• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Suggestion: Sticky Diaper Brand Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Hi... me again.

I've noticed a really large number of threads in Diaper Talk that seem to be discussing the same things over and over and over and over and over again.

People asking questions or wanting comparisons or bragging/discussing how they just purchased some of "Brand X".

There are only so many diaper brands out there... so things get repetitative really fast.

Can we get a sticky thread for each of the major brands? Depends, Attends, Tranquility, Bambino, Abena/Abri-form, Secure, Tena, etc?

That way if someone has a question or something to say/discuss in relation to one of those brands they can simply post in that sticky instead of creating another topic to ask the same question that was asked by someone else last week? Or making another thread "OMG I just Got Bambinos and they're teh awesomeness!" yadda yadda yadda.

I hate to make the comparison to another board... but DailyDiapers has this in their diaper forum and it makes a lot of sense. If I have something to say about a brand I know right where to go.

A

aj1983

indeed, maybe make a sub-forum in the Diaper Talk forum that is just for talking abount the different diaper brands :D

Talula

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
indeed, maybe make a sub-forum in the Diaper Talk forum that is just for talking abount the different diaper brands :D
Nah, a sticky is better. A lot of people dont look at the sub forums - hell i didnt even know we had them till like 2 months in...

angelabauer

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Incontinent
Since ADISC is all about TB/AB/DL/IC support community, it makes logical good sense to have a special section to discuss the details of all diaper styles and brands. After all, diapers are part of our community.

There are sites with a formal review feature. Maybe that is going a bit far. Certainly I support collecting topics about diaper brands in one place.

I trust the judgment of the admin staff to decide how to do this.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
The wiki.
All current information should be added there, and if any threads are made repeating stuff, they should just be redirected to the wiki.

A repeat of threads either means:
-Wiki articles are not good enough.
or
-Wiki awareness is low.

Plus having loads of stickies is annoying.

Kovy

is back, baby!
Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Little, Carer
Yes, the act of having too many stickies is not a good thing... it decreases their value.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
The wiki.
All current information should be added there, and if any threads are made repeating stuff, they should just be redirected to the wiki.

A repeat of threads either means:
-Wiki articles are not good enough.
or
-Wiki awareness is low.

Plus having loads of stickies is annoying.
I'm sorry. Yes, we do have a wiki... but if I go into every new thread about a diaper and tell the OP "go check the wiki" I'm going to be called an asshole.

The point of the stickies is to prevent new threads from being posted and filling the board with low-quality posts. ("OMG I just got Bambinos, they're so cool!" is a low-quality post.)

I invite anyone who hasn't to go check out the DailyDiapers board and see their sticky threads on diaper brands. If I want to post about my latest purchasing experience or wearing experience with a particular brand or if I have a question there is a readily available place where I can put my 2 cents worth without creating a new thread about it.

Some things are worth posting a new topic about... but most of what I see in the Diaper Talk section is the same thing being regurgitated over and over and over again.

It's a circular discussion.

"Hey! Have you heard about the new Brand X diapers?"
"Yeah, I just got some, they're great!"
"How does Brand X compare to Brand Y?"
"Yeah, I just got some of Brand X, they're great!"
"I like Brand Y better."
2-5 DAYS LATER
Here we go again...

Case in point: http://www.adisc.org/forum/diaper-talk/11634-tranquility-atn.html

Last edited:

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
I'm sorry. Yes, we do have a wiki... but if I go into every new thread about a diaper and tell the OP "go check the wiki" I'm going to be called an asshole.

The point of the stickies is to prevent new threads from being posted and filling the board with low-quality posts. ("OMG I just got Bambinos, they're so cool!" is a low-quality post.)

I invite anyone who hasn't to go check out the DailyDiapers board and see their sticky threads on diaper brands. If I want to post about my latest purchasing experience or wearing experience with a particular brand or if I have a question there is a readily available place where I can put my 2 cents worth without creating a new thread about it.

Some things are worth posting a new topic about... but most of what I see in the Diaper Talk section is the same thing being regurgitated over and over and over again.

"I like Brand Y better."
2-5 DAYS LATER
Here we go again...

Case in point: http://www.adisc.org/forum/diaper-talk/11634-tranquility-atn.html
You'll only be called an asshole if you do it wrongly:

"Yo newb! Check out the wiki first, you blooming idiot!" *Throws chair at newbie*

Vs.

"Hey there. You posted a thread, and that's super! But you can always find accurate answers in ADISC's awesome wiki!"

Anything unanswered in the wiki is fair game for a thread. Then what comes of that thread should go into the wiki.
Then the wiki becomes super amazing, and new threads won't be made because newbies will be so overwhelmed with delight because of how juicy with information the wiki is.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Anything unanswered in the wiki is fair game for a thread. Then what comes of that thread should go into the wiki.
Then the wiki becomes super amazing, and new threads won't be made because newbies will be so overwhelmed with delight because of how juicy with information the wiki is.
If people want to read facts about things they'll go to a wiki. If they want to discuss things and share their opinions and experiences they'll go to a thread. It's like comparing a book to a telephone. You can't hold a two way conversation with the wiki... and amazingly enough people do come here to interact with others of a similar persuasion... even if that interaction consists of repeating the same thing some other guy said last week/month.

Last edited:

Jaiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
This thread title reads 'Suggestion: Sticky Diaper' when you're looking at it from the main board. I really wasn't sure what to think...

I don't really have any strong feelings on the matter - it's a reasonable suggestion but, on the other hand, too many stickies can clog things up a bit - I just wanted to point out the above.

Role
Private

"I like Brand Y better."
2-5 DAYS LATER
Here we go again...

I wouldn't call you an asshole.

Incidentally, did your thread on Abenas ever get put into the wiki as I'd suggested?

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
You'll only be called an asshole if you do it wrongly:

"Yo newb! Check out the wiki first, you blooming idiot!" *Throws chair at newbie*

Vs.

"Hey there. You posted a thread, and that's super! But you can always find accurate answers in ADISC's awesome wiki!"

Definitely no true...A long time ago, I would tell people to check the Wiki, and I know for a fact that someone complained about me always telling people to check the Wiki, even so that I think I got a neg rep for it.

A

annierighthurr

I actually agree with this idea. Some people may think that it "clutters" the forums but I think that having all the posts about particular brands within one thread is helpful not only to those who don't want to view the same thread a million times and to those who are looking for information.
I totally support the idea, for what it's worth.

Jeremiah

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I've noticed a really large number of threads in Diaper Talk that seem to be discussing the same things over and over and over and over and over again.

Can we get a sticky thread for each of the major brands? Depends, Attends, Tranquility, Bambino, Abena/Abri-form, Secure, Tena, etc?
I like your idea, but too many stickies will also become annoying. Would it work better if we make a sticky thread pointing to the Attends, Depends, etc threads so that we may reduce the quantity of duplicate threads?

LuvsGurl

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Other
I kind of like this idea, I would be like spring cleaning. A place for everything and everything in it's place. We talk about the clutter of these stickies, but one sticky for each main brand, and then purhaps an other catagorie would not be so bad. Think of it this way, 8-10 stickies, vs 50 that can be found in the first few pages alone.
Call me a sucker for order, I just think it would reduse repatition, allow more communication, and keep things easy to find.

A

annierighthurr

I kind of like this idea, I would be like spring cleaning. A place for everything and everything in it's place. We talk about the clutter of these stickies, but one sticky for each main brand, and then purhaps an other catagorie would not be so bad. Think of it this way, 8-10 stickies, vs 50 that can be found in the first few pages alone.
Call me a sucker for order, I just think it would reduse repatition, allow more communication, and keep things easy to find.
agreed totally.

Jewbacca

Est. Contributor
Role
Other
This problem cannot actually get fixed, most people start a thread about getting such and such brand because they're excited about it and feel a need to let everyone know about their excitement, and although the stickies would remove some of the wastes of space, there'd still be people who want the extra attention their own individual thread gives them.

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
This problem cannot actually get fixed...
Such a negative nancy! No constructive criticism, no offering of a viable alternative, just an "it will never work". Honestly I expected more from you Captain Toad.

Again I point to the DailyDiapers board as an example of how stickies like this can be effective.

Admittedly, it will not stop every single thread... some people just are attention hounds or want to get their threadcount up. But I submit that even if it only stops 25% of them it would be worth it.

Additionally, having a single large thread on every brand will serve as a repository of opinions and comments.

Say I'm new and I want to buy some Bambinos... I could make my own thread and ask question after question, or I could click this thread labelled "Bambino Diapers" and poof! page after page of facts and reviews and pictures and comments from a hundred different people who have tried them are arrayed at my fingertips.

The thread is better than any Wiki because it is filled with opinions. If I am going to buy a car I don't want to go to the manufacturer's website and read all the facts... I want to go to a place where I can see the opinions and experiences of others who have bought the same car.

Role
Private
If I am going to buy a car I don't want to go to the manufacturer's website and read all the facts... I want to go to a place where I can see the opinions and experiences of others who have bought the same car.
I want both, actually.

Holding capacity, push-out, AND user reviews. That's what I want to see. :smile1:

D

daria7483

I agree with Darkfinn...I'd love to see more threads with stickies to prevent so many duplicates. Although it would also help if threads didn't lock after a month so that people could post in the old thread, rather than start a new one. Perhaps threads should only automatically be locked if they have a certain number of posts? I don't know. I think it's refreshing once in awhile to start a new thread on "what do you think about the president?" for example, rather than have one very long thread. But it annoys me to see repetitive threads that only have a few posts each.

I guess I am one of the few members who would actually like to see fewer posts, not more. I don't have time to keep up and it makes me feel guilty for not posting more, and then the site becomes a burden.

Status
Not open for further replies.