• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Suggestions on a cheap, easily hidden nursery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragsnick

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer, Private
My GF is moving near me for college, she's getting her own apartment and she has a room that's going to be used as a study/office/workspace. And we want to make a cheap nursery. You know a makeshift crib,playpen etc. We don't want prints or anything just objects to make it feel babyish. Maybe a high chair, and what not. The trick is how to make those types of things?

The playpen is pretty easy. What I'm thinking of doing is buying a couple of those fences or whatever and putting it up against the wall and putting a big quilt on it. My GF really wants a high chair for some reason. XD She would like restrains on it if possible... it doesn't neceserally have to be "high" Just resemble it with the tray and what not. Keep in mind where poor college students so cheapest is best. And yeah any suggestions at all would be great.

E

Elli

I've never made a highchair, but a few thoughts:

An upright chair with arms, with a board laying across as a tray? It's a basic idea, but could be made as complex or a simple as you have the time and resources for.

You'd have to find a way to attach the 'tray' to allow it to lift to allow entry. A hinge might work, if the chair has wooden arms. So long as the tray turns out even, not tilted. You could cover the 'tray' in something water-proof perhaps.

You can get highchair toys with sucker bases, or you could use strong glue to add something, perhaps?

As for restraints...Hmm...Something that has a harness made for adult size but also can be attached to a chair? I once saw a harness for soccer training, which was attached to a sail. The idea was to create wind-resistence for training to run strongly. Other than rock climbing (which would look a bit extreme!) I can't think of an adult size harness. If it's possible to remove the snap-buckle from something else though, I guess you could make one somehow?

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Pretty much all you have to do is get plans for the real things and just scale them to size. I would also skip on making the playpen and just build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.

jter42

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Other
build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.
Damn that just gave me a fricking awsome idea! To bad I cant follow through with it :(.

Atleast until like 5 years :(.

dragsnick

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, , Carer, Private
Pretty much all you have to do is get plans for the real things and just scale them to size. I would also skip on making the playpen and just build a crib that you can take apart/convert to a normal bed by removing a few screws and storing the sides in a closest.
Thing is I much rather have a playpen. It has more Room ya know? But How would I go about making the crib anyways? That would be insane... and I"m not good with tools

Slycamer

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I've never made a highchair, but a few thoughts:

An upright chair with arms, with a board laying across as a tray? It's a basic idea, but could be made as complex or a simple as you have the time and resources for.

You'd have to find a way to attach the 'tray' to allow it to lift to allow entry. A hinge might work, if the chair has wooden arms. So long as the tray turns out even, not tilted. You could cover the 'tray' in something water-proof perhaps.

You can get highchair toys with sucker bases, or you could use strong glue to add something, perhaps?

As for restraints...Hmm...Something that has a harness made for adult size but also can be attached to a chair? I once saw a harness for soccer training, which was attached to a sail. The idea was to create wind-resistence for training to run strongly. Other than rock climbing (which would look a bit extreme!) I can't think of an adult size harness. If it's possible to remove the snap-buckle from something else though, I guess you could make one somehow?
umm i would get like a safty harness
Thing is I much rather have a playpen. It has more Room ya know? But How would I go about making the crib anyways? That would be insane... and I"m not good with tools
1 i would when i make a tent inside for my sisters i put chairs together and it feels like it sort of but i don't know maybe a dog pen
2as it said before

Fire2box

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Every single playpen I ever seen adult sized or not is much smaller then a properly made crib. Anyways you under estimate yourself, if you build a high chair you can surely build a crib.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Highchair?

For a high chair, try purchasing a director's chair. The ones with the foot rest are fairly tall. The arms can have a board laid over them and bolt latches from a hardware store can secure the board to the chair. For proper restraints, find an inexpensive after-market seatbelt. These are available in 2 point (lap belt), 4 point (lap and both shoulders), 5 point (lap, shoulders, and crotch strap), and 6 point (2 crotch straps). If these are too expensive, an alternative is nylon web belt material and plastic buckles which are both sold at fabric stores. For installation, metal grommets may be installed to run a bolt through. These and the installation tool are also sold at fabric stores.

mizzycub

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I suppose the two most important qualities for you is that is has to be removable or concealable and that it has to feel babyish when being used. Not that it has to be an accurate replica, just 'feel' right. I suppose to get that you have to look at what makes it feel like that and find the cheapest way of doing it. The cheapest way will almost always be temporary, so that gives you removable too. You may disagree, but this is what I think would make a good crib, playpen and highchair, and how I would go about making it.

Crib
  • Obstructed view when lying in it - it doesnt matter if it is bars or not, just that you can't see clearly because of the sides and they feel reasonably sturdy if you were to lay against them.
  • It has to be comfortable, but not too soft. This can probably be made by using babyish bedclothes and not using a very soft mattress

Playpen
  • Similar to a crib - the view is obstructed from the point of view of someone in it. Material isn't important as long as it isn't dangerous - just has to be sturdy and block view
  • There area within, like a crib, has to be comfortable. This can probably be done by puting a duvet or duvets in it.

Highchair
  • You have to higher of the ground than usual. For this the director chair suggestion from Jeremaih sounds good. The most important bit is finding the chair to build it off. After that the other bits should be easy
  • Restraints - for a high chair I would think 5 point or 3 point. You might be able to bye some, or if you can some nylon straps, make them yourself. It's just a matter of getting the nylon and the clips and being able to sew it together nto one thing.
  • Perhaps most important is the tray, but this is also quite easy. You just need a tray which you can secure to the chair. Good ones for this would be the trays with edges you can use to eat infront of the TV. Then you just need some string or straps to tie it in place. Use a knot that you can easily untie - then it is easy to take the tray away when you don't need it.

As for the material to use on a crib or playpen - not sure. You could use sanded wood, though that might require hinges and stuff to put together, which could be difficult if you aren't good with tools. Though if you wanted all you would need would be a drill and some self taping screws. Removing the sides is a bit clumsy to unscrew, so I would leave an open side, or if you were feeling confident, hinge a side and use some ties or something to keep it shut.

An old thing I've heard. "You can have quick, cheap or well made. Pick any two." I think you want quick and cheap, but if when you've done it it doesn't live up to expectations don't be worried - it will be hard to get something that is quick, cheap and realistic. Then again, you have enough imagination to see yourself as a baby - surely you have enough to ignore some slightly unrealistic props, especially if you are regressed at the time.

NEJay

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I know someone that is selling a brand new custom made oak highchair for $350... It's a marvel of craftsmanship (I think it even has ash wood inlays), and a steal at that price.

That said, it's definitely "life size", and if you're in PR, I have no clue how you'd get it shipped. For size reference, only the bottom half you can see strapped to this truck:

Sorry... Only pic I have of it.

S

Secret

You could always buy a "Day Bed" and just turn it around so the the side with no railing is against the wall effectively creating a 3 sided crib with the wall as the last fourth side.

A bed like this would work really well, but so far I have only seen them in girls rooms and guests rooms, I have never seen a guys room with a bed like this which now that I think about it puzzles me?

And if you are any good at metal working or wood working you could EASILY convert a day bed like this

into a "toddler" bed, which is pretty much a cut down version of your standard crib with shorter railings.

Also maybe get a day bed like this and cut the railings so that they are all eqaul lengths,

And you would end up with something pretty close to this hopefully.

Pretty much all you need for my ideas are.

> Ingenuity
> Creativnes
> Power tool skills
> Elbow grease

Also I found this on FA, aparently some people teamed up and made an adult crib.
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2161067/
and someone on FA makes AB/Babyfur furniture to!
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2190506/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2282152/
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/thrashbear/

Hell I could build these, once I get my own place and some privacy! Wood working is one of my few good talents!

Diapered Rabbit

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
Ideas for Fairly Simple Adult Crib For Two

:bunny: I made a Queen Bed frame based "Crib" when I lived by myself. It was fairly inexpensive (compared to the $750+ costs I've seen on custom AB [Cribs] furniture on line). This bed could be made from 2 used (recycled/repurposed) baby cribs and painted and fit within the "Shabby Chic" school of interior decorating. So might be able to serve as your GF's main bed.

DIY Directions; Modified Queen Sized Crib/Bed.

Items Needed:

Queen box spring and mattress.

Used Hollywood bed frame with attaching brackets on both ends. (This is important as most will only have brackets to attach a headboard)

2 used baby cribs, can be identical (but because you will be building a separate head board and foot board, you may enjoy the variety of two vastly different styles). My only consideration was to have both the head board and foot board the same height to simulate the look of a baby crib and to accommodate a canopy, if desired.

*Because of Federal Safety Laws some cribs cannot be sold (even by a private party) to be used as cribs for infants. You could probably pick these up for free by running a wanted ad on craigslist, explaining it would be recycled to use in other woodworking projects.

Queen size width backing/attaching boards to secure the two ends of each crib together side by side (across the top and bottom) to build the head board or foot board.

4 Queen size width backing/attaching boards to secure the two ends of each crib together side by side (across the top and bottom) to build the rail sides.

L- shaped brackets to permanently (can be removed with screw driver or drill screw gun to attach one side of the side rails.

hinges or and latches to open the side rails for entry/exit of bed.

caster wheel to ease in support of movable side rail (opens like a door from side rather than moving/sliding up and down like a baby crib railing).

Paint (I always prefer oil based on furniture) in preferred white or babyish pastel color.

Decals with desired babyish themes, for visible ends of head and foot board.

2 to 3 identical nursery crib sets for side bumpers (around inside perimeter of "crib") matching pillows blankets used as throws with a neutral colored comforter over the bed.

I like Classic Winnie-the-Pooh (The Pre-Disney designs from the original Winnie- the-Pooh Books by AA Milne), for example). You can find full and queen size sheet sets, Bed ruffle or skirt, pillow cases and shams and comforters that match. If you want to go with a canopy over the top you can use flat sheets in the same design or pattern to have the entire "crib" coordinated. Then you find Classic Winnie-the-Pooh Crib sets that will all match the adult sized bedding - BEAUTIFUL!!!. You can also find commercially made decals or stamps/stencils to decorate the furniture with.

Now you can find and attach a rotating mobile with a wind up music box motor, for the headboard. How 'bout modifying making an ADISC Mobile with Avatars of your friends from ADISC?
:bunny:

P.S. More Details Later

skinnypuppy

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
There is some real ingenuity here! The wooden-slats daybed looks like a very good possibility, all it needs is the fourth side (which could be latticework sold at Home Depot). Hooks to keep it in place, or Velcro ties, would be simple to put on and take off.

Starchild

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
I had this idea for making the walls decorated like a nursery, you could get some thin panels cut them to fit the walls, paint one side in adult wallpaper or paint, do he other side like a nursey, then add magebntic strips to the wall so you could just turn them round when you want it to be a nursey, and if you want to hid it just flip em round again! it does sound rather cumbersome i know but its an idea!

zebearz

Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Well had this great idea while wandering around my local hardware store. I used 4 sections of the prefab deck railings to create a makeshift crib, it doesn't quite fit my queen sided bed, but its close enough. I made it so that the rails can be easily removed from my bed frame and then I can use them to make a playpen. The whole thing cost me about $150. I know its kind of cheesy, but once I'm finished painting it I think it will look real nice. I'll have to take some pictures once its finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.