The 5 most influential games to YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
So on another site I visit frequently there is a thread like this, and I think it's interesting to see how games have affected people, be it because you've wasted a lot of time on the game, because the game has made you think differently, or whatever other reason there might be... so I thought I'd make a thread here as well. The list doesn't have to be numbered (though it can be if you want to), and it can be console as well as PC games.

My list would look like this:

• World of Warcraft - I wasted countless hours on this game, probably close to a full year (24/7/365) when all characters are combined. I like to think that my leadership and teamwork skills have improved from this game though... at least just to convince myself that it wasn't a TOTAL waste of time.
  • Counter-Strike - The first multi-player FPS I played and also the first game that I spent many hours a day on for a long period.
  • Final Fantasy IX - The first fantasy game I was hooked on, and one of the games that made me realize that good stories don't have to come from books or movies. I didn't even understand english too well at the time, but I still loved it.
  • Diablo II - The first multiplayer fantasy game I played, and I spent quite a lot of time on this as well (though not as much as on WoW or CS).
  • Half-Life - First single-player FPS I played, and it led me to CS.

ajsco

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
Call of Duty (all of them really, but 4, just wow nothing beats it. I only play cod5 for glitches and zombies)
Need for speed (anything pre carbon really, I have EVERY one of them, this one has to be the most influential for me. I still play HP2. And this is for anyone up for some nostalgia - YouTube - Need For Speed History (1995 - 2008))
Gran Turismo (the whole series)
Crash Bandicoot (many, many hours spent playing)
Driver (wow just wow, I remember getting Driver 2 - and you could actually get out of the car!!!)

I could go on to demonstrate more - but it is past 1am, I have a test tomorrow. Not to mention I have barely slept at all over the past forever, but I shant go into details.

Ultima

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Woot for Crash Bandicoot and Driver, I LOVED those games so much. The ones that I've loved the MOST are probably (not in this particular order, just listing):

1. Metal Gear series (ALL of them, you can't go wrong. You want a game with a story, there ya go).
2. The Armored Core series (The only game I spend more time customizing my Core than actually playing).
3. Kingdom Hearts 1&2 (Beautiful mixture of two different things. Disney + Final Fantasty = WIN).
4. Guitar Hero/Rock Band (Everyone needs to have an addiction lol).

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
1. super Mario Brothers 3.
2. Portal
3. Pokemon gold/sliver
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Legend Of Legia

Ultima

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
OMFG Another person who knows what Legend of Legaia is!!! ^_^ I love that game SO much. The fighting style was really revolutionary.

dinorider

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I can hardly say that a lot of games have really influenced me outside of gaming itself, but I'll give it a shot:

Super Mario Bros. (NES): My first game. It made me the gamer I am today, and to an extent I guess it (among other games) sparked my love for 8-bit music. Something that I use pretty frequently in my own lame attempts at music.

Shadowrun (SNES): No, not the crappy online FPS. The superb RPG. Me and my brother used a lot of parts of the game for real life playing when I was a kid. Though I never got to be Jake. I got to be Norbert.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES): This game was my life or about a year. Everything I though about was Zelda. Zelda, Zelda, Zelda.

Final Fantasy VII (PSX): Much like redzin, it made me realize that a video game can be just as rewarding story wise as a book or a movie. Also, it made me cry.

Final Fantasy VIII (PSX): Now, this is kind of embarrassing, but I actually had a mild crush on one of the characters. Which one I will leave to your imagination.

Jon

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Well,

1. Max Payne - The film noir genre sucks me right into the game. I loved everything about this game, and still do. The graphics still look competitive, and it made me question what morality really is. Max Payne 2 was awesome also.
2. Age of Empires 2 - Best RTS EVER. I've spent more time playing it than any other game hands down. I love everything about it, and it was also the first game I played multiplayer on a LAN with my friends.
3. Counter-Strike - Probably my favorite FPS easily. The gameplay is so straightforward, there's less qq, more pew pew.
4. World of Warcraft - God this game has consumed my life at different times. I love the idea of MMOs, and my 2 best rl friends play with me, and we're in the same guild, so it's AWESOME.
5. Splinter-Cell - Awesome game, I love the fact that it's all about stealth, procedure, and strategy, but still has all the elements of a good shooter. I could play splinter cell 1 forever and not get tired of it. The ones after it were tight too, starting in chaos theory the missions were non-linear, meaning you could go wherever you want and do anything within the guidelines of the missions, and all you had to do was accomplish the main objectives. It opened up the entire game experience.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Those games that touched me in all the ways I want a good game to also happen to be genre-defining brilliance. I guess that just means that my taste is that awesome!

DooM - Wolfenstein 3D was just practice; this game was what shot first-person shooters into their own genre, and to this day, there is no first-person shooter that can compare. If you think otherwise, you are simply wrong. Never has a game caused nationwide work productivity to diminish. This wasnt just a game when it came out -- it was a phenomenon. The gaming world exploded when this bitch hit the shelves and didn't cool off for several years.

Final Fantasy VII - Seriously, people who don't think this game was good need to probably slit their own wrists. While Final Fantasy was popular before this, this skyrocketed the series into timelessness.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Side-scrolling platforming action at its absolute best. The formula has not yet been recreated. They've tried, but they just can't reach the level of this masterpiece.

Zork - Seriously, do we even need to debate this one?

Prince of Persia - You know, the original for the IBM back in the late 80s? The first game that made people go, "Oh my God, games can be violent!" This was the grand-daddy of violent games, and while the new iterations are amazing, nothing can beat this.

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Private
The Darkness: Awesome story line. The ending actually made me almost cry, and the game itself is freaking awesome

Second Sight: Another awesome game. Really good story, and the psychic powers were fun

Banjo-Kazooie (all of them): They weren't really that influential, they are just my favorite.

Donkey Kong (Country): I think it was my first game on my first game system. I remember playing it for hours, and quickly surpassing my parents.

I don't know for the 5th one...So I'll just say No More Heroes...It was fun using the controller...Graphics weren't that great though, and falling of your bike was incredibly annoying...

Role
  1. Other
1. Pong, everything had to have a start.
2. pedit5 because computer role playing had to have a start

To be honest only those two matter, all are derived from one or both of them.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
  3. Diaperfur
Let's see.

1. GTA III. This was the first GTA game I played, as well as the first sandbox game I played. Oh, and it was insanely awesome too.

2. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was challenging, and clever. First game I played, I think.

3. Perfect Dark. If OoT wasn't the first, this was. I played this game when I was 5 years old. I'll still pick up the ol' N64 controller now, and go play the G5 Building.

4. Metal Gear Solid 3. I just finished this one. It was incredible. I mean, I was blown away by the storyline and game play. I cried at the end. It was so sad.

5. The Sims. I loved the way you could control people's lives. It was great. I have spent countless hours on the Sims, and the Sims 2. They are both stunning games.

--The Silent Assassin--

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
3. Perfect Dark. If OoT wasn't the first, this was. I played this game when I was 5 years old. I'll still pick up the ol' N64 controller now, and go play the G5 Building.

Goldeneye was better, Perfect Dark felt majorly clunky and tossed in any weapon they could think of. I couldn't even list all the guns in that game and I still own it.

OMFG Another person who knows what Legend of Legaia is!!! ^_^ I love that game SO much. The fighting style was really revolutionary.

Pfff. I tracked down a copy of it 4 years ago, I am never letting that game go. I still need to finish it, I never got past the first dungeon yet. But I do know its a great game just due to the story line itself, also fighting/rpg combined, genius.

Rheeer

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Sissy
  3. Carer
1. Final Fantasy VII - The most revolutionary game so far in the history of gaming. While FF was a good franchise up to this point, this was what games WANTED to be but never had been. It was also the reason I stopped playing games because I knew I would never again have the time or will to put that much energy (and life...hell, emotions) into a game again.

2. Metroid (NES) - To me, this was the birth of all the "dark" shooters that followed. Being a lover of darker games, this has to be way up on my list.

3. A Link To The Past - Just perfection. The best SNES game by head and shoulders.

4. Super Mario Bros. 3 - I don't think this will ever be topped in the Mario series. A damn challenging game that combined Mario's sidescrolling with a board game feel. Very cool.

5. Wolfenstein 3D/Doom - The birth of the first person shooter? Ayup.

6. Grand Theft Auto 3 - Like FFVII, this was a light-years leap for the franchise.

DLGrif

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Babyfur
1) Space Quest V - Seriously, an old adventure game like this? Space Quest IV was more challenging and thought-provoking, but this is where I started. This game taught me patience, problem-solving skills, creativity, and the importance of taking notes and keeping many save files. It gave me with the gamer's eyes that I would need for the years ahead.

2) Sonic 3 & Knuckles - I became obsessed with this game when I first got it. Sonic didn't make me a furry, but he gave me my fanatic love for all things fast, efficient, and cool. It would be ten years later that I learned about "speed running" games, but I'd already been doing that.

3) Dance Dance Revolution Max (PS2) - I estimate I have blown over $1500 in my DDR career. It all began in the arcades, where I got to the 7/8-foot level, but after one summer with a PS2 set up in the gym with brand-new Cobalt Flux pads, I pushed myself to pass Max 300 with an A. Now I play on a modified In The Groove 2 cabinet, and have passed an 11-footer, and two 10-footers on Doubles mode.

4) Final Fantasy VII - My introduction to JRPGs. I didn't think it was possible to become so emotionally attached to video game characters like you do book characters or movie characters. You all know what I mean, so I'll leave it at that.

5) Homeworld - The 3D Space RTS that could. The experience is impossible to describe in words, you'll have to play it for yourself. The plotline, dialogue, music, gameplay, environment, and variety of challenges and enemies, all work together to immerse you in the tale of an exiled race seeking their home planet, putting all the hopes and resources of humanity into a gigantic mothership that cruises warily but steadily through the lonely, dangerous unknown.

Scratchpaws

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
My most influential games:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (plus expansions)
Unreal Tournament
Lineage: The Blood Pledge
Diablo II (including Lord of Destruction)
Soldier of Fortune

Nowadays im mostly playing CounterStrike:Source and Day of Defeat:Source, but i can also end up in a World of Warcraft craze every once in a while.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
I am terrible at finishing computer games. In the list of games below I probably won't have finished a single one. However, I know games that I consider to be influential, and a lot of the times they are the ones I regret that I never finished.

Colossal Cave Adventure
- The first ever text adventure, and a game that has given us jokes and phrases that are still used today - xyzzy, a twisty little maze of passages, What, with your bare hands? - all of which I have seen elsewhere. It created a genre, and did it in style.

Also, if you use pidgin or mIRC try /xyzzy, and you will see the legacy this game has had.

Homeworld - One of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. It was a true innovation in RTS gaming, a 3D space environment with almost totally free movement. The story is gripping and the music score is one of the best I've ever heard in a game. Compared to most RTSs, in space or otherwise, the number of different challenges you have to face is truely amazing.

Populous: the Beginning - The first game I ever brought with my own money, and the game I regret having not finished more than any other. Compared to the other games in my list it probably isn't nearly as good, but I still love it. For me it is nostalgic - it is my game, the one it took me 3 months to save up for and cost me £30. The game my parents went out and brought for me while I was in school, so I didn't have to wait for the weekend. It was the first time I had saved up for anything, before then all my pocket money went on impulse buying when I got it. A good game, not a special one in terms of game design, but a special one for me.

Portal - I've played the starts of HL and HL2 and found them enthralling. In fact I wish I could get off my backside and finish them. But they pale in comprasion with what was meant to be an offshoot from the series. In about 2 hours of gameplay, this game makes you think, is absoloutely hilarious, and gave us 'The Cake is a Lie', 'Still Alive' and the Companion Cube, and lots of other phrases that I am sure people will remember long into the future. Okay - the graphics and so on are a lot more complex but the feel is like that of a much older game, simple - but it grabs you by the balls and won't let go until you finish.

Lemmings - Little men with green hair. This puzzle solving game is truely addictive. After the first group of 'easy' levels they get quite difficult very quickly. The game is a simple but very effective idea, and one that I can play for hours on end just trying to get the next level done, then the next, then the next. The music is annoying, but I find myself humming it long after I stop playing. Later versions weren't so good but Lemmings and Oh No More Lemmings are some of the most addictive games I have ever played.

There are other games like Elite, the Civilization Series (and especially the Alpha Centauri spinoff) and the MSG series that I considered putting down. They are great, and sometimes very influencial games, but I think the games on my list are the ones I will go back to again and again and again.

And again.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Other
Populous: the Beginning

I love that game myself as well, never finished it either, got to the last level and can never seem to keep all my villagers alive. I'll actually put a post in this thread some time later, i need to review all the games i played.

Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
Deus Ex: The first game where I really enjoyed the story, truly felt like it was central to the game. Also revolutionary in that there was no set path to take to beat the level. I'd love to see a modern remake with better graphics, more characters and more interactivity.

Seastalker: A hokie text adventure from Infocom. But it was the first video game I ever played, on my Dad'd Commodore 64.(for 64k of ram, not 64-bit, children)

Max Payne: Another of the few video games where the story was truly part of the game. Also the first *really* fun shooter I had played

Microsoft Flight Simulator 5.0: The first flight sim I ever played. That's the one that started it all. I still tell my Dad that he should pay for my flying lessons, as it's his fault I want to learn to fly.

Zork (All of them). Not only one of the first video games I played, it's how I learned to type.

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Mzkk,

Portal really is an immensely amazing game! The amount of plot they were able to gram into such a small game was absolutely outstanding. More games should be made with that kind of love and focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.