Subject that will surely not interest anyone

trysexiea

Mysterious
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
I have decided to write directly the text in English to avoid bad translation, and up my English level, I'm good to read or listen English but I'm bad to write and very bad to speak English. I would shortly work with my Speech Therapist for certain problem in general so i think it would be increas my English, I'm surprising by my level (yes effectively I have Lack of Trust in me) but i positivity suprise by my write English level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 44078
That's a bold step! I shudder to think how well I would make myself understood on a French site with my long out of practice high school skills (they were never that good). You might consider a sig that indicates you're working on English speaking in case of misunderstanding. Good luck!

Final detail, it's "read" in this case rather than "reed" as reeds are plants or a replaceable part of a musical wood instrument.

Reactions: trysexiea
Practice makes perfect my friend. :)

Trevor said:
That's a bold step! I shudder to think how well I would make myself understood on a French site with my long out of practice high school skills (they were never that good). You might consider a sig that indicates you're working on English speaking in case of misunderstanding. Good luck!

Final detail, it's "read" in this case rather than "reed" as reeds are plants or a replaceable part of a musical wood instrument.

effectively it was a fail Haha

trysexiea said:
effectively it was a fail Haha

Not at all! It's a little clumsy but mostly clear. If you practice, I'm sure it will improve. We see non-native speakers who have a better than the average native grasp of the language with some frequency.

I wish my American children could write this clear!

Trevor said:
Not at all! It's a little clumsy but mostly clear. If you practice, I'm sure it will improve. We see non-native speakers who have a better than the average native grasp of the language with some frequency.

Agreed. I had no real issues getting what you wanted to put across and given the situation or reasoning behind said post, my mind basically took reed while the wrong usage as an example of practicing. Its all good. :)

This English language be crazy yo! :ROFLMAO:

egor said:
I wish my American children could write this clear!

You're lucky if kids (and sadly many adults) bother to take the time to write out the entire word these days. I remember back in my MSN days (Not showing my age...) seeing many chats with ur for your, c for see, u for you, etc, etc. Soon kids will have evolved into communicating solely with emojis.

Last edited:
I only speak choppy English so you are doing better than me and I grew up in the USA!

Good work and keep going. 😁

Reactions: trysexiea
Back in grade 8 (which is middle school, I think) I started watching anime in English, and at some point me and my best friend (who was watching the same series as me) started using English when talking about anime. I think that's when I really started to get a grasp of the language, by using it regularly, so that is pretty much the best advice I can give anyone who is trying to learn a foreign language: Use that language. Don't just study textbooks, watch your favourite series in that language, read books, find someone who is learning it too and talk to them, find someone online who will help you practice, and most of all: Don't be afraid to make mistakes. As long as you can make yourself understood, it's all fine.

Reactions: PapaBear001
LstNwf said:
You're lucky if kids (and sadly many adults) bother to take the time to write out the entire word these days. I remember back in my MSN days ...

Hahaha! Sorry, but the irony of what you're complaining about followed so shortly by using an acronym was hilarious to me. However, I do agree with you wholeheartedly.

LstNwf said:
Soon kids will have evolved into communicating solely with emojis.

Interestingly, this may actually be happening. The "emoji" fills in a very large void that written communication as we know it (regardless of how well you spell or use grammar) cannot possibly feel. Writing as an expression of ideas lacks emotion as well as, more importantly, intonation. Without intonation writing can be very hard to interpret as was originally intended.

For instance, I come from a strong military background, served for 14 years myself, and am desperately trying to finish my engineering degree. I am VERY 'matter of fact' in my communication style as well as having a sense of humor that most (outside my own background) don't tend to understand. When speaking to others, it is very easy to discern what I'm saying as simple observation. When written it is exceptionally easy for a reader to misinterpret something as exceptionally critical or even conveying meaning that is not intended. The addition of a simple little image in the form of an "emoji" can go a very long way to add that missing element of intonation.

I admire anyone who can speak and/or write in a second language. I took French in both high school and college and I remember very little at this point in my life.

Schwanensee said:
Back in grade 8 (which is middle school, I think) I started watching anime in English, and at some point me and my best friend (who was watching the same series as me) started using English when talking about anime. I think that's when I really started to get a grasp of the language, by using it regularly, so that is pretty much the best advice I can give anyone who is trying to learn a foreign language: Use that language. Don't just study textbooks, watch your favourite series in that language, read books, find someone who is learning it too and talk to them, find someone online who will help you practice, and most of all: Don't be afraid to make mistakes. As long as you can make yourself understood, it's all fine.

I learned English when I watch EEV Blog videos effectively is not the simplest videos to learn English but it is very interesting :) I have used no English book, and my English in school was very bad, in this time understand others word than "Hello" or "Goodbye" Haha.

Is strange but I don't translate French to English or English to French, is as my brain switch ender this two language. I'm think in the future my English Will be better than my French. I think is logical since I use only French IRL if I move to an other country, what is planned. I will no more use French.

LstNwf said:
Practice makes perfect my friend. :)
In the ABDL world, practice makes permanent!

english is polyglot by reason of England a) getting overrun by every empire that could build boats and b) the descendants of the conquerors started returning the favor. So pain is French for 'bread' which is Brat in German and brat in English is a poorly mannered child. Which would be a pain in any language. Most languages have a structured grammar but the only rule in English grammar is there is none.

Reactions: Andybun
LittleSissieJolie said:
english is polyglot by reason of England a) getting overrun by every empire that could build boats and b) the descendants of the conquerors started returning the favor. So pain is French for 'bread' which is Brat in German and brat in English is a poorly mannered child. Which would be a pain in any language. Most languages have a structured grammar but the only rule in English grammar is there is none.
I'd say that there are a few grammar rules such as the place before date thing. Like 'I'm travelling to London on March, 23'.
I would call my English level fluent but still have a hard time if it comes to medical terms. I know a few, like tonsilitis, but that's about it. So when I was in England early last year, I suddenly got icky, itchy feet and went into a drugstore to find a creme for it.
But here the first problem arose. In my native language German, there is just one word for it and it is called 'Pilz', and the only translation I could think of was mushroom. You should have seen the cashiers face when I asked for a creme against mushroom on my feet :LOL:
She looked at me like she had seen a ghost and every description I tried, made it worse. This went on for a couple of minutes until somehow the Latin word fungus slipped out of my lips. Suddenly the cashier blinked . "Aaaahhh athlete's foot !", she exclaimed.
This funny little 'language incident' made me to remember this term forever unlike some other medical descriptions. Tonsilitis, for example, I only remember because I have used it endlessly.

StrangelyShapedTree said:
Your English is understandable which is far better than many can say. Keep going :) Do you know Italian?

Thanks, I don't know Italian, if I want try to learn another language I eventually test Chinese :)

Reactions: Deleted member 20009
Back