through 10 pages of totally pointless sillyness that has accumulated in 3 hours and to decide whether or not the thread is worth keeping." Although I can totally understand the aggravation it takes to skim through a thread that large, I imagine that comes as a part of being a moderator. It's not pleasant, but it's got to happen.

As a random thought: What takes longer to read and consider? Three thread-pages full of long diatribes, or ten pages full of one-sentence back-and-forth responses? Is it enough of a bruise on the forum that it needs be closed?

Peachy, I think I like the idea of renaming the Thread Games to something like that. I think it opens the range to the kind of posts that can be there. Maybe that's a suggestion that can be articulated further? :)

Charlie -- as a side note, I love the way you moderate. I say that because I mean it in every regard. I see your presence as a moderator more than I do anybody else's (and I'm not trying to single out other moderators as lazy, because they're not; I'm just saying that Charlie seems the most visible by explaining his reasonings whenever he mades an administrative decision). The notes you leave make me understand why threads were closed, why specific sentences were cut out, and they don't seem to reduce the ability to work around them. They are present, but not omnipresent. They function as little reminders to stay on task (but not necessarily make me feel like I have to stay on topic).

My belief is that if we strive to make things too serious, if we strive for everything to bear similar quality -- and if we do this by eliminating the ability to post a random B.S. thread and respond to one -- then we single out one of the most important aspects of this forum, which is the ability to take part in some random fun now and then. Regardless of what our interests are, the truth is that we are all vastly different. We exist under different religious theories; we exist under different personal theories; we exist beneath separate moral codes. If we're left to be constantly serious, then people will definitely grow apart. I believe that it's humor and light-heartedness that can really bring a group of intensely different people to the center.

Serious talks about religion, politics, philosophy, and even infantilism all lead to opinionation; opinionation leads to alienation; alienated people stab back as hard and fast as they can, and the people defending against that get just as furious. Keeping everything intentionally serious seems to really serve a dangerous purpose. When we're serious, we like to argue our points to the death. I've done it. Having one or two active threads where people can be complete-and-utter goofballs (while not needing to call it a Thread Game, because having fun for the sake of fun shouldn't be a game) won't hurt a thing, and for the people who might dislike it, refrain from being a part. I don't believe it needs to be reduced, however, or censored, or cut off, as long as there's nobody being targeted or harmed by it.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
A wise guy, huh?

*throws a cream pie at Rance*

Good thread, I think. Worth talking about. For myself, I hate to see a thread cut down in its prime, even if it happens to be a really stupid one. There are threads which are inherently flawed, and apparently we, as a community lack the fortitude to just let them sink off the page without comment, so sometimes I think it is necessary to lock things, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I even like the threads with the big arguments and hate to see them shut down just because some can't get the hang of doing it right. I sympathize with the burdens of moderation, moreso even now that I'm feeling them myself, and it's very easy (and doubtless sometimes totally correct) to look at things afterwards and say that something different should have been done. As an ideal, I'd like to see us try to preserve a thread as long as there's something worthwhile in it, even if it might be a little risky, because that's where the interesting content comes from, but I recognize that things are rarely ideal.

For the last part, I like Peachy's suggestion for the subtle change to the Games subforum. I thought of it myself this morning in the shower (yes, I was thinking of you all while I was naked and wet), and it seemed like a reasonable accomodation.

*readies his seltzer bottle*

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
A wise guy, huh?

*throws a cream pie at Rance*

Good thread, I think. Worth talking about. For myself, I hate to see a thread cut down in its prime, even if it happens to be a really stupid one. There are threads which are inherently flawed, and apparently we, as a community lack the fortitude to just let them sink off the page without comment, so sometimes I think it is necessary to lock things, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I even like the threads with the big arguments and hate to see them shut down just because some can't get the hang of doing it right. I sympathize with the burdens of moderation, moreso even now that I'm feeling them myself, and it's very easy (and doubtless sometimes totally correct) to look at things afterwards and say that something different should have been done. As an ideal, I'd like to see us try to preserve a thread as long as there's something worthwhile in it, even if it might be a little risky, because that's where the interesting content comes from, but I recognize that things are rarely ideal.

For the last part, I like Peachy's suggestion for the subtle change to the Games subforum. I thought of it myself this morning in the shower (yes, I was thinking of you all while I was naked and wet), and it seemed like a reasonable accomodation.
Ditto this (well, I'm kind of in spongebath mode due to temporary medical setbacks). I was afraid to suggest this because I thought a miscellaneous forum might have already been done. But I do support a broader renaming, as Peachy suggested. It can let us all let loose a bit and be who we are a bit more (within reason).

*runs out of room after TMI moment*

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
As a relative n00b, (check the post count) I feel a little cautious jumping in the deep end, so to speak, but what's life without a challenge? I think that one of the things that keeps me coming back to this forum is that the variety of threads present allow me to participate, regardless of my mood or emotional involvement.
There are times after a stressful day that I choose not to respond in the more thought provoking, quality threads because my enthusiasm to rise to the appropriate level isn't there. I'll go splash around in the fun areas (games and whatnot) and while I know it is infested with "immature" comments *shudder*, there are things and comments that make me laugh, and lighten my mood. Conversely, there are times that my interest (and patience with my slow ass typing) is up and I want to get involved in the weightier aspects of the site.

*getting to the point* If the nonsense threads aren't hurting anyone, I say leave them open. (to a point, of course) You never know where the next nugget of humor that has you ROFL is going to come from. Obviously, if it denigrates into something totally without value (A: uh-huh, B: nu-uh, ect..), kill it.

I have seen a fast enough response with warnings and closures on the threads that merit that level of discipline, for lack of a better word. There have been some threads that have had rather heated, yet respectful, discussions that would have been sorely missed, had they been closed prematurely. It has been a long time since I have seen the quality of discourse that I have seen here, and I hope that never goes away.

When moderating, is it better to be more reactive, knowing you can lock the thread, or to proactively cull the threads that *might* lead somewhere distasteful? I would think the least censoring method might be the former, but the intricacies of the mods duties are totally dark to me.

:twocents:FWIW

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The mentality of this forum has shifted from respectful and considerate fun, to selfish and mind-numbingly superficial blabber.
i think what makes adisc unique isn't constant on-topic sobriety so much as an absence of lewdity and creepiness. although the culture of this forum is in a constant state of flux as new members join and old members fade away, i haven't seen any great increase in the percentage of people who have nothing else to discuss except the content of their diaper. on the contrary, it seems that people are becoming if anything even more eager to talk about anything and everything. you may not personally like randomness, immaturity, and superficiality on the forums, but these qualities don't in any way counteract ADISC's fundametal purpose. you seem to think that this forum is moving in a negative direction, but i don't think that's true at all.

i think it would be wrong to close a thread simply because there isn't a substantive discussion taking place there. if you don't like that sort of thread you don't have to read it, and i personally enjoy a bit of nonsense once in a while.

threads should be closed when the discussion has strayed so far off-topic that no effort can bring the thread back on topic
peachy, can you explain to me why this should be so? as long as people are being respectful, shouldn't they be allowed to talk about whatever they like, even if it wasn't what the thread was initially opened to discuss?

F

FullMetal

Well, the one thing I find interesting about this whole conversation is this: Most of the threads that seem to be closed due to the off topic nature in which people post in these threads, seem to be in the 'Off Topic' Forum. Logic?

In any case, I have a few other things to say and I will make it short. I hope we can all agree that the goal of this site (the main one) is to support.

Now, I am OK with someone calling a banana an apple, but when this person thinks he is going to make apple juice out of bananas, I tend to call him an idiot.

My point?

Well, when you have a growing community of apples, cucumbers, grapes, ect. you will be having lots of juices, that taste completely different.

Growing is great. I do not see why people tend to mistake growing for ruining.

I believe if our main goal stays the same, and we keep what we came here to do in addition with good, detailed topics, then we shouldn't have to close threads that go off topic.

I leave yo with this question, answer at your own risk:

Why can't we have it all.

FullMetal

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I must say, I have noticed that a large number of threads have been locked, and usually, I can understand where the mods are coming from when they have locked them. Not necessarily agreed with their reasoning, but understood the reasoning they have used. I think the major problems comes when a thread gets so far away from its OP that the topic =/= the title in any way, shape or form. My personal solution to this would be for the mods to open a new thread covering this new topic, and link the old thread to it. That way, we aren't killing discussion, and people aren't being misled by the topic title.

I like very much the idea of making Thread Games into Fun and Games, there are a number of threads I can see fitting into that category, which didn't really fit anywhere else. However, I think we also need to realise that a thread can go off the rails, when perhaps the OP wasn't wanting it to be a Fun and Games style post. Here we have a dilemma, do we move it to a more suitable area, or do we leave it in the area that applies to the original post. Again, I think this can be resolved with opening a new thread closer to wherever the topic has meandered. Unless of course there is no clear topic.

If there is no clear topic then the thread has probably become akin to a very slow IM, and much closer to natural conversation. While this may not apply to the original topic, surely this actually develops the community feel, not detracts from it. However, it is difficult to separate this into a new thread. This is a shame, because killing a conversation that is neither abusive nor sickeningly immature is not the right course of action to take IMO - and that unfortunately is what locking it does. I hate to see talk killed unless it is actually causing a problem.

I feel it is problematic if it becomes abusive and/or as opposed to moving off topic, was never on topic. If it was never on topic, I would like to see a warning from a mod before it wonders off - and by never on topic, I mean people aren't posting in reference to the OP after literally 2 or 3 posts. If locking is required I would like to be able to see a good reason, two or three lines explaining the reasoning of the mods, as opposed to the once sentence we often get.

I think the mods do do a good job, and all the threads that do require closure are. However, they may be a little overzealous. It is a balancing act - we want this to be a place for mature and serious discussion, but we don't want to punish people for having fun. I am against locking unless something is truly out of control by other means, but I think the mods do the right thing, sorta. Some of them just close a thread before it gets out of hand, not once it has. While the threads they close are likely to develop the way they predict, I think if they were just to wait a little longer, it would be more fair on the other people on the site.

Also, I'd be interested to hear people's opinions on my 'Open a new thread' method!

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I thought of it myself this morning in the shower (yes, I was thinking of you all while I was naked and wet), and it seemed like a reasonable accomodation.

*readies his seltzer bottle*
Ah, so I'm not the only one who gets his best ideas in the bath, while being naked and wet (sorry for making y'all puke now).

So can we just make a "Crap" Forum... or what?
No, I'm not gonna moderate a Crap forum! While I don't have a problem with changing the occasional crappy diaper, I'm not gonna try to keep a whole forum that looks like a sewer clean! :tongueout:

Seriously though, I think it would make the mod's workload a lot easier if we had a designated forum for jokes, fun and sillyness where mods can turn a blind eye unless there's some serious drama unfolding. In return, however, the other forums should ideally kept clean of pointless threads, unless it's a Deeker-type post.
Remember: We have to keep a balance between long-standing member's desire to have some fun with each other and joke around, and newbies' desire to get useful answers to problems or to get help with their personal problems. You don't really feel welcome at a bar/club where the regular members make inside joke among themselves and never talk to you.

In addition, people should also ideally moderate their own threads. I.e. steer the direction back on topic if they think it has gone too far off-topic and they haven't received the answers they wanted.
Alternative, it would help if members also explain in their original post what the thread is about, what its purpose is etc. For example, Kraiden closed Shodai's "Guess the Pokemon"-thread (or something like that) after the correct answer had been given. It's hard to tell for an outsider who doesn't know jack shit abot Pokemon that the thread was really just a game for some fun rather than a serious question that Shodai didn't know the answer to. Granted, the world isn't perfect, but it's always a two-way street: Members need to work with the mods just as much as the other way around.

Edit: About the suggestion of having a "Fun and Games"-forum: Please go to this thread: http://www.adisc.org/forum/administrative-stuff/6381-should-we-have-fun-games-forum.html and vote!

Peachy

Role
Diaper Lover
peachy, can you explain to me why this should be so? as long as people are being respectful, shouldn't they be allowed to talk about whatever they like, even if it wasn't what the thread was initially opened to discuss?
A great, great point indeed. Peachy, thanks for all the posts regarding this topic, but this is one that makes me particularly curious. Im just wondering your thoughts on this, not trying to take a swing at you or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.