The Term AB

Status
Not open for further replies.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
What do you all (Specifically the 18+ members) think of the term "Adult Baby" opposed to Teen Baby?

I've heard two different sides, and identify with both.

1) AB is a title held by the creeps. So by calling yourself an Adult Baby you end up feeling like one of the big, fat, old creepy guys.

and to counteract that...

2) Someone said to me that they don't like the term TB because then they feel like they are talking to a child. When they talk, they want to talk to an Adult, hence the Adult Baby, and by calling yourself a Teen baby, you are saying to yourself you're still a child, and not mature or an adult, yet.

Now I'm 18, so I can be considered both, as to which I prefer, I'd say AB just because It's more widely known and I've used it for awhile now, anyhow.

So what do you prefer?

B

Butterfly Mage

I'm over 18, so I guess I can answer. I don't think "AB" is a particularly creepy term. It's much better for a 45-year-old to identify as "AB" than "TB", that's for sure. Creepiness isn't in labels but rather in the actions, words, and demeanor.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I don't have a very active AB side, so maybe I'm not the best to comment. However, I've generally seen the TB/AB distinction as a meaningless one, except as a shorthand to let an adult know to watch what he says around someone who is more likely a minor. I'm not much interested in that kind of talk, so even that part has little bearing to me. The reason I find the distinction essentially meaningless is that whether one is a legal adult or a teen, neither is a baby, and that's the critical difference. The whole purpose of the label is to indicate someone who wouldn't ordinarily be interested in baby stuff who is. Actual age is irrelevant as long as the person doesn't fit in that "baby" category anymore.

I do sympathize with the sort of creepy vibe that can come with AB. I think the best anyone can do is try not to be one of the creeps.

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I liked the term TB more and I still used the term up to my 20th birthday last year.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
The terms AB, AK(Adult Kid), or AT(Adult Toddler) pretty much fit me depending on what activities I'm engaging in. The only place I use any of them to describe my regressive side is here on ADISC, and hopefully by now everyone realizes I'm not a big, fat, old(on the inside anyway:D), creepy person no matter which term I use. So it don't mind being considered an AB because I know I'm not anything like the stereotypical creepy ones you see on other sites. They should actually call themselves ABCs (Adult Baby Creeps) and stop giving decent ABs a bad name.:rolleyes:

~Pramrider

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
For some reason the AB term always seemed to conjure up the negative image of the creepy old guy you might see on jerry springer and TB seemed to be the more cleaner of the two. Of course my views on the subject were more or less shaped when I was a teen. Now that I'm in my 20's and would have to refer to myself as an AB, though i'm really more DL, I have come to have a better outlook on the AB term given the fact that if I was more in touch with my *B side, I would be an AB, and not at all creepy and such. If that makes any sense at all.

D

daria7483

I started describing myself as an AB as soon as I turned 18. I wanted to be seen as an adult. I can see how some people might think it has more of a creepy connotation, but I think anyone 18+, and especially anyone over 19, should use the AB term because in many countries, 18 is the age of consent and the age that one legally becomes an adult. Therefore, if I were 19 and talking to a 15-year-old I would not want to describe myself as a TB, at least without specifically clarifying that I was 19, because I wouldn't want to find myself in a position where someone said I mislead the kid.

I think it is up to us to take back the term AB and help it lose its creepy reputation. ABs only have a reputation as being creeps because of a few sickos who solicited teens. I think using the term TB after you've turned 18 is misleading, and we should be proud to be adult babies. What will really get us a bad rep is if you're going into chat rooms telling teens you're a TB when you're really 25.

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I'm very mildly AB, even less (if any, I'm still undecided) furry, so I usually refer to myself as a DL, which, for me, rolls off the tongue quite nicely. Sometimes I'll use the generic term *B/DL, but that is such a clunky thing to say :/

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
There seems to be a split between diaper fetishists and the AB/DL community in general. Even DLs like myself know when not to be creepy about it. But at the same time, furries also have a horrible reputation because of a good number of pervs that regularly solicit you for yiff. The problem is that anything with a possibly sexual connotation to it will be subject to a sexual reputation.

The term AB will always be a negative label for this reason. I'd suggest you describe your interest as it is, instead of saying "I'm an adult baby" or "I'm a TB" etc.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I'd rather keep the term TB for me at least until I'm no longer a "teen" (20+)

Role
Private
My only problem with having the AB label applied to me is that it groups me in with those unsavoury types who bring down the whole image of this fetish.

I'm honestly not fond of either the AB or TB label, but since there's nothing much else to define this fetish (except infantilism, but than can be a mouthful), I use those terms.

RubixFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy, , Carer
I believe as long as theirs a teen in your name, you're still a TB

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i don't think either term is all that appealing. when i think about what "adult baby" really means, it doesn't describe me at all. i'm not a baby, i'm an adult! i just happen to like diapers and cozy pajamas and plushies and such.

i don't really like the sound of "diaper lover" either, although it's closer to the truth. i'll use the terms for convenience's sake within the community, but if i ever find myself in the position of explaining what i do to one of my real-life friends, you won't hear me use either term.

T00L

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
i don't think either term is all that appealing. when i think about what "adult baby" really means, it doesn't describe me at all. i'm not a baby, i'm an adult! i just happen to like diapers and cozy pajamas and plushies and such.

i don't really like the sound of "diaper lover" either, although it's closer to the truth. i'll use the terms for convenience's sake within the community, but if i ever find myself in the position of explaining what i do to one of my real-life friends, you won't hear me use either term.
This

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
In my profile I have both "Teen Baby" and "Adult Baby", I don't see either as more correct than the other, so I might as well show up on both searches. :p

But really, I don't see how the terms mean anything to me anyway. ADISC is the only place where I'd ever need to describe myself as a *B, and here you can see my age and infer why it says both. I would rarely have to say "I'm a *B", and if I did then it would depend on the situation as to whether I'd call myself a teen or adult baby. I think I'd say AB more often than not though, because I feel all adultly now that I'm over 18.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
There are always problem with labels, and we really see it with a presidential election; conservatives vs. liberals, etc. Gay certainly doesn't describe someone who is homosexual and it too brings stereotypical images to one's perseption. Is it any wonder adult baby carries with it the CSI image. Personally I have always been attracted to diapers and using them, and I certainly regress while in this state of mind, so maybe the term applies, but it does seem a bit silly. Oh well, I've had a lifetime to try and live with this, and frankly, I no longer care.

Z

Zeit

I seldom make reference to myself being labelled as much of anything (Gay/Straight, Liberal/Conservative etc...) and I find the idea of sticking a general label on yourself is a pretty pretentious way of showing how much you care about your public image.

That said, I have used the term "*B" or just said Infantilist or Fetishist when describing how i relate to this interest. AB has this stigma about it and obviously calling myself a TB isn't appropriate considering my (adult) age.

Role
Diaper Lover
I am an older DL (55) who has had an intrest in diapers all my life. I must admit , at this stage in my life I would probably be considered on of those "old, fat creepy" guys, but I still wear diapers for medical and personal prefereance. Have been married for 18 yrs, and most of my family(all grown), are aware. Some frown on it but most accept it. I don't purposely show my attire to people, but if they notice and ask, I don't hide it.
To the subject at hand, ie, the term AB. I am basically a DL, but there are a few times where I did , (and still do) indulge in some AB play. That goes with the territory. The mind is what dictates your desires and actions.As long as these desires and actions are with consenting adults, I see no problems. When it starts manifistating itself with minors, then there is a BIG problem. Just wanted to state that Diapers on Adults is not a new thing. The availability of discussing it with thousands on the internet is new,( in my lifetime. I always thought of myself as some kind of devient till I discovered the internet. That was when I realised how many were like me. I now chat with many my age and have come to terms with my diaper wearing. I hope everyone will at least have an open mind about some of us older AB/DL'. Thanks for the space.
PghDave

BitterGrey

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur, Other
What do you all (Specifically the 18+ members) think of the term "Adult Baby" opposed to Teen Baby?
This question reminds me of how DVD-R (DVD dash R) became DVD minus R when someone else had the bright idea to market a competing format as DVD plus R. (DVD+R).

The category Adult Baby predates the Teen Baby category. Initially, it just meant someone who was into being a baby but who wasn't a baby; who was an adult. At least, that is my best understanding, since it wasn't formally defined anywhere. A teen baby is then an adult baby who is under 18.

That is, it is "adult" as in "adult Bible study," as opposed to "adult book store."

Status
Not open for further replies.