Finished The dark day.

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Summary: Having known each other for only one year, fourteen year olds Owen Roberts and Jake Patterson had the friendship that seemed to span decades. Yet on this day, their friendship would be put to the test. Would the 'fish out of the water' and the 'loner' survive the darkest day of their lives, or would their bond be shattered into pieces forever?

The Dark Day

Everything was deadly still. Above me, eerie ghostly sounds of creaking wood and settling debris was a haunting reminder of what had just happened. I didn't dare to open my eyes, because I knew that if I did, I would regret it. After drawing a deep breath I cautiously moved my arms and legs to make sure they were still there and working as they should.

“Owen?” A gentle voice called out from next to me, but it seemed to be hundreds of miles away.

“Yeah, Jake. I'm here.” I called back. “You okay?” I asked, still keeping my eyes closed.

“I-I think so; my heads aching pretty good though...” Jake trailed off as a gust of wind blew down into the basement that we used as a shelter. It was only then that I dared to open my eyes and look around. Nothing looked like it did. A formerly open space that was used as a game room had been turned into a disaster zone; there were no stairs leading up to the first floor of the house, ceiling and wall panels had been ripped away and strewn about, the couch that was in the center of the space was now blocking the doorway of the small bathroom Jake and I huddled in. A few fading spots of light pierced the darkness, until a new light flickered to life. This one, though, was brighter, more defined.

I turned to my left to find Jake moving into a crouching position with a high intensity search light in his hands. In the pale glow of the light I found Jake's young face appearing older, perhaps more hardened. Tufts of yellow blond hair was stained red from a long gash on the center-left side of his forehead, trickles of blood dripped down onto his face and dark blue shirt.

“God what I mess...” I had to force myself to chuckle as I reached for a large blue metal box with a red cross on the lid. After opening it, I pulled several sterilized packs of gauze and applied them gently but firmly to the wound on Jake's head. This was followed by a few rounds of sports wrap to keep everything in place until proper help could be found.

Once he was patched up, both of us stood making sure to avoid low lying rubble and carefully made our way over the couch on our way to the missing stare case and the accompanying gaping hole in the floor.

“How do you suppose we get up?” He asked.

“Like this...” I grinned and reached over to a book case laying on its side, and with a few grunts and some foul language, I managed to upright the shelving unit until it was perched at an odd angle on the wall. I watched as Jake slowly but surely made it up the awkward transition then disappeared from view. Then I started to slowly climb the side of the unit, my sandals making it a little harder as they didn't have the grip that Jake's boots did; almost at the gouge in the floor above me, his arm came back down and grabbed the back of my shirt helping me the rest of the way up.

What I saw next made me wish I'd stayed in the basement. Standing by each others side, we glanced around to find darkening skies, lightning flashing on the distance, thunder rumbling over the horizon, and six houses on the street completely leveled to their foundations.

“Dude...” Jake gasped as he spun around, his expression and body language revealing the true levels of his shocked surprise. “...where's my house!?!”

“Where's your house?” I asked just as dumbfounded as him. “Where's the neighborhood?”

A sudden low groaning creaking sound echoed below us. Jake and I instantly glanced at each other. Barely audible cracking wood rang out. Within seconds we ran as fast as possible over the broken and twisted remains of the home; it wasn't until we were on grass and dirt that we stopped and looked back just in time to see the pile of rubble falling into the basement with a thunderous roar and plumes of dust billowing upwards. Without warning, Jake sat down on the grass then drew his knees to his chest and stared blankly at the empty space where his home once stood. Not knowing what else to do, I sat down beside him and put my hand on his shoulder.

No matter how many times I closed my eyes hoping that I would wake up and have to get ready for school or to find out I had dozed off in Jake's living room, I knew that every time I would open my eyes, I'd see that the nightmare was only beginning.

Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Private
-"Finished stories"
But still, nice job OP.
Such a nice job that somewhere out there (as in right here), there is a college student up WAY past his bedtime clapping softly at this work of art.
TL;DR: Moar pls.

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
-"Finished stories"
But still, nice job OP.
Such a nice job that somewhere out there (as in right here), there is a college student up WAY past his bedtime clapping softly at this work of art.
TL;DR: Moar pls.
Thanks for the comments. :) Yes I'm in the process of posting the entire story in *this* forum but I'm spacing it out every hour or so otherwise it'll turn into one huge post instead of smaller individual posts. :)

- - - Updated - - -

One year earlier.

Culture shock.

That's the only phrase that seemed to fit the situation. The urban sprawl that I was accustomed to was replaced with a small town way of life. Traffic jams and graffiti gave way to two lane roads and endless expanses of grassy fields. Even the air was cleaner. From my perch in the passenger seat of moms silver Dodge Ram, I watched everything happening around us while she stood between the truck and a pair of gas pumps. Once the trucks gas tank was full, she slid the nozzle back into its holster on the pump then climbed into the truck.

“Owen, look...” She spoke with a sigh while taking a set of keys from her blue jeans then slid the ignition key into place and started the truck. “...moving is not the end of the world. It'll take some getting used to, but once we get settled in, you'll find it's not as bad as you think it is.” Hearing this, I slouched down in my seat with the quietest of scoffs. In short time mom dropped the gear selector into 'drive' and slowly pulled away until we were once again on nearly empty roads in the middle of nowhere. “Besides, Waterstone has a pretty impressive railroad museum. Working tour trains; a switch yard, and The Diner Car.”

Suddenly my eyes grew bigger. Even though I didn't want to admit it, she had me with that one. My love of the water could only be rivaled by my love of anything and everything train related. “You think they even know of chili fries?” I asked then pulled out my cellphone only to find it wasn't picking up any signals. “We're in the middle of nowhere, there's no signal, half the towns we just passed through aren't even on the map, the GPS is confused AND there's no water for like a million miles.”

“I'm sure they've got everything you're looking for.” Mom countered giving me a quick glance with her cold blue eyes hidden behind long stringy brown hair.

“You sure?” I cornered with a twisted smirk. “You actually saw anyone at the gas station back there? I swear we're in the seventh circle of hillbilly hell...”

“Owen!” Mom instantly barked forcing her glare from the road to me. Just look told me to get quiet real fast. Soon enough the trucks engine and road vibrations were the only sounds in the trucks cab.

Miles passed; the sun rose higher in the sky. At a little past two in the afternoon, after what felt like an eternity, mom slowed to a gentle stop in the driveway of a moderately sized two story red brick home spaced apart from six other homes on the same long stretch of road. Across the driveway from the mailbox was a realtor sign with a smaller 'sold' sign magnetically affixed to it. With the engine turned off, both of us climbed out of the truck and walked up to the front door. As she unlocked it, I turned back hearing a rumbling diesel engine coming closer and found a box truck slowing to a stop at the front curb of the property.

Day turned to evening and I had just finished unpacking the last few boxes from the move when the doorbell rang. I took my eyes off a small desk next to the window of my new room and shifted my weight towards the door. Shaking my head, I clomped down the steps and emerged in the living room where mom had already opened the front door to reveal a man and a woman with a son that appeared to be about my age.

“Can I help you?” Mom asked glancing back at me then back to the family.

“I'm sorry if we've got y'all at a bad time, but we just wanted to swing by and welcome y'all to the neighborhood.” The woman with a thick country accent standing outside smiled politely.

“Andy Patterson, my lovely wife Christina, and our son Jake.” The man beamed with joy as he held out his hand which mom took in a formal handshake.

“Nora Roberts, my son Owen.” Mom introduced us. Yet as she did, I nodded towards them still sizing them up. Andy and Christina wore the same kind of clothes my mom did – tennis shoes, jeans and t-shirts. Jake wore boots, jeans and a denim jacket, which was a stark contrast to my sandals, sports shorts and sleeveless shirt. “Would you three like to come in?”

“If it's not too much trouble.” Christina nodded, and within seconds, all five of us gathered around a small coffee table in the living room.

“So, how do you two like Waterstone so far?” Andy asked while leaning back on the couch.

“Well, so far I'm loving it.” Mom grinned. “But Owen on the other hand, I think he's trying to get used to the whole, you know, shock of it all.”

“So, Owen.” Christina turned towards my direction. “What grade are you going into?”

“Ummm eight grade?” I half-asked half-answered.

“Oh that's nice, Jake here is also going into the eighth grade. At least you'll have a familiar face for the new school year.”

“I tell you, moving from California to here in Texas, huge change of pace.” Mom smiled then looked over to a framed picture of dad hanging over the fireplace mantle, a display case of all his medals hung ceremoniously yet ominously. For a few brief moments, her happiness faltered then returned with renewed vigor. “Everything I've seen so far is just laid back. You know? It's like, there's no traffic jams, no gang shootings, it's just quiet and simple here. Which is what I think we really need right now.”

- - -

The hour grew late. Drawing a deep breath I rolled over on my side in bed and listened to the absolute stillness of the country. In the near distance, chirping crickets could be heard from the open window. Not feeling remotely tired I stood up and shuffled over to the window then leaned on the sill to stare out to the vast star riddled sky.

When I come back son, we're going to get our harmonicas and rock the place. I promise. Dads voice whispered in my mind as I reached over to the desk and pulled an oblong plastic case over towards me. With it in my hands, I opened it up and pulled out a glistening metal harmonica with 'Daniel' engraved on the top plate. Forcing myself to hold the tears back, I put it back in the case and replaced it on the desk.

“You promised me, dad, that we'd rock out when you got back...” I whispered towards the sky, my voice suddenly turning angry. “...but you lied to me! You told me you'd come back! But you never did!” Within seconds I dropped to my knees on the hard wood floor and buried my face in my hands.

Last edited:

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
It was the silent stillness that bothered me the most. Normally there would have been birds chirping or people moving about. There was nothing. Just the ghostly void.

It's like an atomic bomb went off and wiped the town from the face of the earth. I thought to myself as Jake and I moved from pile of rubble to pile of rubble searching for anybody that might have been trapped. Out of the six former homes on the lonely road, we could already take one off the list as it sat vacant and for sale. Another two were occupied but our neighbors were at work when everything happened, we could scratch my house and Jake's house off the list as we knew nobody would've been there. That left one house, which belonged to Mr. Greyson.

We picked up the pace as we neared the last home on the road, around us, daylight faded to dusk, and soon enough that would turn to the dark of night. Yet for the moment, we had only one mission, and that was to help Mr. Greyson if we could. As the two of us came up to a concrete driveway to his residence, we slowed our pace and focused our attention on the tiniest of details. Jake panned the search light side to side as I cautiously made my way to the pile of wood and brick.

It brought down an entire brick house! I thought to myself as I paused and listened for any sounds, any movement, any signs to remind me that this was really happening. It was then that something caught my attention. Sitting in a small clearing amongst the pile of debris was a dinner table, and on the tabletop was a lone wine glass standing perfectly preserved. “Mister Greyson?” I called out stepping a little closer to the rubble.

“Owen! Over here!” Jake shouted out, and with utter urgency I spun around and ran to where Jake stood on the other side of the houses foundation. Within seconds we stood side by side again with Jake holding the overpowered flashlight at the pile of debris. Before us, the upper half of an aged mans body lay twisted and contorted, the lower half of his body remained buried by red bricks and darkened mortar. “Mr. Greyson...” Jake called out slowly approached the man appearing to be sleeping. Jake reached out and gently nudged Greyson while repeating the mans name out loud. After a few tries, Jake shifted his hand to the side of Greyson's neck then slowly withdrew it while lowering his head in a sorrowful mourning gesture.

“Is he...” I didn't even have to finish asking that question when Jake slowly nodded, his face tensing slightly as he turned away. I could only stand by and watch as Jake found a piece of wood with a nail in it and another length of wood, then a brick. Not sure what he was up to, I watched as he used the brick to hammer the piece of wood with the nail in it to the other section of wood making a cross, then he went over to the yard closest to the concrete foundation slab and jammed the improvised cross down into the dirt.

“It's all we can really do at this point.” He mumbled as he dropped the brick and walked past me back to the street.

We walked in silence. Even though our minds were heavy, none of the thoughts came out into the open. Grape Road seemed to stretch on forever as Jake and I kept our pace brisk but steady. The silence between us was a common bond linking what we were thinking, what we felt and our own morals being put to the test.

“I...I've never actually seen a dead body before.” I was the first to break the quietness between us. Jake glanced over to me then put his focus back on the pavement while keeping the search light sweeping back and forth. “It-it was just so surreal.”

“Yeah you have; you were at your dads funeral, right?” He asked, his tone of voice sounded heavier.

I drew a deep breath and closed my eyes briefly. “Yeah, but it was a closed casket service. He was so torn up that keeping the coffin closed for common decency was the one thing they could do. So, again, I've never actually seen a dead body before.”

“I haven't either.” Jake murmured then licked his lips. “All the first aid classes, all the CPR training, all the practice never really prepares you for the real thing.” After he said this, we fell into the silence again. His boots and my sandals were the only sounds piercing the unworldly stillness. “There!” Jake suddenly stopped and pointed to a pair of spotlights reflecting off the black clouds a distance away. “That's where we have to go.”

With renewed vigor we trotted along the road even faster than before. At Cherry Pit Road, we both paused as he again panned his light around; to our right and ahead of us, a utility pole stood at an odd angle over the road. Power lines hung with slack over the road, his light traced the lines as he mumbled some numbers. He then focused the beam of light on the pole itself and all the connecting points attached to it. With a thumbs up, he carefully made his way towards the low hanging power lines – all the while keeping a sharp eye on everything.

Crack.

My eyes suddenly went wide at the sound of wood snapping and breaking. Without warning the utility pole came downwards at us; I acted on instinct as I lunged pushing Jake well ahead of the danger zone. Almost immediately an agonizing pain came from my left foot causing me to stumble and trip until I landed hard against the asphalt a split second before the pole smacked the blacktop with a fierce thud.

“Owen!” Jake suddenly spun around and brought his light upon me. I gasped and huffed as pain went up my leg, out of instinct, I rolled onto my back and sat up just far enough to see what happened. “Oh shit...” He shouted as he noticed it too. I couldn't even form words as my eyes focused on the piece of wood sandwiching my sandal against my foot with four long thick nails jutting from the top of the flesh.

“Oh god oh god oh god oh god!” I finally managed to huff as a wave of tears came to my eyes. Without thinking of doing so, I reached down with my hands to try and pry the wood plank off, but Jake knelt down and gripped my wrists to stop me.

“No!” He stared me eye to eye. “We've got to keep that as is. You're going to have to get to the emergency shelter before ANYONE can try to remove that. If you pull that off now, you'll start bleeding, and if those nails nicked any blood vessels, you'd be in a world of trouble.” In the pale light, I could see a determination in his eyes, as though he already had three plans made.

“B-but how!?!” I stammered pretty sure I wouldn't even be able to stand let alone walk the rest of the way.

“Like this...” He smiled softly then stood up using his leverage to help me stand on my right foot, still smirking, he turned around, backed towards me and bent down a little bit. “...climb on, I'll carry ya there.” Knowing there was no talking him out of it, I somehow managed to climb onto his back like I used to do with dad when I was a lot younger. I slid my arms over his shoulders while avoiding his neck as he wrapped his arms under my knees to help keep everything stable. “How about we call it even for you dragging me down into the basement.” He chuckled slightly, and hearing that, I couldn't help but snicker a little myself.

“Deal.” I spoke then closed my eyes to try and rid my mind of the horrors that awaited.

- - - Updated - - -

Ten months earlier.

How can the problem be the solution. I puzzled in my mind as I sat staring at a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie on the counter before me. Everything else in the Diner Car faded from around me as I let my mind wander about what Mrs. Valteen was talking about earlier that afternoon when she had me stay after class to talk about a poem I wrote for English class.

It's pie. It can be neither problem nor solution. Sure its food, and it tastes good, but it can't be some fundamental answer to all of life's troubles. I continued thinking to myself as I raised my glare to the interior of the diner constructed out of a retrofitted railroad passenger diner car. As I looked around to all the railroad memorabilia, a faint bell dinging echoed out softly indicating another customer had entered.

“Hey Jake. Ya here for your usual slice of cherry?” A waitress working on cleaning the counter asked aloud as Jake climbed up onto the swiveling bar stool next to mine.

“Ya know it!” Jake chuckled then slid off his backpack placing it at his feet. Within moments, Darlene the waitress slid a plate with a slice of cherry pie in front of him followed by a cold glass of milk. “Well I'll be... Owen you old silver back devil; I never expected to see you here eating pie too!” He laughed roughing up the shoulder and sleeve of my shirt.

“Makes two of us.” I mumbled edging the fork in my left hand a little closer to the pastry.

“So, how'd your meeting with Valtineen The Vicious go?” He asked digging into his slice.

“Eh.” I muttered with a shrug. “She said even though the poem was concerning, she also saw it as vivid and symbolic. Perhaps a gateway into the darkest corners of my mind.”

“She gonna make you see the school shrink?” Jake asked after taking a swig of the milk.

“She suggested that I at least meet 'em some time.” With that, I took the first bite out of my slice of pie then I reached into my pocket and pulled out a plastic case containing a harmonica. “It's funny though...” I sighed while studying the gray casing. “...I tend to run into problems when I try to talk to anyone about my problems. Which creates even bigger problems because they have problems understanding my problems.”

“Yeah that's a problem.” he smirked with a chortle. Then he gently placed his fork against the plate and looked at me with a soft concerned glance. “They have to do with your dad, right?”

Suddenly my eyes went wide from the surprise as my breathing paused. Even without thought of doing so, I gripped the plastic case even harder as I lowered my head a little bit. “H-how did you know that!?!”

“It doesn't take a genius to figure it out.” Jake spoke in a comforting tone. “First time we met; it was just you and your mom. I saw the pictures and the display case of medals so I had an idea that he was a soldier. What puzzled me though was why y'all would move here while he was still on deployment; that's when it hit me – he wasn't in combat anymore, and I never saw him here. Hell just the way you and your mom act when the topic comes up is a pretty big signal. He died, didn't he?”

I sniffled and forced an oncoming flow of tears to stop while tucking the encased harmonica back into my pocket. “He was one week away.” I rested my head onto my right hand fighting to hold back the tears. “He had one week of service left before he was out for good. He was killed when his patrol unit came under attack. Everybody says that most of his unit lived because he ripped off his helmet and threw it AND himself onto a live grenade. They say he died a hero; yet his sacrifice left a mother and her eight year old boy nothing more than a shattered family left to pick up the pieces. His funeral was a travesty. American flags everywhere, color guard putting on a show, full-bird colonels that were only there to make themselves look good. Mom clutching the folded flag to her chest and crying into it. We must've heard over a thousand lines of false sympathy that day; but they didn't understand the pain, they didn't really care what kind of hell we were going through...they just wanted to feel that little bit better about themselves!”

Moments of dead silence passed until Jake carefully reached over and put his hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner. “I'm not going to claim I know what its like. Frankly I have no clue. What I do know, though, is that sometimes, you just need someone to sit and listen without passing judgment or interrupting every two seconds.”

You're the first one that's ever done that. We barely know each other and yet I just told you one of my biggest issues; I hope you're not setting me up for another disappointment. My voice echoed in my head as I drew a deep, shuddering breath. With nothing more than a huffing chuckle and the faintest of smiles I latched onto the fork and dug into the pie. Maybe there really is something to the mystical pie theory.

“If you ever want to come over to my place sometime you're more than welcome. I've got Brain Basher-Seven for the X-Cube.”

“That's the one that's got twice as much carnage than all the others combined?” I asked instantly turning with the faintest of grins.

“And the double toothed chainsaws for extra gore!” He smirked evilly.

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Miles of roads seemed to go on forever. Even though Jake had already gone a mile with me anchored to his back, we never seemed to get any closer to the twin spotlights sweeping the black skies over the town. The past half hour was an eternity of silence between us; I knew he was struggling to keep going, and he must have sensed my shivering and grogginess, yet we still kept quiet.

“At least we don't have to worry about that science test Monday.” I half chuckled trying to keep myself awake, because if I could do that, I could help to keep Jake focused. What really worried me was how he went from walking a straight path to moving in a side to side motion along the roads.

“No-we-don't.” He nodded in agreement then lowered his tone. “Now we've got to worry about getting to that shelter...gotta fix your foot...loosin' blood...” Suddenly his speech slowed and slurred as he instantly wobbled side to side taking several small balancing steps to keep upright.

“Jake!” I called out and tapped his chest several times. The only reaction I received was him lunging forwards and falling towards his left side; before I knew it, both of us were on the pavement, my screams of agony broke the stillness of the post storm environment. Drawing deep huffing breaths I forced myself onto my knees and rolled him over until he was sprawled out on his back. It was only then that I noticed the once white bandages now stained with blood, his eyes were half closed with a certain distance to them. “Jake talk to me!” I commanded as I nudged him to try and get any sort of response. Yet he remained still, his chest slowly rising and falling was a strong indication that something was seriously wrong with him.

It's up to me now! Now I'm the one that has to get us to safety! My mind suddenly came to life as I forced myself to work through the misery of pain and agony. Pull him under my arm and crawl the rest of the way if I have to! Again my own voice bellowed from within the confines of my mind as I reached out and wrapped my arm around his chest then kept him close to me as I made myself take one crawling step forwards. After just the first movement towards the spotlights even more searing pain came from my foot and leg. I howled and growled yet I forced myself to keep going. Having gone only ten feet I too became dizzy and groggy, my movements turned sloppy as the world spun around me. It was only then that I made two critical realizations; the first was that Jake took a worse thump to the head than I thought, and the second was that I was losing more blood than he thought. Five more grueling crawling steps was all I managed to make before collapsing to the still warm pavement.

“If this is it Jake...” I gasped letting my body relax. “...we didn't go out without a fight!” I closed my eyes, finding the heat of the blacktop comforting against my cold skin and muscles. A clap of thunder rumbled overhead followed by a lone droplet of water splattering against the back of my neck. Within seconds heavy rains poured down upon us, I allowed myself to relax, because I believed that this was the end.

Seconds, hours, days. I had no idea how much time had passed since I closed my eyes until I came to. Even in my groggy state the first thing I noticed was unusual brightness around us and accompanying shadows moving about within the light. I lay helpless and watched as three shadowy figures approached and knelt down around Jake and I. I mustered what little energy I had left and lazily pointed to Jake then whispered. “Help; him.”

“Easy Owen. They're helping Jake, I'm helping you.” An odd but familiar male voice echoed out over the gentle rumble of a nearby diesel engine. In the following seconds, I felt strong yet gentle hands carefully rolling me over onto my back, then the same hands went under me until I was lifted off the street in cradling arms. “Just hang tight kiddo, it's only a matter of time now before we'll get y'all to feelin' better.”

“Mitch...” I gasp-cried as the guy holding me moved past the headlights then the open drivers door to the bed of the truck with its tailgate down. No sooner had they gotten me situated than another two guys carrying Jake came over and carefully slid him into the open truck bed too.

“Cory, Take the wheel. Steve, I need you back here keeping an eye on Jake.” Mitch called out while settling into the back of the truck then pulled my left leg over his lap. Once the truck was in motion, Mitch glanced down between my face and my foot, even though he didn't say anything, the puzzled and shocked expression on his hardened face gave away what he was thinking. “Just hang in there Owen, it's not long now.” He flashed a reassuring smile then reached out and patted my shoulder. For the second time I slowly drifted out of consciousness and into the warm void of nothingness.

'Jake Patterson. Fourteen. Found in the middle of the road; possible head trauma.' A sudden booming voice drew me back to reality. As I forced my eyes open, I let my head tilt to the side as two paramedics in reflective clothing and a doctor in green scrubs slid Jake from the back of the truck onto a stretcher. I could only watch helplessly as the doctor took out a small pen light and shined it into Jake's eyes.

“Left pupil fixed and dilated. Take 'em to room two! What else we got?”

“Owen Roberts. Fourteen. Found next to Jake. Four point puncture wounds to the left foot, in and out of consciousness.” Mitch responded then moved in a way as to help slide me out of the trucks bed an onto a second stretcher.

“Start an IV line full flow, tetanus and broad spectrum antibiotics; room five.” The doctor responded after sweeping his light around my eyes making me flinch and turn away instinctively. On the way into the dimmed corridors of the towns only clinic I heard dozens of voices calling out for loved ones, crying out in pain and agony, excited chatter of doctors and nurses trying to bring order to chaos. Once in room five, the two medics set the backboard down on an exam table and somehow managed to slide it out from under me. After they left the room, Mitch reached over to a stack of blankets, pulled one and unfolded it then carefully draped it over me.

“Why'd you stop and help?” I whisper-asked aloud fidgeting under the blanket.

Hearing this, Mitch chuckled then crouched down next to the exam table. “Two reasons. First, I was actually worried about you, even Jake. Second, I'm terrified of what your mother might do to me if she found out something happened to you and I did nothing to help.”

- - - Updated - - -

Six months earlier.

Friday night Friday night; ain't nothing better than Friday night! I sang in my thoughts as I bounced up the road from Jake's home to my own. For the past several hours since school let out, the two of us played round after round of Brain Basher-Seven, and as usual, he kept racking up the high scores. It wasn't until my grumbling stomach could be heard over the games that I realized how long we'd been at it.

Under the pale glow of the street lights against the setting sun life was perfect. I got to hang out with Jake and play mindless violent video games, I didn't have to worry about school until Monday, and mom said she'd be making one of my favorite dishes for dinner. It wasn't until I approached my home that my pace slowed; sitting on the roadside in front of the house was a small royal blue Chevy pickup. Almost instantly my mind went into alert mode as I shifted my steps into slower methodical movements. Out of instinct, I carefully made my way around the truck trying to gather as much information as possible. On the dashboard was a pair of neon green sunglasses, on the passenger seat was a pair of leather work gloves, a pair of work boots and one of those neon orange safety vests with the toxic green Xs on the back that reflect any light-shine.

Ever so slowly I shifted my weight and cautiously approached the front door of my home while reaching into my pocket for my cellphone. As quietly as possible I opened the door and poked my head in far enough to see that the living room was clear. Yet there were noises and voices coming from the kitchen to the right of the space. I expertly closed the door without making a lone sound and tiptoed across tan carpeting towards the kitchen where I pressed myself against the wall and leaned over just enough to hear everything without being noticed. From the vantage point, I could smell the aromas of a succulent roasted chicken, the cheesy goodness of macaroni and cheese, and an odd scent of boiled vegetables.

“I sure hope this works.” Moms voice rang out over the clatter of cookware being moved around. “Hopefully by using his favorite meal I can kind of keep him under control tonight.”

“Is he really that bad?” A strange mans voice asked in response. Suddenly, my muscles tensed as I narrowed my glare.

“Well, no.” Mom answered. “He's not a bad kid per se, he just...its just that after his father died in combat, Owens been bitter at the world.”

“I see.”

So do I! I thought to myself while keeping a ghostly profile against the wall. You're trying to be mister nice guy so we'll drop our guard, and the next thing we know, we'll be hogtied in the closet while you and your posse clean out our house! Sudden movement from the archway drew my attention, and before I knew it, a six foot tall guy in a blue shirt, black jeans and sneakers stood over me. His coffee colored eyes went wide as he stepped back from the surprise of me standing there, I too stepped back though it was more of a self defense move. After running his left hand through copper-red hair, the guy smiled and held out his right hand.

“Owen, right?” With a mere nod from me, his hand dropped yet the smile still stayed on his face. “Mitchel O'Connor. Your mom invited me to dinner tonight.” Even with my coldest most aggressive stare, Mitchel's smile never faltered.

“You ever done jail time?” I asked suddenly.

“No.” He shook his head while lacing his fingers together at his belt buckle.

“Gotten any tickets?”

“Nope.”

“Married? Kids? Current girlfriend? Ex-girlfriends?”

“No, nope, no and no.”

“Alcohol? Drugs? Mental disorders?”

“Very rarely, only Aspirin for headaches, and none that I know of.”

At that very moment mom came around the corner. “Owen, stop interrogating Mitch. Dinners almost ready, why don't you come into the kitchen and wash up.” After saying that, she lowered her glare into a cold stare. With nothing more than a shrug I turned and headed into the white tile floored kitchen with rich mahogany cabinets and stainless steel appliances. No sooner had I gotten my hands under warm water from the sink faucet than mom stood beside me, leaning slightly over the black marble counter top. Then she spoke in low defined tones as though she didn't want Mitch to hear it. “You need to behave tonight.”

“I don't trust 'em.” I grumbled while pouring dish soap over my hands.

“Give him a chance, you'll see he's not as bad as you think he is. Besides, as a fail-safe, if you don't cause any trouble tonight, you'll get a little somethin'-somethin' in return.”

“What?” I asked snapping my head towards her, a questioning expression on my face.

“Ahh you'll see. That is if you can behave until he goes home.”

I let my shoulders drop with a sigh, my eyes rolling upwards with the slightest of head shakes. “Fine. But don't expect me to get all buddy buddy with him.” I turned off the faucet and dried my hands on a hand towel folded neatly onto itself.

--- --- ---

“...Aaron finally checks the locomotives side mirrors, right? The look on his face when he saw the EF3 comin' up on our rear was priceless. So what does he do? He shoves the throttle as far as it'll go and tells me that if I'm religious, I'd better start praying.” Mitch laughed wildly as he recalled his eventful times working for the railroad. Chuckling herself, mom slowly sipped a mug of warm tea as I leaned back in my chair still at the dinner table. Still keeping his smile, Mitch slowly ceased his laughter and looked me square in the eyes. “So, Owen, your mom tells me you're into trains?”

“That's right.” I shrugged.

“Well if you ever want to come on down to the CCV yard sometime, I'll be more than happy to get you a visitor badge and give you an up close and personal tour. For obvious safety reasons we can't go everywhere on the yard itself, but there is a demo locomotive that we use for the public tours. Might be a good opportunity to get some pictures or videos.”

“What do you do anyways? Engineer?” I asked while leaning over the table raising an eyebrow slightly.

“When the need arises for it.” Mitch responded taking a sip of water. “Around there I'm kind of a jack of all trades master of none. I can be an engineer, conductor, yardman, desk-jockey; whatever the company needs me to be, I'll be.”

I grinned leaning a little further over the table towards Mitch. “I bet you've seen some pretty gruesome accidents then.”

“Owen...” Mom gasp-chuckled, a defined look of disbelief plastered on her face.

“Yeah I admit, I've seen a few. Heck I've almost been in a few myself. It's like any other job; there's the element of danger at everything you do, but you just learn to work with it and develop that sixth sense that lets you know something ain't right.”

After he said that, the three of us fell into a common silence. Moments ticked by as mom sipped her tea again and I leaned back in my chair. “So. How do you and mom know each other?”

It was then that mom put her cup of tea down and gave a bit of a flirty look at Mitch. “Believe it or not, we actually bumped into each other at the post office. Our boxes are right next to each other, I came up beside him as he was getting ready to leave and one thing leads to another; long story short we spent the next five minutes sorting out which envelope went which way. Turns out he's a heavy shopper at the hobby store where I work and every week he's in there getting something else for his model trains, but recently it seems like he's buying less and spending more time chatting.”

“Well it helps that you're so sociable and approachable.” Mitch chuckled with a twisted smirk.

“If you two are gonna start kissing...” I rolled my eyes. “...at least wait until I'm out of the room.”

--- --- ---

I yawned and stretched out on my bed; even though it had only been a few hours since dinner, it felt like days had gone by. I pushed the pillows away and rolled onto my stomach feeling a little more relaxed, a much needed blistering hot shower not ten minutes ago was exactly what I needed to psych myself up for bed. Instantly the door to my room opened and mom stepped from the doorway to my bed, with nothing more than a corner-of-the-eye glare, I noticed she carried a fire engine red plastic bottle. If it wasn't for the fact that I was comfortable and didn't want to move, I would have leapt up and put on of the many shirts laying about on the floor.

In her usual graceful movements, mom sat on the edge of the bed then put the bottle down at my side. “Since you didn't chase him off tonight, I'd say you were pretty well behaved.”

“I still don't fully trust 'em!” I cornered while propping myself up on my elbows far enough to turn to see her. “There's got to be something wrong with him, nobody's that perfect.”

“Yeah I forgot; he's a machete wielding maniac that wants to chop us to tiny bite sized cubes.”

“I wish. You know how much the reward money for something like that is?” No sooner had I asked this then mom picked up the bottle, opened it and squirted some of the gel into her hand. Before I knew it, her hand went against the bare skin of my back at the shoulder blades forcing me to gasp from the shock of the cold gel. Slowly her hands went over my back, her fingers pressing down firmly but gently into the muscles caused me to relax that much more.

“You're unusually tense. What gives?”

“Take your pick.” I moaned as mom worked her way from my lower back to my neck. “Huge history test in a week, the essay for English class, trying to find a diplomatic but harsh letter to the president wanting answers, and now there's Mitch.”

“Sweetie. It's like my father used to say 'you have to learn to pick and choose your battles.' Best advice he ever gave for being drunk on moonshine most of the time. You know, Mitch is a nice guy that's got a good job, and I suspect he may be a bit lonely in life.”

“Yeah I guess you're right.” I murmured feeling the tension evaporating. “If he can pass the Owen test I guess he ain't that bad. He's a lot better than some of the slugs that've come oozing around.” The more she worked the back massage, the more I relaxed, and the more I relaxed, the closer to sleep I got. With a deep sigh of relief I closed my eyes and went quiet just enjoying the back rub. Eventually I was sound asleep.

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
I came to slowly. At first I could barely tell if I was even alive. As more time passed, though, the more my senses returned. Eventually I could make out everything around me. I could feel the warm blankets draped over me, a gentle pulsating beeping coming from a machine to my right, even the odd smells that could only be associated with hospitals. Soon enough I forced my eyes open just far enough to see bright daylight coming from a window to my left and the lights overhead.

“Hey look who's back.” A woman's voice coming from an area by the window drew my attention. With a lot of effort, I rolled my head to the side and strained to focus on the figure of my mother as she approached and carefully slid her hand over the side of my head. In the glow of light, I could see some cuts around her face, and a few rounds of gauze around her right hand.

“Jake...!” I gasped and tried to wrestle my way out of the bed only to be stopped by metal side rails raised up and mom trying to keep me down against the mattress.

“Easy Owen, he's okay!” She spoke a little louder as she forced me back in place and drew the covers over me again. “Jake's just down the hall. And you can see him later. But right now, you need to keep off your foot so it'll heal properly.”

“H-how bad is it?” I asked sitting up just far enough to look down the length of the bed to my left leg casted in thick material and supported by a few pillows. The last I remembered, I was being packed up and shipped out of the clinic in an ambulance following one Jake was taken in.

“The doctors had to go in and perform some surgery. One of the nails punched right through an artery and was acting like a cork in a bottle. Another nail shredded through the...what'd he call it...the corn flake bone? The other two nails went in-in such a way that they separated the metatarsal bone-joints. Or something like that. ”

“That explains all the pain I had...wait, what's all that mean?” I flopped back against the pillows keeping me in something of an upright position.

"It means one of those nails broke a bone in your foot, while another two separated some bone joints like if they pierced the knuckles of your fingers."

"Ooohhh I see...I think..." I muttered then raised an eyebrow still not sure what she meant.

A click of a latch instantly drew my focus, within seconds, the door to the hospital room swung open far enough for Mitch to step through. The moment he saw me, a smile formed on his face. He held out both hands; in his left was a small potted plant that he handed to mom, in his right hand, a gray plastic box. He leaned down far enough to grip my hand gently and drop the plastic case into it. “That slid out of your pocket in the back of my truck at the clinic. I wanted to make sure it was returned.”

As I looked over the plastic I bit my bottom lip while drawing a deep breath. “Mitch...” I started then paused just long enough to stare at him. “...I know I've been pretty hard on you since we first met. Truth is, I was unfairly suspicious of you; I was seeing monsters and demons that weren't there. I was just afraid that if you came into the picture you would take over as a father and that's something I just couldn't handle.”

Mitch tensed his jaw slightly then knelt down beside the bed. “Owen. I respect you, and your mother. I would never do anything to barge my way in and replace your dad; no one could. He was an honestly good man and I can't live up to that. I was hoping that I could at least be your friend, a responsible male role model that could help you when you don't feel comfortable talking with you mom about guy stuff.”

“I-I'd like that.” I smiled an honest smile then sniffled feeling a buildup of tears. “You're a cool guy, Mitch. I'm only just now realizing it.” I shook my head feeling like a complete jerk over how I acted towards him for the last several months.

“I'd like that too.” He nodded and patted my shoulder. “Tell ya what; when the dust settles and things go back to normal, how about you, me and the guys from work get together for a slot during open stage night at Steak'N'Bake. We really could use some new material and I think you'd be perfect. Maybe...we could play your song?”

--- --- ---

It was difficult, but with a little help from the nurse I was slowly getting used to roaming around on metal crutches. At first, she would only let me hobble along from the bed to the door and back, but as time went on and I became more restless, the more she let me come out of the room and explore the halls. The only condition was that I wasn't supposed to do it unless she was right there with me the entire time, which made sense in a way. This time, though, I had a destination in mind. This time I would at least poke my head into Jake's room and say hi.

Clack. Clack. Clack. The awkward sounding yet rhythmic sounds of the crutches echoed out in the lone corridor. Standing at my side ready for anything, the nurse walked along dragging the rolling IV cart behind her.

'684 Jake Patterson' A small white board on the door read as I approached, then once I stood at the closed door, I raised my hand and gave the wood a firm but gentle series of raps. Ever so carefully I opened the door just far enough to poke my head in. The room was generally set up like the one I was being kept in so it was easy to spot Jake laying upright in the bed. The very second I entered, Jake turned to me, bandages wrapped around his forehead were still fairly white meaning either they stopped the bleeding or the bandages were just changed.

“Hey bro!” I chuckled and moved closer to him with the nurse bringing up the rear.

“Do...I...know you?” He asked in slow unsure tones, his eyes searched over me as though he were looking for something familiar. Yet he only found the same pale blue hospital gown that secures in the front with velcro.

“Hahaha very funny Jake.” I laughed for a few seconds, but something about him seemed eerily off.

“How do you know my name? Who are you?” Again he asked, this time though, he narrowed his glare and shifted his weight defensively.

“The jokes getting a little tiresome, stop pretending you don't remember that we live across the street and like a hundred feet away from each other. Or that were in the same classes, and that every Friday after school we go to The Diner Car and have a slice of pie. You can't have forgotten that you're always rubbing it in my face that you're better at Brain Basher-Seven than I am.” I stood as upright as possible, any hints of amusement gone from my face.

“Who's pretending!?! You come in here acting like we know each other, but I don't even know who you are!"

"No. You do know who I am."

"No. I. Don't!"

"Yes. You. Do!" I snapped back nearly growling.

"The only thing I know about you, is that you're an annoying little twerp. Now get out before I have Large Marge drag you back to your own room!”

“Okay Jake knock it off. This isn't funny anymore!” I hissed, my hands wrapped around the crutch handles in a white knuckle grip.

“Never was funny to begin with. Leave me alone!”

“But Ja...”

“GET OUT!”

"If you would just list..."

"That's it! I'm calling security!" He shouted then reached for a small remote tethered to the wall just above his bed.

“I'm going I'm going.” I sighed and retreated back into the hallway. "But by the end of the day, you'll feel like crap for kicking me out like this. We're best buds, bro, and best buds don't turn on each other just like you did!" By now, my voice was low and seething, all the while, he stared me down with arms crossed.

Returning to the room I was assigned to, I managed to climb onto the bed and get settled in with the nurse setting the rolling IV stand back in place then pulled the blankets over me. "What is his deal!?! He'd better be lucky I didn't bitch-slap some sense into him! He's gonna regret this!"

“He did take a pretty nasty thump to the head.” The nurse gave a reassuring smile. “His memories could come back in five minutes or years from now; it could be all at once or bit by bit. Maybe if he had something familiar to kind of jog his noggin...” She trailed off and shifted her focus from me to the harmonica laying in its plastic case on a small table next to the bed.

"You mean he's acting like he doesn't know me...because he doesn't know me!?!" I asked snapping my sight to her. In response, she subtly nodded.

--- --- ---

“NO!” I bellowed rearing upright in bed, anger and fear flushed over me as mom lowered her eyes and sighed. “That can't be...he can't be...”

“I'm afraid it's happening.” She spoke softly then leaned down and put her hands gently against my cheeks. “Sweetie, I'm sorry, I really am, but these things happen. We know this better than most people. I'm sorry, Owen, but Jake's parents are dead and he's getting placed in the state's care. Chances are we might not ever see him again.”

“It's not fair!” I whined, a defined trickle of tears streaked down my cheeks as my breathing turned shallow and raspy. “He still doesn't even remember who he is...or who I am! They can't just take him away like that!”

“I know its not fair honey. I know. But this is out of our control.”

“If dad were here, he'd kick their asses! He wouldn't let it happen; he'd fight it all the way!”

“Look, Owen, I'll talk with the doctors and nurses. Maybe I can convince them to put up a fight, maybe convince them not to let the state take Jake away until his mind recovers. I'll be honest, it's a long shot and it might not work, but I'm going to try. That's the best thing I can do.”

- - - Updated - - -

Three months earlier.

Explosion after explosion rattled from a moderate sized TV in the far corner of Jake's basement. Over the sounds emanating from the speakers, we could both be heard laughing, whooping and gasping as we feverishly hammered away on the X-Cube controls. Our kill scores were tied and all I needed was one more to finally beat him. “Go go go go go!” I nearly shouted, my body twisted and bobbed around as I searched the images on the screen for that last score. Suddenly the screen froze and my half of the view blurred and turned gray.

“Total and merciless annihilation; you are a god among men!” A digitized computer voice crackled through the speakers.

“Oh come on! I was one point away from finally beating you at this game!” I huffed and set the controller on the floor in front of me.

“Just not today.” Jake muttered with a grinning smirk.

“I can still kick your ass on the harmonica!” I grumbled crossing my arms.

“Whatever you say...” He chuckled and shook his head then glanced to a green digit alarm clock sitting on an office desk next to the entertainment center. “...man I'm hungry, those pizzas had better get here soon.”

As if by sheer magic, the doorbell chimed from upstairs. Both of us glanced to the floor above us. Roughly thirty seconds later, Mr. Patterson's voice echoed down the steps. “Hey guys, your dinners here.” That was all it took to get us up and charging full throttle out of the basement, around a few corners and through the living room to the kitchen where Mrs. Patterson set two large pizza boxes on the counter.

“This isn't the Indy-500 you know...” Mrs. Patterson trailed off while backing away. “...now y'all know, the two of us are going out to dinner tonight. If y'all need anything, we've got our cellphones with us, and the Sweggos should be home in half an hour; just in case Owens mother isn't home. And Jake...” she shifted her transferring glare from both of us to Jake. “...whatever you do, stay away from the toaster. You remember what happened last time.”

“I swear I didn't do anything!” Jake cornered after opening the top pizza box and grabbing two plates from the cabinet.

“What!?!” I suddenly went wide eyed with an amused grin. “You never told me about...”

Instantly Mr. Patterson poked his head into the kitchen. “The last time he tried to use the toaster, he almost set fire to the kitchen.”

“I swear all I did was put bread in the toaster and set the lever. Next thing I know the side of its glowing red hot and it started smoking and sparking! It was a problem with the toaster itself!”

“Anyhow; just stay away from it until we get back.” Mrs. Patterson sighed.

“You can beat me at video games and yet you can't even use a toaster without problems!?!” I laughed wildly as I reached into the box and pulled out a few slices then slipped them on a plate. “This weekend sleepover just got a whole lot more amusing.”

Soon enough Mr. and Mrs. Patterson left so they wouldn't be late for their dinner reservations, leaving Jake and I to flop down on the couch in front of the TV in the living room to watch a movie marathon.

Time passed, and before we knew it, the pizzas were gone, the movies were watched and Jake's parents returned to find the home pretty much the way they left it. At ten sharp, Jake dragged me up to his room where his folks had already set up a sleeping bag on the floor by Jakes bed. I listed while rooting around my backpack for a few things as Jake rummaged around behind the closed door to the in-room bathroom. After a few moments, he emerged wearing a pair of black shorts and a like colored shirt; he kept the door open and the light on then shuffled past me to the bed.

“You wearing perfume or something?” I asked sniffing the air, tracking an unusual fragrance directly to him.

“Are you kidding!?!” He scoffed rolling his eyes. “That's what chicks wear. You're probably just smelling the air freshener on my desk.

“That's not what I'm smelling; I'm picking up something with lavender in it.” I slacked my jaw to the side and glanced between him and his desk. Almost immediately Jake's face turned at least six different shades of red.

“Its the air freshener!” He tensed up, his voice coming out lower and more defined.

“Aight fine whatever ya say.” I sighed then stood and headed into the bathroom to change out of my street clothes and into my night wear. By the time I got done and emerged from the bathroom, Jake was already lounging under the covers and Mr. Patterson stood by the door, his hand on the light switch. He waited for me to rustle into the sleeping bag and get comfortable before he clicked the lights off.

“Good night, guys.” Mr. Pattersons voice echoed out.

“Night dad.” Jake was the first to respond.

“Night, Mr. Patterson.” I echoed and drew a deep sighing breath. Within seconds the door closed with a click from the latch and an eerie silent stillness fell upon the darkened room.

--- --- ---

I suddenly bolted awake; my gasping and yelping should have awakened everyone on the street, but to my surprise, Jake only stirred enough to roll onto his back. I stood, trying to calm my breathing and shuffled as quietly as possible to the bathroom where I nudged the door closed then flicked on the lights. My body shook as streams of tears trickled down my cheeks, my breathing turned more erratic while I put the toilet seat lid down then sat on it. “Dad...” I silently whined, my voice barely a cracking tone as I dropped my head into my hands effectively covering my entire face.

For the longest time I sat crying and weeping, the nightmare still frighteningly vivid in my mind. I couldn't even raise my head from my hands until a gentle rapping at the door forced me to look up. “Ow'...you okay in there?” Jake's voice permeated through the wood barrier keeping us apart.

“Y-yeah. J-ust give m-me a m-minute.” I huffed then stood up and did everything I could to wipe away the tears and make myself look like I normally do. Drawing a deep breath, I gripped the cold metal knob in my hand and gave it a good twist opening the door to reveal Jake standing on the other side. He looked at me worriedly, his eyes focusing on mine. Just seeing those soft, gentle, caring eyes, the only thing I could do was break down into another wave of tears. No sooner did I do this, than he gently reached out and put his hand on my shoulder. It was then that he did the unexpected; without a lone word uttered, he pulled me towards him until the two of us were in a fairly tight bonding hug.

“Sshhhhhh...” He cooed in a soft whispering voice. “Whatever it is, just let it all out.” After a few seconds of him saying this, I came apart even further until I was clutching onto him tightly and sobbing onto his collarbone. “You can cry, Owen, for as long as you need to; I'm not goin' anywhere.”

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
I stood silent; at my side, Nurse Kayla waited for me to move so she could roll the IV stand out of the hall and into the Teens Space of the hospital. I rested my weight on both my good leg and the crutches as I watched Jake lounging on a beanbag chair tethered to a second IV stand. Even though both the nurse and I were in his peripheral vision, his attention to the TV hanging in the corner kept him from noticing us. After a quick glance to Kayla, I pulled the plastic case apart and retrieved the harmonica from within and every so slowly brought it up to my lips. As soon as Jake heard the first couple of notes, his head snapped to the side, his eyes grew wider as he listened to the soft tune.

“Why do I know that song?” He asked lowering his head but keeping his glare on me.

I played a few more notes before pulling the instrument away from my face. “You know it, because you're the first person that's ever heard it.”

“Play that part again?” He asked then closed his eyes and tilted his head in a way that his left ear was fully exposed. With nothing more than a smile, I played the series of notes then paused. “Yeah...I was...on a hill. It's blurry but it's coming back to me. It was the hill overlooking a train yard and...” Suddenly his eyes shot open as he glared at me with utter disbelief. “...and you were there playing that song! When you realized I was there, you went haywire. Like totally spazzing out.”

“Yes, Jake. That's right!” I couldn't help but feel a little more encouraged at what was happening.

“You said that nobody was ever supposed to hear it because it was deeply personal. It was for...for...”

“My dad.” I nodded.

“Yeah that's right. Not too long after the school year started, you told me about him. We were at some restaurant, you had strawberry pie and I had the cherry pie. No! Strawberry rhubarb; that's it! That's the one flavor of pie you'll eat!”

“Yes Jake yes!” I beamed with joy as he stood up and grabbed his IV stand to roll it with him as he stepped closer.

“My name is Jake...Patterson. And you're Owen Roberts! Its all coming back now!” He gasped, and for a few brief seconds, there was an odd flicker in his eyes as though the fog was clearing and the Jake I knew was coming back. Suddenly he moved; before I could even react, he lunged and wrapped me in the tightest hug ever. I was so surprised by it, the only thing I could think to do was slide my arms around him too. “Oh god Owen; you have no clue just how terrifying it is to wake up one day and not remember anything about yourself. When you came into my room yesterday, and you claimed you knew who I was but I didn't know who you were, I got defensive because I was scared. Damn it, I almost destroyed our friendship!” He huffed in weeping tones as I gently patted his back, silently reassuring him that everything was going to be okay.

“No dude. You were just having and identity crisis. We're best buds, and its going to take a lot to break us apart.”

“Oh no! Mom and dad! What happened to them!?! Are they okay? I haven't seen them around yet!” Jake shrieked in panicked tones as he pulled away and looked around.

“You mean nobody's told you yet?” I asked then stared him eye to eye. With nothing more than a frantic shake of his head, I sighed and wiped my hand over my face. “Sit down. There's something you need to know.”

“What? What's going on?”

“J; bro, I'd rather you hear this from me. There's no easy way to say this so I'm just going to say it.” I began softly after putting my hands on his shoulders. “Your parents are d-. That is to say your folks were k-.” I had to close my eyes and shake the hesitance from my mind before I went any further. After drawing a deep breath, I focused on the words that were easiest to speak. “Jake, when the tornado touched down, your parents van was blown off the road and into a train bridge pylon. I'm sorry, Jake, but they didn't make it...”

“What?” Jake's face scrunched as he stared at me with large watery puppy dog eyes. “T-that can't b-b-be!”

“I'm sorry Jake. I really am. I honestly wish it didn't happen.”

“No they can't be dead!” He huffed and shook his head then raised up his hands until they covered his face. Even then, I could still make out the tears seeping through the cracks between his fingers. “It wasn't them! It was just some other man and woman in an identical van. Yeah, they're probably looking around all the shelters trying to find me. That's why they aren't here, they're still looking for me.”

“Come here.” I whispered and pulled him into my arms, holding him as close as possible. “I know your world just crashed down around you, so you cry, bro. You cry for as long as you need; I'm not going anywhere.”

--- --- ---

The silence of night time in the hospital was broken by rain gently tapping at the windows. It seemed that even nature was weeping over Jake's situation. If I had been asleep, I would have missed the rain. Yet, the constant thoughts raging in my mind kept me from getting even a wink of rest. Just remembering him sobbing and quivering in my arms brought a trickle of tears to my own eyes.

I wish I could say something...to do something to make it all better. I thought to myself then sniffled aloud. But no matter how hard I try, I just can't bring people back from the dead. The only real choice I have is just being there for him; whether he needs someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or even just someone to yell at. I know too well what the pains like, and he shouldn't have to go through it alone. He doesn't deserve it. He shouldn't have lost his parents like that, at least not until he's at least forty or fifty. If there really is such a thing as god, he's got to be one really demented piece of work...

With the thoughts darting through my mind, I closed my eyes and slipped into a restless slumber. The next thing I knew, I came to with a deep breath and sat up to see one of the many hospital staff entering in the room with a plastic covered tray in his hands. “Morning sleepyhead, breakfast is ready.” He smiled and set the tray on a rolling tabletop then pulled the whole thing over my lap leaving several inches clearance.

“How's Jake doing?” I asked after rubbing my eyes and sitting up far enough to reach the tray. For a few moments as I pulled the lid off to reveal pancakes and a few fresh strawberries laying on the plate, the guy in black scrubs stood silent. “Or have you been there yet?”

“I...I didn't have a tray ticket for his room. There was a sign hanging on the door saying micro-cleaning in progress, so there's nobody there.”

“You sure? Room six eighty four; Jake Patterson. Just down the hall?” I asked suddenly alarmed, my eyes focusing on him as I dropped the plastic spork onto the plate.

“Yeah quite sure.”

“Where is he!?! Where did he go!”

“Discharged as far as I know; other than that I really can't tell ya.”

“That can't be!” I suddenly raised my voice enough for the brown haired guy to take a few steps back. “I demand to see the doctor responsible for signing his release paperwork!”

“You also want to chase down the social worker that took him away, too?” He asked in dull flat tones. “Look, kid. Sometimes things happen we don't like. Best thing we can do is just accept it and move on.”

“No.” I growled. “I will not accept this. I'll fight it with every ounce of energy I have! This injustice will be corrected by tomorrow!” I hissed bearing the fiercest face I could muster.

“At least eat your breakfast, first. You'll need the nutrition for fighting your cause.” With that, the guy turned and left letting the room return to its former quietness.

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
I shuffled along slowly, hands in pockets, backpack slung over my shoulder, my glare low and distant. Long dull months have drudged along since I came to in the hospital. Long, grueling months of not knowing what happened to Jake, where he wound up at, or even a simple email from him. Seeing the empty spot in our classes where he should have been was a constant reminder of the crushing loneliness that was the void of our friendship. Even as my foot healed enough for the cast to come off, the joy of getting my mobility back was shadowed by the nothingness of not having someone close to share it with.

The moment I stepped foot onto a green grass lawn I paused and brought my sight upwards to the now vacant lot where a concrete lined hole the shape and size of a basement remained. I slowly moved along the grass overtaking a stone walkway and stopped a few feet away from the remnants of the former home.

This is where our lives changed. I thought to myself as I looked over the area void of anything but cinder blocks. This is where we survived one nightmare only to realize the horrors were just beginning. I just hope he's not miserable...wherever he is... I snapped from my track of though and turned then strolled away with a sigh. After walking about a hundred feet along the road, I slowed and adjusted the weight of my backpack before stepping up the concrete walkway to the two story home that was completely rebuilt from the ground up. As usual, moms burly Ram pickup and Mitch's puny Chevy were parked in the driveway, the front door stood open from behind a latched screen door.

“Mom, Mitch, I'm home.” I called out as I entered through the screen door letting it clatter shut behind me. Like I always do, I slung my backpack onto the couch then turned and headed towards the kitchen where I found Mitch turning to me from the oven with a large tray in padded-mitt hands.

“Hey champ. You're just in time.” Mitch smiled then set the tray onto a few hot plates on the counter. Wondering what just came out of the oven, I sniffed the air and immediately picked up aromas of freshly baked cookies.

“Are those...what I think they are?” I asked, my smirk turning into a wide grin of excitement.

“Yeah. You look like you could use a little pick-me-up right now.”

Instantly I chuckled and shook my head, my smile growing bigger. “Just be glad Jake's not here; otherwise he would already be trying to get his hands on 'em....” It was then that my grinning smile faltered and my snickers quieted. Mitch made his way around the island counter top until he stood by my side, and without a word spoken, he draped his arm around my shoulder and pulled me close. “I just wish I knew what happened to him!” I sniffled and leaned against Mitch.

“I'll tell ya what happened to him.” He smiled as he used his free hand to gently grip my chin and raise my head upwards until we were looking at each other eye to eye. “He called here about an hour ago, he said that he's going to a good home with a caring family. He would have tried to call back again but his time was short, and he was adamant that I tell you how much he misses you.”

“Look, Mitch.” I spoke softly while trying to keep the tears from revealing themselves. “I was okay with you and mom marrying. I was even okay with you moving in. You've earned a lot of my trust, but please, please don't say things like that just to cheer me up; it'll only make things worse.”

“Go check the phone if you don't believe me; there were only two calls today. One was from my sister in Colorado, the other, was from the social services office out in Green Plains.”

“So, Owen. You thought about what you want for your birthday dinner?” Mom snagged our attention with her voice and steps coming into the kitchen.

“What?” I gave her a confused glare causing her to go over to a calender hanging on the fridge door.

“Today is Thursday the fifteenth. Saturday is the seventeenth, and this is July, in case you forgot.”

“Actually yeah I did forget.” I scoffed suddenly feeling like an idiot. “With so much going on in the past few months I've kinda lost track the days.” Not only that, but there's really nothing to celebrate; just turning fifteen. Just another year older, that's all. I thought to myself as I turned and started to head out of the kitchen towards my room on the second floor.

--- --- ---

I awoke with a few deep breaths followed by grunts and groans as I went into a full body stretch. After running my tongue over dry lips I sat up and opened my eyes to see bright morning sunlight pouring in through the open window. Saturday. I thought to myself as I wrenched myself out from under the covers and into a pair of denim shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Fifteen years in this world, and most of it I'd rather forget.

The morning went on unlike any other; both mom and Mitch were home all day doing various tasks around the house, even getting me involved in some of the cleaning. At roughly one in the afternoon, just before I got done vacuuming the hallway carpet on the first floor, the doorbell rang out causing Mitch and mom to stop their activities and answer the door. I stood back and watched as a taller woman in a business dress said something to mom before handing her a few sheets of paper. Wondering what was going on, I turned off the vacuum and focused on them.

“...Now I'll need both legal guardians signatures here, here, and initials here and here.” The woman spoke with a stone faced glare while pointing at the papers. As mom and Mitch signed the sheets, I strolled over just far enough to get a better idea of what was happening. With the packet in her hands, the unidentified woman separated the top sheet then returned it to mom. “This is your copy, and these other two copies go to my case file and the states records. You know, it's people like you two that make my job enjoyable.” She smiled briefly before stepping aside and glancing behind her.

Almost immediately another figure appeared at the doorway. This one, though, was shorter and a little more scrawny.

The woman in the business dress slid her hand onto the figures shoulder giving it a few good pats. “Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Roberts. You are now adoptive parents.”

Suddenly my eyes went wide and my jaw dropped, my heart skipped a few beats. “Jake!?!” I suddenly shouted in utter disbelief.

“Owen!” Jake instantly called back with the biggest smile I've even seen from him. That was all it took for both of us to run towards each other until we collided into the kind of warm and tight embrace that only the closest of friends had. Within seconds I was huffing in quivering breaths as tears marbled down my cheeks. Even without looking directly at him, I could tell he too was crying. Not tears of sadness, but tears of joy. “Damn Owen, I thought I'd never see ya again!” He forced himself to chuckled as he patted my back.

“I thought you were gone for good!” I echoed his actions. “I never want to let you go. I'm never going to let you out of my sight again!”

Another two hands went over my shoulder. I turned to see mom and Mitch beaming with delight. “Happy birthday, Owen.” They chimed in unison.

“B-but how...?” I had to force the question out.

“Well...” Mom began gently. “...I knew it was the right thing to do after I found out about his parents not making it through that day. I was also seeing that you were truly concerned for him, which, I'll be honest, I haven't seen you do for too many people. So the decision wasn't really that hard.”

“And in order to pull it off...” Mitch picked up where she left off. “...your mom and I got married and I moved in so we could pull our finances together, which also looked good on the paperwork. For a while, it looked like we weren't going to be approved for adopting Jake, but by some miracle, everything worked out. Now here we are. One big happy – if not unusual – family.”

“Wait a minute.” I held my hand up while shaking my head still confused. “How come I didn't know all this was happening?”

Instantly mom grinned. “Its amazing what we can get done while you're at school. Though sometimes you did get a little too close without meaning to. The new bed in the spare room, the new clothes hanging in that closet...”

“What about that pack of adult pullups and the baby powder sitting in the closet upstairs?” I questioned pointing upwards.

Hearing this, Jake turned five shades of pink. “I-uh-I can explain that one...but in private.” He motioned while nudging me towards the stairs. Once in the unused bedroom next to my room, Jake went over to the closet and opened it to reveal a pack of pullups and the bottle of baby powder. As he held the items in his hands, he stared at me with large pleading eyes that said it all. “Please don't laugh, but I...I have a tendency to have some accidents at night.”

“What?” I tilted my head to the side.

“When I'm sleeping, I tend to lose control of it.” He glanced down at the front of his black jeans briefly before meeting my eyes again. “So to keep from wrecking my clothes and the bed, I have to wear these.” He spoke raising up the green pack of adult pullups, then the bottle of lavender scented baby powder. “And this is what you smelled during our first sleepover; I got defensive because I realized you could smell it perfectly fine while I was accustomed to the scent.”

“Hey bro don't worry about it. After everything that's happened, I'm just glad your okay. If anyone starts givin' ya trouble because of your night thing, then tell me and I'll beat the crap out of them!”

“How?” He asked with a snickering tone. “You can't even beat a video game!”

Suddenly I lunged while cackling in laughter; before Jake knew it, I had my arm around his neck in a firm but loose headlock. After he analyzed the situation, he spun around and moved in a way that not only freed him from the hold, but also put me in a slack sleeper hold. With a demented grin, I shifted my weight until I was on my knees free from his grip where I reared back and grabbed his leg forcing him to fall onto his back. As he laughed, I brought his knee to his chest, my left arm keeping under the joint while I used both hands to pin his arms across each other over his neck.

“This is something you can't learn from video games!” I grinned then let go of him finally helping him back to his feet.

“Damn you've got some moves.” Jake smiled and shook his head. “You ever thought of joining the wrestling team?”

“Nah. I don't like wearing those skimpy clothes that look like colored tissues.”

--- --- ---

The room was dark and nearly quiet. An occasional cricket chirping in the distance was the only sound as I rolled onto my back and slid my hands behind my head only to stare at the blackened ceiling. It had been a wild day and my mind was nowhere ready for rest, constant thoughts that danced through my head kept me away from sleep. Memories of helping to get Jake settled in, the massive feast for dinner, even mom and Mitch giving me a model train set and track expansion pack for birthday gifts. Movement caught my attention; I glanced over far enough to see my door swinging open with the faintest of squeaks.

“Owen?” Jake's voice pierced the unnatural silence of the countryside.

“Yeah? Jake?” I asked back while moving into a sitting position on the edge of the bed.

Ever so cautiously, he slowly shuffled over taking a perch on the bed next to me, a familiar lavender scent filling the air around his black shirt and like colored shorts. “I guess you can't sleep either.”

“Not after a day like today.”

“I wanted to say, that um-that you're the only real friend I've ever had.” Jake smiled and draped his arm over my shoulder until we were leaning against each other. “Anyone else would have just left me behind when the shit hit the fan. But you didn't. You came back, you stayed at my side, you fought for me. Nobody else would have.”

“That's nothing. You're the one that gave me sanity; you allowed my to truly feel alive. If it wasn't for you, I probably would have disappeared never to be seen or heard from again.” I paused for a few brief moments for the sentiments to sink in and for us to reflect on everything that was just said. Then I raised my head slightly and looked him square in the eyes. “You saw it too, didn't you. The urban legend of the demon face in the dust wall.”

“Yeah.” He muttered almost too silent to be heard while nodding. “But now we know, it's more than just some legend.”

Tripped

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Babyfur
  3. Other
Five months earlier.

I leaned back in my desk while drawing a deep relaxing breath. Standing at the front of the classroom, Mr. Arnot wrote different numbers on the board just as he usually did during historical Jeopardy. From my vantage point in the back of the class with Jake at my side, I could keep track of everything happening in the class and the early afternoon skies starting to darken. Even though I normally didn't have problems focusing on the days lessons, there was something about the weather outside that kept drawing my attention towards the windows along the far wall.

The longer the day wore on, the more the skies blackened until it was almost an eerie early dusk backdrop. As Jake and I walked along the quiet streets on our way home from school, I couldn't stop from glancing upwards at the pale orange glow of street lights dotting our path. Far above them, and us, clouds blackened and winds kicked up in speed. Tall grass along the roadside blew onto its side, we brought our arms and hand upwards to project our eyes from speckles of dust and dirt blasting towards us.

“You ever see anything like this before?” I called out in a raised tone of voice to be heard over the howling winds. The very moment we turned onto our street, torrential downpours let loose from the skies soaking everything, and us. Thunder rumbled overhead following flickers of light arcing between earth and atmosphere.

“No, never before!” He barked in response. Even though it took roughly five minutes to finish the trek to Jake's house, it felt like an eternity within the worsening weather. Once safely in his house, we dumped our backpacks onto the floor just inside the front door. Then he kicked off his waterlogged boots and socks while I ripped off my sandals. I moved to a large window while sliding out of my soaked shirt as Jake yanked off his own shirt and headed into the hallway closet. After a few seconds, he returned with two towels for each of us. “Now THAT'S what I call a gully-washer!” He laughed slinging one of the towels all over himself.

“I already had a shower today, I didn't need a second one.” I laughed while rubbing myself down with the towels he gave me.

“How about we get our clothes in the dryer while we do our homework?” He asked, his glaring eyes peeking over the cloth drying his face.

“I'll get the snacks, you get the clothes.”

“Deal.”

Ten minutes later, our clothes were in the dryer in the utility room, and we sat around the living room with the towels covering us. As we did our homework, both of us were also paying attention to the weather reports interrupting the normal TV shows. At first, they started off as simple storm alerts, but by the time we got done our work, the alerts were tornado watches and warnings for the entire town.

“Look at that.” Jake scoffed shaking his head and pointed to a radar map on the TV screen. “Never seen anything like that before, the way those clouds have a hook and circular shape.”

“That's like, a tornado cloud, right?” I asked.

“If the weather forecasters are right, that's what it is.”

Time marched on silently. Soon enough our work was done, our clothes were dry and the weather was getting even worse still. I grinned drawing a deep breath. “Man it feels good to get into dry clothes again.” I chuckled while slipping my sandals back on making sure to loop the velcro straps around the backs of my heels.

Almost instantly, Jake turned after slipping his shirt on and smirked. “I don't suppose you've heard the legend of the demon face, have ya?”

“Demon...face?” I quizzed shifting my eyes upwards and to the right.

“Yeah, its an old legend from like a hundred years ago or something like that. Anyhow, the story goes, that if you see a demons face in the vortex of a tornado, you're pretty much dead.”

“Oh bull!” I laughed wildly. “Tornadoes are still a bit of a mystery, but science says they're nothing more than a vortex of wind that forms when warm surface air meets cooler air in the atmosphere. Add in some downdrafts, and voila, a tornado. Just like that one...” I pointed towards the window on my left side.

I watched as Jake's eyes suddenly went wide with terror. Instantly both of us snapped our heads to the TV to find nothing but static on the screen, within seconds, the power went out leaving no sounds but our breaths and a subtle yet defined rumbling that sounded just like a fully loaded freight train hauling along at a decent speed.

“Aw hell.” I muttered turning back to find Jake transfixed on the V shaped cloud stretching from earth to sky heading right towards us. “What do we do, Jake!?!” I bellowed and shook his arm, yet his glare remained on the twister trying to hide behind a wall of rain and hail. “Jake!” I snapped then shook him hard enough to jolt him from the trance. For a few brief seconds I looked out the window and found odd darker shades of gray in the wall of the vortex, and for a split second, I saw what held his attention.

“Basement!” Jake shouted and grabbed me while lunging for the hallway door leading down into the entertainment room. We moved quickly, the rumbling turned to roaring as the ground and house shook. The windows in the living room behind us blew out in a shower of glass and rain, even without looking back, I could tell that something big and heavy now occupied the space where we just were.

“Go! Go!” I shouted, pushing him along. There was a sudden loud blast as the wall to our left began to bulge then buckle, before my very eyes, a long two-by-four beam pierced through the wall and lodged itself into the wall to our right. I stopped and gasped as Jake slammed head first into the wood beam with enough force that he ricocheted off it and landed hard on his back. “Jake!” I shouted and knelt down next to him. “Come on get up we gotta go!” I hollered and pulled him back to his feet, he stood wobbly with a distant look in his eyes. I could only focus on the door to the basement forcing myself to block out the hell breaking loose around us.

Even as we managed to make it down the steps to the entertainment room, the commotion overhead continued. The roaring was deafening, the entire house shook violently, wall panels came down around us, ceiling panels fell free from their supports. Jake reached over grabbing a large spotlight as I went for an unusually large medical kit laying on a shelf next to his gaming console.

“Bathroom.” Jake lazily pointed to a door in the far corner. An explosion thundered above us just as we leapt into the white tiled space, he took cover between the toilet and the sink while I ducked down into the furthest corner. The roaring became too much to handle, crashes and explosions overhead put my nerves over the edge. The monster was over us, doing everything it could to get to us, but it couldn't. Another loud blast thundered out, but this one was closer and louder. With all of the hell going on around us, the one thing I could focus on was Jake's screaming. But then I glanced over to find him cowering in a perfectly still position, his eyes and mouth tightly clamped shut; he wasn't the one screaming.

I was.

Everything shook violently. I shut my eyes tightly and waited for the flash of pain then the black nothingness of death.

Only it never came.

Everything was deadly still. Above me, eerie ghostly sounds of creaking wood and settling debris was a haunting reminder of what had just happened. I didn't dare to open my eyes, because I knew that if I did, I would regret it. After drawing a deep breath I cautiously moved my arms and legs to make sure they were still there and working as they should.

“Owen?” A gentle voice called out from next to me, but it seemed to be hundreds of miles away.

“Yeah, Jake. I'm here.” I called back. “You okay?” I asked, still keeping my eyes closed.

“I-I think so; my heads aching pretty good though...” Jake trailed off as a gust of wind blew down into the basement that we used as a shelter. It was only then that I dared to open my eyes and look around. Nothing looked like it did. A formerly open space that was used as a game room had been turned into a disaster zone; there were no stairs leading up to the first floor of the house, ceiling and wall panels had been ripped away and strewn about, the couch that was in the center of the space was now blocking the doorway of the small bathroom Jake and I huddled in. A few fading spots of light pierced the darkness, until a new light flickered to life. This one, though, was brighter, more defined.

I turned to my left to find Jake moving into a crouching position with a high intensity search light in his hands. In the pale glow of the light I found Jake's young face appearing older, perhaps more hardened. Tufts of yellow blond hair was stained red from a long gash on the center-left side of his forehead, trickles of blood dripped down onto his face and dark blue shirt.

“God what I mess...” I had to force myself to chuckle as I reached for a large blue metal box with a red cross on the lid. After opening it, I pulled several sterilized packs of gauze and applied them gently but firmly to the wound on Jake's head. This was followed by a few rounds of sports wrap to keep everything in place until proper help could be found.

Once he was patched up, both of us stood making sure to avoid low lying rubble and carefully made our way over the couch on our way to the missing stare case and the accompanying gaping hole in the floor.

“How do you suppose we get up?” He asked.

“Like this...” I grinned and reached over to a book case laying on its side, and with a few grunts and some foul language, I managed to upright the shelving unit until it was perched at an odd angle on the wall. I watched as Jake slowly but surely made it up the awkward transition then disappeared from view. Then I started to slowly climb the side of the unit, my sandals making it a little harder as they didn't have the grip that Jake's boots did; almost at the gouge in the floor above me, his arm came back down and grabbed the back of my shirt helping me the rest of the way up.

What I saw next made me wish I'd stayed in the basement. Standing by each others side, we glanced around to find darkening skies, lightning flashing on the distance, thunder rumbling over the horizon, and six houses on the street completely leveled to their foundations.

“Dude...” Jake gasped as he spun around, his expression and body language revealing the true levels of his shocked surprise. “...where's my house!?!”

“Where's your house?” I asked just as dumbfounded as him. “Where's the neighborhood?”

A sudden low groaning creaking sound echoed below us. Jake and I instantly glanced at each other. Barely audible cracking wood rang out. Within seconds we ran as fast as possible over the broken and twisted remains of the home; it wasn't until we were on grass and dirt that we stopped and looked back just in time to see the pile of rubble falling into the basement with a thunderous roar and plumes of dust billowing upwards. Without warning, Jake sat down on the grass then drew his knees to his chest and stared blankly at the empty space where his home once stood. Not knowing what else to do, I sat down beside him and put my hand on his shoulder.

No matter how many times I closed my eyes hoping that I would wake up and have to get ready for school or to find out I had dozed off in Jake's living room, I knew that every time I would open my eyes, I'd see that the nightmare was only beginning.

LushieCat

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I'm glad you finished the story.
It was a very emotional tornado for me, reading the rest of it. You really know how to make tear up.
The relationship between Jake and Owen was definitely the strongest part of the story and very well done so. A very deep and loving bond between two people.
The nighttime incontinence thing was sort of inserted awkwardly to be perfectly honest. You could have made him fully incontinent after the accident. Heh. Just kidding. I just mean, it sort of came out of nowhere, and if Owen had in fact found them, it doesn't seem really valid that he'd bring it up right then and there. I would say it's unlikely of most people, and especially a 15 year old, in front of his parents. It's just not a very casual conversation to have.

I absolutely love the random chronology of the story. Definitely adds a great storytelling effect, but the 5 months earlier, 12 months earlier, and so on are more appropriate if a chronological shift occurs only a few times in a story rather than it being the way the story is told. If we have a stable present moment, then it makes a bit more sense, but suddenly in post #8 you shift to months later without a clearly defined time period. It confused me, because it feels like I have to do math to figure out when it happens and pay more attention to remembering the time periods.

Generally extremely enjoyable and flows very well in terms of plot. The imagery is done really well as well, so as the reader I really felt the tone and mood of the story, and reacted really strongly to each part. Great Job!!
*pats you on the back*

Shaunikins321

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
A fantastic story, very well-written and not your stereotypical diaper story.
As JubeyKitty said, I feel like the diaper part was inserted awkwardly. It could have been just as good a story without it (was that the original intention? Was it modified for ADISC?)

Keep it up

aviationchild

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
It is nice to see a (mostly) non ABDL story pop up occasionally. A good change from the usual around here. Like the others, I feel that the diaper part was inserted awkwardly and somewhat unnecessary. Perhaps you could have done more with it to make it seem more relevant to the story, or left it out altogether.