Tax write off for diapers as medical expense

No, look again. While the heading says DIAPER SERVICE the text says "diapers or diaper service."

I persented up the TAX CODE (26 USC 213, specifically (d)). The TAX CODE doesn't have any "list" of what fits in the definition. The word "diaper" doesn't appear anywhere in the code.
You keep insisting there is a list. That is untrue. The code, the two IRS pubs (byt the way it's 949, I don't know where 523 came from in my previous post), and the interpretation I gave you convey the law. Any list you have was not generated by the IRS. Many FSA and HSA adminsitrators have created there own lists based on the above.

You are the one who is wrong here. I have given the reference to the ACTUAL LAW and IRS guidance. You have nothing but your own groundless assertions.

willnotwill said:
Many FSA and HSA adminsitrators have created there own lists based on the above

I do believe I already said this, and also agree. The irs doesn't require it, but management companies may.

Ps. It's diapers for babies, and diaper services which are not approved. Adult diapers are.

Please do not claim adult diapers on your taxes unless you're legitimately incontinent.

Violations of tax code and the subsequent audits aren't a good time to say the least.

Last edited:
Reactions: perlFerret and Eclectic
I was able to write off my diapers, my hospitalization, and other medical expenses last year, only because I took an early withdrawl from my 401k to pay for everything. It actually worked out nicely as I didn't have to pay the taxes on it because of it.

DanielW said:
but sad for your 401k though
Yes, but it was better to take the small loss on the 401k than try to budget for about $6k to be paid off in a year and the 10% interest the hospital wanted to add to it on their payment plan. I actually talked it out with my financial guru, and it was a better option than including it in my refinancing of my car and mortgage at the time.

I have an HSA (Health Saving Account) and state and federal lists incontinence supplies are allowed to be purchased with the pre-tax dollars. Even when I buy size 6 diapers and cut the back out of them for dual soakers, they are covered under the HSA program, because they are also diapers.

Back