Swim diapers and swimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Hello everybody, I've been posting a few questions here and there and got answers on using the pool when incontinent. I'm doubly incontinent and have several bowel movements throughout the day and I have never gone swimming because of this, after some suggestions I got hold of two swim diapers swimmates and sosecure and wore the sosecure over the swimmates as MaurepasGnD suggested and it went great. The pool was reserved for special needs adults and children and they allowed swim diapers as long as you change once you've had an accident. The two diapers were kind of prominent under my swim suit but nobody here was to judge I guess, last few minutes while was swimming or learning to swim rather a big bm hit, but the diaper really did it's job , I got out and changed and decided to go since I've already had an accident and god knows how much I peed in there, I didn't feel discouraged by it but more guilt when I thought about it...... anyway maybe I'll try to go regularly to get some exercise which I've never got, my muscles are going to ache tonight :p
What are your takes on the matter of managing incontinence and using a pool?

Dude, to be honest....for a good workout...try the rower or the airdyne. Its far better on cardio and its still good on your joint like swimming

It's doable. If you'd like something a bit more discreet and yet extremely secure try Conni Togglz Swim Shorts. I have found these to be effective and unobtrusive by themselves. You can still opt to wear a disposable swim diaper underneath to make changes quicker/easier (which is what I recommend). The Conni Togglz will help keep disposables (Swimmates) really secure and will contain any leakage if it occurs. I also like to use the Conni Togglz as a normal diaper cover during the colder months. They really lend some good support to your diapers, makes them more effective, contains smell pretty good, keep you warm, and are really effective at containing any disastrous "blow outs", all while helping to maintain a trimmer profile under your clothing.

I grew up a swimmer and cannot get into a pool just "to enjoy it". I always end up doing laps which turns into a workout. I find these Swim Shorts to be form fitting enough to not get in the way or increase drag too much, yet flexible enough to keep up with the constant movement of kicking and flipping. They've worked well for me in the rare cases that I have bowel issues. On a side note: In case you were unaware, no swim diaper is designed to contain urine and I would not worry too much about urinating in the pool.

It sounds like you have exactly the right idea with the swimmates + sosecure. The disposable under layer makes cleanup easier and protects the reusable outer layer, then the outer layer gives you an extra layer of protection in case the inner fails. If you want to hide it a little better, there's a kind of swimwear called "drag shorts" that you might find useful. They're a mesh short intended to be worn over a swimsuit to provide extra drag for training competitive swimmers. They're designed to be kind of puffy, and would probably do a great job of covering up the profile of the swim diapers without looking too out of place, especially if you're swimming laps.

Hello, the swimmates plus seosecure was a suggestion by MaurepasGnD in one of my other posts. Also I wouldn't have been comfortable with only one diaper layer holding my bm from spreading in the water, anyway now I think I can stick with this if in the future even if I have unpredictable bm's keeping me worried that I'll leak. As for hiding it it's not too much of a big deal, during the day I wear m4's and if it's really cold out I can't be wearing skirts and with the plastic pants they bulk up quite a bit on my already big jeans, and going to college every day and getting frequent stares is nothing new, the pool at that time was for any handicaps and special needs people and they weren't interested with what I was wearing :p,

icklespace are there any reviews or anything on that? Ones I tried were really good at keeping in my bm despite the bulkyness of the diaper, my bm's are quite large in volume so I'm always concerned about containment first, thanks for the suggestion

The key is to get out of the water and change if you have a bm. No diaper is going to take care of things if you keep swimming after you've soiled yourself. Pee is not an issue (and swim diapers won't absorb much before they start to leak that).

Yeah I know, I try to get out of the water asap of coarse I know that diapers in a pool is not like diapers outside, I'm just worried for those few seconds the diaper might leak, but now that I have worn and seen I know that the ones I tried are good and have no problem with containment

Last edited:
I've heard sos containment briefs have a good reputation with people who have severe bowel incontinence.

I've always used Netti CombiAqua, which are tight rubber pants that go over your diaper and are held down by external mesh pants. They can seal off a (low-cut) disposable diaper from the outside and convert a normal diaper into a swim diaper. They work quite well in my opinion.

And they only work with a reasonably solid BM if you have "loose stools" you need to stay out of the pool.

willnotwill said:
And they only work with a reasonably solid BM if you have "loose stools" you need to stay out of the pool.

Yes, luckily my bm's are solid, and quite normal other than the incontinence part.

miapeters said:
icklespace are there any reviews or anything on that?
I haven't seen any so I don't know but they look pretty good

I'm not sure if they'd fit u but I have heard huggies little swimmers and pampers splashes are both good

Huggiessoaker said:
I'm not sure if they'd fit u but I have heard huggies little swimmers and pampers splashes are both good

I have pretty big bm's. Don't think a Huggies would could contain well. Anyway the combination I tried was perfect, been going for swimming every week for several weeks after this, they do a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back