The Euro 2008 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little
Russia lost to Spain. Old keepers don't say anything. We have the oldest but best keeper of the world.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Portugal got the best of the Czechs. That's too bad. I'd want to see them advance. Up next, I'll watch Switzerland host Turkey in Basel. Hoping for the upset, don't know about you.

Turkey beats Switzerland 2:1 on a stoppage goal. What a match, though. The pitch at Basel was all waterlogged and uneven in parts.

Looks like the Swiss are out. Damn! I really enjoyed these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Poor switzerland, they are out. I hoped they could pass. In the end I can say they are our "cousins"

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Cousins? How are they Italy's cousins? Bet it sucks for them though that as host country you go out so early.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, some cantons in Switzerland speak Italian.

On somewhat of a tangent: as I am more club than country, EURO 2008 has really made me interested in the club scene in these countries. I.e., OK, team A and team B are having a match at Stade XYZ, but which domestic club plays at XYZ? What is the significance of all these venues? I find it fascinating. I'll bring a raincoat if I ever see FC Basel, though! lol. That was one hell of a storm during Turkey-Swizterland! Stupid ball!

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Ah.

Yea, they could almost call it a water polo match in stead of a soccer match.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Croatia were excellent today (sorry Peachy!). Not many big names but they worked really well as a team and played some decent stuff. Bilić will have done his reputation a world of good and I wouldn't be surprised to see him poached by a big club after the tournament. I'm sure Germany will still go through though and it might actually help them to shake off any complacency.

Shame about the Swiss going out but it was always on the cards and it looks like Austria will be going the same way. It's always nice to see host nations doing well as it helps the atmosphere of a tournament but it was always a risk when you chose two nations who aren't exactly footballing powerhouses.

The best performances so far have been by the Dutch and the Spanish who have both put on terrific performances but it's all looking very open at this stage. Exciting stuff.

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Penalty given against Poland in stoppage.

EDIT: And Austria levels it 1-1 at +3:00

EDIT: Poland 1:1 Austria FT (stoppage approx 4'15)

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Good work Austria! But if Austria pass means elimination of Germany.
I think none of organizators countries will pass to the quarters

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Yeah, that's a shame. On the up, Man U got in to the Club World Cup. I wish they'd reorganize that though. Seems like no one pays heed to the CWC.

Dash

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I spent half of my shift on Wednesday night watching the Czech Republic get humped. Happy times :)

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Croatia were excellent today (sorry Peachy!). Not many big names but they worked really well as a team and played some decent stuff.
That's quite normal for a German team to do poorly on the second game of a tournament. We always go on a high after racing through the first game (like the 8-0 in the first game of the WOrld Cup 2002), and then we hit rock bottom in the 2nd or third game. Nothing we couldn't rebound from ;) As you said: It sets our players' heads straight!

Peachy

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Poor Italy, I feel like we are leaving the tournament.
Refere was against us today. 1 regular goal deleted and 1 penalty created.

Thx to our goalkeeper.

crash632

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I must say, despite the scoreline, the match was quite a thriller...Brilliant save by Buffon though!

Status
Not open for further replies.