Not open for further replies.

Wuggle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
For those of you with bowel IC, what do you do when you go swimming? I'm a scuba diver and can't get enough of the water, so I need to find a way to keep myself and the water sanitary, because giving up swimming is something I just can't do. Do they make adult swim diapers? Are they effective and are they hard to hide under a women's swimsuit? Would I do better with boys' swim shorts, or does it not make much difference? When I dive, I wear a wetsuit, so that makes things easier.

We dont have those things over here im afraid so i cant say anything about that but i would say its a good thing to use and yes they do make adult swim diapers just do a search on the net and you find tons of them . I would imagine they might be somewhat difficult to hide under swimsuits yes ,it could as they would cover more then the swim suit does but why not some bigger girls swim pants on top of sed swimsuit and the dieper? you know something more like cover the entire behind rather then the bikinis stile. That's what i would do

However what you also can do is that BEFORE you go in the water go the bathroom and try to get things out that way even if the bowel starts acting up there's nothing to come out that's how i do it when im of for longer trips etc.... and also what i would do if im about to go to the water

NO reason you should stop going in the water due to this problems just wear youre protection and you `l be fine (naturally same with diving )

Find this reg swimming diapers http://www.theraquatics.com/adult-swim-diaper.html

There are reusable adult swim diapers and Tranquility now makes a disposable one. I've had them both. The reusable swim diaper is pretty much a very tight fitting all in one with minimal absorbency. I've also tried just tight plastic pants. I've obtained samples of the tranquility swimmates (they'll send two to you if you contact them). I've not had a chance to use them as I've just finished reopening my pool after a long period of storage and haven't gotten in the water over my knees yet.

Human fecal matter in the water is a severe health hazard in both pools and in the open water. The swim diapers are hardly complete containment. They're designed to give you time once you've had an accident to get out of the water and get cleaned up before going on. They are not designed to allow you to keep swimming with a load in your pants. They are also ineffective against watery stools. As Missy points out, do what you can to get yourself emptied out before you enter the water.

northshore also has reuseable ones that is what i use cant think of the name of it right this second

willnotwill said:
Human fecal matter in the water is a severe health hazard in both pools and in the open water. The swim diapers are hardly complete containment. They're designed to give you time once you've had an accident to get out of the water and get cleaned up before going on. They are not designed to allow you to keep swimming with a load in your pants.

Eew that sounds disgusting! Yeah, definitely won't be swimming around like that!

Wuggle said:
Eew that sounds disgusting! Yeah, definitely won't be swimming around like that!

Didn't mean to imply you would. Just speaking in generalities. I have intermittant bowel issues myself, but my wife used to teach special ed in a school that had a pool and fecal matter issues were a big problem there (this was before there were a lot of swim diapers ont he market).

Wuggle said:
For those of you with bowel IC, what do you do when you go swimming? I'm a scuba diver and can't get enough of the water, so I need to find a way to keep myself and the water sanitary, because giving up swimming is something I just can't do. Do they make adult swim diapers? Are they effective and are they hard to hide under a women's swimsuit? Would I do better with boys' swim shorts, or does it not make much difference? When I dive, I wear a wetsuit, so that makes things easier.

As the others have stated there are several options that are available.

Regarding SCUBA diving, unless I'm diving in the tropics I dive using a dry suit and a premium disposable diaper. (I don't have to worry about my bowels but I'm certain that it would work nicely for that as well.)

-Ieyasu

I've never tried any of these myself, but have run across them while browsing:

Swimsuits - You wear a diaper under these:
https://www.maree-medical.com/index.php?item=&action=page&group_id=10000168&lang=en

PUL Diaper cover for containment:
http://acmedi.com/product_info.php/products_id/886/osCsid/735fosrd4pk77e48qncp3mg94n

Disposable adult swim diaper:
http://acmedi.com/product_info.php/cPath/145_85_102/products_id/1151

Reusable adult swim diaper (looks like the same product found by Starlight99 but from a different seller)
https://www.xpmedical.com/xp-dto-dto-swimdiaper-xp

Enjoy your diving!

I tried some some trunks similar the first shown (with no absorbancy). The problem is that it is not fully water proiged, water get in through the back (as it is not always fully dtraight) and fills up. Quite uncomfortable! I only have urinary IC and don't use any protection anymore. Does anybody has a positive experience in this case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If you order the SoSecure/Discovery Trekers Containment Brief. Be well advised the sizes run way smaller than the size chart. I couldn't even get the one that I ordered on. I ended up giving it away on the boards.

I've tried the ones that are supposed to let you wear a normal diaper. Don't bother with them, they do not work. The reason is because the small of your back has a concave shaped. As such, a tight waistband will never be able to get a good seal across your back. Water will get in, and your diaper will get soaked.

Disposable swim diapers have always let me down as well. They do not work for hold even a single drop of pee after you've been in the water.

The best solution I've found for in and out of the water is to use a pocket diaper, but when you get to the pool/beach remove the pad. They have a light terry lining used to hold the pad in place, so this lining can hold a small amount of pee.

Although, it does tend to fill up with just a little bit of water once you've been in too. You will need to break the leg seal as you get out of the water so it can drain some, but then won't leak for a little bit there after. Long enough till you can change or even just put the pad back in place. It's not a perfect solution, but does work well enough for me at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back