The reveal thread

MakABDL

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
Here's an idea i propose: we make a thread explaining ABDL (and reasons for diaper interest) for those that want to open to their folks or loved ones but can't find the words.

I'd say keep a parents and others one free of the term "fetish" though, from my experience, that makes it more comfortable to talk about in that situation. Who is all for it?

Nope! This is a bad idea with a capital B.

ABDL is a fetish at the end of the day, sexual or non-sexual it is an obsession over something unusual and socially deviant that we all share.

While being incon is also a part of this website, you typically do not need to link people here to explain “I wear nappies for medical reasons” and additionally, most people would want to keep that to a need to know basis.

• Love
Reactions: armydipr
Actually, this is a GREAT idea! It will also help to dispel misconceptions like the post above.

DL- Diaper Lover. This is someone who quite literally loves wearing diapers. (And yes, you can love inaminate objects). We are inexplicably compelled to wear diapers. Most also use their diapers, but that isn't a requirement. Not to be confused with a fetish, loving diapers is NOT based on sexuality, but can include it (just like any other love). Embracing this part of who we are can be a very big stress reliever. However, attempting to ignore or deny our need for diapers can be a major source of stress. This has also been well known to bring about what is called a binge-purge cycle, which is phychologically detremental to us.

AB- Adult Baby. This is an adult who has baby tendencies or likes. The amount of likes an AB may have can vary widely, from the occasional pacifier use to full age play with mental regression. Being an AB is usually (but not always) a part of our psyches just as being a DL. It's worth noting you can be strictly AB only, or at a verying degree in conjunctionon with being a DL. I should also stress that being AB means we want to BE the baby, never be WITH real babies. There is absolutely noting pedophile-like with being AB, and our community had been well know to police ourselves in that regard.

Diaper Fetish- This one seems to confuse a lot of people. Going strictly be the textbook definition all fetishes are based on sexuality. Not to be concused with a form of love which can include sexuality at times, a diaper fetishst actually needs diapers (or at least needs to be thinking of them) to achieve orgasm. Wearing a diaper will always produce sexual stimulation as well. While some look down on fetishes in general, most any psychologist will tell you fetishes are a health part of a persons life, and should be embraced when appropriate. This does mean keeping your diaper fetish between you and your partner(s) though. Friends and family do not, and should not, be included in or informed of your diaper fetish.

There are many more sub categories to the overall ABDL community, but this is just to cover the basics. Now that we all understand DL, AB, and Fetish, we can look at when and why to tell others. As mentioned for Fetishes, this one most people can agree should only be shared with your partners. How would you like it if your parents or siblings came to you and started talking about their own kinks and fetishes? You probably wouldn't, so please be kind to others and keep it behind your closed bedroom door.

With abdl, this is a much different case though. This is a literal part of who you are. Everyone close to you has a right to know the full you, and you have the right to still be you around those close to you. So then, who is "close to you". Really only you can determine that. It may be someone you don't even like or know well, yet live in the same house with- as in physically close. It might be someone you hardly ever see, yet have a deep emotional bond with- as in emotionally close. Or it may be anywhere in between that.

So hopefully by now you've figured out what abdl and/or fetish means to you, and you've figured out who should know. But what about why they should know, and what benefit is there to them knowing. Lets start by understanding it is never a question of IF they will find out, but WHEN. From their own benefit, you telling them up front will save them from accidentally stumbing on your "diaper stash" or othewise figuring it out you wear diapers. This will save them from jumping to all kinds of misconclusions about you, and will also save them the embarasement and confusion of having to confront you about it. Another big benefit for them is knowing you trust them with this inner most and vulnerable part of yourself.

Your own benefit of telling them is probably more obvious. There's the stress relief of not worring of being found out, as well as not having to keep everything absolutely secret at all costs. Now depending on your situation you may want to still keep things hidden or out of sight, but at least you won't have to worry about keeping it like some dirty little secret any more. Buying your supplies and disposal will be much easier, as well as wearing around them too (discretely of course). And who knows, they may be more open and acccepting of your abdl side too, which could further your relationship with them and bring you both close still.

Reactions: OmiOMy, JustAFloof and Curiousmess
Slomo said:
Actually, this is a GREAT idea! It will also help to dispel misconceptions like the post above.

DL- Diaper Lover. This is someone who quite literally loves wearing diapers. (And yes, you can love inaminate objects). We are inexplicably compelled to wear diapers. Most also use their diapers, but that isn't a requirement. Not to be confused with a fetish, loving diapers is NOT based on sexuality, but can include it (just like any other love). Embracing this part of who we are can be a very big stress reliever. However, attempting to ignore or deny our need for diapers can be a major source of stress. This has also been well known to bring about what is called a binge-purge cycle, which is phychologically detremental to us.

AB- Adult Baby. This is an adult who has baby tendencies or likes. The amount of likes an AB may have can vary widely, from the occasional pacifier use to full age play with mental regression. Being an AB is usually (but not always) a part of our psyches just as being a DL. It's worth noting you can be strictly AB only, or at a verying degree in conjunctionon with being a DL. I should also stress that being AB means we want to BE the baby, never be WITH real babies. There is absolutely noting pedophile-like with being AB, and our community had been well know to police ourselves in that regard.

Diaper Fetish- This one seems to confuse a lot of people. Going strictly be the textbook definition all fetishes are based on sexuality. Not to be concused with a form of love which can include sexuality at times, a diaper fetishst actually needs diapers (or at least needs to be thinking of them) to achieve orgasm. Wearing a diaper will always produce sexual stimulation as well. While some look down on fetishes in general, most any psychologist will tell you fetishes are a health part of a persons life, and should be embraced when appropriate. This does mean keeping your diaper fetish between you and your partner(s) though. Friends and family do not, and should not, be included in or informed of your diaper fetish.

There are many more sub categories to the overall ABDL community, but this is just to cover the basics. Now that we all understand DL, AB, and Fetish, we can look at when and why to tell others. As mentioned for Fetishes, this one most people can agree should only be shared with your partners. How would you like it if your parents or siblings came to you and started talking about their own kinks and fetishes? You probably wouldn't, so please be kind to others and keep it behind your closed bedroom door.

With abdl, this is a much different case though. This is a literal part of who you are. Everyone close to you has a right to know the full you, and you have the right to still be you around those close to you. So then, who is "close to you". Really only you can determine that. It may be someone you don't even like or know well, yet live in the same house with- as in physically close. It might be someone you hardly ever see, yet have a deep emotional bond with- as in emotionally close. Or it may be anywhere in between that.

So hopefully by now you've figured out what abdl and/or fetish means to you, and you've figured out who should know. But what about why they should know, and what benefit is there to them knowing. Lets start by understanding it is never a question of IF they will find out, but WHEN. From their own benefit, you telling them up front will save them from accidentally stumbing on your "diaper stash" or othewise figuring it out you wear diapers. This will save them from jumping to all kinds of misconclusions about you, and will also save them the embarasement and confusion of having to confront you about it. Another big benefit for them is knowing you trust them with this inner most and vulnerable part of yourself.

Your own benefit of telling them is probably more obvious. There's the stress relief of not worring of being found out, as well as not having to keep everything absolutely secret at all costs. Now depending on your situation you may want to still keep things hidden or out of sight, but at least you won't have to worry about keeping it like some dirty little secret any more. Buying your supplies and disposal will be much easier, as well as wearing around them too (discretely of course). And who knows, they may be more open and acccepting of your abdl side too, which could further your relationship with them and bring you both close still.
Woah, that's a lot of information that explains many things, but I still have a couple of doubts.

The first one might be purely cultural and is: What does "love wearing diapers" actually mean? Where I live, "love" has a very strong meaning and I wouldn't say I love wearing diapers at all. But I still find some kind of attraction to them, so I would say I like them a bit, but I'm far from loving them. Would it still be considered as diaper lover? I'm asking because I have had this cultural clash with "love" in other subjects too. I've seen people from other countries use the word "love" for thing we would simply say "like" around here and this might be the case again.

The other is: Is there a line between AB and not AB? For example, I like a few "baby" things like plushies or onesies, but there are many other things I don't like (on myself, I find some of them cute on others) like pacifiers or ageplaying. Would I be considered an AB? Maybe it's called "soft AB" or something like that?
This reminds me a bit of the eternal discussion of "where is the line between furry and not furry?", where the best answer is "everyone draws the line where they want". Probably the same answer applies here, but I can't tell for sure because I don't know the ABDL community well enough yet.

JustAFloof said:
Woah, that's a lot of information that explains many things, but I still have a couple of doubts.

The first one might be purely cultural and is: What does "love wearing diapers" actually mean? Where I live, "love" has a very strong meaning and I wouldn't say I love wearing diapers at all. But I still find some kind of attraction to them, so I would say I like them a bit, but I'm far from loving them. Would it still be considered as diaper lover? I'm asking because I have had this cultural clash with "love" in other subjects too. I've seen people from other countries use the word "love" for thing we would simply say "like" around here and this might be the case again.

The other is: Is there a line between AB and not AB? For example, I like a few "baby" things like plushies or onesies, but there are many other things I don't like (on myself, I find some of them cute on others) like pacifiers or ageplaying. Would I be considered an AB? Maybe it's called "soft AB" or something like that?
This reminds me a bit of the eternal discussion of "where is the line between furry and not furry?", where the best answer is "everyone draws the line where they want". Probably the same answer applies here, but I can't tell for sure because I don't know the ABDL community well enough yet.
You wouldn't be the first person to ask what is love. Doubt you'll be the last either. It's generally defined as an intense feeling, or attraction. So I'd say it sounds like you still qualify on the attraction part.

If there is a qualifying line for being ab, then it must be a gradual shade if grey that's a mile wide. Let's say you're only 0.1% ab, and 99.9% dl. Well then, you're then still part ab. right? Don't worry about fitting into a label, just figure out how much a label fits you and go with that.

Yeah I had this idea because I want people to have confidence when they're thinking about telling people they trust about this interest, like I did with my folks, A letter was much easier because typing was much easier for me than trying to explain it, I just believe we all need something to help those we trust understand it, to take the weight off our shoulders

Reactions: OmiOMy
Slomo said:
You wouldn't be the first person to ask what is love. Doubt you'll be the last either. It's generally defined as an intense feeling, or attraction. So I'd say it sounds like you still qualify on the attraction part.

If there is a qualifying line for being ab, then it must be a gradual shade if grey that's a mile wide. Let's say you're only 0.1% ab, and 99.9% dl. Well then, you're then still part ab. right? Don't worry about fitting into a label, just figure out how much a label fits you and go with that.
Well, good to know I fall under the category of ABDL. I mainly asked out of pure curiosity and not because I need to know about my labels. I actually stopped caring about labels once I found out how immense the asexual spectrum is and tried to find out at which place of the grey zone between asexual and sexual I am (spoiler: I still don't know and I no longer care about it).

MakABDL said:
Yeah I had this idea because I want people to have confidence when they're thinking about telling people they trust about this interest, like I did with my folks, A letter was much easier because typing was much easier for me than trying to explain it, I just believe we all need something to help those we trust understand it, to take the weight off our shoulders
I would love to have someone in real life that I trust enough to tell about not only this, but many other things, but sadly I don't. Maybe I could tell it to a few of my friends if the right opportunity came and we were talking about quirks we have or weird things we are curious about, but I doubt that will happen.
The other option would be my housemates, but I don't feel confident at all telling them about this for one reason. Not long ago we were watching The Simpsons on TV while having dinner, one of the scenes they were talking about "vices" and one of the secondary characters mentioned that he like dressing like a baby. I looked at my housemates to see how they react to that. One of them had a face of pure disgust and the other shouted "What the fuck?!" in spanish. So yeah... not very confident telling them I'm an ABDL...

I don’t know whether I have a diaper fetish or not. I like wearing diapers. I don’t like going without diapers. Diapers are cute, but also I am attracted to guys who don’t wear diapers. I just think of myself as someone who wears diapers. Is that a fetish? In the end, fetish is just a word. I only share these things with people who are open minded and who I trust, but I’m not going to go without diapers just to please other people.

Sosimo said:
I don’t know whether I have a diaper fetish or not. I like wearing diapers. I don’t like going without diapers. Diapers are cute, but also I am attracted to guys who don’t wear diapers. I just think of myself as someone who wears diapers. Is that a fetish? In the end, fetish is just a word. I only share these things with people who are open minded and who I trust, but I’m not going to go without diapers just to please other people.
There's a clinical definition of fetish that pertains to an item required for sex. This is not the popular definition within the community or even in the mundane world. Words have multiple meanings and usages and while we can discuss which definition is most appropriate, I think it's reasonable to look at how it is generally used in order to talk about it. Within our community, "fetish" is most often taken to mean a strong and pervasive attraction to an item or activity that is often sexual but need not be. The polling I have seen through the years indicates that most of us find this at least a little bit sexual.

If someone wishes to propose that this should be defined in a different way, by all means make the argument and see if people are persuaded. I don't think it makes sense to pretend that there is no disagreement or that there could be no disagreement. This is about people and people are intrinsically messy and all over the map.

By the popular definition of “fetish”, I think many, many people have a “fetish”. Having an interest in one thing or another is a part of many people’s sexuality. Diaper people worry that they are weird, but if everyone’s interests were known, I don’t think diapers would seem that weird.

Sosimo said:
By the popular definition of “fetish”, I think many, many people have a “fetish”. Having an interest in one thing or another is a part of many people’s sexuality. Diaper people worry that they are weird, but if everyone’s interests were known, I don’t think diapers would seem that weird.
This was a substantial message in the book "Perv: The Sexual Deviant in All of Us." While the author didn't mention diapers, he made it clear that many of us (particularly men), have odd affinities and it would be best for everyone if we made an effort to de-stigmatize the ones that aren't harmful.

Slomo said:

The DL part totally describes me lol but the diaper fetish also describes me so kinda confusing so which one am i . i mean i do sometimes masturbate in diapers but sometimes i dont , i just like to wear diapers like they are my underwear though.

MakABDL said:
Here's an idea i propose: we make a thread explaining ABDL (and reasons for diaper interest) for those that want to open to their folks or loved ones but can't find the words.

Also, the answer to the question "should I tell my friends/family/parents" is almost always "no", unless it's a special circumstance.

I see no reason to tell anyone in the real world about my choice of underwear, my wife knows cause she buys my "underwear"

For some of us, it can get to the point where hiding diapers from everyone is getting to be a lot of work, and making it harder to enjoy life. So, I think, sometimes it does make sense to open up to a few people. But you have to be careful.

irnub said:

Also, the answer to the question "should I tell my friends/family/parents" is almost always "no", unless it's a special circumstance.

I made this idea thread more or less to help people that are in My circumstance where i can trust my folks, But I want a way to break it to them gently without totally screwing it up and causing a complete opposite reaction

MrPurple said:
Nope! This is a bad idea with a capital B.

ABDL is a fetish at the end of the day, sexual or non-sexual it is an obsession over something unusual and socially deviant that we all share.

While being incon is also a part of this website, you typically do not need to link people here to explain “I wear nappies for medical reasons” and additionally, most people would want to keep that to a need to know basis.

100% agreed! Take great care in any coming out situation. Kid down the street got psyched up in coming out day hype last month, his parents weren't ready to accept a gay son and he stepped out in front of a fast train near my house. All the current pride push in the media claimed another young life.

I wouldn’t blame the media. I certainly wouldn’t blame the kid. I’d blame his parents.

The way the public preseaves us is VERY NEGATIVE .
Telling anyone "hay, I like diapers" is inviting disaster .

In my part of the country, it's still considered perfectly acceptable to go "gay bashing" 🤬 ... I dread to think what would happen if folks found out I was a "sick perverted weirdo" - and a lot of you should know that AB/DLs frequently get labeled as pedophiles by the public.

Sometimes I wonder why people hate "perverts" so much, to the point they encourage physical violence against them.

Gay bashing is never acceptable, no matter where you are and no matter what people think. I know there is a lot more homophobia in some places. That never makes it acceptable.

Some people are more thoughtful than others. You do have to be careful who you trust. When we put our trust in someone we shouldn’t, it can end badly, even in tragedy.

People who are racist, homophobic, etc., or just plain mean, are not people I would share this with, or even associate with. And, honestly, the older I get, the more I know who I can trust.

But I have come out about diapers with several people that I know, who are not DLs, and there has been no problem. I won’t apologize for being a DL.

Yes, we have to be careful who we share these things with. We have to look out for ourselves. But we do not have to live in fear.

Back