The joy of medium capacity nappies

PCS

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
After years and years of experimentation, I have come to the conclusion that my favourite nappies are not the ones which have insane levels of absorbency that will last all day, but nappies that can take about three large wettings (or more smaller ones) and that then start to get a bit soggy and need to be changed.

I speak specifically of the Abena L4/Drylife X-Plus, the Molicare Slip Maxi and to some extent the slightly more SAP-rich Formacare X3 and Drylife Slip Super.

I think that this is because they more authentically mimic the performance of high performance nappies of the late 80s/ early 90s rather than the SAP-rich offerings of the present day that will swell and just keep on going.

I think there are a number of reasons for this preference:

1. They feel, act and perform more like the nappies I wore as a child with more pul

2. Variety is the spice of life- having to change means that you can wear more types of nappy
in a day on a day when I can wear “all day”.

3. When wearing overnight, they don’t feel “wasted” in the morning if there has only been one or two “accidents” in the night.

4. They wick better. Rather than concentrating everything into a massive swollen front, they wick around the back, giving the classic “wet bottom” feeling that is so evocative.

More frequent changes are probably also a little more hygienic!

Reactions: KCA, Wearing247 and Sidewinder
This is why NS supreme lite is one of my favorites. If it just had a bit more fiber pulp to sap ratio it would be even better.

I am in total agreement with you PCS I am a 90s kid and the mid capacity Nappies remind me of the younger years around 2002-2005 pampers size 6 was my perfect nappy it was a good fit, wicked well and had a lovely sag and wet bottom feeling to enjoy as a DL these had me very happy so adult versions like ABU Kiddos, BareBum, Pre-Schools are perfect same with Tykables Overnights are a good option to replicate the thicker night time Huggies varieties we used to get

My favorite medium capacity diaper is the Seni Super Plus diaper in regular size. It is my primary daytime diaper. I can get through the day with as few as 2 diapers. Most days, I go through 3 Seni Super Plus diapers and 1 overnight diaper. The overnight diaper is a Seni Quatro during the warmer months and I use a Dry 24/7 diaper during the colder months.

PCS said:
I have come to the conclusion that my favourite nappies are ... [the ones] that can take about three large wettings and that then start to get a bit soggy and need to be changed.
1. They feel, act and perform more like the nappies I wore as a child with more pulp
2. Variety is the spice of life
4. They wick ... around the back, giving the classic “wet bottom” feeling that is so evocative.
For me it depends. For everyday use and practical reasons I agree. DryLife and FormaCare are in my stash, too, together with Seguna and Lille. They are enough for convenience and pleasure.
But when I really have the time for an extended session, I like to fully bloat a BetterDry and enjoy the bulge. As you said - variety is the spice of life 😜

It's also worth noting, too, that even the high capacity ones have their limits, too,

I’m in the very same boat with this one! I have always worn super thick diapers with huge capacities, and have recently gravitated toward wanting a thinner product that I can enjoy “on the go.” The main issue being that I never seem to get full use out of the heavier products due to time constraints.

Most recently, I tried Tena Ultima’s PE backed product, as I was a huge fan of the old plastic Maxi. I have to say that the newer Ultimas are pretty great, and check all of the above discussed boxes as far as something comfortable, functional, and still offering great protection.

The other advantage is that you can have fun wearing them out, and don’t have to worry about wearing larger clothing to hide the secret. A great example is travel through airports/planes, you can have a good time without hiding a pillow between your legs, possibly needing a larger pant size.

Yes, the higher capacity medical nappies like Drylife and Tena Maxi/Ultima certainly tick this box, offering reasonable discretion while still retaining the possibility to “use” them multiple times.

I also like getting them wet throughout rather than massively swollen up in the front and the back half dry, with higher capacity brands you can only really achieve that by wetting lying down.

While I like getting the most bang for my buck, super-high capacity diapers aren't really a must for me either. I tend to start feeling icky after the third wetting.

Personally, I split diapers into 4 category performance tiers:

Lower/Budget Tier: Depends, store brands, cheap medical grade brands

Mid Tier: Tranquility ATN and similar products

Premium: Abena M/L4, Molicare,etc.

SUPER Premium: Northshore Megamax, Dry 24/7 etc

Reactions: Canadianfalls, DprEffect and Seasonedcitizen
Agreed. And personally I'm not a huge fan over the insane swell the high capacity nappies have when used to capacity or near. And for me, changing is all part of the fun!

I agree, I am not incontinent so I am aware of my wetting and not worried about leaking, unless i want to. I also like to change multiple times into different diapers. I like changing its fun. Don’t get me wrong, I also have the diapers that can handle the mother load when needed.

Reactions: Canadianfalls
I enjoy a NS Lite when lounging around, but a thicker diaper for "personal" activities. I also use the Lites for overnight with a booster when I'm low on night-time diapers.

Back