The First Presidential Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FullMetal

So, just a few moments ago, the first presidential debate took place between both senators: McCain and Obama

I was just wondering a few questions, and I would also like to have a mini debate over other members opinions. As we saw, both senators held their ground pretty well, but:

Where do you think they messed up?

What were they wrong about?

Did this change your vote?

How do you feel your candidate stands and what benefit would he have on our economy and our foreign policy?

Since I was in the middle, I do believe that Senator Obama has my vote as of now. I liked his focus on how the people of this nation (not only the top 5% of wealth) should get a break in tax deductions. I also feel that his war policies are right on target and he is not afraid to do what is necessary if a problem arises with Iran and Russia. I also lost much faith in McCain just because he kept on saying the same thing OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. It became really irritating. Another issue was the fact that Obama tried to find common ground with McCain and agreed with him over somethings and made some tweeqs but McCain always disagreed and was extremely close minded.

What do you think?

FullMetal

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I thought McCain said he wasn't going to do the debate because of the economy or something...But whatever...I saw like 5 minutes of it, and then I got bored and watched Spongebob >.>

Takkun

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
I only semi-paid attention to it. Pretty much nothing could change my mind about me Baracking the Vote, so it was just something I was only idly watching.

I did notice McCain was extremely long-winded, while Barack was more straight forward, and didn't pussy-foot around.

I should watch the next ones more closely though, I really would like to add more, I was just distracted. My cousin's baby was cuter than either candidate lol

EDIT: @ Pojo: Because of the bailout, McCain said they should wait for the debate, Barack called him on it, and said the President should be able to focus his attention on more than one thing, and politely declined to re-schedule. McCain finally announced this morning he would do the debate, because the people running the show in Congress said they didn't need McCain.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I didn't see the debate but would like to put in my :twocents: about the state of the contry and the presidental election.

As it stands now if I could vote I would vote for Obama. I think that anyone that backs Bush in anything as much as McCain does needs to have their head examened and I just don't think McCain is the kind of person we need right now.

Obama has empressed me ever since he made his speech at the DNC. I think he is a great speaker and much better then McCain. Another thing that I like is that like McCain Obama is runing ads that attacks McCain and thats just how the election works but the one thing that really impressed me was an ad I saw of Obama's were he is sitting infount of the camera and just talking about what he plans to do as president and I like that.

I will admit that I do think Obama has his issues but compared to McCain he's a saint.

d4l

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Other
I only saw a part of it as i had errands to run. But based on what i saw Obama seemed to have much more self confidence than McCain and was much more direct in his answers.

As far as the issues go I still hold the same views as i did before.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
It might be my right-wing mindset, but I thought that McCain did an extremely good job holding up beside Obama, who I will consider one of the greatest orators our generation will likely every see.

What needs be remembered is that, at the heart of it all, McCain played the role of a debator, and Obama played the role of a salesman. For as much as I respect Obama, his self-confidence did nothing to instill in me the feeling that he would be a solid representative for our country. I found that McCain's rebuttals were marshaled much more often with supported fact. McCain's manner also won me over with him -- while Obama was flashing these slight smirks and interrupting McCain with "John--," I found that the speaker in him had given way to someone who felt like a more impatient child not getting his way. McCain, however, either watched his opponent or the moderator and seemed to uphold what felt like a more chivalrous code of debate.

I felt as though McCain was more well-versed on his responses and was able to disseminate the information of his proposals to me in a much more understandable way than Obama. Obama, for as talented a speaker as he is, did not shine with the usual glow that he seems to have when speaking on a podium all his own, and I felt many times in the debate that he was grabbing the informative coat-tails of his opponent and trying to launch himself forward in front of the points that McCain was bringing forward.

While Obama continuously made what I considered egotistical comments regarding his future presidency ("When I become president, I reserve the right to meet with anyone I desire"), McCain refrained from these and stuck away from trying to sell me his speech and instead give me what I wanted: the knowledge that, in the debate, he felt like the Alpha with the information he needed to have, and was aware of the limitations that will accompany his potential office. Unfortunately for Obama, the President won't get to do everything he desires.

Check, check, check those balances.

My final thoughts?

McCain renewed my faith that he will be able to hold his own against Obama in open debate. I questioned his ability to speak against someone as well-spoken as Obama, but he did my heart as a Republican a lot of pride.

Obama, however captivating he always is as a speaker, loses a modicum of charisma when he is left outside of the devices of a written speech. However more able to flow he was with his language than McCain, I still did not feel as though he could master the concepts of policy that McCain brought forth to support his angles.

I give this one to McCain.

g6s

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I wasn't sure where this debate was going until the very end, when Obama said something to the effect of: I don't want to lose in Iraq, I want to spread our resources to take on the rest of the challenges the Republicans have been ignoring.

McCain's rebuttal was literally to repeat the Barack Obama had no experience six times. SIX TIMES! I've never seen someone so speechless in a presidential debate.

McCain did good, and he's changed my views on a few things. Its scary to think Obama would authorize attacks into an ally's nation without thier approval, but its equally scary that John McCain said that "a president's gotta do what he's gotta do... attacking inside Pakistani, that's not something you say aloud."

It looks like the democrats are going to benefit, but it wont be by much. Neither side had the "wow effect."

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
I just watched it on YouTube, and hot damn! McCain got D-O-M-I-N-A-T-E-D!
I have to agree. I don't really see how anyone can say McCain won. He had a few good points here and there, but Obama's points were better. McCain also seemed very awkward as Obama was talking. (not that I'd be any less nervous in such a situation myself). There were also a few times where McCain twisted Obama's words.... I didn't see Obama doing any of that (feel free to correct me if I missed something though). Obama tries to do things respectfully, but McCain resorts to generalization, false statements, and common political tricks.

I guess no one truly wins a debate though. If someone agrees with one candidate, then there's a high chance he will just say that person won.

To tell the truth though.... I don't think McCain would be half as bad if he hadn't picked Palin. He became 5x worse to me when he picked her. I wish he had just picked Romney. (This is coming from someone who supported & voted for Hillary, so I'm not sexist)

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
During the debate, I was at work with the TV turned to CNN. With the exception of one break, I was glued to the TV waiting to hear a solid and direct answer on something important, such as the economy, war in Iraq, or the budget. Of the people that I have discussed the debate, none indicated that this debate really did anything to change their opinion. As for me, I was disappointed.

IMHO, this debate was was a failed debate. Neither candidate gave solid answers to the questions. John McCain indicated several times that Obama opposed certain things (nuclear energy was one). Obama only intergected that he did not have the opinion that McCain was indicating and did not allow McCain to provide the information used to reach that conclusion. I, for one, would like to know how both candidates have voted on renewable and nuclear energy bills. What has each candidate done to change our dependance upon foreign oil? What has each candidate done to allow our current budget deficiet? At this time, which party controls the Senate and House of Representatives? The President cannot declare war or set the budget. Congress has the power of the treasury purse.

As for our current economic situation, wall street has had free reign for years without worry of any major punishment for wrongdoing. Neither candidate gave any opinion of the current bank bail out plan or thoughts on preventing this in the future. Seven hundered BILLION is a huge sum of money to be giving to the people who helped bring our county into this economic disaster.

As for what each candidate plans to change if elected, I still have little clue. Obama wants national health care, McCain wants to veto every bill with "earmarks", and both have discussed lowering taxes. I sincerely doubt either candidate will live up to these promises. Well, the lower tax thing is possible, but neither will fix the current tax code to be fair to all. Too bad Social Security has taken a back burner in the current debates. How many other national issues have remained untouched?

Hopefully, the next debate will shed some more light on where the candidates stand on the issues. So far, all I have seen is McCain is a top shelf politician, and Obama is an excellent orator. Either way, we won't have another 4 years of speeches from President Bush!

Role
Diaper Lover
For anyone who cares about my opinion (I don't post much here), I didn't watch it because I thought it was a bit pointless (I'm voting for McCain). Why I say its pointless is because it won't change my opinion on issues, kind of like political commercials.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Did anyone happen to notice the part where Obama pointed out that under McCain's tax policy those persons whose healthcare is provided by their employer would have to pay taxes on this healthcare?

Example.... let's say I make 30,000 a year... and I get healthcare which costs my company 5000 a year. Under McCain's plan I would be taxed on 35,000 worth of income... not the 30,000 in cash I actually make.

That is a huge HUGE problem and I think McCain tried to sweep it under the rug really really fast.

Ace

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I did watch the debate and although my mind had already been made up as to who I was voting for and nothing could change it, I think McCain did quite well. This debate was supposed to be mostly on foreign policy and that is one of McCains stronger topics and one which Obama has no experience. I think Obama came off as rather smug and elitist, all you had to do was watch his expressions and body language to see this.

Also, Obama was not exactly correct when he outlined some of his plans. Sure, he said that 95% of americans get a tax break. This is not true, under Obama's plan only american's earning less than $45,000 a year get a break. I don't know too many people that make $50,000 that would consider themselves rich. McCain is exactly right, everyone get's a tax break. McCain also did quite a bit better than I would have thought, he came off as vibrant and energetic, not a tired old man that Bob Dole came off looking like back in 1996 and I think he showed that he has the ability and experience to lead.

Thallis

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I think Obama came off as rather smug and elitist, all you had to do was watch his expressions and body language to see this.
I don't see what's wrong with being an elitist, We need a President who is better than the vast majority of Americans.

dpr_fox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Carer, Other, Private
I find it very interesting how much variation there is in the opinions of how the debate went. It seems primarily influenced by one's expectations and hopes going into the debate, and a desire to use the information presented to reinforce one's view of the political situation.

Personally I'm not a fan of the whole two-party system and I try to take a step back and look at both sides with equal criticism whenever possible :detective3:. I've noticed that the same variations of opinion on how the debate went were present in the media as well. The most interesting part of the night for me was flipping between the different news stations immediately following the debate to see what they were saying about what they had just seen - before they have a chance to weigh public opinion, run their thoughts through teams of staff writers, etc. Not surprisingly, different stations had different outlooks on how the debate went, who "won", what each candidate's strenghts & weaknesses were, etc.

While I don't feel the debate changed my opinion on who I'm voting for in the upcoming election, I feel it reinforced my issues with BOTH candidates. Why can't America produce a candidate that has all the correct answers? :educate: (aka all the answers that are in MY head of course!)

Say what you will, I'm not sure how much of an impact the debate is going to have on the outcome of the election - the nation seems as divided as ever and judging by the opinions on this board alone, few people seem like they are likely to change their vote at this point. I'm hoping that no matter who gets elected, that we can start coming together and dealing with the issues, rather than the politics. :hug: The next few months should be interesting either way.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Also, Obama was not exactly correct when he outlined some of his plans. Sure, he said that 95% of americans get a tax break. This is not true, under Obama's plan only american's earning less than $45,000 a year get a break. I don't know too many people that make $50,000 that would consider themselves rich.
Funny... The vast majority of Americans make under $45,000 a year. If I made $50k a year I sure would consider myself rich. It's all about living within your means. Now you can't raise 4 kids and have your Escalade and suburbian McMansion on $50k a year... so those people might not consider themselves as doing very well... but making more than $4000 a month is a shitload of money.

Obama's plan is all about helping the little guy... the people that have been hurt most by this economic crisis. There are far more "little guys" out there than any of us imagine. Obviously the Bush administration's policy of big breaks to big companies and hoping for a trickle-down effect didn't work... so now we need to give the breaks to people at the bottom and see if it will work its way up.

teddy564339

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I only saw the first 45 minutes of the debate...but I've found myself irritated with debates themselves. Both candidates didn't answer a lot of the questions when they were asked...they said a bunch of other stuff first and eventually got around to answering the questions. In addition, it seemed like there was a lot of argument over the facts...from the debate itself, you couldn't tell who was telling the truth.

And like a few others have pointed out...I'm not putting too much weight into what's said by either candidate. They can say a lot of things now, but when they're in office a lot of it probably won't get done.

I do think that I'm going to vote for Obama, though. He's saying a lot of things that sound good, and if he can back up at least some of it when he's in office, I think he'll be better than McCain. But...I don't think there's a vast difference in the quality of the two. They both have strengths and weaknesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.