• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Suggestion on Introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
I've seen many a members when greeting newbies or those who are introducing themselves asking for more information from them.
That, I would think, would set quite a few new people off in that they are nervous coming here, let alone introducing themselves to ADISC. Granted there are some who will say a little as possible for fear of people finding out more than they wish to devulge, and we should respect that.

I do have a suggestion. It's sometimes used on other sites as a way of an introduction and the person really would have the right not to answer all the responses, but does give a clearer intro to most people that do attempt to do that.

Name (real or nick):
Sex:
Age/Birthday:
Reason For Wearing Diapers:
Other Interests/Hobbies:
Other Misc. Information:

This could be modified to better fit what we do here but it does offer a better introduction than what we request now, which is hardly anything, to be honest. I'm not saying that those who have already introduced themselves would have to go back and do that now, but gives a better option for newbies.

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
Name (real or nick):
Sex:
Age/Birthday:
Reason For Wearing Diapers:
Other Interests/Hobbies:
Other Misc. Information:
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Fixed :D. Seriously though, I would emphasise the other interests/hobbies bit. We have too many "a/s/l I like diapers" intros.[/font]

Role
Private
[font="Calibri,Arial"]Fixed :D. Seriously though, I would emphasise the other interests/hobbies bit. We have too many "a/s/l I like diapers" intros.[/font]
I agree. If I wanted their standard information, I'd look at their profile or post-bit.

I'd be more inclined to welcome them if they actually post something interesting about themselves.

Someone should probably detail the wiki article on it.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
I'd be more inclined to welcome them if they actually post something interesting about themselves.
This is pretty much my take on it. The more standardized introductory posts become, the more I'd wind up tuning out on them. I guess I'm a slacker with welcomes anyway, but the ones that get my attention and my reply are the people who have something interesting to say or just randomly happen to hit on some interest of mine and there's no form to facilitate that. I also think I'd be annoyed as a newbie to be presented with such a form, even if I was told I was free to ignore it.

Peachy

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Carer
An introduction means that the new person is telling the older members about him-/herself. It's an act on their part to share information with others, so I don't really see why we need a special form for that. You simply write down what you want to tell and omit things you don't want to tell or can't think of at the time.

I dislike the idea of "application forms" too, as they seem to exist in Anglo-American countries. It's the job seeker's problem to write up a statement about themselves that a potential employer would find interesting and informative. If you can't tell an employer about your good sides, then you probably don't deserve the job!

The same applies to introductions here. If you can't tell people interesting stuff about yourself, then you probably shouldn't expect to make a whole lot of friends here.

Peachy

dprdinky

Banned
Role
Adult Baby, Carer
Let me reiterate the intention of this thread. There are those who, after a newbie has just finished introducing themselves, request for additional information from them. It seems to me to be almost a slap in the face for the newbies to even attempt to introduce themselves only to be told, what they told about themselves is not adequate enough.

As mentioned above, this was only an example of a tool used other places online as way to get to know others, and that if anyone was interested in rewording it or otherwise, they could do so.

After posting this thread, Lukie pointed out a "wiki article" that gives some guidance as to what to include in an introduction. Had Lukie not shown the link, I would never had known something like that was offered as a suggestion to newbies.

Couldn't we at least offer this up at the beginning of the section on introductions for newbies or anyone else who've never introduced themselves so they may have some sort of an idea of what is being asked for in their introductions rather than to be humiliated by someone writing a response saying, "well tell us some more about yourself." when in reality maybe they really don't want to go that far in the first place!

Darkfinn

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Incontinent,
Personally I like not having a set requirement for introductions... it helps to seperate the trash from the useful members. I see an empty or one-liner intro, I know not to waste my time.

Trevor

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur
Let me reiterate the intention of this thread. There are those who, after a newbie has just finished introducing themselves, request for additional information from them. It seems to me to be almost a slap in the face for the newbies to even attempt to introduce themselves only to be told, what they told about themselves is not adequate enough.

As mentioned above, this was only an example of a tool used other places online as way to get to know others, and that if anyone was interested in rewording it or otherwise, they could do so.

After posting this thread, Lukie pointed out a "wiki article" that gives some guidance as to what to include in an introduction. Had Lukie not shown the link, I would never had known something like that was offered as a suggestion to newbies.

Couldn't we at least offer this up at the beginning of the section on introductions for newbies or anyone else who've never introduced themselves so they may have some sort of an idea of what is being asked for in their introductions rather than to be humiliated by someone writing a response saying, "well tell us some more about yourself." when in reality maybe they really don't want to go that far in the first place!
I see where you're coming from, but to me the back and forth between the person coming on and people (respectfully) asking questions is a good thing. It's not humiliating or a slap in the face, it's a conversation between the newbie and interested parties, which is where unexpected connections occur. What you propose seems likely to decrease the amount of conversation going on in that subforum, making it of less interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.