The ABDL jellyfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleDinosaur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Err... sort of. I think I was watching vsauce recently and heard about this jellyfish called Turritopsis that, after reaching sexual maturity, can regress it's body back into infancy.

Now, obviously, a jellyfish has a much simpler cellular makeup than a human, and I'd hardly rather be a jellyfish than a human. Additionally it isn't a 'baby' in the same way a human would be; more like a larva.

Anyway, I just thought the idea of an animal that turns itself back into a 'baby' would interest the community... Or something. I just thought it was cool!

BabyBeau

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
It's a cool animal for sure, but more importantly; VSAUCE!!!!

ShadowHare

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
Really interesting.
Now, all we need to do is nom some of those creatures, and we´ll be young forever, right?
... Right?

C

Cherub

I knew some creatures were capable to fascinating feats such as regrowing a severed limb. But I've never heard of any creature that was capable of this. A very interesting fact indeed. However I agree with you, there is no other creature or animal I'd ever want to be. The intellect that humans have is unique in itself.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
I've been doing some experiments with this jellyfish's DNA, but so far, I've only lost my skeletal structure!

ozbub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Little
I've been doing some experiments with this jellyfish's DNA, but so far, I've only lost my skeletal structure!
Straighten yourself out and start again... You may be on to something😬

BluMew

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Anyway, I just thought the idea of an animal that turns itself back into a 'baby' would interest the community... Or something. I just thought it was cool!
Hi, this is my first post here. I hope I don't start off on the wrong foot with this post.

However, from what I read -- i've not seen this vsauce episode -- it seems like the "regression" here isn't what you might want it to be. Maybe you realize this though, I don't know. It's still pretty interesting, I did not know about this jelly. Thanks!

However, if you recall from your high school biology class all cells plant or animal under go a process called Mitosis. But for certain cells in your body this process turns off after they are fully developed. So, for example, if your spinal cord or other nerves are damaged or severed there is no way to repair or regrow the nerve tissue -- the damage is permanent. :sad:

If i'm reading the article, right, it seems that this jellyfish can somehow reactivate or "regress" its cells to their earlier stage causing them to grow again and repair any damage done. This is, of course, very different from what you might want its "regression" capability to mean.

For similar reason, though, this is why human stem cells are of scientific intrigue to researchers. It's from these cells that everything in your body grows from. Therefore it might be possible to control how they grow or in other words "tell" them what to become. Meaning it might be possible to use them to repair said spinal or nerve damage or for that matter grow a second heart or liver or whatever.

PurpleDinosaur

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Hi, this is my first post here. I hope I don't start off on the wrong foot with this post.

However, from what I read -- i've not seen this vsauce episode -- it seems like the "regression" here isn't what you might want it to be. Maybe you realize this though, I don't know. It's still pretty interesting, I did not know about this jelly. Thanks!

However, if you recall from your high school biology class all cells plant or animal under go a process called Mitosis. But for certain cells in your body this process turns off after they are fully developed. So, for example, if your spinal cord or other nerves are damaged or severed there is no way to repair or regrow the nerve tissue -- the damage is permanent. :sad:

If i'm reading the article, right, it seems that this jellyfish can somehow reactivate or "regress" its cells to their earlier stage causing them to grow again and repair any damage done. This is, of course, very different from what you might want its "regression" capability to mean.

For similar reason, though, this is why human stem cells are of scientific intrigue to researchers. It's from these cells that everything in your body grows from. Therefore it might be possible to control how they grow or in other words "tell" them what to become. Meaning it might be possible to use them to repair said spinal or nerve damage or for that matter grow a second heart or liver or whatever.

Turritopsis can — and do — die, however. Their regeneration only occurs after sexual maturation, therefore they can succumb to predators or disease in the polyp stage. But because the jellyfish are the only known animal with this “immortality,” scientists are studying them closely, with the hopes of applying what they learn to issues such as human aging and illness.

This last paragraph seems to imply that their bodies revert back to a state prior to sexual maturity. So, should they contract a disease or be attacked by a predator before then, they are unable to regenerate, and die.

I know what you mean, but I think this is beyond stem-cells. All multicellular life has regenerative capabilities. Through the process of mitosis, new cells are created to replace the ones that have been damaged, ensuring you won't die from a paper cut. But this jellyfish seems to be able to grow up, become an adult, live for a while, and convert itself back to the physical state of 'childhood'. It would be like if an adult human could become a fetus again.

This may not have been from vsauce, I saw it somewhere, made an ABDL parallel, but just didn't post it. I came across this again, read up some more on it, and decided to post about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.