Switched to linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
Welll, I finally switched to ubuntu, for good, everything I Need works under wine, office 2010, photoshop, netbeans and code::blocks both run on linux, so does pycharm, hmm this is nice i must add.

Does anyone have the slightest clue on how to create a raid using Luks? I don't really need it for gaming, I'll buy a console for that eventually.

Only thing that was holding me back was the applications I needed, but it turns out that play on linux actuallly works quite well :p

Last edited:
I used to have Office 2003 running under WINE. It worked initially, but got really flaky. I haven't had much success with WINE other than for really simple programs. :-/ PlayOnLinux is amazing, though! Not perfect, but very impressive.

I don't use RAID/LUKS...or Ubuntu, so I'm afraid I can't give precise instructions. But the Arch Wiki always gives a good oversight of what components are needed to get everything working at the basic level (so you can google Ubuntu-specific stuff, step-by-step). It looks like LUKS requires installation of the dm-crypt package:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Device_encryption

And there's more info on LUKS at the Cryptsetup homepage:
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup

Dunno if that helps, but good luck!

tiny said:
I used to have Office 2003 running under WINE. It worked initially, but got really flaky. I haven't had much success with WINE other than for really simple programs. :-/ PlayOnLinux is amazing, though! Not perfect, but very impressive.

I don't use RAID/LUKS...or Ubuntu, so I'm afraid I can't give precise instructions. But the Arch Wiki always gives a good oversight of what components are needed to get everything working at the basic level (so you can google Ubuntu-specific stuff, step-by-step). It looks like LUKS requires installation of the dm-crypt package:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Device_encryption

And there's more info on LUKS at the Cryptsetup homepage:
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup

Dunno if that helps, but good luck!

Ah, I don't use Arch, but rule of thumb most things are similar, for some reason all my most needed programs work fine under wine, but I've got a windows 10 vm setup just in case.

There are just some minor annoyances I have to fix, unity has too many issues on my hardware, so I went with ubuntu-mate, works fine for my hardware :p it reminds me of ubuntu 8.04, one of the first ubuntu distros I've ever used. I remember this thing called Saybayon Linux, I do have a legitimate VMWARE licence, (due due to me needing it for my qualifications moslty)

Even vmware seems to do the job anyway.

I decided to go with 2xLuks drives, with EX4 one for backups, and one for wine + virtual machines, using secure boot and had to sign the virtual box kernel modules myself, which is a bonus.

Last edited:
Cool. I haven't tried Unity or Mate. Once I discovered XFCE, I fell in love! It does everything I need and is really lightweight.

And I'd never heard of Saybayon -- it looks really cool, though. I'll have to give it a whirl!

I was using Arch Linux exclusively until a while back, but there's a video streaming app I use that requires XP. It used to work fine in Virtualbox, but I think a Flash update has screwed up the audio/video synchronisation. Grrr! I wish more hardware developers made Linux-compatible software. Otherwise GNU/Linux is beautiful -- you can tweak it and get it working just how you like -- and perform better than Windows. And the learning curve kinda teaches you a bit about how computers work, which is interesting.

Do you play with Android at all? I just installed a custom ROM on my (ancient) smartphone for the first time. It's amazing! It has the latest kernel and runs so much faster than before.

Have fun & take care :)

Let us know how you like it! I'm looking for a new distro myself, or maybe even venturing further into the BSD realm. I've been using Gentoo for some time, and love almost everything about it... except that after awhile portage tree syncs start to fail and I end up with circular dependencies and things which can't be simultaneously installed, etc. I can fix it manually for a bit, usually about 1 or 2 years, but eventually I have to just reinstall the system in order to update it.

I HAVE run OpenBSD on my laptops, and my only complaint so far is the relative lack of software support. I scarcely had to do any hardware configuration at all -- installation was a breeze. It's not a good choice for my desktop, though, as my video card doesn't support it.

Sapphyre said:
Let us know how you like it! I'm looking for a new distro myself, or maybe even venturing further into the BSD realm. I've been using Gentoo for some time, and love almost everything about it... except that after awhile portage tree syncs start to fail and I end up with circular dependencies and things which can't be simultaneously installed, etc. I can fix it manually for a bit, usually about 1 or 2 years, but eventually I have to just reinstall the system in order to update it.

I HAVE run OpenBSD on my laptops, and my only complaint so far is the relative lack of software support. I scarcely had to do any hardware configuration at all -- installation was a breeze. It's not a good choice for my desktop, though, as my video card doesn't support it.

Ah, I've used FreeBSD before, not sure if it's anything like OpenBSD, I know this is odd, but I actually like OSX for the fact that it's "UNIX" well more close to BSD from memory. I could get it to work, if I bought a display port adapater, might even dual boot ubuntu-mate + OSX (hackintosh)

I'll just wait and see how this turns out, :p

Shybug said:
Ah, I've used FreeBSD before, not sure if it's anything like OpenBSD, I know this is odd, but I actually like OSX for the fact that it's "UNIX" well more close to BSD from memory. I could get it to work, if I bought a display port adapater, might even dual boot ubuntu-mate + OSX (hackintosh)

I'll just wait and see how this turns out, :p

I'm not sure if they're similar yet either! I was considering FreeBSD for my desktop. I know OpenBSD forked from it a long time ago and has a different focus (security / code correctness). But I haven't actually tried FreeBSD...

I am familiar with OSX and like it in some ways. I think, for me, the breaking point was when I got a new iPod for Christmas and couldn't use it because it required a newer version of iTunes, which in turn required a newer version of OSX, which wasn't a free upgrade. I would have had to shell out money to use my gift. It worked just fine with gnupod. I suppose I didn't actually have to leave and go open-source, but it was a watershed moment for me.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Argh! Hope you didn't lose any data.

I always find there's a bit of a learning curve when trying new things and, to be honest, sometimes it's better to screw things up once, 'cos then you learn how to fix things and get a better understanding of how everything works. :)

tiny said:
Argh! Hope you didn't lose any data.

I always find there's a bit of a learning curve when trying new things and, to be honest, sometimes it's better to screw things up once, 'cos then you learn how to fix things and get a better understanding of how everything works. :)

Nah, was a blank RAID thankfully. i put some stuff on there, but nothing important.

[UPDATE]
Well it turns out I didn't lose data, some reason ubuntu doesn't update it, so I manually have to create it each time, no biggy.

[Ubuntu with all my programs on it]
attachment.php

This is amazing, I've installed xfce and switched to that, I like xfce better.

Last edited:
I'm really late to the party on this one, but your Micr$oft office problem can be solved with Libre Office.

skunk053 said:
I'm really late to the party on this one, but your Micr$oft office problem can be solved with Libre Office.

Unfortunately it's not fully compatible with MS Office, so none of my documents worked properly. (Most of them contain VBA code.)

I ended up installing MS Office on an XP virtual machine, so I can use it that way.

tiny said:
Unfortunately it's not fully compatible with MS Office, so none of my documents worked properly. (Most of them contain VBA code.)

I ended up installing MS Office on an XP virtual machine, so I can use it that way.

Even better, myself I have an XP VM for mso 2007. Great minds think alike.

Welcome to the family! "I am because you are."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I installed xubuntu alongside windows 10, I would have totally switched if not for office. I use it a lot for assignments and stuff and using something like virtual box felt like a pain,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back