Think I got hit by malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
I think I got hit by malware, everytime I accessed facebook it would say uploading(0%) than waiting for localhost... screw that.

I'm switching to linux.

I scanned my computer showed nothing, but netstat -b is showing really weird ip addresses... so...

I changed all my passwords just in case, and switched to Linux.

I'm paranoid when it comes to security.

I'm not the type of person who takes chances with malware, as I know what damage it can do(ie steal your indent y)

What kind of "really weird ip addresses"? I'm a network guy.

Maybe can you include some screenshots of this 'uploading'?

Do you have malware megabytes? I use that program. Malware sucks, I try to avoid it by not clicking on any images on google images unless it's from a site I trust like youtube or here or wordpress. But of course you can get it nonetheless because i swear malware travels on websites even if it is on a forum and the program would say it blocked the malware. But that only happens when you have the full version.

I installed linux before I saw your replies, so I DOn't really have a screenshot.

They were unusual IP addresses

On the brightside, installing linux seemed to remove the issue :D

I never understood how Linux worked, where do you get it and is it free and how do you install it. Does it replace windows and does it come with a disk when you install Linux? I have tried looking up how all this Linux stuff worked and could never figure it out.

Calico said:
I never understood how Linux worked, where do you get it and is it free and how do you install it. Does it replace windows and does it come with a disk when you install Linux? I have tried looking up how all this Linux stuff worked and could never figure it out.

Linux is the kernel, so chances are you won't find much on it.

what you're looking for is a distro, and yes I used it to replace windows, not everyone switches to linux, I use it because I like UNIX and plan to get a job in networking eventully so its a must.

You can burn a ubuntu iso onto a disk, or you can have a disk shipped to you for a cheep price.

Linux is free as in freedom of speech, not price. :)

A distro like ubuntu is just as easy as windows even easier when you get the hang of it, command line stuff is even easier and you'll see the beauty once you understand it fully, not really a fan of CMD.

I use it because I hate viruses, and I like UNIX, Its kind of like OSX, thats why I use Linux atm, Used to have a hackintosh.

(*Linux is Unix Like, Not Unix*)

Calico said:

Ubuntu (Linux) has there own website http://www.ubuntu.com/. It is entirely free! Open source FTW baby! Depending on which OS you're running, there are a few different ways it can be installed. Usually it's only/primarily available as a digital download, however once downloaded it can be loaded up onto a flash drive and made bootable (this is the most common method for installing it I believe) however it should also be possible to burn it to a disk as an image (ISO) file that can be used to install it as well. I had it installed on my old PC as a virtual machine. Once it's on a disc or USB, it's just a matter of telling your computer to boot up using the disk or USB instead of the typical drive it usually uses (most likely your HDD with your OS [Windows] on it). Then from there a wizard should pop up to guide you through installing it.

In my case it didn't replace Windows, but it ran within Windows. However, it is fully capable of replacing Windows and being your main/exclusive operating system.

I also want to add Ubuntu is just one version of Linux. But I personally think it's one the more user friendly versions and really doesn't limit its users all that much, especially for inexperienced users.

TheCaptain said:
Ubuntu (Linux) has there own website http://www.ubuntu.com/. It is entirely free! Open source FTW baby! Depending on which OS you're running, there are a few different ways it can be installed. Usually it's only/primarily available as a digital download, however once downloaded it can be loaded up onto a flash drive and made bootable (this is the most common method for installing it I believe) however it should also be possible to burn it to a disk as an image (ISO) file that can be used to install it as well. I had it installed on my old PC as a virtual machine. Once it's on a disc or USB, it's just a matter of telling your computer to boot up using the disk or USB instead of the typical drive it usually uses (most likely your HDD with your OS [Windows] on it). Then from there a wizard should pop up to guide you through installing it.

In my case it didn't replace Windows, but it ran within Windows. However, it is fully capable of replacing Windows and being your main/exclusive operating system.

I also want to add Ubuntu is just one version of Linux. But I personally think it's one the more user friendly versions and really doesn't limit its users all that much, especially for inexperienced users.

There also Ubuntu-Mate and Lubuntu which work perfectly on older hardware and only chew around 128MB or ram

Calico said:

It's an operating system like Windows, so you can use it to replace Windows, or set up a dual-boot system with both Windows and Linux -- a "bootloader" will run when you turn on the PC so you can choose which operating system to run.

BluePanda said:
Linux is the kernel, so chances are you won't find much on it.

what you're looking for is a distro...

As BluePanda says, technically, Linux is just a kernel (kinda like the software equivalent of a CPU). GNU is a collection of utilities that emulate UNIX utilities. So Linux (the kernel) is like the missing piece of the jigsaw that makes GNU and Linux together a complete operating system.

So technically Linux is the kernel. But in everyday use, most people referring to Linux actually mean GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux is open-source, which means that lots of people across the world volunteer to work on different parts of it. Lots of components (called packages) are created, and if you put them together in the right way, with the right configurations you can create your own GNU/Linux operating system. Unlike Windows where you get what you're given, there's no ONE way to do that. There's so much choice!

But it's incredibly complicated to actually put these components together yourself, so groups of people work together to create "distributions" ("distros" for short) where they have chosen all the bits necessary to make a complete GNU/Linux operating system that installs itself automatically.

To install a distro, you would normally download an .ISO file, burn it to CD/DVD, and then boot from that (in the same way as if you were installing Windows). Be careful if you've never done this before -- you'll need to understand partitioning and will need to back up your data first!

If you just want to try a GNU/Linux distro, a great way is to use a virtual emulator like VirtualBox. It's a program that you run in Windows, and you can install operating systems inside it. So the "guest" operating system appears as a window on your computer instead of running on a real computer. It's an easy, safe and brilliant way to try things out!

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Two popular Linux distros that are supposed to be "easy" for Windows users are Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Personally, they drive me crazy! I prefer Arch Linux, which is much "simpler" in that it's minimalist and you set almost everything up yourself by hand. You can make it work exactly how you like, and in doing so, you learn how things work. But you need to be technically-minded to enjoy it!

There are also "live" distros, like Slax. A "live" distro is an image of a pre-installed operating system. You can boot from a CD, DVD or USB stick straight into Linux, without installing it. So it leaves your current operating system untouched. It's another easy way to try out Linux.

https://www.slax.org/en/

I've wiped all my hard disks.

and I've gone back with windows 10, installed AVG. hmm

Hopefully all goes well

BluePanda, still kinda curious what the 'unusual' IP addresses were. I mean, like were they "dotted decimal" addresses like --> 192.168.1.0 (this format is called dotted decimal), except maybe number ranges that you weren't familiar with? Like 127.0.0.1 or 169.254.113.154?

Have you by chance heard of IPv6? IPv6 IP addresses, on the other hand, don't follow this "dotted decimal" format and to someone who has never seen one -- they certainly be unusual or strange! Another convention that IPv6 breaks is that multiple IPv6 addresses can and usually are assigned to the same network card or interface. You might see like 3, 4, 5, maybe 6 IP addresses assigned to the same interface. An example IPv6 address would be --> fe80::7a24:afff:feed:518 or 2601:249:4:859a:etc:etc:etc:etc

Do you remember what these 'unusual' IP addresses were?

I'm aware of IPV6 and dotted decimal IP addresses, As I have a background in server administration, programming ect.

some of them were really odd as in when I did a reverse ip on them, a lot of them came from russia or Korea which made me think something was up.

anyways, I did a reinstall and it seems like the ip addresses are usual, not some weird ips.

I'm an Idoit.

The localhost thing was caused by apache..

o_O, I'm gobsmacked ahaha!

tiny said:
It's an operating system like Windows, so you can use it to replace Windows, or set up a dual-boot system with both Windows and Linux -- a "bootloader" will run when you turn on the PC so you can choose which operating system to run.

As BluePanda says, technically, Linux is just a kernel (kinda like the software equivalent of a CPU). GNU is a collection of utilities that emulate UNIX utilities. So Linux (the kernel) is like the missing piece of the jigsaw that makes GNU and Linux together a complete operating system.

So technically Linux is the kernel. But in everyday use, most people referring to Linux actually mean GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux is open-source, which means that lots of people across the world volunteer to work on different parts of it. Lots of components (called packages) are created, and if you put them together in the right way, with the right configurations you can create your own GNU/Linux operating system. Unlike Windows where you get what you're given, there's no ONE way to do that. There's so much choice!

But it's incredibly complicated to actually put these components together yourself, so groups of people work together to create "distributions" ("distros" for short) where they have chosen all the bits necessary to make a complete GNU/Linux operating system that installs itself automatically.

To install a distro, you would normally download an .ISO file, burn it to CD/DVD, and then boot from that (in the same way as if you were installing Windows). Be careful if you've never done this before -- you'll need to understand partitioning and will need to back up your data first!

If you just want to try a GNU/Linux distro, a great way is to use a virtual emulator like VirtualBox. It's a program that you run in Windows, and you can install operating systems inside it. So the "guest" operating system appears as a window on your computer instead of running on a real computer. It's an easy, safe and brilliant way to try things out!

Two popular Linux distros that are supposed to be "easy" for Windows users are Ubuntu and Linux Mint. Personally, they drive me crazy! I prefer Arch Linux, which is much "simpler" in that it's minimalist and you set almost everything up yourself by hand. You can make it work exactly how you like, and in doing so, you learn how things work. But you need to be technically-minded to enjoy it!

There are also "live" distros, like Slax. A "live" distro is an image of a pre-installed operating system. You can boot from a CD, DVD or USB stick straight into Linux, without installing it. So it leaves your current operating system untouched. It's another easy way to try out Linux.

https://www.slax.org/en/

This is a lot of awesome info! Thanks for sharing. I like the support and convenience of OS X and Windows but I've always been interested in Linux. I've seen a lot of the terms you mentioned thrown around so it's nice to see concise and quick definitions for them.

tiny said:

Hyper-V is included with Windows 8 Pro and Windows 10 Pro. Hyper-V is a virtual emulator and is what I used to run Ubuntu. In my experience with it, it was really easy to set up and use and worked like a charm.

BluePanda said:
I'm an Idoit.

The localhost thing was caused by apache..

o_O, I'm gobsmacked ahaha!

Good find, that's gotta be some sweat off your neck!

Yeah, must be a bug related to chrome

I have apache installed for development and didn't install it until recently and it came back..

So, problem solved :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back