• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Tena 'Air-dry backing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Anyone ordered Tena Slip Maxis in the UK or EU recently, and if so are you still getting the plastic backed version?

I ask because Tena's web site now only lists a new version with "Air dry breathable backing", which to me means cloth backing :(.

From various web sites that offer ordering, I can't tell if they are the new version or not. I'm especially interested in ordering from Allanda or BlushingBuyer. They don't mention the air dry stuff, but has anyone got some from them recently?

I'd normally order from SaveExpress in Germany as they specify where there's a difference and try to source plastic backed in preference when possible. However the exchange rate to Euros is so bad now that it's quite expensive to order from them. Though still tempted as I can get some Abri and others at the same time.

Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
I hadn't heard about the Breathable backing and the last ones that I ordered (I think from Allanda) were still the old style plastic backed ones.

I will be disappointed if they are changing though, Tena are by far my favourite and I am not a fan of the cloth coverings.

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Allanda are still doing the plastic backed. I ordered from them about 2-3 weeks ago.

Role
Diaper Lover
Breathable backing may not be cloth like ! Cloth like backing is made by placing one more "cloth" on the plastic. It's meaningless for adult diaper but the cloth makes the diaper cost higher then the company can earn more !

RedApple

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Still getting the plastic backed Tena slips from my local chemist.

No change to the packaging either.

Poohbearboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Like it or not all diaper company going switch to it cloth stop plastic for one in more helther for skin two it save them money becuase cotton cheaper than plasice cover
and tree I like cloth back better than plastic becuase it got better tapping system stay even where pull diaper hard it rip diaper before tape pop.

Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Well don't the cloth backed ones just have a thinner plastic layer and then have a layer of cloth over it? Everyone that Ive messed with has been constructed that way. Thus idk if it breathes more, but would def cost the same if not more to make. I believe that the cloth just makes it quieter, which for people who are incontinent may be a good thing. These products for the most part aren't designed for abs/dls but incontinent people.

Lorica

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
Well don't the cloth backed ones just have a thinner plastic layer and then have a layer of cloth over it? Everyone that Ive messed with has been constructed that way. Thus idk if it breathes more, but would def cost the same if not more to make. I believe that the cloth just makes it quieter, which for people who are incontinent may be a good thing. These products for the most part aren't designed for abs/dls but incontinent people.
The "cloth" backing is the same material as fabric softener sheets.

From experience the Tena Ultra that are marketed in the US sound like what is being marketed in the UK.

In terms of cost, you still have to provide the waterproof barrier, otherwise the diaper simply doesn't do it's job. Speaking from experience the cloth backed are more prone to leaking than plastic backed. Relative to other cloth backed diapers I've tried the Tena are better in terms of leaks and sweating.

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Harmony (a European diaper) switched to cloth backing and I'm not sure there's much if any plastic underneath the cloth layer as if it's wet too much the whole outer layer becomes damp and it's clearly leaking straight out through the layers. Even then though it still holds a lot and has one of the best fits of an adult diaper in my opinion, but it's not as good as the plastic covered version sadly.

Tena has always been great in plastic backed form for prevention of leaks, and smell. I've never experienced any skin problems with Tena.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Carlos Richer is a leading consultant to the baby disposable diaper industry. He started the business of manufacturing disposables in Latin America. Google him because his website will tell you more about the construction of disposable than any of us might want to know.

Gary Hirsch is the designer of many of the generic adult disposables made world wide. Google his website to learn technical details of adult diapers.

The whole "cloth-like" thing started because mothers disliked the feel of poly-plastic outer layer against their arms when they were carrying their baby. As Richer points out, the baby cannot tell the difference. This cloth-like outer layer is a combination of a really thin poly-plastic film with a spun plastic non-woven film. In another answer a member compared that to fabric softener dryer sheet and that is correct. There is no woven cotton involved.

A classic poly-plastic outer layer has the advantage that it slides on sheets without clinging. Clinging pulls gaps which leak. A downside to conventional poly-plastic is that it is very difficult to remove a sticky tape without ruining the diaper. A work-around is a stiffer landing zone.

In theory all the cloth-like outer layer is half of a Velcro fastening system, so that sort of tab can be repositioned. Often the cloth-like layer can be made slightly stretchy and more flexible than poly-plastic. We all know some poly-plastic diapers are very flexible. Some cloth-like work better than others. We also know that cloth-like works much better on baby diapers because actual babies pee much less per area of diaper than do adults and babies get their diaper changed more frequently. Nearly always a poly-plastic diaper can be more completely soaked without leaks than could cloth-like.

In 1990 when I joined DPF at age 26 only a tiny percentage of ABDL members were younger than me. There was hardly any interest in disposable adult diapers. All the messages were about actual cloth, so I fit right in. Over the years people who never wore cloth as a kid are now the majority of most ABDL groups. To these nice people poly-plastic is the favorite outer layer. As younger and younger people join the ABDL community probably in another 10 years cloth-like outer layer will be considered the standard.

Diapers are diapers. The thing is we have to use a particular diaper to suit its construction. Because a cotton diaper soaks all over almost always they deal better with large floods of pee. Modern disposables have a feel-dry layer to protect the skin that does not allow as rapid absorption, but mixed with the fluff is gel that really handles a large volume of pee so long as it is dribbled.

We need to send comments to diaper manufacturers telling them the features we like. If enough people buy poly-plastic diapers they will continue in production as long as the machines making them can be operated and the raw material is available.

A

ani

STRONGLY dislike the "breathable" backing. They chaffe my sensitive legs.

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Many people of all ages suffer reaction and feel chafed by modern diapers with built-in leg gathers and elastic. Nearly always the leg gathers are made deliberately stiff. The pseudo elastic or elastic polymer includes latex to which a large percentage are allergic.

The advantage to older classic diaper design is that they included no latex or leg gathers.

Sometimes people write diaper reviews, which can be useful freedom of expression. Sometimes those same people do not understand why their opinions are not accepted by diaper manufacturers.

Take Attends as an example. In 1981 when I needed to transition from wearing pinned gauze diapers to be at home to a disposable in my university dorm where I could not wash cloth diapers, the only adult diaper available small enough for me was Attends. At the time Attends were the leading brand although fewer retail stores stocked Small.

In those days no disposable diaper was stretchy. We all learned to deal with a lack of elastic at the legs and waist as we had with waterproof panties over our cloth diapers. The better brands of plastic panties even then used Lycra as the elastic which is intended to irritate less than traditional latex-based elastic.

What I noticed once I learned to sleep in Attends was that when I woke up there was no mark around my thighs from elastic. By the time I arrived at my dorm I was so happy with the feel of the Attends I had no craving for a return to cloth diapers and separate plastic panties. Sure, the downside without leg gathers is that we need to not over fill classic diapers.

Diapers designed for use by professional care givers assume the changes will be on schedule and immediately when necessary. That is a legal and ethical responsibility of the medical profession. Therefore it is not necessary to make such diapers with excessive capacity. It violates professional standards of care to leave a patient in the same diaper for 8 hours without a valid reason, such as sleeping at night when urine flow is naturally reduced.

Therefore the same design features that make a particular diaper of value to the purchasing agent of a hospital or other institution probably will be disliked by the ABDL community. This is why a few brands are designed, decorated and marketed for the ABDL community. Given the relative small size of this community such diapers will cost more because of a lack of scale reducing manufacturing and marketing cost.

Over the years I have met face to face with several designers of diapers. It well could be they dismiss my opinions. I have tried my best to study the available literature and remember the history of factory made diapers. Usually I am talking to these R&D people as an incontinent woman, since nearly always their corporate executives refuse to think their diapers are used by ABDL. A few years ago it was so refreshing when a famous adult diaper designer asked me how I would feel if he added some decoration to the tape he needed as the landing zone. My concern was how would he know the number to make? Could he stop a diaper machine to change the tape and still make money?

Okay, my suggestion to those chafed by modern diapers is to either go to the efort to find more classic styles without elastic and leg gathers, or make use of barrier creams and/or products such as Desitin. Perhaps if you were to wear diapers with leg gathers 24/7 your skin would become more resistant, but equally possible your skin would become overly-sensitized.

Think carefully what you really want from your diapers, okay?

STRONGLY dislike the "breathable" backing. They chaffe my sensitive legs.

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Allanda are still doing the plastic backed. I ordered from them about 2-3 weeks ago.
Can I ask what Allanda's like for discreteness? Also do they use their own delivery vans or use a standard courier?

A

ani

Okay, my suggestion to those chafed by modern diapers is to either go to the efort to find more classic styles without elastic and leg gathers, or make use of barrier creams and/or products such as Desitin. Perhaps if you were to wear diapers with leg gathers 24/7 your skin would become more resistant, but equally possible your skin would become overly-sensitized.

Think carefully what you really want from your diapers, okay?
The elastic and leg gathers have no negative consequences for me. I wear Abena x-plus'. The breathable material is substantially more abrasive than the plastic backing which is smooth. That's what causes the chaffing.

You're correct that if I wore 24/7 that my skin would be less susceptible to chaffing. Fortunately, in my opinion, I wear for fun and therefore do not need to wear 24/7. Thank you for the background on the evolution of diapers. It's interesting, of course for those of us who love diapers:)

LittleAdam

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Carlos Richer is a leading consultant to the baby disposable diaper industry. He started the business of manufacturing disposables in Latin America. Google him because his website will tell you more about the construction of disposable than any of us might want to know.

Gary Hirsch is the designer of many of the generic adult disposables made world wide. Google his website to learn technical details of adult diapers.

The whole "cloth-like" thing started because mothers disliked the feel of poly-plastic outer layer against their arms when they were carrying their baby. As Richer points out, the baby cannot tell the difference. This cloth-like outer layer is a combination of a really thin poly-plastic film with a spun plastic non-woven film. In another answer a member compared that to fabric softener dryer sheet and that is correct. There is no woven cotton involved.

A classic poly-plastic outer layer has the advantage that it slides on sheets without clinging. Clinging pulls gaps which leak. A downside to conventional poly-plastic is that it is very difficult to remove a sticky tape without ruining the diaper. A work-around is a stiffer landing zone.

In theory all the cloth-like outer layer is half of a Velcro fastening system, so that sort of tab can be repositioned. Often the cloth-like layer can be made slightly stretchy and more flexible than poly-plastic. We all know some poly-plastic diapers are very flexible. Some cloth-like work better than others. We also know that cloth-like works much better on baby diapers because actual babies pee much less per area of diaper than do adults and babies get their diaper changed more frequently. Nearly always a poly-plastic diaper can be more completely soaked without leaks than could cloth-like.

In 1990 when I joined DPF at age 26 only a tiny percentage of ABDL members were younger than me. There was hardly any interest in disposable adult diapers. All the messages were about actual cloth, so I fit right in. Over the years people who never wore cloth as a kid are now the majority of most ABDL groups. To these nice people poly-plastic is the favorite outer layer. As younger and younger people join the ABDL community probably in another 10 years cloth-like outer layer will be considered the standard.

Diapers are diapers. The thing is we have to use a particular diaper to suit its construction. Because a cotton diaper soaks all over almost always they deal better with large floods of pee. Modern disposables have a feel-dry layer to protect the skin that does not allow as rapid absorption, but mixed with the fluff is gel that really handles a large volume of pee so long as it is dribbled.

We need to send comments to diaper manufacturers telling them the features we like. If enough people buy poly-plastic diapers they will continue in production as long as the machines making them can be operated and the raw material is available.
This is truly a great post. I never really thought about it this way, but it makes perfect sense. I have been in disposable diapers my entire life and barely use cloth, nor do I have any desire to wear them. I also have to say that all the complaining about the non-plastic backed diapers does seem to be dwindling, and I bet it will continue to do so over the years.

DHLA40

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Yes, excellent point of view, angela. I also bemoan the change to cloth-like outer covering, like many other dee el's, but it's because of what my perception of what a proper diaper is supposed to be, which is a view that differs from the generation before mine (I was born in'75). I didn't think I'd like Tena briefs with the cloth cover after I ordered some, mistakenly assuming they'd be plastic backed. After a while, I've really come to like them and haven't had as much regard for what type of material the outer cover's made of, but out of habit, and a deep seated personal preference, I still go for plastic backed when possible.

Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent
Can I ask what Allanda's like for discreteness? Also do they use their own delivery vans or use a standard courier?
Hi dangermouse, Allanda are pretty discreet, depending on how many you buy, they either pack them in grey plastic, which might be seen through slightly, or just put them in a box. They use a standard courier, which is City Link, I think, but could be mistaken.

diamdiamsen

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent, , Other, Private
No pictures of the new Tena

I have searched the internet for pictures of the new tena, but no one seems to have it. If anyone have pictures of the new tena, please post a link...

BluTack

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Hi dangermouse, Allanda are pretty discreet, depending on how many you buy, they either pack them in grey plastic, which might be seen through slightly, or just put them in a box. They use a standard courier, which is City Link, I think, but could be mistaken.
What he said.

dangermouse

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I have searched the internet for pictures of the new tena, but no one seems to have it. If anyone have pictures of the new tena, please post a link...
Haven't seen any pictures either, other than small pictures of the packaging that looks similar to the current packages.

The description is here:
"Unbeatable all-in-one protection with maximum absorption and security against leakage. Also suitable for faecal incontinence. The Superfit™ fixing tape and generous tape landing zone ensure a secure, comfortable fit around the body and can be continually readjusted without tearing the product. TENA Slip also benefits from FeelDry™ technology for outstanding dryness and a dual core to rapidly absorb urine and retain it away from the body. The 100% breathable Air-Dry Layer™ backsheet lets the air circulate preventing dampness on the skin and improving user comfort.

Available in 3 levels of absorbency and 4 sizes."

The key bit in bold.

Anyway, got my order from Allanda. Came by DHL which is a bit more of a pain as have to drive a long way to collect from them. Thankfully they don't leave it with a neighbour, which is a good thing as it was all in a big bag and the bag had ripped, showing off one of the packs! It also had a box inside the bag with the others. Seems they couldn't find a box big enough for the 4 packs I ordered :D.

Anyway, quick delivery, and they do appear to be the standard plastic backed ones. That'll keep me going anyway:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.