The Euro 2008 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Poor Italy, I feel like we are leaving the tournament.
Refere was against us today. 1 regular goal deleted and 1 penalty created.

Thx to our goalkeeper.
That penalty was just. Holding someone around the neck there is a legit call for a penalty.

4-1 For the Netherlands!!!
I lost my voice now though. :D

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The way your lads play really makes for exciting matches, Martin. I think I'm going to adopt then for the tournament - wonderful technical ability throughout the midfield and attack, a good progressive mentality coupled with the ability to play on the counter and loads of great goals, it's all you can look for in a team. I would worry about them going all the way and winning the thing because they are vulnerable at the back - France squandered quite a few chances today - but the great thing about them is that they always carry a goal threat and have a 'you score three, we'll score four' sort of spirit. If they don't win it's a fair bet that they will go out in entertaining fashion.

Two great games today anyhow and Romania are doing themselves proud as well.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
The group stages have been great though. I missed Saturday's games ('cause I was at a sixties themed birthday party, which is another story...) but Turkey - Czech Republic yesterday was fantastic, you couldn't ask for many more dramatic twists to a game in the dying stages. I was just wishing for the Czechs to level it right at the end so we would see an outfield player in goal for a penalty shoot out that decided who goes through. That would have to be a first in European Championship history.

There have been loads of great games generally as well; whenever the Dutch have been on the pitch, Croatia have been very good to watch, Spain too, and the drama and tension of Austria being able to put Germany out tonight. Nothing in sport can match football at it's best like this. Just wish England were there.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Watching Austria and Germany now. Man, when will the freaking group stage end already?
IIRC Wednesday is the last day

There have been loads of great games generally as well; whenever the Dutch have been on the pitch, Croatia have been very good to watch, Spain too, and the drama and tension of Austria being able to put Germany out tonight. Nothing in sport can match football at it's best like this. Just wish England were there.
Well Tuesday you're going to get the best of both :p though I think the Dutch are going to take it easy.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I think it'll be the toughest game you've had so far. Croatia are really well organised and have a defence that doesn't need to oiled before the game (ie not ridiculously old and slow) unlike France and Italy. You would expect the Dutch flair and movement to overcome them eventually but your own defence is a tad vulnerable to counter attacks and I think it might be a slightly more nervy affair.

Germany - Austria seems chugging along pretty predictably at the moment.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Well it'd actually be good if they beat us as that would knock out France AND Italy.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Erm, you know, I have just realised that you're playing Romania, not Croatia tomorrow. Still, what I was going to say still more or less stands.

Namely, that there could very well be quite a few Italian and French conspiracy theorists out in force if the Netherlands do lose. Particularly if, like Scolari did, Van Basten picks a weakened team. Course the Dutch could quite reasonably say that they've earned the right to do what they want and play as they like, having already qualified, but it would be tumultuous nonetheless.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
I'm not awake. I've had a long day and Croatia sounded about right.

Choosing a B team has more advantages for the Netherlands then only to knock out France and Italy. That way you give your reserve players some extra practice and you spare your good players from having to play an other match. So I'd think it's a smart idea to play with B team if just to give them some practice and to spare your standard (A) team.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
ahahahahaha
Good Job Netherlands! And good Job Italy!
Now we are passed eheh! let's hope we could reach the final!

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
You know what Johan Cruijff called you guys here. "Lifters die op de bagagedrager meeliften." (Hitchhikers that came with us in our baggage area.) :p

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
so, the first semi-final is Germany - Turckey.

I must thanks Turkey because I've won 20 euros thanks to his victory against croatia (a bet). ahahahah

TOAccountant

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
The Germany/Turkey game should be no problem for Germany due to Turkey having 4 starters benched with cards. Spain/Russia looks intresting. My hope Germany to win it. They are always the team I go for. My family are big England and Italy supporters but now only Germany is left (yay).

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
OK, well, I was just on facebook and it seems as if the final is today. Finally! I'm more in Olympic mode now.

But for now, let's watch Spain beat germany, shall we?

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Spain won. Where is your God now, peachy?
I'm not religious, so I'm afraid I cannot answer that. All I know is that the Soccer God must have had Paella for lunch! :wallbash:

Peachy

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Spain were definitely worthy winners. They were the most consistently entertaining and effective team and the only team who deserved to win every match they played. It's all down to that midfield: Xavi, Fabregas, Senna (who I thought was particularly excellent), Iniesta, Silva, Alonso - so much depth and quality there and some beautiful passers of the ball who facilitated much of their intelligent play. Germany, to be frank, only really played well well against Portugal and were perhaps a little fortunate with their fixtures in getting to the final. Overall, I thought the tournament was one of the best in long time even if I didn't have a vested interest as none of the Home Nations qualified.

Oh, and also:
In terms of predictions - Germany will get to the final along with Italy or Spain and I'll go with Spain to win it but it could easily be any of them.
Clearly, I am some kind of footballing genius. If only I had put a bet on...

Status
Not open for further replies.