• Please go to your preferences page and make sure your "See Mature Topics" setting is set. Setting it to "Yes" means you see the Mature Topics forum (contains political and religious debates). Setting it to "No" means you do not see those threads.

Suggestion for new homepage

Does ADISC need a homepage?

• It doesn't work in my browser. (tell me your OS and browser below)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
It's been suggested a lot so I decided to come up with something. This is my shot at designing a portal homepage for ADISC that is basically just a couple of links.

http://dannybot.webhop.net/adischome/

My foci were design, simplicity, and accessibility. This homepage does not use Flash, and will scale back gracefully to the point where it even works in elinks. The only browser it doesn't seem to work in is IE, and I can probably put together a lightweight alternate version for that specific browser if necessary. It is valid XHTML and CSS and uses jQuery to perform the hover transition.

I'm aware that there are some issues with IE7 at the moment. Working with adaffme149 to try and get them fixed up.

Edit: IE6 issues fixed; still need feedback on IE7.

So, what do you all think?

--Danny :ninja:

Last edited:

Pojo

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
While it does look nice, I prefer what we have now. I don't want to have to do a page where I have to choose to go to the forum or wiki (I'd choose forum pretty much every time). I find the interface we have now does it's job. Also, there's more to the site than the wiki and the forum, although I realize they probably entice members more than other features.

E

Error404

While it does look nice, I prefer what we have now. I don't want to have to do a page where I have to choose to go to the forum or wiki (I'd choose forum pretty much every time). I find the interface we have now does it's job. Also, there's more to the site than the wiki and the forum, although I realize they probably entice members more than other features.
A cookie could skip that for you if Danny were to program such.

DannyTheNinja

Banned
Role
Private
A cookie could skip that for you if Danny were to program such.
I think I will do that. *waddles back off to jEdit*
Edit: Done. Make sure you clear your browser cache before you test.
Edit 2: Moo or RJ, you can bypass the cookie (e.g. with a "portal" or "home" link") and force the page to show by adding #home to the end of the URL, e.g.: http://dannybot.webhop.net/adischome/#home

--Danny :ninja:

Last edited:
Role
Private
I think it looks pretty good and would be a great part to the site.

Although I agree with Pojo in that, to me personally, it's a bit redundant since about 99.99% of the time I log onto ADISC for the forum, and I like the convenience of just having to type "adisc.org".

Mesmerale

Banned
Role
Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
I like the concept, but I don't like the way it looks.

I like the fact that our homepage now has a lot of information. Threads, forums, new posts, donations, wiki, gallery, links, referrals..

I feel as if a homepage like the one you've shown us wouldn't be able to supply all the information that our current home page does..

Why not just something short that is just cute / interesting to watch for a second before it fades into the home page that we have now?

Or a different, more diverse design to include more of the things that are included now?

adaffme149

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, , Other
I rather like the new homepage. It's a nice piece of eye-candy to see, before being bombarded with content and information. It gives the site a "professional" look, and serves as a nice "introduction". I would like to be greeted by such an aesthetically pleasing page to start my excursion on the forum, and I mean, we could even add (as he said), a "Do not show again" option, and maybe even have an option intergrated with your profile, to never show it again for you as a user, when logged into the forum. I also like the reminder that the Wiki is there, and this would also emphasize the wiki for new users/ people with questions, and most likely help it become a bigger part than it is. Good work, danny, I say!

Hex

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Sissy
[font="Calibri,Arial"]I know it's probably a bit late now but for fixing IE bugs, have you heard of Dean Edwards scripts IE7.js and IE8.js?[/font]

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
i like the idea. it brings the wiki more to the forefront, which might encourage people to join who were more wiki-centric than forum-centric. having the homepage link directly to the forum makes the wiki seem more secondary.

just a note: our gallery isn't visible to guests, so we probably shouldn't have a link to it on our homepage.

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I really, REALLY like it, Danny! I'd love to see it implemented.

The only thing I don't like is the "Live Chat" link. I think its just asking for pervs to come just for the chat - possibly without joining.

Role
Private
The only thing I don't like is the "Live Chat" link. I think its just asking for pervs to come just for the chat - possibly without joining.
just a note: our gallery isn't visible to guests, so we probably shouldn't have a link to it on our homepage.
I'd definitely support it 100% if these things are taken into account.

As a chat mod, I'd much rather not having to deal with random people who come in (without reading the rules or knowing anything about the site!) and annoy the sensible people in there. This goes for trolls as well, since chat rooms are usually a great place for them to cause trouble.

What I'm thinking is, the Live Chat link should forward the user to http://www.adisc.org/forum/announcements-news/6155-irc-chat-rules-etiquette.html, then the post should be edited to include the IRC details + link to the wiki IRC Chat article. Or maybe just a direct link to the IRC Chat article, which is expanded to include my guidelines post? ... I'm thinking the latter would be better, although the page would then need to be protected or locked so the rules can't be changed by anyone.

As for the gallery, avery summed it up really well. Guests can't see the gallery, so it's a pretty useless link to have. I'd rather lose a few sign-ups if it means having more active people on the forum. (i.e. those who didn't sign up just for the pictures)

Edit: Just signed out and checked, apparently people without an account can view the basic galleries. Moo's restrictions must've been lost in the latest forum update. Nevertheless, I stand by removing the gallery link.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Yeah I love it!

But the gallery link definitely has to go. Perhaps having a link to the newsletter could replace it. Or maybe a link to the social group page, if guests can see it.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur
I don't mean to sound rude when I say this, but personally I think the whole fading thing looks kinda... tacky. I disabled javascript to see what it looked like without it, but then that was even worse. The icons, too, look a bit tacky. I think it would be better of if it was more simple. It's still really good though.

And if you move your mouse over it a few times faster than it can fade in and out, it'll keep on going until it's caught up rather than just stopping as soon as you take your mouse outside the area. :p

Triforceformer

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
I'm not rather fond of this. And if we did do this, you could just bookmark this part of the site, like me.

quattrus

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover, Diaperfur, Carer
I'm positive to the new homepage, it makes clear to every newcomer that Adisc is more than just a forum, while if someone is immediately projected on the forum it may not be immediate to figure out all the additional features. Simple but very professional looking at the same time.

I use Firefox as a browser, and the direct link to the forum is not an issue for me, since as I tipe "ad" in the address bar it immediately shows up the most visited addresses with those initials, and after the new homepage is implemented, the most visited address would simply become "adisc.org/forum" instead of simply "adisc.org", so no problem at all.

Well done Danny! :2thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.