The Wiki and its Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I am not sure, but last time I checked the Wiki is not visible to a member who is not logged in. Is this a good thing? Discuss.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i certainly hope there aren't any limitations on it. our wiki could be the main feature of the site with a little effort. there's nothing like it anywhere on the internet, and it could be an amazing resource for ABDLs if it was expanded a bit.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Shows to me. Only thing you can't do is edit it.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I think if the welcome page was edited slightly (with a very noticeable link to the forum) it could easily be the main page (i.e. what the url "adisc.org" links to).

So yeah, I hope non-members can see it now.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
The wiki is a great resource, and I am sure it would be a really good thing to promote this site. I would encourage people to look at the wiki, and think it might encourage people to join if they could see it. If, as Kovalchuk says, you need to be logged in to see it, I think this needs to be corrected, and quickly.

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think if the welcome page was edited slightly (with a very noticeable link to the forum) it could easily be the main page (i.e. what the url "adisc.org" links to).
having the wiki as our main page is a really neat idea! maybe we'd get people joining the site specifically for the purpose of working on the wiki. that would be fantastic!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
The wiki *is* visible* to guests. Or at least it should be - if it isn't, send one of the admins a PM.

I'd like to see it have more content before we consider making it the main page.

I've put more emphasis on the wiki link in the navbar, so that it gets more traffic in the meantime.

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other

So yeah, I hope non-members can see it now.
Would it not be more suitable to make a custom front page with links to the forum, live chat, wiki, toplist (links) and gallery?

I mean a forum is just a forum, a "website" is a web of sites, "sites" meaning "places". One of those "places" is the forum, another is the wiki etc..

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Other
... Our wiki could be the main feature of the site with a little effort. there's nothing like it anywhere on the internet, and it could be an amazing resource for ABDLs if it was expanded a bit.
True, there are many other forums, but few other relevant wikis. Fleshing out ADISC's wiki can be done little by little. In time, it might become active and substantial, like Wikipedia is now.

However, once it becomes large and active, the effort required to limit vandalism and find compromise between editors would become substantial, just as it is on Wikipedia. This effort would be ongoing. It wouldn't be something that could be done little by little.

Please be aware that the most vicious person that I've had to deal with on Wikipedia was an AB/DL.

ADISC's wiki can hope to become expansive and active, like Wikipedia is now. However, with these will come other similarities.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
... and perhaps the rep system could be a useful way to moderate "editing the wiki" powers if vandalism/spam became an issue. I agree the wiki as mainpage has interesting possibilities. I have believed for some time that the social architecture of ADISC is worthy of emulation, and I envision ADISC-copies existing in other languages; putting out translations of the wiki (initially as lead-ins to present ADISC) would be a valuable contribution to the world of AB/DL at large, and a first step towards ADISC-cloning.

I discussed some "ADISC-self-reproduction" ideas (in my typical pedantic style) here : http://www.adisc.org/forum/administ...15814.html?highlight=adisc-organism#post15814
along with some notions of why direct attacks on Deeker are risky and ill-advised.

Last edited:

redtails

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, , Carer, Other
To Racoon:

I'm not familiar with the wikimedia code myself (all I know is that it's very inefficient and very slow), but it would require some skill to implement a sort of "if rep<0 then allow_modification=0"

I must tell you that ADISC copies won't arise that easily, the vbulletin code is VERY expensive (somewhere around 300$ for a single license) and unless those localization projects are blood serious, they would rather use a free alternative like phpbb

Otherwise, your theories of self reproduction would work if Moo or RJ were actually allowed to distribute the edited files. Which they aren't because there's copyright on them. I'm not 100% sure but some implementations actually cost money as well. So, they can't even distribute the changes they've made to the forum software without risking copyright issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.