That toolbar at the top is really, really long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
This is something that's been kinda egging me on for a while. It was present on the old TBDL too.

Basically I think there are too many buttons on the bar on the top. It makes my Firefox running in fullscreen mode @ 1024x768 have the dreaded horizontal scroll bars, which tends to make navigation a little hard. It also sticks out the side of the page which is a little bit ugly. Is it possible that you could consolidate some of the links into menus so as to make that nav bar less... intrusive?

I think a good way to re-organize it would be:

• User CP
  • Other sections
    • Blogs
    • Answer Pages (Wiki)
    • Galleries
    • Links & Downloads
  • Members list (text changed to Memberlist for shortness)
  • Search
  • Quick Links
  • Log out

--Danny :ninja:

Reactions: Moo

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I get the same thing here running @ 1200x1024 because I don't browse with my browser maximized. Though, it never seemed to happen to me on the old site.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
My cached pages from the old TBDL scroll slightly farther horizontally than the new version. BTW, if Moo wants those cached pages for recovery purposes or to get an idea of what all was installed on there, I'll try to zip the pages up and upload them somewhere.

Cen Aeonis

Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Strange. The toolbar looks just fine for me at 800x600 resolution...

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
It's a bit long for me too. I see the S in Search, and I have to scroll form there.

Takashi

Always willing to give help to those who seek it.
Est. Contributor
Role
Carer
I agree with Danny's idea for a new toolbar layout it would work alot better.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
If I have my browser maximised I can see everything over to 'Search'...to the right of that I would have to scroll (which I seldom do).

Why not use some of those LINKS at the TOP where it says "link link Drop down link link link link link" for things like User CP and Donate and Members List etc and keep things like "Blogs" "Live Chat" "Wiki" "Galleries" etc in the second row of links...I mean otherwise why have all those nonfunctioning 'links' in the first place? It would certainly look much neater, and would be more functional for the users...I would think.

Just a thought.

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
If I have my browser maximised I can see everything over to 'Search'...to the right of that I would have to scroll (which I seldom do).

Why not use some of those LINKS at the TOP where it says "link link Drop down link link link link link" for things like User CP and Donate and Members List etc and keep things like "Blogs" "Live Chat" "Wiki" "Galleries" etc in the second row of links...I mean otherwise why have all those nonfunctioning 'links' in the first place? It would certainly look much neater, and would be more functional for the users...I would think.

Just a thought.
Heh, I added the second navbar at the top so that custom entries could be split between the two navbars, with each navbar taking half of the entries.

You must have loaded the page while I was customizing the navbar, and thus it still had the default "link, link, link, link" example text there.

I had hoped to post here with a "ok, solved that with a second navbar" post, before anyone noticed the second navbar (it was up for only a few minutes before I made this post).
But, of course, ayanna noticed it and posted about it before I could :p
So much for my surprise :p

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
Sowwies...if I had gone to the wiki thing first (where I've finally uploaded all my diaper making stuff) I probably wouldn't have noticed...but may I be the first to say...w00t! Much better now...things are more easy to find...and no scrolling is necessary!

PuddleFopsKit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Incontinent
lol, I was wondering why it said link four times in a row!

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
I know it isn't good practice, but I tend to do my experimental tinkering on the live version of the site, rather than on a separate backup copy.
The reason for this is that I'm a fan of the minimal overhead style of development. If I had to duplicate this website, test, and then convert my modifications back to working on the real website... developing the site would take me twice as long, and thus it would take me twice as long to solve the requests you guys make.
Personally, I think that very rarely encountering "Link! Link! Link!" (or similar minor display glitches) it is worth it if it means your requests get addressed within 24 hours. :)

chevre

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
This is where version control comes in handy :p. Anyway, no worries. The new setup looks much better.

Raccoon

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur,
Yes; I was going to suggest pull-down menues but the current solution is much better. Way to go Moo.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
Looks great! One suggestion though:

Code:
.tborder#topnav {
  border-width: 0 1px 1px 1px;
}
And change the id of the table between the two nav bars to "topnav". Just sort of a minor tweak :)

Moo

ADISC Admin
Staff
Role
Private
Looks great! One suggestion though:

Code:
.tborder#topnav {
  border-width: 0 1px 1px 1px;
}
And change the id of the table between the two nav bars to "topnav". Just sort of a minor tweak :)

So, that just makes the border around the upper navbar thinner?

With regard to the ninja smiley... see here.

Status
Not open for further replies.