That Cat!!!

Zeke

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
I bought a new mattress in a box and a new bed headboard and frame with draws and I’m not sure how my cat’s going to take it. She like to prowl around under my current mattress and when this becomes a cat free area with the new bed frame I’m not sure how she’s going to take it. She’s also concerning me with the kneading action she’s doing on my current my mattress as I want to put a waterproof cover on my new mattress before I use it and her tiny, but deadly little claws will perforate the heck out of that mattress cover in a heartbeat nullifying the reason for having it. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of the cat!)?

Reactions: Cottontail
Maybe you could put the waterproof cover on the mattress then, cover that with a thicker or plushy blanket and then cover that with either a regular mattress cover or another waterproof if it’s partly for the crinkle? That might help protect the original cover from being punctured by your cat’s claws? I used to do that when I had a waterproof cover on my mattress, but that was mainly to reduce the loud plasticy sound it made lol plus it made the bed a little more squishy which was more comfortable for me anyway lol. I felt safe knowing that if I did wet the bed my actual mattress would remain clean and I’d just have to wash the blanket and outer cover :3

Reactions: Zeke and Cottontail
Don't they do flipflops for cats?
😹

• Haha
Reactions: Deleted member 76595 and Zeke
Zeke said:
I bought a new mattress in a box and a new bed headboard and frame with draws and I’m not sure how my cat’s going to take it. She like to prowl around under my current mattress and when this becomes a cat free area with the new bed frame I’m not sure how she’s going to take it. She’s also concerning me with the kneading action she’s doing on my current my mattress as I want to put a waterproof cover on my new mattress before I use it and her tiny, but deadly little claws will perforate the heck out of that mattress cover in a heartbeat nullifying the reason for having it. Any suggestions (other than getting rid of the cat!)?
Similar problems for me and my cat, at least with the kneading on my bed. I still have a regular mattress/box spring set up, so my cat can get under the bed without problems.
I do two things to help with the kneading situation: 1) I use 2 mattress pads on my bed. The first one is a good quality quilted waterproof mattress pad; over that one I use a regular quilted mattress pad--and then my regular sheets. So far (years...) no puncture problems. You might even want to think about a third mattress pad over the other two as a further safety precaution. 2) I trim my cat's claws on a fairly regular basis. He doesn't particularly like it, but since I am many times bigger than he is, he doesn't have any choice in the matter. I've gotten pretty skilled at using a regular fingernail clipper on him (and my previous cats as well), but there are specific animal nail clippers you can purchase at many stores with pet supplies. Good luck.

Reactions: Zeke and Cottontail
diaperbobby said:
Similar problems for me and my cat, at least with the kneading on my bed. I still have a regular mattress/box spring set up, so my cat can get under the bed without problems.
I do two things to help with the kneading situation: 1) I use 2 mattress pads on my bed. The first one is a good quality quilted waterproof mattress pad; over that one I use a regular quilted mattress pad--and then my regular sheets. So far (years...) no puncture problems. You might even want to think about a third mattress pad over the other two as a further safety precaution. 2) I trim my cat's claws on a fairly regular basis. He doesn't particularly like it, but since I am many times bigger than he is, he doesn't have any choice in the matter. I've gotten pretty skilled at using a regular fingernail clipper on him (and my previous cats as well), but there are specific animal nail clippers you can purchase at many stores with pet supplies. Good luck.
When I was looking at getting another cat after twenty years of not having one I saw that animal lovers were really freaking out over declawing cats. I had adopted two cats from a friend’s wife when they were moving nearby thirty years ago with one of them, Cocoa, being declawed and it didn’t seem to bother her a bit. While she still had the urge to knead this came without perforations. It my reading about the “horrors” of declawing they were recommending caps that are glued to the cat’s claws and are replaced a few times a year. I would think that these caps would be more frustrating to a cat than being declawed if it’s done when they’re kittens at the hands of a good vet. The only time I saw it bother Cocoa was one of the only times she was out of the house. She got overly brave and confident and chased one of the squirrels in my yard up a Chinese Elm that had a incline to the trunk of the tree allowing her to run up it. She found herself about fifteen feet up the tree before she realized that holding on to the tree was going to require claws even with the course bark of that species of tree. After deftly turning around she ran back down the tree up onto the deck and meowed loudly to get back in the house. I’ve thought about using a mattress pad or pads to prevent Tabitha from puncturing the waterproof mattress cover but that makes one more thing to wash if I happen to leak. Sadie, my dog seems to thing just not letting the cat on the bed would be the appropriate solution as it really burns her the cat get to get up there and she can’t.

I'm a human cat in human form.

Reactions: Deleted member 76595
Back