Stupid stuff you believed in as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Role
Private
As kids, we all seems to get crazy thoughts that, at the time, seem smart, but are really just very stupid.

One stupid thing that I believed was that I thought the world - in real life - didn't exist in colour until colour televisions were invented. I thought everything was black, white or in the grey in between. >_<

Looking back, it's really quite a funny thought. As a generation growing up with colour TV already there, not to mention being so impressionable, it seemed only obvious that colour was not "invented" until colour TV. :p

So what are some crazy, stupid or otherwise funny things you used to think when you were a kid?

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
Kinda related to yours, I thought that in order to be on TV where I lived you had to live far away (because all the shows i watched took place in far away cities) and that if you wanted to be on TV in those far away places, you had to be here.

D

daria7483

When I was little, for some reason I thought that "getting your period" was when you developed pubic hair. Also, my grandmother used to tell me when she thought I was lying that "God doesn't love people who tell lies," and even though I was fairly sure that wasn't true, I thought I'd better tell the truth anyway just in case.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
Okay, I came up with a few....

- I thought people were still going to the moon every time there was a shuttle launch.... because I thought there was a colony, research base, or something like that there.
- I thought heck, crap, and dang were bad words.
- I guess I kinda thought I'd never get older. I couldn't imagine myself as an adult. I tried a few times though. (very few things have turned out as I imagined)
- I thought girls peed from their butts. (wtf)

Aki

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Oh. Every time I watched a movie, I thought the actors were in the TV putting on the show just for me, every time. And I wondered how they did that for everyone else watching the movie at the same time. x3

starshine

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
-I thought babies came from your belly-button when they were born.

-I thought that kittens, and puppies and other household pets came from a mothers womb, a human mother, lol.

-I thought if you took a plane, you had to jump out, I didn't know planes landed and that you had to take a parachute and jump when you got on top of where you wanted to go.

-I thought if you kissed a frog, it would turn out to be a prince.

-I thought that when you grew up your teachers decided what you were going to be, and you had to be that for the rest of your life.

-I thought flowers had lives too, same with trees, grass etc... and that they could feel and talked to each other when we weren't listening, I used to cry when my mom cut the grass.

-I wouldn't cut my hair because I was afraid it would hurt, like the same it would if I cut my finger off.

-I thought Mickey Mouse, Winnie the Pooh and other cartoon characters were real people.

-I thought the tv was actually talking to you, and got really upset when things like Barney would say "Oh hi Billy, I see you Cindy, Hey there Jessica" and they never said hi to me.

-I thought when you got your period you had it forever, and that it never went away. Like, you got it every day, lol, didn't know it was a monthly thing.

-I thought you would drown and get eaten by seaweed if you went into anything but a pool or bathtub.

-I thought when I made a face and I was told "IF you make that face it will get stuck that way" that it would really get stuck, so I tried for hours to keep my face the same.

-I thought that when my grama said "I'm falling apart" that she meant it literally. I had nightmares about waking up, and finding her leg in one place, arm in another, her torso in the chair, fingers in the fridge, etc....

-I thought chicken fingers were the chickens actual fingers.

-I thought that if a girl had boobs that meant they were fat.

-I thought that boys had to stand on top of the toilet to pee since they stood up, I didn't understand how they could stand in front of it. (I tried, and the only way to get it in the toilet was to stand on top, so I thought boys had to do the same, lmao!)

Dawes

Est. Contributor
Role
Diaper Lover
Don't laugh too hard at this. Are you ready? (Shippo will understand! I'm not alone!)

Up until eighth grade, I was baffled by the female body's waste removal system. I never, ever understood how girls -- who sat on the toilet whenever they had to go to the bathroom -- could tell the difference between urinating or defecating. When they were like, "I have to pee," or, "I have to go number two," I was always thinking, "Wait! How do you know?"

Why did I think this? I was totally convinced that girls peed out of their butt! You know, maybe like a bird or something. In eighth grade, I was in a reading group with a rather butch young woman, and at one point, she -- being a tomboy of mass proportion -- said, "Geez, I need to take a dump," or something of that sort. So what did I do?

I gathered up the balls and I asked, "Miriam, how do you know which one you have to do?"

"Vaginas, Rance. We pee," and she made several crude motions to her crotch, "out of our vaginas."

Everything suddenly made sense.

That was the day that I truly grew up.

And I thought that babies came from belly-buttons too, Mandi!

Neonite

Tinyflower Bouquet // 🌂🌸🌼💮🌙
Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Little, Other
I thought that if you crossed your eyes, and you saw one person in one eye and another person in the other eye, in the same "place," you'd make them act like each other or something. XD;;

And then since I was 8 or so, I had these floater things in my eyes, and I thought that they were like spirits, and that everyone saw them. n.n;

I also thought that all babies were born by c-section, like I was.

Monkey

Banned
Role
Adult Baby
My mother told me mixing two different brands of soda is poisonous, still haven't done it to this day.

ShippoFox

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Babyfur, Diaperfur, Little, Other
I remember asking my mom if it was okay to do that. She said yes, then I immediately mixed cola and root beer. (at least I think those were the first two I mixed. It was years ago, so I don't remember for sure.)
I don't think I was worried about it being poisonous, but rather whether it would taste disgusting. It tasted okay, so I did it many more times over the years. :D

andysetra

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Other
I remember asking my mom if it was okay to do that. She said yes, then I immediately mixed cola and root beer. (at least I think those were the first two I mixed. It was years ago, so I don't remember for sure.)
I don't think I was worried about it being poisonous, but rather whether it would taste disgusting. It tasted okay, so I did it many more times over the years. :D

I always loved swamp water, as we called it. I still do. When I go to fast food joints that let you fill your own fountain drink I like to mix a little bit of something into my diet coke/pepsi. Also, Diet coke (or coke zero) and orange juice is amazing! But it kinda looks like poop :(

avery

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
when i was four or five i asked my mom why i had to wear a seatbelt when we rode in the car. she told me that before i was born she'd had another kid who didn't wear his seatbelt, and one day the car door flew open and he fell out into the road and got run over and died. i asked how old he was when he died and she said he was about my age.

she never mentioned this other kid again, so i didn't bring up the topic either, but all throughout my childhood i thought about him fairly often. i wondered what he'd been like -- i wished i could have met him -- and sometimes i'd lie awake at night and wonder if my mom had loved him more than she loved me.

as i got older i started to realize this other kid wasn't real. my parents talked openly about their past, and if they'd had a kid before me that they were unwilling to talk about there would have been holes in their story. i was probably 12 or 13 before i had the courage to bring it up with my mother. she said of COURSE she'd never had a kid before me, and she couldn't even remember the conversation we'd had in the car where she'd told me about him.

i really don't think my mom is the sort of person who would deliberately mislead me that way. so she must have just said something about a kid who died in a car crash and my fuzzy five-year-old mind somehow interpreted it to mean that he'd been her son.

Squigma

Est. Contributor
Role
Babyfur

I always loved swamp water, as we called it. I still do. When I go to fast food joints that let you fill your own fountain drink I like to mix a little bit of something into my diet coke/pepsi. Also, Diet coke (or coke zero) and orange juice is amazing! But it kinda looks like poop :(
Coke, lemonade, a little bit of ginger beer (optional), summer fruits squash, orange juice and cranberry juice. Tastes exactly like those little cola bottle jelly sweets. It's amazing!

Now for some stupid things I believed...

• Ice was poisonous. Yup, I was just eating some ice and mum said "Don't eat that!". And I must've assumed it was because it would kill me.

Oh man, I had loads of funny ones in my head but I forgot them all! I'll try and think of some others later.

Charlie

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover, Sissy, Carer, Other
Coke + Sprite (AKA Sproke)
I'm told it's quite good. :p

I saw one of those little novelty books you see in book shops called "Lies you can tell to children". It had a few of the ones people have mentioned here actually. :D

I can't remember any of my own... That's troubling, maybe I still believe all of them! :eek:

Kraiden

Est. Contributor
Role
Private
I have these 2 rather tiny moles / black spots on one of my wrists. I've had them all my life.

I remember back when I was about 3, that my mum told me "Don't touch those or you'll bleed to death!"

What the hell, mum!? that one comment led me to being absolutely paranoid about touching 2 tiny black dots on my wrists for years!!! Like, if I even poked them, a fountain of blood would piss out and I'd die!!

As for some other things I used to believe as a kid...

--- Mum used to leave out a couple of biscuits and a beer out for santa come christmas. (Yes, Beer!) I was always worried about other families doing the same thing, and santa getting drunk and not being able to deliver any presents.

--- This was back from when I was a toddler, but you know those old school telephones with those curly cords? I honestly thought they were snakes and would hurt me.

--- That I actually had a chance at winning any competition on those early morning cartoon shows. I still want that kick ass battery powered plastic car, you fu*kers.

--- That Hercules was the best damn show on TV. Now looking back, I want to kill Kevin sorbo.

--- That $5 was a lot of money.

--- That McGyver was a kick-ass show. Oh wait, I was right about that one. McGyver rules~!

Oh god, you know.... This just makes me want to be as naive and happy as I was when I was 10. Jeez. Stupid growing up, and making me all grumpy and pessimistic.

Humphrey Sez: Are clouds solid??

Kraiden: Nope, surprisingly. I used to wonder why planes never crashed from running into a cloud.

the0silent0alchemist

Est. Contributor
Role
Adult Baby, Diaper Lover
umm... not ure.. ARGH its soo frustrating right no im reading them and i cant remember.
umm there was one that y'know how asian people have slightly slanted eyes, well my ister made up this rhyme that went,
my mums chinese, (we'de push up the outer corners of our eyelds to siulate the 'asian' look)
my dads japanese (do the same thing only downwards)
and im both,
n the las line you'd push one upward and one downward.

one thing i remembered was that from a very early age i got interested in dinosaurs (still do) and once we were passing a small ravine lke thing while traveling in the suburbs pretty much and i went 'thats where the dinosaurs died' i was apparently three O_O (wow, must have learne about death REALL fast) but y mum when mentioning it used it as an example of my ability to lnk cause and effect (i APPARENTLY have an above average IQ, although it doesnt show all that often)

Status
Not open for further replies.