• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

The Simpsons, Family Guy & South Park

Which is best?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuctifano

Est. Contributor
Role
Which of these three is the best and why?

I like all three, but in this order:

1. South Park
2. The Simpsons
2.5. Futurama (I know it's not in the poll but I like it)
3. Family Guy

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I love the Simpsons and it's always been a favorite of mine, but in recent seasons South Park just kicks too much ass so I picked that one :p.

MsClara

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer
I like them all, and they have all been the best animated program on TV at one point in time...
in the early to mid 1990's the Simpsons was the best program of any kind, but then they went into a slow, sad decline....
in the late 1990's, early 2000's South Park was the best animation for adults
currently Family Guy is the best animation for adults, but since it mostly relies on "shock" humour, it's days are numbered... how far can they push that boat out before they fall in the river?

Lil Snap

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
South Park is everything and a bag of chips. The others are ok, but none are more topical, scathingly funny, and offensive.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
I like South Park... but I like The Simpsons more. I don't watch much TV.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Animated Series ...ok

1. American Dad makes me laugh the most..
2.SP is good but it goes too far at times.
3. Simpsons and Family Guy are tied now so...

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Southpark
and coming in a close second Family Guy
and I don't really watch the Simpsons, but I still like it.

satyrical

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
The Simpsons is the best show to ever be on television, and for about 8 or 9 seasons it was a perfect show. Now it's pretty awful, which is unfortunate, but it is, overall, the best by-far. South Park is brilliant in its satire, and pretty freakin' funny, but it doesn't have a wide enough appeal to be better than the Simpsons, and it's beginning to tire out as well. Family Guy was funny for about five episodes- since then, the show has been crap, unfunny, stupidly-random and offensive just for the sake of shock value.

Ultimately, without The Simpsons, there would be no South Park or Family Guy. Neither of the latter two come close to being as funny as the Simpsons was during the 1990s. End of story.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Ultimately, without The Simpsons, there would be no South Park or Family Guy. Neither of the latter two come close to being as funny as the Simpsons was during the 1990s. End of story.
Agreed. Matt Groening was a pioneer in Adult Cartoons. Let's face it, all others basically copied from The Simpsons.

Klokwork

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Carer
I have to give this one to Family Guy. It's stupider than the other two, but it's just so unpredictable. It's a guilty pleasure that rots your brain, and that's why it deserves my vote.

N

nd01

I've voted for South Park, since over the years the same old simpsons episodes have been showing on TV and it's getting to the point where it's just not funny any more, apart from some bits. South Park is funnier in my opinion. As for family guy... I've never watched it. Only about once or twice, and I don't plan on seeing it since i'm addicted to the computer, not the TV lol.

Lowie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer
I dunno, I love all three of them and can't really decide on a winner.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Sissy, Carer
It's tough to equal the decade-plus of hilarity and poignancy that South Park has given us. The Simpsons is struggling to find its voice again, and Family Guy can't weave its humor into the story line (the cut scenes that have become its trademark are essentially disconnected asides to the story's arc). South Park rarely has a misstep.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I voted for Family Guy. I really dig the non-sequitur humour, and generally think that the average quality of the episodes is higher than that of the other two shows you mentioned. Although Meg and Chris are pretty mediocre characters and Stewie's early catchphrases got boring quicker than South Park's "oh my god, they killed Kenny!", the characters are generally highly varied and interesting, especially in the more recent series.

I love South Park too, and would go as far as saying that at its best it's actually better than Family Guy (I love episodes which focus heavily on Garrison, for example). However, the early seasons (before it became more topical) were not that entertaining and occasionally the odd lousy episode still slips through. In addition to that, the female schoolchildren are boring characters and sometimes the show can get far too preachy for its own good.

The Simpsons is a very distant third. Its best episodes have been repeated seemingly every other week for the past 15 years; the early seasons were awful and the more recent episodes aren't that fantastic either. Also, Marge, Lisa and Bart generally fail to resonate with me as characters, which is problematic since they're 3/5 of the main cast (and Maggie doesn't really count). They should have called it quits long ago and worked on something else.

As for the ones you didn't mention, I'll cover them briefly. I love Futurama, which is faaaaar better than the Simpsons, although I can see the risk of it getting very stale very quickly if they decide to milk it by making a sixth season. As for American Dad, I've only seen the pilot, but wasn't impressed. The characters just seemed like slightly revamped versions of secondary characters from Family Guy, and the fish was particularly pointless. Hopefully, however, my opinion will change once I watch a few of the later episodes.

... South Park does Mel Gibson the best by a mile, though. "AHHHHHH, MY NIPPLES, THEY HURT! THEY HURT WHEN AH TWIST 'EM!"

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I love Family Guy but I find it pretty hit and miss. If I was American I'd probably really like it as I'd know who the hell they were talking about (Family Guy's popularity in the UK amazes me, as the amount of American (only) pop-culture references is crazy). Some episodes are awful and I feel cheated and abused.

South Park has one major problem with it: it was never really on TV. I mean it's always been on TV, but it's on Paramount Comedy which even when I had that channel it's buried away there. Never saw it and never got into it.
I'm sure when I finally get around to seeing it I'll enjoy it; I've enjoyed the episodes that I have seen.

My vote goes to The Simpsons though. I stopped watching the new episodes ages ago, so in my head the programme has finished on a high note, and it's not being needlessly flogged.

Futurama would have got my vote though.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
South Park has one major problem with it: it was never really on TV. I mean it's always been on TV, but it's on Paramount Comedy which even when I had that channel it's buried away there. Never saw it and never got into it.
I'm sure when I finally get around to seeing it I'll enjoy it; I've enjoyed the episodes that I have seen.
They actually post all the (full) episodes on their website now South Park Studios. However, I don't know if you'll have access to it from the UK.

Verscha

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
For South Park episodes, try Xepisodes or AllSP. For Family Guy, go to WatchFamilyGuyOnline.

Although some episodes are good to stream, you'll have to wait some 20 minutes for others to load long enough for you to watch them without pauses.

Patience is a virtue.

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Eh, AllSP was cool before they posted them legitimately on the SP website. The episodes there are usually lower video quality, unreliable (sometimes hosted on really slow servers), and you'll have popups and such out your ass. I suppose it might be good if you can't access the regular SP site for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.