The Euro 2008 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
Today marks the beginning of the world's third largest sports event: The European Soccer Championship, or just Euro 2008 for short. It's held in Austria and Switzerland this time.

So I think we need an official Euro 2008 thread on Adisc, even though this may not be relevant to too many of our members because (obviously) the U.S., Canada and Australia can't take part and England failed to qualify. Still, for those members whose countries did qualify, or for anyone else with an interest in the tournament, here's the place to talk about it.

Over here in Germany, the Euro2008 is a big event for two reasons:
(1) We're rated the top team with the higest chance of winning the tournament, and
(2) people here remember the great emotions and all the fun from two years ago when Germany hosted the soccer World Cup. Back then, the entire country went crazy with soccer and millions of people watched the matches on big screens in public, German flags were completely sold out because people suddenly started decorating everything with flags (even though no one's ever dared waving a German flag until then). In addition, our economy finally came out of a 5-year depression in exactly those 4 weeks of the World Cup in 2006 for some strange reason.

Time for kick off! :D

Peachy

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Come On Poland!!

Football isn't really football without angry, boisterous England fans. :p

I don't follow football anyway...

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Monday our first match with Netherlands. I'll be in front of TV watching it.

I remember 2 years ago when we won the World Cup :king: (yes, we are World Champions!!!)
and I want to revive these feelings; but I can't remember which teams we defeated in semi-final and Final :)D).

I've heard there are 5 favourite teams: Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal.
But, you know, In the end there can be only one!

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
Deutschland! Deutschland! Deutschland! :germany: :D

Peachy

Banned
Role
Greece..woo.
We won last time, but I deem it nigh impossible to get the same streak of luck as then.
(2004..wow, time goes by..or was it 2006? o_O)
2004 - I still remember that. Every Greek restaurant was closed for days (they probably got plastered on Ouzo :D). The former coach of my favorite soccer club (Rehagel) must have done an excellent job back then.

Peachy

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little

I remember 2 years ago when we won the World Cup :king: (yes, we are World Champions!!!)
and I want to revive these feelings; but I can't remember which teams we defeated in semi-final and Final :)D).

I've heard there are 5 favourite teams: Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal.
You bet ya I'll be doing the same.

Kams

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur
I'll try to take some footage off al the crazy fans and events while I'm in Germany this month for my class trip! :tongueout:

Role
Private

Ugh, damn Italy beating out Australia in the World Cup.

You guys def' cheated. :sweatdrop:

Peachy

Banned
Role
I'll try to take some footage off al the crazy fans and events while I'm in Germany this month for my class trip! :tongueout:
You better hope we're still in the tournament by the time you get here! In the past two European championships, we were kicked out really early in the tournament - quite a big embarrassment, to be honest.

And Lukie: Italy kicked us out too. [insert KillerPeach (TM) face here!]

Peachy

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
we were kicked out really early in the tournament - quite a big embarrassment, to be honest.
I remember the 2 lines that constantly were yelled by everyone here.

Schade Deutchland, alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei, alles ist vorbei.
(just hope I didn't spell it wrong)

Last edited:

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I remember in 2000 we were eliminated in final by France thanks a golden goal scored by Trezeguet. In 2004 we were eliminated early, not passed to quarts.

I hope we could do like France in 1998 e 2000: First World Cup, Then Euro 2000

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
In general, I don't like how everyone follows UEFA and seems not to care about non-European football. I live in CONCACAF, and my league is MLS. However, football is football, and I am excitedly watching Euro 08. I am mostly behind Sweden, but as a kid I followed the Dutch, and for whatever reason, I am curious about the Swiss team. They seem to be in the news a lot lately, like they are an up-and-comer.

I am currently watching the Germany-Poland match, and was watching Croatia-Austria earlier.

I'm kind of a club-over-country sort of guy, but this tourney is of interest. Can't wait for the group stage to progress.

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
I don't follow any thing other then the European Cup and the World Cup and I don't even follow those very well.

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I've managed to catch most of the games so far and I would say it's been a steady start, no upsets yet but some decent games. It's a bit odd not having any of the Home Nations involved but at least I don't have to foolishly get my hopes up to see them dashed by England going out to Portugal again. I've got the Netherlands in a sweepstake so I suppose I'll be supporting them but I'd also like the Spanish to do well; they play some lovely stuff and they're due a bit of luck. In terms of predictions - Germany will get to the final along with Italy or Spain and I'll go with Spain to win it but it could easily be any of them.

Today should be interesting and we'll hopefully see some tighter games but I expect Italy and France to just about come out with wins, though I think Romania might surprise a few people and I'm obviously hoping for a Dutch victory.

Peachy

Banned
Role
In terms of predictions - Germany will get to the final along with Italy or Spain and I'll go with Spain to win it but it could easily be any of them.
Aww...but you must have forgotten what Gary Lineker once pointed out:
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." :D

Peachy

Martin

Est. Contributor
Role
Well, we just whooped Italy's ass big time. Especially considering that they are the world Champion. 3-0

Hup Holland Hup!

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm waiting for Sweden-Greece. Then I might cool it until the following weekend. New England Revolution plays Houston Dynamo at the University of Houston on thursday on ESPN2. Gotta get my fill of domestic soccer, too. Be a good match, too. 1st in the strong east vs. 2nd in a parity-driven western confeence of MLS.

I have a love-hate relationship with the group stage of any tourney. On one hand, it creates some interesting scenarios. On the other, it drags on and on. Even I can't do football 24/7. But I do wonder if the Dutch can continue to be so dynamic. I hope so. I also miss the Eredivisie.

Target

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Well, we just whooped Italy's ass big time. Especially considering that they are the world Champion. 3-0

Hup Holland Hup!
Terrible Match in my opinion. Our gameplay was horrible, like 11 statues instead of 11 player.... But there are 2 maches left, so we can pass (I hope)

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
The swedes beat the greeks today. The Greeks were worse than the Swedes were good. The keeper blew it. He looked old, anyhow. And Russia lost big-time to somebody. I don't know about their national team, but I like their domestic clubs, at least at the UEFA level. I'd love to see an RPL match at Luzhniki.

Status
Not open for further replies.