Summer Olympics women's gymnastics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Well, it's about time. The IOC is finally opening an investigation into the correct ages of the female Chinese gymnasts. I personally think they should have started one when the first complaint came in. What does everybody else think?

Role
Private
I think out of common courtesy, China being the host nation and all, that they didn't start the investigation sooner. This is will undoubtedly cause upset amongst the Chinese population, especially if any medal are stripped and awards to others. But hey, if China feels they need to lie about their athlete's ages just to have a medal chance, then that's a pretty sad reality for them.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur
Yeah I agree with Lukie. I mean, if China wants to win THAT bad, they still need to follow the IOC rules. Even if they are the host country. I mean, come on. 16? They barely look 13! This is kind of ridiculous that they would go that far to win. I guess that means out of a population of 1 something billion people, they have to have half of the team underage. Sad.

dogboy

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I agree that China needs to follow the same rules that everyone else has to. But isn't it strange that a 13 yr. old has an edge over a 16 yr. old. How many sports are like that? Japan has won a number of World Series because they have had older kids, as well as pooling kids from many teams, rather than playing their best team as the U.S. does.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
I think it's that because the kids are younger, they are more agile, however they usually lack experience, so it doesn't always work.

ayanna

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Babyfur
I just wanna know when they (the IOC) changed the rules?

34 years ago in Montreal...the world watched as 13 year old Nadia Comenice took home the GOLD for Romania in gymnastics.

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
Eh, who knows. They probably got sick and tired of a bunch of 13 year old gold medalists. It really is unfair most times.

recovery

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
I think it's that because the kids are younger, they are more agile, however they usually lack experience, so it doesn't always work.
I thought about that too, But really, Even at 16 or 20. They are still young and proberbly got a bit more strength than the younger counterparts, so might do a few higher flips and the like.

Given chine being China, I am not surprised such a country tried to do such a thing. But I would of thought there would be a better older wiser gymnast to take the spot. But I am sure we had out opinions when China won the vote of being host in 2008.

I think china being the host has nothing to do with the fact that there are underage girls, I am sure they would of done the same else where. As the IOC base it of the countries passport, which china can easily forge for them.

Pramrider

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Other
especially if any medal are stripped and awards to others.
Personally, if I was an Olympic participant, didn't win any award, then had one handed to me due to a disqualification, I wouldn't want it. My feeling would be, if I didn't earn it by my own performance then I don't deserve it. I saw the look on the face of one of the men's track runners who made it to the bronze because TWO faster runners were disqualified for stepping on the lines. You could read his facial expression and tell he wasn't happy about getting the medal that way.

Didn't mean to stray off the main topic, but Lukie's comment made me think about disqualifications and the feelings other contestants might have about winning on technicalities.

~Pramrider

Footed P.J.

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
Pram, good thinking, in my opinion. Although the other side of that is he was third best out of those known to be playing by the rules, and that is an accomplishment. Being good, but being careful not to breach the rules. A medal is a medal. It's just too bad in those cases I don't think the ceremony can be redone.

SteveC1981

Contributor
Role
, Other, Private
Actually, that would be 32 (!!!) years ago, but if I remember right, the age restrictions on gymnasts are a new thing. In a way, it is surprising that the 2008 Olympics have not turned out to be the disaster that the 1976 Olympics were.

Anyways, regardless of age, even if they are 16 or older, they are not "normal" compared to most of us. :rolleyes:

I just wanna know when they (the IOC) changed the rules?

34 years ago in Montreal...the world watched as 13 year old Nadia Comenice took home the GOLD for Romania in gymnastics.

WildThing121675

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I was at my bar a week ago watching the Gymnastics events on a plasma TV with a Lite, and I will say this from my own thoughts. I thought some of them HAD to be 12, or 14 years of age.

I was talking to a regular I hang with and he agreed with me on that. We both thought the Chinese were trying to cheat. It would not surprise me.

I thought the girls were young when I saw them. It would NOT surprise me the Chinese cheated. It would not surprise me at ALL.
WildThing121675

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
According to this article, age falsification has been a problem since the 80's after the minimum age was changed from 14 to 15 in order to protect young athletes from serious injury. The minimum age was upped from 15 to 16 in 1997. "Younger gymnasts are considered to have an advantage because they are more flexible and are likely to have an easier time doing the tough skills that are required."

TheFoxxehAssassin

Est. Contributor
Role
This is a load of BS. Everyone knows that the gymnasts are underage, and the fact that China is lying about it makes it that much harder to find. But when they do get proof China is gonna get like 10 medals taken away from them, and given to the people who competed fairly.

Kip

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover
But when they do get proof China is gonna get like 10 medals taken away from them, and given to the people who competed fairly.
Technically only four would be taken away. According to that article I posted, they won the gold in the team all-around, gold on the uneven bars, and one girl won bronze medals in the uneven bars and the individual all-around.

Status
Not open for further replies.